PDA

View Full Version : buying a new truck. should i get commercial plates

l&slawncare1990
10-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I am looking to buy a 2000 f0rd f-350 powerstroke diesel. Its a 9900LB GVW. i know I should get commercial plates but then I would have to have all my trailers inspected as well. Just going through getting commercial plates is a pain in the ass very expensive. I need DOT card(no biggie) commercial insurance and to pay big bucks to inspect the truck and trailers yearly. What are your opinions do any of you get away with out commercial plates I know I just would not be able t have lettering on my truck with out the plates. please help thanks!

ndangelo44
10-13-2011, 12:39 PM
First of all, that is the diesel of all trucks that motor is bullet proof. If I could find one in good shape it would be mine in a heart beat!!! Inspections and commercial plates are very touchy and if your company makes a good profit then I would go for just to stay legal and keep the DOT off you. I know in NY they have some crazy laws now about every item on a landscape trailer having 4 points of stable connection to the trailer and full commercial licensing and insurance or there are severe penalties. But if just having no lettering is a way around it thats also an option to consider cause you could save some serious coin. Good luck!!!

l&slawncare1990
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks. Its a 2000 with 91k on it body is perfect just a bit of rot on the cross bars to the frame that im Leary about but. I want to stay away from commercial plates just because of all the inspections and that would draw the police to you even more with commercial plates id think then regular plates. I would need special insurance, trailer commercial insurance id be looking at like an extra 4K just to have commercial plates over regular. So I dont know if I can get away legally with regular plates. Thats my only concern!

DiSantolandscaping
10-13-2011, 07:18 PM
im maine you can have commercial insurance on your vehicle with out commercial plates, or the other way around. and as far as weight if your towing over 6000 pounds then you need commercial plates. having a trialer instpected is expensive. its 60 bucks at most places. some are more.

ndangelo44
10-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a deal at the right price but definitely have an expert check those cross bars I know you guys get salted in the winter and that stuff can ruin steel in a year if not properly maintained. When your talking about that kind of increase I would consider trying out the no lettering and swinging the reg. plates for now.

l&slawncare1990
10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
a Massachusetts I guess can be harsh. having to get all your trailers inspected and truck in a special way it will be so expensive as well as the extra registration every year. Commercial insurance alone is a killer. I will try getting away with just regular plates and no lettering and maybe in the future transfer but the gov makes it so hard for businesses these days its ridiculous

ndangelo44
10-13-2011, 10:17 PM
I used to live in NY right above the city my best friend just shut down his landscape co. because of the same ****. I moved to SC about 5 yrs ago and you don't even need a tag on your trailer, hell some of these guys don't even have lights on there's! I agree with some the inspection laws but your right it's getting harder and harder up there to make a descent blue collar living.

l&slawncare1990
10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
absolutely. I agree on some laws I mean your truck and trailer should be legal and safe on the road but hell all these fees. Its a wonder why so many people cant even claim most of their work due to the gov its ridiculous we all bust our balls out there to feed our families and its getting so hard that so many companies have closed its very sad. stupid laws just for the gov to be a holes and make your life miserable. But thats the gov for ya I guess haha