PDA

View Full Version : BadBoy Mowers Dealer Meeting Pics/Info

TheOctagon
10-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Alright guys I just got back to MN from Badboy's Dealer meeting at the plant in Batesville, AR. I snapped a few photos to show you where they are directing their mowers for the next year. I will do my best to post the pictures first then start throwing out info as the thread develops.

Hope we can keep things on task and constructive. Lets hear what you like/ dont like and any other comments that help out.

ivyslawncare
10-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Someone will ask it eventually so i guess i will. Whats on the castor?

weeze
10-12-2011, 11:57 PM
is that a disc brake on the front?...why? lol...it has reverse doesn't it?

bad boys bad boys what ya gonna do what ya gonna do when they come for you?

TheOctagon
10-12-2011, 11:58 PM
More Photos

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Someone will ask it eventually so i guess i will. Whats on the castor?

It isnt a brake to stop the mower its a brake to hold your casters straight when you are on a steep sidehill. The outlaw doesnt have any problems with sidehilling that i have encountered but i guess this even takes it a step further. Sounds like you work your one hydro much less to keep the machine straight.

chip25521
10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
It looks like a disc brake to me.

EDIT:

Looks like I got beat to it also.

Ridin' Green
10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
I assume that the disk brake on the front caster is to allow the user to lock the front casters in the straight ahead position for side hilling?

EDIT:

Too late. I see TheOctagon beat me to the answer.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
more photos yet

ivyslawncare
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
is that a disc brake on the front?...why? lol...it has reverse doesn't it?

bad boys bad boys what ya gonna do what ya gonna do when they come for you?

Thats what i was thinking but it doesnt look like the ones ive seen. They are a good idea for going down hills so you dont cause ruts. Here are the ones ive seen.

http://tedbrakes.com/zero-turn-mowers-need-brakes.html

Greyst1
10-13-2011, 12:05 AM
It isnt a brake to stop the mower its a brake to hold your casters straight when you are on a steep sidehill. The outlaw doesnt have any problems with sidehilling that i have encountered but i guess this even takes it a step further. Sounds like you work your one hydro much less to keep the machine straight.

That's a lot of weight for such a small braking system. Did you get to try it out? Wondering how it held up? Are the controls on the sticks?

rcslawncare
10-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Iv never had any hill side problems, but havent had any extreme hills. Im sure most people have got close to something where that is mounted, looks like a disk brake off a mountain bike and Id have that thing bent up in a day... I like the guage placement, would like to see more pics of that.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Now for something all new to BB...

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:09 AM
couple more

Greyst1
10-13-2011, 12:11 AM
couple more

Is that a briggs logo i see on the engine or a kaw? My eyes are shot

Hawkshot99
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Is that a briggs logo i see on the engine or a kaw? My eyes are shot

My guess is that it is the Briggs Professional 30hp found on the sitting outlaw.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
That's a lot of weight for such a small braking system. Did you get to try it out? Wondering how it held up? Are the controls on the sticks?

Its really not that much weight. Just keeping the front wheels from wanting to caster is all it does. I didnt get a chance to try it but i can see how it works and that it would help. ( similar setup on the old Schweiss mowers from back in the day built near me but they used a rod that slid across between the casters into some sprocket piece.) Yes there is one brake to control both on the right handle.

I cant say that is for sure the final design of it either and it will be an option not standard equipment. I did see a few other guys driving it on the tar and locking up the brake and turning and the casters didnt turn so it does hold well.

Greyst1
10-13-2011, 12:16 AM
My guess is that it is the Briggs Professional 30hp found on the sitting outlaw.

Are those engines any good? Why not go Vanguard?

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Iv never had any hill side problems, but havent had any extreme hills. Im sure most people have got close to something where that is mounted, looks like a disk brake off a mountain bike and Id have that thing bent up in a day... I like the guage placement, would like to see more pics of that.

I agree that it will probably need more protection for final assembly. There is a heavy plate under the disc that is roughly 1/2" larger diameter than the disc is to help with running into things and just destroying the disc.

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 12:19 AM
What is the price on the outlaw with bagging system? How big is the discharge hose? How much is the stander....did you get to try it? How does it compare to others, say the v-ride, or any other stand on mowers that you have used.

Thanks for the pics, everybody likes to see the new stuff.

Ridin' Green
10-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Are those engines any good? Why not go Vanguard?

That's B&S's new cyclonic air filtration engine that was designed specifically for ZTR mowing. Lot of companies going to them lately I've noticed.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah that is the 30hp Briggs off the standard outlaw. there is also a 26hp kawi FS. I think They are aiming to build a price point stander first to see how it goes over and if it does go well i am sure there will be Vanguard or FX Kawi engines on them later.

This is the main reason i wanted to post all of this. If enough people complain about them not having an FX or Vanguard then who knows maybe they will test one w/ a different engine and release it too.

Sounds like the first models will be 48 or 54 inch decks. the 54" deck has zt 3400 transaxles and the 48 i believe is going to have the 3100's. I wondered how they were going to work out but the machine is a little over 800 lbs and i was really impressed on how smooth it drove. Very nice actually!

Greyst1
10-13-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm a huge Briggs Vanguard fan and the pro series looks pretty efn sweet. I like that the muffler is aluminized. Does anyone know the county of origin on the B&S Pro series?

As for the stander, i don't like how you have to access the service panel to fill the tank, i'm sure down the road there will be a change. Overall looks pretty sweet.

rcslawncare
10-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I agree that it will probably need more protection for final assembly. There is a heavy plate under the disc that is roughly 1/2" larger diameter than the disc is to help with running into things and just destroying the disc.

I see it now, makes more sense something is there

MJB
10-13-2011, 12:32 AM
I tried the 2012 Outlaw Prototype and it had the 36hp B&S Professional, dual exhaust and a lot of power. I like em, only time will tell how good they are.

Also like to know how much the bagger system is for the Outlaw and the Outlaw Stander, didn't know about that one.

Hawkshot99
10-13-2011, 12:34 AM
As for the stander, i don't like how you have to access the service panel to fill the tank, i'm sure down the road there will be a change. Overall looks pretty sweet.

The location down low does help keep the center of gravity down low.

Greyst1
10-13-2011, 12:36 AM
The location down low does help keep the center of gravity down low.

Dont get me wrong, i like that there is a service panel and that the tank is low and inside. I just think there should be a fill tube routed on the outside for quicker fills.

Looks nice.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:37 AM
What is the price on the outlaw with bagging system? How big is the discharge hose? How much is the stander....did you get to try it? How does it compare to others, say the v-ride, or any other stand on mowers that you have used.

Thanks for the pics, everybody likes to see the new stuff.

Whew loaded question!

I dont have official pricing yet. Sounds like early November we will get exact numbers. It looks like the exact bagger that BOBCAT uses on their mowers but i didnt measure the hose size. I will call down when i get back home and find out for ya.
The outlaw will come as a....
Standard outlaw- 30hp briggs cyclonic or 30hp Kohler Command 54" and 61"
Outlaw Extreme- 29 Kohler efi a/c, 31 Kawi, 36 vg 54",61",72"
Outlaw Extreme EzRide- 31 kawi, 36vg 54, 61", 72"

They outlaw and outlaw extreme use the 5400's and the ezride outlaw has a pump/ wheel motor setup for the rear suspension to work. Along with the pump/wheel motor setup they will use two separate aluminum reservoirs- one for each side so they are completely separate.

The stander drove very nice had good weight on the front end. I talked to a dealer who owns a v-ride from out in PA i think and he said it felt a little longer than his v-ride but was less touchy and felt more cushion under the foot panel. overall it was a very clean machine i thought. He seemed very excited about it as well. Had i stayed there another day i am sure Robert (one of the owners) would have taken me out and we could have ran anything i wanted wherever i wanted. Just couldnt stay since i have scag update school tomorrow morning.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Dont get me wrong, i like that there is a service panel and that the tank is low and inside. I just think there should be a fill tube routed on the outside for quicker fills.

Looks nice.

Badboy is very good about trying to minimize the amount of parts a dealer needs to keep on hand. That tank is the same fuel tank on the Gas powered Badboy Utility Vehicle. Its just a little latch you pop and it swings right open. Pretty easy but yeah an external fill would be easier. Time will tell. It really is a clean simple design though and i do like that.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:50 AM
I tried the 2012 Outlaw Prototype and it had the 36hp B&S Professional, dual exhaust and a lot of power. I like em, only time will tell how good they are.

Also like to know how much the bagger system is for the Outlaw and the Outlaw Stander, didn't know about that one.

I think the new baffling under the outlaw deck is going to open some eyes. The original outlaw deck worked really well and this new one is designed to handle the higher grass volumes as well as cut at higher levels better. The diesels will also benefit from the new deck designs this year. I plan on doing a video this spring when the grass is going crazy.

I will get hard numbers on that bagger asap.

StihlMechanic
10-13-2011, 12:53 AM
bod boy mowers, sorry but not impressed.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 12:57 AM

Can you elaborate?

MJB
10-13-2011, 01:03 AM
I think the new baffling under the outlaw deck is going to open some eyes. The original outlaw deck worked really well and this new one is designed to handle the higher grass volumes as well as cut at higher levels better. The diesels will also benefit from the new deck designs this year. I plan on doing a video this spring when the grass is going crazy.

I will get hard numbers on that bagger asap.

I was most impressed with the decks striping ability without a striping kit. Striped like I had a roller on it.

retrodog
10-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Fix that real fast, just mow on the new outlaw XP, and you will change your mind I guarantee.....
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Whew loaded question!

I dont have official pricing yet. Sounds like early November we will get exact numbers. It looks like the exact bagger that BOBCAT uses on their mowers but i didnt measure the hose size. I will call down when i get back home and find out for ya.
The outlaw will come as a....
Standard outlaw- 30hp briggs cyclonic or 30hp Kohler Command 54" and 61"
Outlaw Extreme- 29 Kohler efi a/c, 31 Kawi, 36 vg 54",61",72"
Outlaw Extreme EzRide- 31 kawi, 36vg 54, 61", 72"

They outlaw and outlaw extreme use the 5400's and the ezride outlaw has a pump/ wheel motor setup for the rear suspension to work. Along with the pump/wheel motor setup they will use two separate aluminum reservoirs- one for each side so they are completely separate.

The stander drove very nice had good weight on the front end. I talked to a dealer who owns a v-ride from out in PA i think and he said it felt a little longer than his v-ride but was less touchy and felt more cushion under the foot panel. overall it was a very clean machine i thought. He seemed very excited about it as well. Had i stayed there another day i am sure Robert (one of the owners) would have taken me out and we could have ran anything i wanted wherever i wanted. Just couldnt stay since i have scag update school tomorrow morning.

Ha ha...sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the insight on the mowers. Let us know when they tell you about pricing. Some interesting designs on these mowers. You certainly cant say they wont try new things.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Fix that real fast, just mow on the new outlaw XP, and you will change your mind I guarantee.....
Posted via Mobile Device

That thing rides amazing no doubt about it. Another thing i like is the oil impregnated bushings on the drive levers. Super smooth.

Retro were you at the meeting? If not you missed out on that Grammar seat i took a picture of. Best seat ive ever been on.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Ha ha...sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the insight on the mowers. Let us know when they tell you about pricing. Some interesting designs on these mowers. You certainly cant say they wont try new things.

Not a problem at all! I will answer all that i can and im sure others will help me out as we go.

zak406
10-13-2011, 01:27 AM
If they get the quality of cut up (which I believe was a complaint) and keep the price lower than exmark and scag I would try one out for sure.....

retrodog
10-13-2011, 01:35 AM
The cut quality is perfect now...no streamline brand ztr is any better, were heavily compared with new Lexmark, hustler and SCAG..... All mowers Czt and up will have the tweaked outlaw decks on them. Yeah I was at the meeting. I am k & g mowers I got a platinum award...LOL. we just got home just now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Why are they still doing rubber flap on the deck I think be better have a chute blocker set up
Rubber flap makes that mower cheap looking Most ppl removes it I seen You think they would offer that on there commercial mower

Turf Dawg
10-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I am real interested in the stander. It looks like the controls are set up for the flip up platform to walk behind. I was sure hoping they would have a 42" deck. Does the engine move with the deck are is it solid? Looks solid like the V-Ride. Where is the deck height control lever? Can you raise/lower the deck from the platform or do you need to get off and walk to the side?

Hey Retro, I think I am going to have to give you a call.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I am real interested in the stander. It looks like the controls are set up for the flip up platform to walk behind. I was sure hoping they would have a 42" deck. Does the engine move with the deck are is it solid? Looks solid like the V-Ride. Where is the deck height control lever? Can you raise/lower the deck from the platform or do you need to get off and walk to the side?

There could be a 42" model down the line you never know. The engine is solid mounted and its the electric deck lift with the height pin mounted right behind the engine on the lower right side of the mower as you are standing on it. I bet the flap i covering it for the picture.

retrodog
10-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Holler at me man, the stander has the improved outlaw deck. I am supposed to get one of the first ones, I would recommend the 54 as I have used that deck and was blown away. There was a Guy here with a Toronto turboforce and I thought it was the best cut ever here. I believe the Toronto cut better than SCAG and hustler. Now I actually have something that cuts better for sure. We had 16 guys out comparing here. Had nicks Toro, a cheetah, and a vx4 hustler and were all really impressed with what bb has done for the deck, its a homering for sure.... I haven't used a redesigned 48" deck yet, but they Robert said they have one for the stander.... don't quote me on this but stander price they are going to try to keep around the CZt price which is upper 5's. Will no more about the price closer to January, and I will have one you can demo....
Posted via Mobile Device

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I am k & g mowers I got a platinum award...LOL. we just got home just now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Congratulations! Had i known i would have came and found ya. Been 3 years of going and still havent talked to ya haha.

Hawkshot99
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Why are they still doing rubber flap on the deck I think be better have a chute blocker set up
Rubber flap makes that mower cheap looking Most ppl removes it I seen You think they would offer that on there commercial mower

Every other company uses soft rubber deck chutes now as well. If you dont like it because of the brand then say so, dont make up reasons to hate it though.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Holler at me man, the stander has the improved outlaw deck. I am supposed to get one of the first ones, I would recommend the 54 as I have used that deck and was blown away. There was a Guy here with a Toronto turboforce and I thought it was the best cut ever here. I believe the Toronto cut better than SCAG and hustler. Now I actually have something that cuts better for sure. We had 16 guys out comparing here. Had nicks Toro, a cheetah, and a vx4 hustler and were all really impressed with what bb has done for the deck, its a homering for sure.... I haven't used a redesigned 48" deck yet, but they Robert said they have one for the stander.... don't quote me on this but stander price they are going to try to keep around the CZt price which is upper 5's. Will no more about the price closer to January, and I will have one you can demo....
Posted via Mobile Device

When the 48" comes out im going to see if it will fit under my old pup 48". Maybe breathe a little new life into her.

REDAWG76
10-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I have mowed with them. It is a hydraulic disc braking system that just locks the front caster wheels in a fixed position. Major benefit being it will hold a steeper hill and save the strain on the hyro's. It also cleans up the lines when cutting long straight manicured areas or when striping.

retrodog
10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Every other company uses soft rubber deck chutes now as well. If you dont like it because of the brand then say so, dont make up reasons to hate it though.

Man, they use the thickest, hardest rubber chute I have ever seen.....hope I don't use that in too many sentences...lol. Thats one of the complaints I have on some of the other companies using the plastic firm chute, they just break or tear off, and they get in the way all the time and wont stay open. The chute design on the bad boy, just tightnen up the 2 1/2" bolts, and it will stay open for you.

Aaronnc
10-13-2011, 07:03 PM

Can you elaborate?

I'm not a bad boy hater by no means, I actually was interested in them at one time, I love, love, love their prices, and from what I've seen, they cut very well, but until ROPS are standard equipment, I can't take them seriously, nor will I even look at them. That goes for any manufacturer.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=359040

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=154018&highlight=ztr+deaths

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=149050&highlight=ztr+deaths

SouthSide Cutter
10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Opening on the stander deck sure doesnt look very large to me.

grassman177
10-13-2011, 07:56 PM
looks like a very nice version of a stander to me. very interesting and hope i will be seeing one in two weeks at GIE! yeah,

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Opening on the stander deck sure doesnt look very large to me.

I knew i should have posted these the minute i took them so that i could go back and do measurements as well as take additional requested pictures. Its a 54" deck so it doesnt need a massive opening.

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
does the platform on the stander flip up so you can use it like a walk behind

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 08:19 PM
does the platform on the stander flip up so you can use it like a walk behind

Sure does. The spring and rubber isolator are also adjustable for weight so the big guys dont just stand bottomed out.

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Sure does. The spring and rubber isolator are also adjustable for weight so the big guys dont just stand bottomed out.

Nice....if they are really looking at keeping that under 6 grand and it cuts nice I will buy at least one in the spring. Have you tried it on hills at all?

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice....if they are really looking at keeping that under 6 grand and it cuts nice I will buy at least one in the spring. Have you tried it on hills at all?

I didnt get to take it out on hills, i did have a guy that was probably 225 to 240 stand on it and i grabbed the front end. Took probably 100 lbs of force or more to lift it, had to get my legs into it to get it up. Nice thing is if it gets that bad you can just flip up the foot plate and walk behind.

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I didnt get to take it out on hills, i did have a guy that was probably 225 to 240 stand on it and i grabbed the front end. Took probably 100 lbs of force or more to lift it, had to get my legs into it to get it up. Nice thing is if it gets that bad you can just flip up the foot plate and walk behind.

I like that a lot. I demoed a v ride this week and getting a stander x next week. thinking about going with strictly standers from here on out. Under 6 compared to 8500 seems real nice if it sticks to hills and cuts well.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I like that a lot. I demoed a v ride this week and getting a stander x next week. thinking about going with strictly standers from here on out. Under 6 compared to 8500 seems real nice if it sticks to hills and cuts well.

I really wish we had some grass around here and i could get my hands on one before the snow flies. I want to try it so bad, should have just stayed in Batesville another day.

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I really wish we had some grass around here and i could get my hands on one before the snow flies. I want to try it so bad, should have just stayed in Batesville another day.

What do you have to say about the bb vs. the v ride? As someone else said it does look similar. How would you compare the 2?

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 08:51 PM
What do you have to say about the bb vs. the v ride? As someone else said it does look similar. How would you compare the 2?

I really havent ran the V-ride much either. I wouldnt be able to give a good comparison. Vride uses a pump/wheel motor setup that was a little touchier than the 3400's but could be a faster machine which would make that understandable. I like the fx engines on the vride but like the price point on the BB. I think they will both have a place.

Apples
10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Is the Grammar seat an air ride, or mechanical suspension seat?

HenryB
10-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I really havent ran the V-ride much either. I wouldnt be able to give a good comparison. Vride uses a pump/wheel motor setup that was a little touchier than the 3400's but could be a faster machine which would make that understandable. I like the fx engines on the vride but like the price point on the BB. I think they will both have a place.

Any 60 inchers in the works?

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Is the Grammar seat an air ride, or mechanical suspension seat?

Air ride, you sit on the seat and pump the handle up or down to center the arrow and you're set.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Any 60 inchers in the works?

I didnt hear of any, its just the 54 and 48 for now but im sure a 61 is a real possibility.

douglee25
10-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Nice stuff!

Doug

StanWilhite
10-13-2011, 10:02 PM
The world of mowers is just like the world of cars and trucks. There are certain people that are not going to like Ford (for example) no matter what Ford builds, or how high the quality is. They will find a reason to dislike it, it's just a matter of how far down the list they have to go....even to the point of being pretty ridiculous.

An older friend of mine told me something over 40 years ago that I'll never forget. He said, "you can't please a person that doesn't want to be pleased".

How true.

douglee25
10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
I just trialed a BB CZT and Pup the other week. I really liked both mowers. I thought they built a very solid mower with good pricing to boot. Initially I thought I would be sold on the CZT, but after sitting on the Pup, I really wanted to get the bigger mower (Pup). It turns out I found a left over Gravely Pro-turn for $1000 less than the Pup, so my wallet drove me towards the Gravely. Again though, I really liked the BB line though.

Doug

StanWilhite
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Air ride, you sit on the seat and pump the handle up or down to center the arrow and you're set.

Nice! Having driven a truck for a few years, one of the first things I thought about when I started doing research on the Z's, was why I didn't see air ride seats on them. I think that's a really good idea. Do any other manufacturer's use them?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-13-2011, 10:40 PM

Well Dixie Chopper dont use a rubber chute I didnt say I like it or didnt like Just pointing out something is all Cant hate something I never owned

retrodog
10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
For 700, I think you can add it to any mower...LOL. to the Guy that said he will never take them seriously unless they offer rops standard, they will never until the government makes them, they cause more accidents than anything else. If you want they are $299 on any bad boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

douglee25
10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Well Dixie Chopper dont use a rubber chute I didnt say I like it or didnt like Just pointing out something is all Cant hate something I never owned

Punctuation is your friend!!

Doug

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Nice! Having driven a truck for a few years, one of the first things I thought about when I started doing research on the Z's, was why I didn't see air ride seats on them. I think that's a really good idea. Do any other manufacturer's use them?

I dont know of any other mfg's that use it but i cant say that they dont for sure. All i know is when i put the arrow in the center i couldnt bounce and bottom it out, it was soooo smooth. I will be upgrading all of my higher end mowers to that seat (the diesels i believe are coming standard with them).

Aaronnc
10-13-2011, 11:14 PM
For 700, I think you can add it to any mower...LOL. to the Guy that said he will never take them seriously unless they offer rops standard, they will never until the government makes them, they cause more accidents than anything else. If you want they are $299 on any bad boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I hear ya. Tell it to this guys family: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=359040

I guess Scag, Exmark, Hustler, Toro, Snapper Pro, Grasshopper, Ferris, John Deere, Kubota, & Husqvarna don't know what they're doing.

But I wouldn't expect a Bad Boy dealer to think any differently. Maybe one day instead of charging you $300 for something that could possibly save your life, they'll cut back their Jessica Simpson/Willie Nelson/ flavor of the week endorsements, and make it standard.

And your "LOL" is a pretty crappy thing to post also. My cousin was killed outside of Abingdon, VA 6 years ago when his non-ROPS Dixie Chopper rolled over on him while trying to cut the side of a hill. Yeah, he should have bought ROPS, but it possibly could have saved his life if it was standard. Will never know though. Maybe one day one of your family members get killed and I'll find it funny too.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. Tell it to this guys family: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=359040

I guess Scag, Exmark, Hustler, Toro, Snapper Pro, Grasshopper, Ferris, John Deere, Kubota, & Husqvarna don't know what they're doing.

But I wouldn't expect a Bad Boy dealer to think any differently. Maybe one day instead of charging you $300 for something that could possibly save your life, they'll cut back their Jessica Simpson/Willie Nelson/ flavor of the week endorsements, and make it standard.

And your "LOL" is a pretty crappy thing to post also. My cousin was killed outside of Abingdon, VA 6 years ago when his non-ROPS Dixie Chopper rolled over on him while trying to cut the side of a hill. Yeah, he should have bought ROPS, but it possibly could have saved his life if it was standard. Will never know though. Maybe one day one of your family members get killed and I'll find it funny too.

The lol was about the seat price not the rops.

I can understand where you are coming from as well, yes you can make them standard, but you cant make someone wear the seatbelt and you cant make them keep it folded up. No one said that the all those companies dont know what they are doing. Its as much of a choice for bb to require them as it is for the end user to request them. I have had many people tell me if they came installed they would remove them before they ever mowed.

Hawkshot99
10-13-2011, 11:43 PM

Yea they dont use a discharge chute at all.

Aaronnc
10-14-2011, 12:34 AM
The lol was about the seat price not the rops.

Thank you for pointing that out Octagon. I apologize Retro, I really do. Kinda went off just a tad too fast there. This is an issue close to my heart, just got a little heated. My bad.

I see where your coming from Octagon. My cousin was not wearing his seatbelt at the time either. And I do fully understand that folks can modify them and take them off and etc........

But for the life of me, I just can't grasp charging for and making a safety feature an option. That's like Ford saying, we know Airbags can save lives, but they also can injure people too, so we're gonna charge for it and make it an option. Also, I've known people who disable their airbags too. Another analogy would be the guard on a trimmer. I know more people who run without them, than with them. But yet they still keep putting them on.

I dunno, like I said, this issue is close to my heart. I say make it standard, and what you do with it, is your business. Almost everyone else includes it anyway, so I don't see why not. Maybe one day, a hungry 24 year old scrubby faced kid fresh out of law school with a chip on his shoulder and a death case with nothing but time on his hands will make them wake up and see why everyone else does it. Maybe not.

Until then, I'll keep passing up my Badboy dealer.

newz7151
10-14-2011, 03:05 AM
Another analogy would be the guard on a trimmer. I know more people who run without them, than with them. But yet they still keep putting them on.

A trimmer guard is there to hold the line cutter, to keep the line within the length that the unit was speced to run at peak condition.

Apples
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Do these seats have their own compressor and air bag? I see that Grammar makes 2 different types of mower seats.

MOHUSTLER
10-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Looking at that stander, I smell lawsuit from scag and exmark coming thier way. Not saying it looks bad, Just looks like they copied scag alot on thier handle placment, stance and setup A LOT.

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Thank you for pointing that out Octagon. I apologize Retro, I really do. Kinda went off just a tad too fast there. This is an issue close to my heart, just got a little heated. My bad.

I see where your coming from Octagon. My cousin was not wearing his seatbelt at the time either. And I do fully understand that folks can modify them and take them off and etc........

But for the life of me, I just can't grasp charging for and making a safety feature an option. That's like Ford saying, we know Airbags can save lives, but they also can injure people too, so we're gonna charge for it and make it an option. Also, I've known people who disable their airbags too. Another analogy would be the guard on a trimmer. I know more people who run without them, than with them. But yet they still keep putting them on.

I dunno, like I said, this issue is close to my heart. I say make it standard, and what you do with it, is your business. Almost everyone else includes it anyway, so I don't see why not. Maybe one day, a hungry 24 year old scrubby faced kid fresh out of law school with a chip on his shoulder and a death case with nothing but time on his hands will make them wake up and see why everyone else does it. Maybe not.

Until then, I'll keep passing up my Badboy dealer.

I hear ya man i would be heated in a debate with family involved as well. Wasnt it a few years back when if you wanted the side and other oddly placed airbags that you had to pay a premium?

HenryB
10-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Looking at that stander, I smell lawsuit from scag and exmark coming thier way. Not saying it looks bad, Just looks like they copied scag alot on thier handle placment, stance and setup A LOT.

I think it looks more like the Grandstand

douglee25
10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I think it looks more like the Grandstand

X2. I like it!

Doug

retrodog
10-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Hey Aaron, I did alot of research online, and its true that the Rops actually cause more accidents than save. I am sorry to hear about loss of life for anything, thats terrible. I have had a Bad Boy mower on top of me twice (originally just put bad boy...lol), and I think what actually saved me was my ability to slide out from it before it hit me. I feel that if they would have had rops, the rops would have hurt me bad when it flipped. I have never seen anyone actually wear a seatbelt, even the mowers with safety switches the belt has to be attached to drive, they just clip the seat belt behind them. I have mowed on overpasses before and really steep hills where I felt like strapping the seat belt, but then I thought I would hate to have to ride the mower down the hill flipping, could lose both arms and both legs in the process... The bottom line is they get in the way and hit everything. I had a older guy here that was mowing by his retaining wall, the rops hit the corner of his low hanging shop, mower rolled around on the back wheel and flipped off the retaining wall, almost killed him...

MJB
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I hate buying mowers with ROPS on them, I end up paying an extra 299. and take them off as soon as it gets home. I would prefer it to be an option . The guys that want them should be willing to pay the extra $.

I have to many obstacles and would prefer to bale if I ever have a flipping incident. I am very cautious and feel comfortable without the rops. Some people flat out need them, and I'm glad they are an option for them.

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 05:33 PM
I hate buying mowers with ROPS on them, I end up paying an extra 299. and take them off as soon as it gets home. I would prefer it to be an option . The guys that want them should be willing to pay the extra $.

I have to many obstacles and would prefer to bale if I ever have a flipping incident. I am very cautious and feel comfortable without the rops. Some people flat out need them, and I'm glad they are an option for them.

Ditto......

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Yea they dont use a discharge chute at all.

a ocdc Chute blocker Them rubber flap all they good for is rolling up grass Why ppl takes them off or tie it up

Birdman
10-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Will the brakes be an option to add to an older mower? Just got a Lightning and would like to have had the brakes on it for use on slopes? Wonder how much they are and how well they work?

retrodog
10-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Robert said he will try to keep them around 400. They are really simple to install, and will be able to fit on most all ztrs. They are hydraulic and engage with a touch on the lever.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
10-14-2011, 11:51 PM

they may come standard, but eveyone takes them off cuz they get in the way of real world mowing, and actually can get caught on things and flip the mower BECAUSE of the rops being there. so , your reasons are not justified and although sorry for your loss, it has nothing to do with a standard or option rops.

grassman177
10-14-2011, 11:54 PM

well said, couldnt put i better really

grassman177
10-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Robert said he will try to keep them around 400. They are really simple to install, and will be able to fit on most all ztrs. They are hydraulic and engage with a touch on the lever.
Posted via Mobile Device

are these a combined effort of tedbrakes and BB? curious, cuz you would thing so

retrodog
10-15-2011, 12:37 AM
I don't think so, Ted brakes are like $700, so unless they are undercutting theirself, looks like a different deal completely. If tedbrakes was in bed with badboy I believe they would be offered as a factory option.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
10-15-2011, 09:54 AM

I would be very interested in a 42" stander with a two blade design. 42" fits perfectly through gates. Wide tires would also be nice. Too many of the smaller standers have narrow tires, a rutting nightmare. 42"- make it happen please. When is Badboy releasing these standers?

retrodog
10-15-2011, 10:58 AM
January 1st, I already have 2 guys on the hook, one already wants to give a deposit
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
10-15-2011, 05:15 PM
is there a specs list somewhere for the stander? also is it a suspension platform because i can't see any springs? and can you fold up the platform to walk behind it?

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 05:24 PM
is there a specs list somewhere for the stander? also is it a suspension platform because i can't see any springs? and can you fold up the platform to walk behind it?

No official specs yet. What ya wondering?

The platform is suspended by two springs as well as to conical rubbers. They are also adjustable forward or back for weight. The platform does fold up to walk behind as well.

Jimslawncareservice
10-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Any idea of deck sizes available on the standers? Is it the same deck as on the bigger bb ztrs?
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
10-15-2011, 05:32 PM
wondering about everything: deck sizes & # of blades, engine & hp, weight, tire size, max speed fwd, max speed reverse, cutting height increments & max cutting height, length (platform up), length (platform down), # and placement of anti-scalps

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Any idea of deck sizes available on the standers? Is it the same deck as on the bigger bb ztrs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like they are starting with a 48" and 54" model. Decks are the new outlaw style with the redesigned baffling. Same that will be on the outlaw and diesel models this year.

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 05:44 PM
wondering about everything: deck sizes & # of blades, engine & hp, weight, tire size, max speed fwd, max speed reverse, cutting height increments & max cutting height, length (platform up), length (platform down), # and placement of anti-scalps

54" gets a 26 kawi fr or a 30 briggs with the cyclonic filtration. (engine made for ztrs last year)
48" i do not know what engine options there will be yet.

Weight was discussed a little 54" is roughly 800 to 840 lbs.

Unsure of actual max speed but forward felt like about 7mph but like i said not sure.

1/4" cutting height increments i think it was 4.5 or 5 as a top height but i dont know if that is exact inches or not.

I am unsure on length as well.

as far as anti scalp wheels the 54 has one on each front side and 2 in the front center but i dont know if the rear has the 2 under the deck between the wheels or not. I hope to see more as they get closer to final assembly. I may even try to schedule a trip down to Batesville around late Jan or Feb sometime to get a final once over on the machines and chat with the engineers about what is all for sure changed or different on the new machines.

Jimslawncareservice
10-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Mulch kits an option? Any talk of a rear bagger for the standers? I'll have to set up a demo if you have one in the spring. I know I will ne getting a stander for next year. I'll have to get a price when you get them.
Posted via Mobile Device

j-ville native
10-15-2011, 06:23 PM
thanks for the info. in my opinion those 2 deck sizes are too similar with only 6 inches difference between the 2. i wish they would offer a smaller deck size. also the 7mph seems very slow if your estimate is right about the max speed.

retrodog
10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Mulch kits are already available on those decks, and the 54" mulches really well. There is also gonna be a 61" option too. If I know Bad Boy, the same engine will be available on all decks, I have alot of 48" Pups running around here with 30hp Kohler Commands on them...

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Mulch kits an option? Any talk of a rear bagger for the standers? I'll have to set up a demo if you have one in the spring. I know I will ne getting a stander for next year. I'll have to get a price when you get them.
Posted via Mobile Device

As retro said mulch kits are already available i assume the just need to be retooled to the new baffling. I havent heard of a bagger yet but im sure if they get enough call they will have a few at humbolt for them to try to rig something up.

I will have one or my rep will to demo. I want to get out and demo next year a lot more than i got to this year. We'll have to keep in touch for sure.

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 06:59 PM
thanks for the info. in my opinion those 2 deck sizes are too similar with only 6 inches difference between the 2. i wish they would offer a smaller deck size. also the 7mph seems very slow if your estimate is right about the max speed.

Like i say its hard to estimate, maybe it was 8 i dunno. They are 3400 series transaxles and it was i believe a 23x 10.50x 12 tire so i know it could be capable of more unless it was spec'd with a different ratio.

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Mulch kits are already available on those decks, and the 54" mulches really well. There is also gonna be a 61" option too. If I know Bad Boy, the same engine will be available on all decks, I have alot of 48" Pups running around here with 30hp Kohler Commands on them...

Hey Retro i didnt hear about the 61" option. Is that coming right away w/ the 48 and 54? If so i would love to see it with a 28-32hp Vanguard on it !!!!!!

Jimslawncareservice
10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok wasn't sure. Not familiar with bb. Any idea of ship dates? You know when dealers start getting them in
Posted via Mobile Device

douglee25
10-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Like i say its hard to estimate, maybe it was 8 i dunno. They are 3400 series transaxles and it was i believe a 23x 10.50x 12 tire so i know it could be capable of more unless it was spec'd with a different ratio.

The 3400's are typically good for 10mph assuming the pullies are around the same diameter as most other riders.

Doug

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok wasn't sure. Not familiar with bb. Any idea of ship dates? You know when dealers start getting them in
Posted via Mobile Device

If they have everything going by jan 1 then its just a matter of whenever we want to order and we usually receive shipment within 10 days sometimes a few more days during peak time. I usually order around mid feb or early march.

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
The 3400's are typically good for 10mph assuming the pullies are around the same diameter as most other riders.

Doug

Thats what i was thinking but i didnt know if they did something to slow em down on the stander. 10 is booking along while standing.

j-ville native
10-15-2011, 07:59 PM
10 is more like it!

Now let's get started on the 42" stander prototypes, badboy

retrodog
10-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I used a zk with a 31hp Kawasaki and the Rep said it went 15mph, now that's booking while standing, I loved the 11800 price, I thought he was joking...LOL. i actually had our 35hp 4 cylinder cat diesel out on the property we were demoing and i had the rep mow on it. I asked him which one he would buy at my dealership sitting side by side for the same price...he just looked down....lol. yeah Robert said they are gonna throw the 61" on as an option too. I don't understand the 48, they dropped the deck last year due to low sales numbers, now they are gonna use it again? I see a 42 and 54 option as being better spread...
Posted via Mobile Device

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 09:18 PM
I used a zk with a 31hp Kawasaki and the Rep said it went 15mph, now that's booking while standing, I loved the 11800 price, I thought he was joking...LOL. i actually had our 35hp 4 cylinder cat diesel out on the property we were demoing and i had the rep mow on it. I asked him which one he would buy at my dealership sitting side by side for the same price...he just looked down....lol. yeah Robert said they are gonna throw the 61" on as an option too. I don't understand the 48, they dropped the deck last year due to low sales numbers, now they are gonna use it again? I see a 42 and 54 option as being better spread...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha gotta love it when you can win hands down like that. I was hoping to see a 61" just had not heard anything about it. I am sure the 48" on a stander will have its place but yeah a gate friendly stander would maybe be a better option.

nepatsfan
10-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe based on looks alone but I wouldn't discount it that easily. You can buy that machine about 3 grand less than you quoted.
http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/SummaryPageforPDFforWeb20110909.pdf

I mean i'm just saying...its 2 grand less all day long and times you can buy it for almost 3 grand less than what you said. I am interested in BB but cut quality is important to us, which wright sucks too. I haven't tried their new aero core deck...demoing one next week.

Take your diesel BB on some hills against the ZK......Watch his face then

nepatsfan
10-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Ha gotta love it when you can win hands down like that. I was hoping to see a 61" just had not heard anything about it. I am sure the 48" on a stander will have its place but yeah a gate friendly stander would maybe be a better option.

Go easy with the pom poms guys. Back down to earth here

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Go easy with the pom poms guys. Back down to earth here

haha sorry didnt mean to get so excited.

nepatsfan
10-15-2011, 10:02 PM
haha sorry didnt mean to get so excited.

Lol....take a few deep breaths and try not to think about the new wheel lock:laugh:

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Lol....take a few deep breaths and try not to think about the new wheel lock:laugh:

Hey if i was mowing lots of sidehills that wheel brake would be on my mower for sure. I can only imagine how much it would save on hydros if you had long distances or very steep inclines to mow.

nepatsfan
10-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey if i was mowing lots of sidehills that wheel brake would be on my mower for sure. I can only imagine how much it would save on hydros if you had long distances or very steep inclines to mow.

This is why you shouldn't think about it. You are getting all excited again:laugh: We cant say you arent passionate.

Not to bring up the rops thing again but I would think that wheel lock would be dangerous going across a hill that was steep enough to need it. Instead of the mowers front casters giving way and moving down the hill the front wheels stay locked going straight and what happens to the machine. You cant feather the sticks to keep yourself going....seriously, I'm not knocking it,maybe it wouldn't tip that way but it would seem to me that something would have to give. Think about it.....any thoughts on it. It sounds like a good idea, but that is what comes to mind

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 10:23 PM
This is why you shouldn't think about it. You are getting all excited again:laugh: We cant say you arent passionate.

Ha i know man i know. Gotta have that kinda passion for what ya sell or ya wont sell a thing.

FlemingIslandLawnService
10-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd be interested in a 42. Even the 48 is too big for some of these small residential lawns here in Florida.

Jimslawncareservice
10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
the one thing is those tires on the stander look they dont have much cusion. and whats that toggle switch for on the middle dash panel on the stander?

TheOctagon
10-17-2011, 10:45 AM
the one thing is those tires on the stander look they dont have much cusion. and whats that toggle switch for on the middle dash panel on the stander?

I noticed they used a bigger tire as well. I think the extra cushion on the foot platform will make up for it though.

The toggle switch is for the electric deck lift.

Jimslawncareservice
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Ahh. Nice. Thats a first
Posted via Mobile Device

TheOctagon
10-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Ahh. Nice. Thats a first
Posted via Mobile Device

I like that it is on the machine as well. They hold up extremely well even on 72" decks and on the ztr's they are out in the elements where as on the stander they are inside with the fuel tank so they will be protected even that much more. Also they are incorporating the foot lift with the electric deck lift on the outlaw machines and also the diesels i believe.

j-ville native
10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
I was itching to find out a little more info on the stand-ons so I called Bad Boy (I got their number off their website) and spoke to a gentleman in the sales department who said that they are currently testing the stand-ons in Florida and will be making their final tweaks in the next couple months. They are looking to release the 54" and 48" units sometime between Jan-March 2012. He said deck sizes will stay in about 6" increments and they will add a 60 or 61" later in 2012/2013 and some smaller units, probably a 36" and 42" in 2013. Prices for the 2012 48" and 54" kawasaki unit will be around $6500 and the briggs will be around $6000. I assume prices will also vary some based on deck size. That's about all the new info I got. Everything else he was willing to tell me has already been mentioned in this thread.

douglee25
10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Good info.

Doug

Jimslawncareservice
10-18-2011, 05:29 PM
At that price I'm sure they will sell a ton. Now the red and Orange mowers are 2000 2500 higher
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
At that price I'm sure they will sell a ton. Now the red and Orange mowers are 2000 2500 higher
Posted via Mobile Device

scag v ride on the fleet program 6800 for a 52 inch velocity and a 26hp kawi

TheOctagon
10-18-2011, 06:01 PM
scag v ride on the fleet program 6800 for a 52 inch velocity and a 26hp kawi

That is only valid if they do a 1 vride fleet program again. If not then you are stuck with a minimum of 2 mowers. Not a huge deal for most lco's but some cant afford to buy 2 mowers at once or dont need 2. That was an amazing price on them though!

nepatsfan
10-18-2011, 06:05 PM
That is only valid if they do a 1 vride fleet program again. If not then you are stuck with a minimum of 2 mowers. Not a huge deal for most lco's but some cant afford to buy 2 mowers at once or dont need 2. That was an amazing price on them though!

Yeah...It is a great price. It wasn't a knock on badboy, just seems that whenever anyone tries to show the value of the BB they throw an inflated competitors price out there. Simply isnt true. Even without the promotion that mower isn't even 1500 more kawi vs. kawi

TheOctagon
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah...It is a great price. It wasn't a knock on badboy, just seems that whenever anyone tries to show the value of the BB they throw an inflated competitors price out there. Simply isnt true. Even without the promotion that mower isn't even 1500 more kawi vs. kawi

I hear what ur sayin. We'll see if those are exact prices or not once the official pricing comes out.

douglee25
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Pricing is also region dependent. Some of the pricing that people quote out in the middle of no where is very different than a suburb of Philadelphia.

DOug

TheOctagon
10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Pricing is also region dependent. Some of the pricing that people quote out in the middle of no where is very different than a suburb of Philadelphia.

DOug

Very True. Badboy Pricing since all mowers come factory direct should be very very close throughout the country though.

nepatsfan
10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Either way. I am excited to see this machine up close and personal. Competition is great for the consumer.

Jimslawncareservice
10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Here's what I've been quoted here in mn. Scag 61 8699 exmark 52 7999. Scag had their fleet pricing on one unit but we will see if they do it again. Exmark had 500 off. These are retail pricing with no program. So if bb it truly 6500 there is a good gap. If they offered fleet deals you still would have the same gap. My deere dealer quoted me 6500 for a 657 or 6000 each for 2 or more.I do know where I could get 2 48/20 vantages new for 6k each
Posted via Mobile Device

retrodog
10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, on the pricing my rep said they are gonna be in the CZT range which is $5499 to $5899. I think the 26hp kawasaki fs is around same as the 30hp briggs engine, maybe the price for either will be the same, now looking at both the kawa is a little cheaper than the briggs retail.... If you really think about it, $1500 difference doesn't sound like alot, but percentage wise, that is a pretty stout difference.... Bad Boy's aren't considerably cheaper than everyone else, its just the mower, engine, and tranny generally come out better, and they seem to offer more "mower" for your money when sitting side by side with everyone else, and then you get a discount on top of that...

GMLC
10-18-2011, 07:12 PM
I was just quoted $6800.00 on a 52" v-ride and $7000.00 for a 52" vantage. Will be getting a quote on a grandstand next. Keep in mind I have worked with my dealer since the mid 90's.

djagusch
10-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Here's what I've been quoted here in mn. Scag 61 8699 exmark 52 7999. Scag had their fleet pricing on one unit but we will see if they do it again. Exmark had 500 off. These are retail pricing with no program. So if bb it truly 6500 there is a good gap. If they offered fleet deals you still would have the same gap. My deere dealer quoted me 6500 for a 657 or 6000 each for 2 or more.I do know where I could get 2 48/20 vantages new for 6k each
Posted via Mobile Device

Jim,

You know that the 61 vride sells lower than $8699, you know that. A 48" vride was in the mid 6K this spring. The 61" vride is in the mid 7K. If Bad Boy is in the mid 6K it would be a no brainer to buy the Scag. They need to be in the low 5K range to make people buy the Bad Boy.

djagusch
10-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Octagon,

What is your unit sales of Scag's and of Bad Boy's? What city are you in?

TheOctagon
10-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Octagon,

What is your unit sales of Scag's and of Bad Boy's? What city are you in?

I sold 5 scags and 9 badboys this year i think. It was my slowest year so far but i guess its technically not over yet.

I am in the big town of Ormsby, all 150 of us. No true commercial markets within 40 miles of me which is sad.

Jimslawncareservice
10-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Dustin, this is what I was quoted this spring. I have it some where. It was 7500 for 52 and 500 less for 48 then 500 less for 36. There wasn't much difference in price vs 61 or 52 wild cat.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I sold 5 scags and 9 badboys this year i think. It was my slowest year so far but i guess its technically not over yet.

I am in the big town of Ormsby, all 150 of us. No true commercial markets within 40 miles of me which is sad.

That is what I narrowed it down to. Probably sell alot a farmers mowers in the area. Price point is a big factor for that market.

j-ville native
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Jim,

You know that the 61 vride sells lower than $8699, you know that. A 48" vride was in the mid 6K this spring. The 61" vride is in the mid 7K. If Bad Boy is in the mid 6K it would be a no brainer to buy the Scag. They need to be in the low 5K range to make people buy the Bad Boy.

I agree with this. You can get a much more proven machine for just a little bit more coin and you should spend the extra money for a scag, exmark, or toro stand-on until badboy proves themselves with their stand-on.

demhustler
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
how new decks different from old?
what affected quality of cut? what have been changed?
is there picture of underneath of the new deck?

TheOctagon
10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
That is what I narrowed it down to. Probably sell alot a farmers mowers in the area. Price point is a big factor for that market.

99 percent of my market is the farming community. I want to try to get into the mankato area for commercial but i have to make sure i do it right the first time cuz i wont get a second chance.

TheOctagon
10-19-2011, 12:01 AM
how new decks different from old?
what affected quality of cut? what have been changed?
is there picture of underneath of the new deck?

I couldnt get a picture while i was there. It is basically new baffling, but im sure there is more to it than just that.

GravelyGuy
10-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
99 percent of my market is the farming community. I want to try to get into the mankato area for commercial but i have to make sure i do it right the first time cuz i wont get a second chance.

That town has grown greatly since I went to college there. A hr trip for parts/service is a hard sell. I would try to offer parts delivered once a week. A call every Monday morning and bring it to them tues/wed. Keeps you in touch and most likely you go there once a week for household stuff. Get jeff from pace down there knocking on doors with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

willowick
10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Octagon - I live in the boonies and my dealer is about an hour away. They do a winter service special where they pick up/drop off the machine and go through it with a fine-toothed comb. Heck, they even wax the darn thing.
I doubt they make a ton of money on the deal but it does keep them in front of their customers, keeps work going during the winter and builds lots of goodwill. It also does a few other things - it keeps their customer list current, if something major is about to go wrong, they identify a sales lead. If the mower is an in-demand model, it's a hang tag opportunity to get used inventory as well as the sale of a new machine.

The deal runs January-March 15th.
Just a thought!

As far as Badboy, I hope the new models are great! Another serious player in the game is good for the buyer and the seller. Choice is good.

HenryB
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I agree with this. You can get a much more proven machine for just a little bit more coin and you should spend the extra money for a scag, exmark, or toro stand-on until badboy proves themselves with their stand-on.

I see it different. One the Scag is tough I'm sure, but not very comfortable. The Toro is supposed to be much more comfortable. I'm holding off on the Scag for this reason. My guy's ran one and would prefer a WB w/ a sulky9says something). My guys have run every ZTR and Stander out there so they have experience. Also Scag and Exmark have both put out garbage so it's not always a home run from them. Scag's Turfrunner, Exmarks Triton deck. Heck even Bobcat and Hustler continuing to run Big Block Kawy's Despite their horriffic track records.

TheOctagon
10-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Octagon - I live in the boonies and my dealer is about an hour away. They do a winter service special where they pick up/drop off the machine and go through it with a fine-toothed comb. Heck, they even wax the darn thing.
I doubt they make a ton of money on the deal but it does keep them in front of their customers, keeps work going during the winter and builds lots of goodwill. It also does a few other things - it keeps their customer list current, if something major is about to go wrong, they identify a sales lead. If the mower is an in-demand model, it's a hang tag opportunity to get used inventory as well as the sale of a new machine.

The deal runs January-March 15th.
Just a thought!

As far as Badboy, I hope the new models are great! Another serious player in the game is good for the buyer and the seller. Choice is good.

I like this idea. Wish i had a bigger shop to cater to this a little easier. I may have to look into doing something like this though. Worth the effort i think. Its win win since most people with until they want to mow to realize their machine isnt working correctly.

TheOctagon
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
That town has grown greatly since I went to college there. A hr trip for parts/service is a hard sell. I would try to offer parts delivered once a week. A call every Monday morning and bring it to them tues/wed. Keeps you in touch and most likely you go there once a week for household stuff. Get jeff from pace down there knocking on doors with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is a good idea. There is always a reason to run to Kato and this would help as double duty. I just want to build up my parts inventory better w/ scag and badboy before i jump into the commercial market. I dont want to upset potential/new customers right off the bat. Its tough dropping all your profits into parts that sit on the shelf, but i assume a few years down the road things will start to wear out and i will start selling more than belts, pullies and filters.

djagusch
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I like this idea. Wish i had a bigger shop to cater to this a little easier. I may have to look into doing something like this though. Worth the effort i think. Its win win since most people with until they want to mow to realize their machine isnt working correctly.

Another way to do as my dealer does. Has a customer list that he calls on March 1st. Starts mower pickups 4th week of March till it's done (usually 3 wks worth). He sends out a guy with a pick up and a 24ft enclosed trailer and loads as many mowers in it as he can (he's been doing it for almost 30 yrs so he has route's, etc). Unloads the trailer and try's to turn the trailer load within a day. Basically the driver rotates pick up and drop off days. Sometimes parts get in the of being the most efficent but you don't have the mowers sitting taking up space.

Basic sharpen/replace blades, replace fuel/air/oil filter/oil, replace plugs check belts, grease, etc. Basically giving the mower the best chance not to break down during the season.

djagusch
10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
That is a good idea. There is always a reason to run to Kato and this would help as double duty. I just want to build up my parts inventory better w/ scag and badboy before i jump into the commercial market. I dont want to upset potential/new customers right off the bat. Its tough dropping all your profits into parts that sit on the shelf, but i assume a few years down the road things will start to wear out and i will start selling more than belts, pullies and filters.

With the Scag program can't you return any parts from your spring order each year. I have thought of becoming a dealer and was told this. Also if you sold 5 Scags how many were the same model? The hydro drive belt on a TT is the same from 03 to current, most pto/deck belt's are the same, 61" deck belt is the same between years/deck.

Commerical guy expects the safety switch, pto switch, belts, deck rollers, spindles, filters on hand. Hydro's and clutch's are nice but not needed. Pretty sure you are a order on Mon and should have on Wed (hence why I said call on Mon and delivery tues/wed).

I would look into the spring parts order and return policy from pace. That way you could stock the clutches or hydro's and not be stuck money. Other thing would become friends with Rich at MN maintaince as he stocks everything I heard and could help in a pinch.

Also have Jeff come down and knock on doors with you (you couldn't push BB infront of him but follow up's you could). Having the rep in front of the end user makes us believe there is good support happening.

douglee25
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
I don't know if manufacturers will do this for you, but it could be worth asking... Instead of the dealer purchasing parts that may not move often like clutches, hydros, etc, the manufacturer may either give the dealer those parts at no cost or little upfront cost (not full manufacturer to dealer price). I know a lot of times OEM's will do this for plant store rooms. It lessen's the upfront cost while decreasing downtime.

Doug

TheOctagon
10-19-2011, 06:52 PM
These are all really good ideas! I know i need to do a few changes this winter and i want to have them all in place before the snow begins to melt come spring time.

TheOctagon
10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Just got the word that it is a 6" tube on the bagger system for those who were inquiring.

Jimslawncareservice
10-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Wow should be an 8" for a 61" and larger decks. Would even help on smaller decks as well. I had both 6" on a 52" deck then 8" on a 60 deck. I went from mowing and collecting leaves at 4-5 mph up 8-10 mph
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I realize this is a very small issue, but I was just wondering if you happened to notice if any of the new mowers have an oil drain valve and line for the 26 hp LC Kawi? As some of you know, draining the oil (and keeping it off of the PTO and belt) on an '09 Lightning (w /26 LC Kawi) could be made much easier with a simple oil drain valve and drain line.

My son stopped by the hardware store the other day to try to fab up a drain line for my Lightning, but the guy at the store couldn't match up any threads to the original drain plug threads.

I don't know if the young man at the store was just inexperienced or if these threads on the Kawi oil drain plug are different from anything a typical store (Ace in this case) would have?

Thanks in advance guys, Stan.

grassman177
10-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Rode the new stander outlaw at gie, very smooth controls.really comfy as well.very impressed.it was long though and they plan on shortening it ijn the front
Posted via Mobile Device

CurbGuyNC
10-28-2011, 09:29 PM
More Photos

Is this a new bagging system? I thought they had a different one I saw in their catalog.

puppypaws
10-30-2011, 11:33 AM

That is a very funny statement, farmers are making the most money ever made in the history of farming and can afford to buy anything they feel the need for. When you are buying 400k dollar combines and 300k dollar tractors, how could you believe buying a 15k mower would affect a farmer. I generated enough income to buy a 15k dollar mower on the first 13 acres of corn I harvested this year, with about 3 hrs total work time involved in spraying, planting, and harvesting the entire 13 acres. Do you, or have you ever generated 15k gross income in 3 hrs, I would say not.....LOL

Golden Boy
10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
After reading 7 pages of people saying that ROPS bars are never used and they just cause more accidents. I just fast forwarded to the end to add my .02. The company that I work for has a guideline that the ROPS must stay upright at all times. Lazers are a type of Wide Area Mower. They should just be used in wide open areas. It is much more time effective to use a walk behind to mow around beds or trees. Of the 35 mowers in the company only 6 are Lazers. Of those lazers, they are only used on wide open areas. You can make a better cut and do less damamge in tight areas with a walk behind. Too often around here I see small companies with only lazers because its easier that way, not because its better for the site or they think that it can work on any site. Wrong!!!

Ok, start your arguments.....

djagusch
10-30-2011, 02:32 PM
That is a very funny statement, farmers are making the most money ever made in the history of farming and can afford to buy anything they feel the need for. When you are buying 400k dollar combines and 300k dollar tractors, how could you believe buying a 15k mower would affect a farmer. I generated enough income to buy a 15k dollar mower on the first 13 acres of corn I harvested this year, with about 3 hrs total work time involved in spraying, planting, and harvesting the entire 13 acres. Do you, or have you ever generated 15k gross income in 3 hrs, I would say not.....LOL

I never said they didn't have money. The point was they are very tight with their money. If a bar had $1 drinks a farmer would wait 2 hrs for happy hour to get them at 50 cents. At least that is what my family members that are farmers would do. They have money but don't spend it.

puppypaws
10-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I never said they didn't have money. The point was they are very tight with their money. If a bar had $1 drinks a farmer would wait 2 hrs for happy hour to get them at 50 cents. At least that is what my family members that are farmers would do. They have money but don't spend it.

Ask your family members that are farmers if they did not make the most money ever made in their lifetime of farming this year. The farmers I know are more stressed out about making what would be an over abundance of money this year. The government forces you to spend money if you are a farmer and generate too much income. The government does not understand allowing a farmer to set back money for what may be a bad weather or low commodity price year that could easily follow the good year. They want all the tax that can be gathered from the profit a farmer makes, so they can turn around and use taxpayer's money to subsidize the same farmer in coming years. They force farmers to spend money in an attempt to keep them from giving the government too much money in taxes.

Maybe this is part of governments plan to keep money in circulation while helping the economy, I honestly don't know. We can't buy enough new farm equipment, grain storage, and new trucks to offset the difference.

Believe me, the people that farm in your area, family members or whatever, made the most money ever made in the history of farming this year. The farmers in my area, including myself, averaged in the mid 80 bu. per acre range on wheat and sold it from $8 to $8.65 per bushel. Averaged in the 140 to 160 bu. range on corn and got $7.50 to $8.25 per bushel. The soybeans now being cut are in the mid 40 to 60 bu. range and we pre-sold in the $14.00 range.

We have no reason in my area to be tight with money, one thing about farmers where I'm located (and it has a great deal to do with taxation), when they make money, they spend money, and the economy really notices the difference. The farmers in my part of the country have the best and largest equipment used in the farming industry, and do not blink an eye at spending 1 or 2 million on new equipment in a good year. Farming has only been this good for the past few years, before that there were quite a few low income years. The demand is beginning to outweigh production throughout the world, and this is the reason we have seen unprecedented commodity prices in 2011. Farmers have been told that due to the ongoing increase in population we need to double our yields by the year 2025. This can only be accomplished through technology, there is no more farm land being made, while in all reality more is being taken out of farming for development.

If you hear any farmer poor mouthing, or saying he does not have money to do as he pleases this year, believe me, just know he is not telling you the truth.

djagusch
10-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Ask your family members that are farmers if they did not make the most money ever made in their lifetime of farming this year. The farmers I know are more stressed out about making what would be an over abundance of money this year. The government forces you to spend money if you are a farmer and generate too much income. The government does not understand allowing a farmer to set back money for what may be a bad weather or low commodity price year that could easily follow the good year. They want all the tax that can be gathered from the profit a farmer makes, so they can turn around and use taxpayer's money to subsidize the same farmer in coming years. They force farmers to spend money in an attempt to keep them from giving the government too much money in taxes.

Maybe this is part of governments plan to keep money in circulation while helping the economy, I honestly don't know. We can't buy enough new farm equipment, grain storage, and new trucks to offset the difference.

Believe me, the people that farm in your area, family members or whatever, made the most money ever made in the history of farming this year. The farmers in my area, including myself, averaged in the mid 80 bu. per acre range on wheat and sold it from $8 to $8.65 per bushel. Averaged in the 140 to 160 bu. range on corn and got $7.50 to $8.25 per bushel. The soybeans now being cut are in the mid 40 to 60 bu. range and we pre-sold in the $14.00 range.

We have no reason in my area to be tight with money, one thing about farmers where I'm located (and it has a great deal to do with taxation), when they make money, they spend money, and the economy really notices the difference. The farmers in my part of the country have the best and largest equipment used in the farming industry, and do not blink an eye at spending 1 or 2 million on new equipment in a good year. Farming has only been this good for the past few years, before that there were quite a few low income years. The demand is beginning to outweigh production throughout the world, and this is the reason we have seen unprecedented commodity prices in 2011. Farmers have been told that due to the ongoing increase in population we need to double our yields by the year 2025. This can only be accomplished through technology, there is no more farm land being made, while in all reality more is being taken out of farming for development.

If you hear any farmer poor mouthing, or saying he does not have money to do as he pleases this year, believe me, just know he is not telling you the truth.

Trust me I don't know any poor farmers. Being tight with money means nothing about how much one has. It is more to do with how they are raised, etc.

It's good you are making money.

What I don't like is all the subsidies going torwards ethonal (which does not help anything) and corn in general. While exports do increase demand it is the gov subsidies that increase demand artifically. I think after 2012 elections alot of this will be fixed even with the corngrowers lobby.

puppypaws
10-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Trust me I don't know any poor farmers. Being tight with money means nothing about how much one has. It is more to do with how they are raised, etc.

It's good you are making money.

What I don't like is all the subsidies going torwards ethonal (which does not help anything) and corn in general. While exports do increase demand it is the gov subsidies that increase demand artifically. I think after 2012 elections alot of this will be fixed even with the corngrowers lobby.

People have a misconception about bio-fuel. I am not at all involved with selling corn for bio-fuel, mine goes 3.5 miles to a feed mill, and is turned into chicken feed. It is put back onto a feed truck and delivered back to my farm enabling me to feed broiler chickens I raise to about 8.5 lbs in nine weeks.

What I am explaining is when corn goes into an ethanol plant it is carrying 8% protein, when the starch an sugars are removed for the fuel making process, the distillers grain comes back out of the ethanol plant at 23% protein. This is a much better feed component than the original corn before the starch was removed. Corn is 60% of the mix in a chickens feed blend, which means if you replace the whole corn with distillers grain it takes less to complete the same process.

Many people, including farmers believe this country is taking corn totally out of the feed market to make ethanol. This is a myth, the distillers grain which is a higher concentration of protein left as the corn by-product is a much better feed source, and is sold in the areas ethanol is produced for feed use. This access is only in areas of the country where ethanol plants are established. I know one farmer in South Dakota that produces 300,000 plus bushels of corn each year, and every kernel goes to an ethanol plant.

There is a lot of confusion and misconceptions about corn being taken out of meat production and used to fuel our vehicles. I felt the same way, you should not take food and use it to create fuel, that is until I was educated on the complete process and how it actually works.

Farmers have no need of being subsidized, that is as long as prices remain at the level they are now. I already know subsidies will be cut tremendously in the new farm bill, and the subsidies that will remain in place will be for the lower income farmers (smaller farmers), to insure they are able to stay in business. The government does not want large corporate farms to take over the only food producing capability this country has. They could see food being used as a leverage point if only a select few in production ban together. The people in charge of food production could hold more power than the government could afford to allow.

djagusch
10-30-2011, 10:18 PM
I was also talking about how E85 fuels are subsidies to make it compete with gas. If it was not it would never be an option in the market.

newz7151
10-31-2011, 12:49 AM

Believe me, the people that farm in THIS area didn't make jack **** except for large dust clouds behind their tractors having to plow under pretty much everything...

puppypaws
10-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Believe me, the people that farm in THIS area didn't make jack **** except for large dust clouds behind their tractors having to plow under pretty much everything...

I kept up with the drought conditions in Texas and believe it was probably worst than during the dust bowl. They were forced to eliminate cattle herds, not just because of no forage, but because it was so bad they ran out of drinking water as well. I certainly hope things get turned around shortly, but Texas is still in a severe drought situation for the most part, and the long range forecast is not favorable.

I can say it would be devastating to have the highest recorded commodity prices for ALL grains produced; while being forced to watch your crops die due to severe drought conditions. I carry very good crop insurance, and feel assured most in Texas do as well, but it still works on your mind to watch your crops being destroyed.

j-ville native
10-31-2011, 10:23 AM
That thing rides amazing no doubt about it. Another thing i like is the oil impregnated bushings on the drive levers. Super smooth.

Retro were you at the meeting? If not you missed out on that Grammar seat i took a picture of. Best seat ive ever been on.

Are they going to put the Grammar seat on the czt models, or is it just a feature for the higher end bad boy models like the outlaw & lightning?

retrodog
10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
I kept up with the drought conditions in Texas and believe it was probably worst than during the dust bowl. They were forced to eliminate cattle herds, not just because of no forage, but because it was so bad they ran out of drinking water as well. I certainly hope things get turned around shortly, but Texas is still in a severe drought situation for the most part, and the long range forecast is not favorable.

I can say it would be devastating to have the highest recorded commodity prices for ALL grains produced; while being forced to watch your crops die due to severe drought conditions. I carry very good crop insurance, and feel assured most in Texas do as well, but it still works on your mind to watch your crops being destroyed.

Most of our pools are dried up around here, we have a lot of cattle ranchers that are forced to sell out, the man leasing our 200 acres is thinking about selling out. He said it is gonna cost him $350 a head to get them through next year, and he said that was figuring the numbers pretty tight, he said once he gets out its very hard to get back in, I am sure the big guys are in the same place. My g-pa said in his 35years of owning his ranch here, he has never seen it this dry. My 2 year old was screaming bloody murder in the back yard a few weeks back, and I ran out to see what was wrong and his leg was stuck down in a crack...lol thats how bad it is here....

retrodog
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Are they going to put the Grammar seat on the czt models, or is it just a feature for the higher end bad boy models like the outlaw & lightning?

The grammer seat will be standard on the diesel, a cheap upgrade on the Outlaws (like $250 to $350), and an option for upgrade on the zt and czt, but I am sure a little more cash involved for the upgrade (that is what I have gathered, we will get actual pricing Nov 1st).

puppypaws
10-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Most of our pools are dried up around here, we have a lot of cattle ranchers that are forced to sell out, the man leasing our 200 acres is thinking about selling out. He said it is gonna cost him $350 a head to get them through next year, and he said that was figuring the numbers pretty tight, he said once he gets out its very hard to get back in, I am sure the big guys are in the same place. My g-pa said in his 35years of owning his ranch here, he has never seen it this dry. My 2 year old was screaming bloody murder in the back yard a few weeks back, and I ran out to see what was wrong and his leg was stuck down in a crack...lol thats how bad it is here....

I've seen many picture's farmers in Texas have made, with some of them being the big cracks like your son fell into and got his leg stuck but in their crop fields. I would say the grass mowing business was nonexistent in Texas this year, and would believe no irrigation could be allowed because of the severe water shortage. I am going to get off this subject, I've taken enough of this gentleman's thread space.

cvcook
10-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Sooooooo, is BB planning on making any W/B mowers? (36" hydro)

TheOctagon
10-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Sooooooo, is BB planning on making any W/B mowers? (36" hydro)

Doubtful. I believe they skipped the walk behind and went right to the stander since its gaining so much market share over the wb.

cvcook
11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Ok, Thanks!

j-ville native
11-01-2011, 08:20 AM
The grammer seat will be standard on the diesel, a cheap upgrade on the Outlaws (like $250 to $350), and an option for upgrade on the zt and czt, but I am sure a little more cash involved for the upgrade (that is what I have gathered, we will get actual pricing Nov 1st).

Hit me with the figures when they come out. I'd also be interested in hearing the specs when they become official

j-ville native
11-06-2011, 01:28 AM

Hey Retro, did you get the actual pricing on those grammer seats? Also, would it be possible to order just one of those seats by itself? I'd like to put one on my older zero turn. If Bad Boy dealers won't sell just the seat is it possible to order the seat straight from the manufacturer? Thanks

PTWLAWN
11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I used one at the show the brakes are for keeping your mower perfectly straight for striping. It will allow you to go straight once you hold the hand brake. My employees would have that torn off before we got started. But i like the idea.