PDA

View Full Version : Craptastic day

lmlawn
10-12-2011, 09:05 PM
so the day started out ok, started mowing around 7:30, was using the new 48 hydro I got for a steal on craiglist.

so typical day, blowing some leaves, sucking up some leaves and on my way home some jagoff 3 cars ahead of me decides to pull a u-turn from the right hand lane on a 4 lane road and everyone came to a screeching halt and my truck plowed into a toyota priius

Needless to say I have a pushed in bumper, broken grill....the Prius on the other hand suffered much more. and to top it all off it was a customer of mine from my other job.

so it was 3 cars total, im probably, maybe definitely at fault because i was the last vehicle and the jagoff who started this whole thing drove away like nothing happened

2 steps forward....3 steps back

StihlMechanic
10-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Hope you have insurance, sh t happens.

lmlawn
10-12-2011, 09:41 PM
of course I have insurance...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-12-2011, 10:30 PM
the guy that caused the mess is going to be in on the settlement as well, unless he wreckless-drove and ran. Then he is in worse trouble.

lmlawn
10-12-2011, 10:34 PM
the guy or girl who caused it pulled the u turn and fled the scene.....

again, my insurance is gonna go up because I was the rear vehicle. the weight of this trailer with 2 WB's and leaves/grass on my truck....i couldnt stop that fast

weeze
10-12-2011, 10:55 PM
yeah another one of those things that really wasn't your fault but will be looked at as it is your fault...sometimes the justice system sucks balls lol

pinto n mwr
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
at least you got to hit a prius, hopefully it took it off the road. Yes, insurance will go up and I hope everyone was safe.

Golfpro21
10-13-2011, 08:04 AM
wow that bites...hope it all works out and you don't lose your customer

elitelawnteam1
10-13-2011, 08:13 AM
at least you got to hit a prius, hopefully it took it off the road.

I hit one while driving back from my dealer when it was raining bad, couldn't stop fast enough, not much damage though, only a cracked bumper.

Darryl G
10-13-2011, 09:13 AM
I ran into a customer today...literally.

Yeah, unfortunately in a rear collision it's almost always found to be the fault of the vehicle behind. Did you get cited for following too closely or anything?

FoghornLeghorn
10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
How is it the "jagoffs" fault? Defensive driving teaches to leave 1 car length per 10 mph, more if towing.

As much as I'd like to side with a comrade in the industry, I don't see how it was the other guy's fault.

Yes, the jagoff may have done a jackass thing, but you've got to scan the road and be proactive.

cpllawncare
10-13-2011, 09:27 AM
How is it the "jagoffs" fault? Defensive driving teaches to leave 1 car length per 10 mph, more if towing.

As much as I'd like to side with a comrade in the industry, I don't see how it was the other guy's fault.

Yes, the jagoff may have done a jackass thing, but you've got to scan the road and be proactive.

As much as I hate to I have to agree here, I am wayyy more defensive driving when I'm pulling my trailer for this very reason. But I hope everything turns out ok it still sucks I know.

weeze
10-13-2011, 11:17 AM
yeah i always stay way back from people even when not towing a trailer...noone else hardly seems to do this...the way people drive is so wrong to me lol...they drive right on your tail.....they floor it when they start off (wasting gas and putting more wear on the engine) and then they slam on the brakes (wearing the pads faster)...i'll be going down the road and i'll see the light is red so i'll let off the gas and start slowing down (gearing down manual tranny) without hitting the brakes at all and people will be flying past me left and right and then slam on the brakes to stop at the light while the light turns green before i ever come to a complete stop so i continue going and end up passing them right back lol....and i didn't even use my brakes the whole time.....smoothness is the key to driving not jerky motions ....fast starts, fast stops, harsh quick turns, are all bad on your vehicle and can cause accidents as well...everyone is always in a hurry....it drives me insane...instead of being in such a hurry why don't they just leave the house 5 minutes earlier so they don't have to be in such a rush?

IS500Z
10-13-2011, 11:56 AM

+1

Traffic law in most states is fairly straightforward in terms of fault. The OP struck the car ahead of him from the rear. He did not have sufficient control of his vehicle and is at fault for the accident. The OP's insurance will be liable for the damage for all the vehicles involved. In rare cases if you are struck from behind and driven into the car ahead of you, you may also be held partially at fault. Even in states where this is allowed it is rarely enforced.

Hopefully no one was hurt which is the main concern from all aspects.

JDiepstra
10-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Increase your following distance, especially when towing a trailer, and you wont have this problem.

JimmyTheGlove
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Awe man, this brings back memories. A few months ago I was driving my brother-in-law's lifted Tacoma when some ******ed decides to flip a U causing two cars in front of me to slam on their brakes. I saw the whole thing happen so I slammed on brakes but it was raining so I just slid right into a little Honda Civic. Smashed them up pretty good.
I got a ticket for reckless driving and had to deal with the guilt from the in-laws.
Crap happens. And it seems like I'm always there when it does.

michael14
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
There's a lot of idiots that shouldn't even be driving all you can do is not be one but hitting a prius isn't to bad though it could've been a Cadillac
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I hit one while driving back from my dealer when it was raining bad, couldn't stop fast enough, not much damage though, only a cracked bumper.

So you totalled it? Haha..to the OP, to bad it wasnt a smart car...actually, then you might be in jail for involuntary manslaughter..lol