PDA

View Full Version : Mowers that reach 4000 hrs

Turf Commando
10-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Talked to my local mechanic/dealer and told him it's time for another set of spindle bearings for my tthp. After we got to talking he mention a guy who brought in his mower (Walk-behind) the other day with 4000 hrs (original motor and wheel pumps & motor) he said the mower looks like HELL though... Goes to show what happens when you keep up on maintenance...

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
You should see our Exmarks (ZTR's) we leased from weingartz this year..... They look the same way, 5000+ hours on each. There is almost no point of buying the mower if you put on over 3k hours a season. All brand new this year. Gotta Pressure wash them before we return them otherwise we get charged....

Just change the fluids, keep it dirty (holds everything together), Treat them like they are your life (dont run over door knobs and random $H!T)
Thats about it...

nortonlawncare
10-13-2011, 10:31 AM
my walker had some pretty high hours on it before it decided to burn to the ground

ReddensLawnCare
10-13-2011, 11:14 AM
You should see our Exmarks (ZTR's) we leased from weingartz this year..... They look the same way, 5000+ hours on each. There is almost no point of buying the mower if you put on over 3k hours a season. All brand new this year. Gotta Pressure wash them before we return them otherwise we get charged....

Just change the fluids, keep it dirty (holds everything together), Treat them like they are your life (dont run over door knobs and random $H!T)
Thats about it...

How do you put 3k hrs on a machine in one season, in Michigan no less? Assuming you work for 300 days, thats 10 hrs per day, and I doubt you have 300 days to mow in that far up north. Did I miss something?

FoghornLeghorn
10-13-2011, 12:03 PM
How do you put 3k hrs on a machine in one season, in Michigan no less? Assuming you work for 300 days, thats 10 hrs per day, and I doubt you have 300 days to mow in that far up north. Did I miss something?

X-L-S sends him all of his customers that he doesn't want, that's how he gets 3000 hours of mowing per year

FoghornLeghorn
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
All kidding aside, I have a Gravely WB with something like 4800 hours on it. It's a 1999, but we've put so much maintenance into it.

After a while, it became more of a pet project to keep it going to see how long it would last.

newz7151
10-13-2011, 12:26 PM
X-L-S sends him all of his customers that he doesn't want, that's how he gets 3000 hours of mowing per year

what do you guys keep talking about this XLS? I assume there is a thread somewhere that I cannot find.

ReddensLawnCare
10-13-2011, 02:08 PM
XLS is a long time member on here that started a picture thread a while back that was deleted after it got way out of hand, and some outrageous statements were made (mowing 24/7). I have given him a hard time on here, but in talkin to him via PM, He does seem legit, just not at the level, or number that he states. I think he tends to exagerate a bit, but I cant say for sure, I have never met him, just like most guys on here have not.

HenryB
10-13-2011, 06:21 PM
The problem w/hours is many machines don't have meters and people guesstimate. The Deere must have 10000hrs that old Craftsman was my grandaddies and has 8000hrs etc. You'd be surprised at people stating hours when their stuff has no meter.

grassman177
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
a meter or nothing.

a mower does not cut as good with that many hours on it, i have never thought so at least. everything is worn badly. seats torn, steering play etc. no thanks, keep em new and warrantied!!!

jwsland
10-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I have a metered 43xx hrs on one of my emark lazer z's. Its a 99, 60inch with a 25hp kohler. Original engine, not original pumps, spindles, and other smaller replacement parts. It got re-painted this spring and probably could have been brought to the local grange fair and been in the tractor parade!

The darn thing cuts amazing! I cut a lawn yesterday with it, after I got done and came back around front there was a little leauge team holding a practice on the front lawn the stripes looked so good!

I'd post pictures but you guys would probably call bluff thinkin its an older picture :)

Turf Commando
10-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a metered 43xx hrs on one of my emark lazer z's. Its a 99, 60inch with a 25hp kohler. Original engine, not original pumps, spindles, and other smaller replacement parts. It got re-painted this spring and probably could have been brought to the local grange fair and been in the tractor parade!

The darn thing cuts amazing! I cut a lawn yesterday with it, after I got done and came back around front there was a little leauge team holding a practice on the front lawn the stripes looked so good!

I'd post pictures but you guys would probably call bluff thinkin its an older picture :)
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
10-13-2011, 07:41 PM
My Dad bought a 36" FB Kees wb in 1994. He installed a hour meter on it when it was new. When I bought it in 2008 it was on 8450.3 hrs I put 63 hrs on it and traded it for my 36" Ferris. The guy wanted the velky seat bad. It had the orginal motor that cranked on the second pull and used no oil. Dad did not beleive in grease so, the spindles were rebuilt more the several times.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
a meter or nothing.

a mower does not cut as good with that many hours on it, i have never thought so at least. everything is worn badly. seats torn, steering play etc. no thanks, keep em new and warrantied!!!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I BELIEVE IN!

And yes I SWEAR i have over 4800 hours on a machine that i got AFTER i started the season! Now that i think about it, we rented a exmark stander....had it for a couple weeks then turned it back in since it wasnt productive enough for us...then paid a little more to lease a ZTR!

We havent even started fall cleanups yet! I will have over 5k hours on this machine. ITS CRAZY! And all the guys at weingartz who service it cant believe it either. Because it goes there for blades and oil maintenance.
And yes We do usually work from 7-6 sometimes. It all depends on how long the grass is, how fast we work, and the weather.

I rather pay 4,000 dollars to LEASE a mower for the season than keep a machine that has all kinds of problems. This way i dont have to worry about selling a mower that is all broken in. Also if i have any problems i just take it back and get a loaner at no charge. fixed on them.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-13-2011, 07:57 PM
We have a old scag we now use as a gravely we did put a new engine on it 5 years ago but it has got to have at least 4000 on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Father&Daughter Lawn care
10-13-2011, 08:09 PM
I just bought a 1996 SCAG SSZ. Cosmeticly a little ruff but it is fine mechanicaly. I also have a much newer turf tiger and I personaly think the SSZ has a nicer cut.

StihlMechanic
10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Seen 6000 hrs on machines powered by Kubota diesel engines. Seen 4500 on Kohler commands and Kawi FH engines. They were on borrowed time for sure.

Turf Commando
10-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Older mower with high hrs doesn't mean It's inadequate or not capable to cut like a new mower. I have two early 2000 eXmark TT both over 1500 hrs and lay down a finished stripe like no other. If you keep basic wear items replaced there is no difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawkshot99
10-13-2011, 08:44 PM
And yes I SWEAR i have over 4800 hours on a machine that i got AFTER i started the season! Now that i think about it, we rented a exmark stander....had it for a couple weeks then turned it back in since it wasnt productive enough for us...then paid a little more to lease a ZTR!

I am calling major BS on your hour #'s. You live at about the same enviroment as me here in NY so lets say you start going full tilt April 1st, and work 11 hours every day the entire year...

April- 30 days x 11hrs= 333hrs
May- 31 days x 11hrs= 341hrs
June- 30 days x 11hrs= 333hrs
July- 31 days x 11hrs= 341hrs
August- 31 days x 11hrs= 341hrs
September- 30 days x 11hrs= 333hrs
October- 13 days x 11hrs= 143hrs

That is assuming you never even shut the mowers off once for lunch, or traveling to different properties.

2165 hours.

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
10-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Lol. I have cut into the dark at factories by street lamps and mower lights 3 hrs past dusk. It is possible. We cut from 'march 20th till nov 5 -9. Then fall cleaning till snow mid december. When a person says 3 k. Mabe it's an exaggerated 2750 hrs. It's still close to 3000 hrs. On that note my 05 toro 60" Z has 3400 hrs. Runs like the day I bought it but everything has had it's time to break. Exmark 05 60 tracer has 2500 hrs. Changed belts this yr and a seal kit for the hydro pump but that's it!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
10-14-2011, 07:20 AM
My mower was designed to last 10,000 hours. It's a 1991 and only has 3,500 hours. It's going to outlive me!

Biggest problem I have with operating old equipment is decks rusting thru. Most anything else is repairable. New decks are priced out of reason.

So every time I clean the deck I oil it too. I rigged up a sprayer that sprays used motor oil. When I clean the deck I really clean it. Even use an air chisel to peck off all the rusty scale. Then spray it down with oil and try to at least let it sit overnight before using it again. The decks get better each time I treat them, less rust & more smooth blackened metal that don't rust.
I do this a couple of times a month. Even if I've mowed in the rain it's helping.

I'd say if you're averaging 10 hours a day on a mower you need a bigger mower.

Father&Daughter Lawn care
10-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Lol. I have cut into the dark at factories by street lamps and mower lights 3 hrs past dusk. Posted via Mobile Device

I cut till sundown tonight. I was on my largest cut and could not quit. The worst part was it rain hard most of the time. It was a cold rain.

jsslawncare
10-14-2011, 09:07 PM
I am calling major BS on your hour #'s. You live at about the same enviroment as me here in NY so lets say you start going full tilt April 1st, and work 11 hours every day the entire year...

That is assuming you never even shut the mowers off once for lunch, or traveling to different properties.

2165 hours.

One step further
Apr 30 days x 24 hrs=720hrs
May 31 =744 hrs
June 30 =720 hrs
July 31 =744 hrs
Aug 31 =744 hrs
Sept 30 =720 hrs
Oct 13 =312 hrs
for total of =4704 hrs
Remember these are the numbers for running 24 hrs a day.

(And yes I SWEAR i have over 4800 hours on a machine that i got AFTER i started the season!) In his words. After the season started! I'm saying BS too.

TMlawncare
10-14-2011, 09:34 PM
One step further
Apr 30 days x 24 hrs=720hrs
May 31 =744 hrs
June 30 =720 hrs
July 31 =744 hrs
Aug 31 =744 hrs
Sept 30 =720 hrs
Oct 13 =312 hrs
for total of =4704 hrs
Remember these are the numbers for running 24 hrs a day.

(And yes I SWEAR i have over 4800 hours on a machine that i got AFTER i started the season!) In his words. After the season started! I'm saying BS too.

Thats funny. He must have a day crew and night crew.

cclllc
10-14-2011, 10:04 PM
How many hours would you assume I have on one of my Dc'? I bought it in '96 and I have cut anywhere from 20-30 lawns per week.I have a day job so I don't have alot of time.Lets assume each lawn takes about a half hour to mow. I am only using examples so bear with me. Let's also assume we mow 30 weeks and 4 days per week.If my math is right that over 5600 hours.I know for a fact there have been years where I had larger commercial properties where I'd spend hours on so I probably cut more than 30 per week if you were to devide them up into smaller jobs. I am on my second engine and replaced 1 pump. Oh,by the way it still cuts as good as the day I bought it. I recently bought a new seat so it looks almost new when I clean it up.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Older mower with high hrs doesn't mean It's inadequate or not capable to cut like a new mower. I have two early 2000 eXmark TT both over 1500 hrs and lay down a finished stripe like no other. If you keep basic wear items replaced there is no difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

2165 hours.

why would i lie? You live in NY NOT MICHIGAN, how would you know how grass is growingAnd how much we cut.?!?!?! lol Im just saying grass has been long as hell all year. All i know is the hour meter doesnt lie. Im gonna have 5000 Hours + on this machine when i turn it back in.

I dont find that a bragging point, its just a fact. so if you put less on your mowers. CONGRATS to ya! When i had 10 lawns i had alot less hours too!

grassman177
10-14-2011, 10:34 PM
problem is decks wear thin and there is nothing to be done for that. all linkages wear out for the deck hangers, everything wears out so a machine with many 1000s of hours almost always runs and cuts like crap.

with all that wear comes tons of maint to keep it operating decently and that just becomes a money pit. no thanks for that also.

so unless one puts parts into a mower all the time, it is not going to run that well or cut that well for that many hours with out alot of time and money involved( of course there are a few exceptions, but not many) which is just lost profits.

ReddensLawnCare
10-14-2011, 10:39 PM
cuttin: IF your not lying then your hour meter is. THERE IS NO WAY YOU PUT THAT MANY HOURS ON IT IN ONE SEASON. Hawkshot showed you the math and you even said that you got it after the season started. If you have invented a way to create a 8 day week, let me know and I can fix my scheduling problems. I wanna see a pic of that hour meter

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah after you put 5000 hours on one machine per season they are like worthless.
After a while you are replacing more in parts than what its worth.
If you lease it, the dealer does all maintenance, fixes all the problems, then you give it back to them and they sell it used!

Seems like a good deal for 4k

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-14-2011, 10:51 PM
cuttin: IF your not lying then your hour meter is. THERE IS NO WAY YOU PUT THAT MANY HOURS ON IT IN ONE SEASON. Hawkshot showed you the math and you even said that you got it after the season started. If you have invented a way to create a 8 day week, let me know and I can fix my scheduling problems. I wanna see a pic of that hour meter

I wont be in the shop for a few days but I will upload one ASAP!
Nope just a regular 5-6 day week!

cclllc
10-14-2011, 10:51 PM
I had to do some major welding on my decks about 2 years ago but they are still holding up nicely.Of course the stainless needs nothing but alittle polishing.

FoghornLeghorn
10-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Dude, you forgot your key in the on position while you were storing it and it kept the hour meter running, you did not put that many hours on that machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

cclllc
10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Dude, you forgot your key in the on position while you were storing it and it kept the hour meter running, you did not put that many hours on that machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Who are you refering to?

ReddensLawnCare
10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Let me throw one more fact out for you. I realize from reading some other threads, this is not your business, but in fact you work for someone else, doing mostly design work. So, living in MI, I know you dont get 12 hrs of sun all year long, but it averages out to be 12 hrs for almost everywhere. Heres a link to your area http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html

12*365=4380 Explain how that works now? I really think you must be pullin my leg, or someone is paying way to much in service, because your getting false readings

ReddensLawnCare
10-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Im pretty sure the mower has to be running. I know for my snapper pro, the hour meter only works when the blades are engaged:confused: I talked to the rep and he said it was a selling point?? I told him for those of us who use them to pull aerators with, it is a serious issue for the hydro scheduling

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

lol i hope you're joking! haha! Your mower doesnt "pickup" hours while Not running. Exmark ZTR's or dixies for that matter. Dont worry i'll prove it. You guys sound like MY DEALER! They cant believe it when i say i NEED to come in to get an oil change! so frequently

ReddensLawnCare
10-14-2011, 11:10 PM
You take it to a dealer to let them change the oil that frequently? That's 100 times if you do it every 50 hours at a minimum of 30 bucks from the dealer that's 3000 on oil changes. Come on. I need to go bed but I'm distracted bc of this stupid thread. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-14-2011, 11:17 PM
You take it to a dealer to let them change the oil that frequently? That's 100 times if you do it every 50 hours at a minimum of 30 bucks from the dealer that's 3000 on oil changes. Come on. I need to go bed but I'm distracted bc of this stupid thread. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Nahhh i dont take it to them that much! How many times do i have to tell you guys that i LEASED this mower!!!!! They change it maybe every 75-100 hours.

SO for $4000 i get:
-A brand new 60" Exmark ZTR (0 hours)
-THey do ALL Maintenance "for Free"
-Give me a loaner if i have a problem or if i cant wait on Maintenance
-"free Repairs" ETC
-Get it from March-Dec. 31 (or when im done with it)

ITS WORTH IT. Alot of companies in my area do this program

Hawkshot99
10-14-2011, 11:38 PM
-Get it from March-Dec. 31

I really dont care how many hours you put on the mowers. But what you claim is pure lies.

March 1- December 31 is 306 days. Now you said you work 5-6 days a week, but for sake of argument lets say you work every single one of those 306 days, and actully having the mowers running for a whole 12 hours(again I think impossible) 306 days x 12 hours a day = 3672 hours. And that is not taking into acount that you still will be using that mower for 78 more days before its due back(those hours are not on it yet) 78 days x 12 hours = 936 hours. So every day since March 1st at 12 hours a day puts you at 2736 hours max.....

cut level
10-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Yeah dude you sound about as believable as XLS and some of his nonsense talk. Seriously listen to what you are saying it's foolish just do the math.
Posted via Mobile Device

In think Hawkshot has taken the time to prove you completely wrong.

You have to be buddies with XLS with his ranger trucks and walker mowers he is hauling in the beds of them

ReddensLawnCare
10-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Goodnight
Posted via Mobile Device

sealcutter
10-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

lol.... I hear you.
Max
I have a local shop mechanic do all my service and he comes to my shop and works and services my equipment, I just showed him this thread and just shook his head. This is a 30 year service tech on all types of lawn equipment and he said that dealer couldn't make it leasing units like that up 4000 hrs. I had a few meter fail it happens but over 5000 hrs. and swearing by it... Take out the calculator and do the math. You know there are guy's on hear that run these numbers every day and your numbers are hard believe, unless you run 24 hours like XLS. Not flaming you hear but can you explain how you do it? And a picture of an hour meter shows me a machine that has that many hours on it how do I know they were put on in one season of mowing.:)

Turf Commando
10-15-2011, 12:37 AM
I think everyone is off topic. This thread is for others to discuss similar story not argue like toddlers...
David Hagerty made some good points, thanks for sharing.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
10-15-2011, 07:16 AM
problem is decks wear thin and there is nothing to be done for that. all linkages wear out for the deck hangers, everything wears out so a machine with many 1000s of hours almost always runs and cuts like crap.

with all that wear comes tons of maint to keep it operating decently and that just becomes a money pit. no thanks for that also.

so unless one puts parts into a mower all the time, it is not going to run that well or cut that well for that many hours with out alot of time and money involved( of course there are a few exceptions, but not many) which is just lost profits.

That's why I run Toro Commercial grade equipment. It's expensive to maintain, but it's cheaper than buying new mowers all the time.

The Toro 580-D I had showed 8,400 hours on the meter when I got rid of it. And it was still running & cutting great. I just couldn't trust it to get up and go to work everyday. But it was built to last. Heck, it even had a grease zerk on the water pump! Never had a water pump failure. And all those hours would be equal to over half a million miles on a truck.

I wouldn't be a bit afraid of getting a Toro ZTR with a water cooled Kubota and expecting it to last 5-6 thousand hours without major failure.

But you're right about the air cooled stuff. Kudos to the guys who can keep it running into the thousands of hours.

cclllc
10-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Any comments about my post?Thx.

How many hours would you assume I have on one of my Dc'? I bought it in '96 and I have cut anywhere from 20-30 lawns per week.I have a day job so I don't have alot of time.Lets assume each lawn takes about a half hour to mow. I am only using examples so bear with me. Let's also assume we mow 30 weeks and 4 days per week.If my math is right that over 5600 hours.I know for a fact there have been years where I had larger commercial properties where I'd spend hours on so I probably cut more than 30 per week if you were to devide them up into smaller jobs. I am on my second engine and replaced 1 pump. Oh,by the way it still cuts as good as the day I bought it. I recently bought a new seat so it looks almost new when I clean it up.

mag360
10-15-2011, 12:06 PM
This is what 5000 hrs looks like on an hour meter "50000". 500 hrs looks like this "5000". The last digit reads tenths of an hour...

cclllc
10-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I guess since no one is responding I'm lieing too. :)

Showpropserv
10-15-2011, 07:30 PM
this guy is so full of chit his eyes are brown the earliest we got going is right around april 15th or so. We run until dec if possible last year it was early nov when the snow stuck this year is looking to be the same. if you take that 7 months if you are lucky. Remember you loose alot of mower time in spring/ fall with cleanups lawn slowdowns etc. I want to see this mythical hour meter too

cclllc
10-15-2011, 07:35 PM
My hour has been replaced atleast 5 times. So I'm asking everyones opinion based on the facts I have presented.I'm using a lower number because I know I've used it more than what I'm saying. I start mowing here in Tn. around the 15 th of March and continue till the leaves are gone in November or mid December depending when I get to them.If someone has Rye then I may mow even later.

grassman177
10-15-2011, 08:01 PM
lol i hope you're joking! haha! Your mower doesnt "pickup" hours while Not running. Exmark ZTR's or dixies for that matter. Dont worry i'll prove it. You guys sound like MY DEALER! They cant believe it when i say i NEED to come in to get an oil change! so frequently

actually there,mr cuttin to the max, it does acrue hours with power to the meter but the engine not running on most machines. happened a few times to one of our standers. every once in a while the guys would somehow leave the key on at the end of the day, and we acrued alot of extra hours in a short time and when the battery is dead it tends to clue you in on it.

I am just pointing out it is very possible to do, in fact perhaps it is just a faulty meter on your machine. it could happen.

all one would have to do is check the time on the meter in the morn and night. then compare it with the actual time of day. it should be less hours on the machine than hours worked because of stops between jobs uless you leave the machines run.

but even then the math is there as fact it is not possible. sorry, it is ok, but math dont lie

Mudly
10-15-2011, 08:55 PM
That's why I run Toro Commercial grade equipment. It's expensive to maintain, but it's cheaper than buying new mowers all the time.

The Toro 580-D I had showed 8,400 hours on the meter when I got rid of it. And it was still running & cutting great. I just couldn't trust it to get up and go to work everyday. But it was built to last. Heck, it even had a grease zerk on the water pump! Never had a water pump failure. And all those hours would be equal to over half a million miles on a truck.

I wouldn't be a bit afraid of getting a Toro ZTR with a water cooled Kubota and expecting it to last 5-6 thousand hours without major failure.

But you're right about the air cooled stuff. Kudos to the guys who can keep it running into the thousands of hours.

i think its more like 200,000 miles on a truck buddy. i believe when i rolled over at 50k my hour meter read 2.5 k or so. i can double check though if your interested.

Mudly
10-15-2011, 09:01 PM
My mower was designed to last 10,000 hours. It's a 1991 and only has 3,500 hours. It's going to outlive me!

Biggest problem I have with operating old equipment is decks rusting thru. Most anything else is repairable. New decks are priced out of reason.

So every time I clean the deck I oil it too. I rigged up a sprayer that sprays used motor oil. When I clean the deck I really clean it. Even use an air chisel to peck off all the rusty scale. Then spray it down with oil and try to at least let it sit overnight before using it again. The decks get better each time I treat them, less rust & more smooth blackened metal that don't rust.
I do this a couple of times a month. Even if I've mowed in the rain it's helping.

I'd say if you're averaging 10 hours a day on a mower you need a bigger mower.

your intentions are great but don't use used motor oil. stick with used tranny fluid or something that doesn't have any emissions in it. That burnt carbon will do more harm then good, there is a acid in it that will eat away at most steels. Main reason why Steel manifolds and exhaust rot before anything else .

Turf Commando
10-15-2011, 09:26 PM

It will take awhile for rust to go through 10 gauge steel (keep deck clean) I'm replacing 2 deck hangers and front caster bushings, etc on TT... Nowhere near today's asking price for same machine.
If you spend nearly as much time out in the green vs uping your post count you'd understand..

Landgreen
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Maybe the exception is grasshopper mowers. I own 3 and dont plan on replacing them anytime soon. Two are beyond 3K hours. There are wear items but every winter I replace front wheel bearings, tensioner bushings, belts and a few miscalleneous items. The deck does wear but I added a layer of steel to the underside of one. I also fabbed new cowling around blades. About a day in the shop with torch and welder and its good as new.

If a deck doesnt cut well anymore it not necessarily the age of it but rather something wrong with it. Its out of adjustment or something is broke or bent or a piece of crap to begin with.

There is the occasional hydro failure and we did have our dealer replace a shortblock but the repairs dont even come close to the price of a new machine. Maintenance is the key. It took a while to come up with proper maintenance practices but everything is scheduled and logged. Every part we replace is written down along with fluid changes etc.

grassman177
10-15-2011, 10:51 PM
It will take awhile for rust to go through 10 gauge steel (keep deck clean) I'm replacing 2 deck hangers and front caster bushings, etc on TT... Nowhere near today's asking price for same machine.
If you spend nearly as much time out in the green vs uping your post count you'd understand..

funny, i know what a machine will do, i work in it every day. wow, i find it quite interesting that you think i sit in an office or something.....I have lived, breathed, dreamed, crapped lawn care and cutting grass for over 20 years myself. still in it every day of the week, seven days a week weather depending.

i have "worn out" machines many times over to know what will hold up or not, and i am easy on machines compared to most guys cuz i have stake in it rather than someones elses machine to an employee. I know when to expect repairs and such, when a machine becomes a money pit or not. That is really what is at topic here. the productive life of a machine. at some point a machine will nickel and dime you. not just from the parts needed, but the downtime too.

anyways, we own three kubotas and have had many. they will easily go into 1000s of hrs. they are also built for it, most ztrs are not. parts start needing repair on most brands much sooner.

grassman177
10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Maybe the exception is grasshopper mowers. I own 3 and dont plan on replacing them anytime soon. Two are beyond 3K hours. There are wear items but every winter I replace front wheel bearings, tensioner bushings, belts and a few miscalleneous items. The deck does wear but I added a layer of steel to the underside of one. I also fabbed new cowling around blades. About a day in the shop with torch and welder and its good as new.

If a deck doesnt cut well anymore it not necessarily the age of it but rather something wrong with it. Its out of adjustment or something is broke or bent or a piece of crap to begin with.

There is the occasional hydro failure and we did have our dealer replace a shortblock but the repairs dont even come close to the price of a new machine. Maintenance is the key. It took a while to come up with proper maintenance practices but everything is scheduled and logged. Every part we replace is written down along with fluid changes etc.
so is ours. we try veryhard to keep excellent maint on every machine.

i am also very particular, more than that about the correct adjustments to a mower especially the deck.

ochosdaddy
10-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Just leave the key in the 'on' position and let them hours rack up over the winter as the mower sleeps. Just might want to throw a trickle charger on the battery though. ;););)

Turf Commando
10-15-2011, 11:44 PM
funny, i know what a machine will do, i work in it every day. wow, i find it quite interesting that you think i sit in an office or something.....I have lived, breathed, dreamed, crapped lawn care and cutting grass for over 20 years myself.

i have "worn out" machines many times over to know what will hold up or not. I know when to expect repairs and such, when a machine becomes a money pit or not. That is really what is at topic here. the productive life of a machine. at some point a machine will nickel and dime you.
Your nickel and dime rant is old, spending couple $100 or more is by far more business smart then paying $7k for new machine. Which will wear out also and need repair too. Downtime? If you keep maintenance your chance of catastrophe is less likely to happen. I meet a lot of people who "breath" lawncare and they don't know up from down... Also if your cutting grass for 20 years you really need to expand you horizons a little. Mowing is bread and butter, but there's more to a Professional then basic mow & blow service.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
10-16-2011, 07:35 AM
i think its more like 200,000 miles on a truck buddy. i believe when i rolled over at 50k my hour meter read 2.5 k or so. i can double check though if your interested.

Mudly, Thanks for the info, I stand corrected. I looked up where Novelty is and you're way up in the snow belt.

I read what you wrote about the oil too. From what I've seen the used oil is better than nothing at all. And the oil's really carboned up because most of it comes out of the diesels. It will eventually leave a black film on the metal that don't rust and that the grass has a hard time sticking to. And those clean sections get bigger each time I clean the decks.
I'd suspect the steel exhausts are subject to a lot more than just the acids. Like the heat/cool cycle of the engine, water without the protection of an oily film. Maybe that's why the diesel exhausts last longer, the oily exhaust.

grassman177
10-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Your nickel and dime rant is old, spending couple $100 or more is by far more business smart then paying $7k for new machine. Which will wear out also and need repair too. Downtime? If you keep maintenance your chance of catastrophe is less likely to happen. I meet a lot of people who "breath" lawncare and they don't know up from down... Also if your cutting grass for 20 years you really need to expand you horizons a little. Mowing is bread and butter, but there's more to a Professional then basic mow & blow service.
Posted via Mobile Device

i was a little heatd when i posted that too, so i want to apologize cuz i am not wanting to make an enemy out of you. I had a bad day!

so with that said, we are full service company, everything lawn and landscape and irrigation related. so we have been there and done that. in bus for 31 years now.

we run high maint on machines, but we just found a sweet spot with taxes, main costs etc to know when to get rid of machines and never have downtime which is most important to us when having to mow many hundreds of lawns every week. i am sure you can appreciate that.

back 20 years ago, we kept machines for a very long time and replaced parts as they wore, maintained them as best we could etc. for some, that is def the best way to go and it worked good for us then too. now it is much different with the volume of lawns we manage.

i guess i need to clarify that i dont condem using machines for many 1000s of hours if it works for you or whomever, it just gets old to fix them and have issues as they get older....the more that happens.

Turf Commando
10-16-2011, 02:14 PM
i was a little heatd when i posted that too, so i want to apologize cuz i am not wanting to make an enemy out of you. I had a bad day!

Were cool grassman. :waving:

grassman177
10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
good to hear, thanks!

on subject again, i am always amazed to see original engines and pumps on high hour machines. got to wonder the trick or is it luck?! we have had issues with only one model of engine really, the 17hp kawi, pre and post kai. those we are convinced are junk engines. the higher hp ones though we have very little issues with

Turf Commando
10-16-2011, 05:51 PM
good to hear, thanks!

on subject again, i am always amazed to see original engines and pumps on high hour machines. got to wonder the trick or is it luck?! we have had issues with only one model of engine really, the 17hp kawi, pre and post kai. those we are convinced are junk engines. the higher hp ones though we have very little issues with
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Commando
10-16-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought a used TT 23 HP 60" it runs good and cuts nicely the hr meter died at 919 hrs, previous owner said he had it for one year and it didn't work for him neither. I can only speculate the mowers true hrs of use judging by wear items and tires and age of unit its probably close to 2000 hrs... Paid only $2,500 nothing wrong with mower other then cosmetic flaws...
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
I bought a used TT 23 HP 60" it runs good and cuts nicely the hr meter died at 919 hrs, previous owner said he had it for one year and it didn't work for him neither. I can only speculate the mowers true hrs of use judging by wear items and tires and age of unit its probably close to 2000 hrs... Paid only $2,500 nothing wrong with mower other then cosmetic flaws...
Posted via Mobile Device

Have 2 of this unit. One has over 4200 hours on the original engine. Keep the filters clean/changed and the dirt off the cooling fins and they will last a long time. Have replaced all of the engine seals at one time or another though.

grassman177
10-16-2011, 09:55 PM
seems like when we replace seals it is a count down to the demise every time. never get the monies worth out of the repair, always had better luck with a repower aka new engine. of course, it was the same engines that we had issues with so cant say that blanketly at all engines whatsoever.

speaking of air filters, seems like ours stay pretty clean. do you guys change them at intervals or as needed by sight?

Turf Commando
10-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I replace mine once a year but during the year I blow dirt and debris out with air compressor.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackCloudDiesel
10-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I proudly rock a 1999 MD Walker "The Swamp Buggy" has just over 6,300 hours. It has had several different OEM "updates" made over the years, as problems were addressed. So it still runs, drives and cuts very well! Gotta love those little Kubota D-722's!