PDA

View Full Version : Poor cutting Hustler XR-7 deck????

TLS
10-13-2011, 02:26 PM
If you have a XR-7 deck and are unhappy with the Quality Of Cut from the factory Fusion blades or other blades such as the eXmark Lazer notched foil high lifts, I have a solution.

I've been mowing with these for a week now in varying conditions.

I wanted (and still do) to try a set of VX4 Fusion blades (3" SuperZ type) that are .250" thick. Dealer didn't have these in stock. But he did have these in this picture.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/TLS1970/2011%20Hustler%20SuperZ%20Demo/IMG_1255.jpg

They are a .203" thick, 3" wide, 20.5" long SUPER high lift notched foil blade.

They create a TON of lift and suction. They throw out clippings further than I've ever seen this deck do so. The QOC is improved tremendously, and grass is vacuumed and cut, not just limpwristed and cut like the OEM's.

Deck stays cleaner as well.

Here is a picture comparing them to what I ran the past few years (eXmark notched foil high lift fusions)

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/TLS1970/2011%20Hustler%20SuperZ%20Demo/IMG_1256.jpg

Here is bottom view with number. EXCEL 793935

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/TLS1970/2011%20Hustler%20SuperZ%20Demo/IMG_1257.jpg

And lastly a view of the super high lift.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/TLS1970/2011%20Hustler%20SuperZ%20Demo/IMG_1254.jpg

Jimslawncareservice
10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Good god, imagine the HP and fuel it will take
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
10-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Actually RPM's are down about 100 from most other blades.

But the cut is maddening!

grassman177
10-13-2011, 07:00 PM
that is pretty intense. i would be afraid in wet conditions in thick grass it would be packing the deck more, as most decks would. each brand is dif though.

TLS
10-13-2011, 07:13 PM
I found it keeps the deck cleaner! Lots of airflow pushing it through.
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I found it keeps the deck cleaner! Lots of airflow pushing it through.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glade to see you finially found a set to fit your machine. I loved the 3" high lifts when I was using them, night and day differance.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I had Hi lift blades like your old ones and where notch was at I notice was a stress point in about cpl weeks kinda would bend This was on a 60'' mower After few sets I stop buying them went back to a rolled med lift

TLS
10-13-2011, 10:14 PM
The rolled lift create under deck turbulence and ball up and clump.
Posted via Mobile Device

TNGrassCutter
10-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I wish I could find that blade in about an 18" to fit my mower. Or any notched high lift would be better than my solid high lift I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
I would experiment with specific lengths, and then maybe drill out your center hole?

TNGrassCutter
10-14-2011, 05:02 PM
The new x one blades may work of they have that much lift. For a 54" deck. I could drill the center hole no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
10-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't think the 54" VX4 deck uses a 3" blade.

The only decks using .250" thick, 3" wide blades are those decks available on SuperZ's. The X-One's use a solid foil 2 1/2" wide blade.

TNGrassCutter
10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Yea that's what I thought. My blades are 18 5/8" long with a 3/4 center hole.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
10-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Hey, I know what it's like having OEM only blades to choose from.

My old JD 318's cut OK, but with what I know today, I could have made something work and got that 50" deck to cut like a dream.

Same with my JD F-935. The year before I sold it, they released a higher lift (was a longer lift wing) and that really improved things. With a TRUE high lift, that deck likely had amazing potential!

TNGrassCutter
10-15-2011, 08:46 AM
My kubota cut ok, then I raised the rpms to where they should be and it cut better but I'm still looking for that crisp carpet look. But I may never get it, who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-15-2011, 10:35 AM
The rolled lift create under deck turbulence and ball up and clump.
Posted via Mobile DeviceThey dont clump on my mowers

TLS
10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Snyder,

Give these a try!

I didn't have clumping issues when I ran DC's either .... But I never tried this type (above) of blade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Snyder,

Give these a try!

I didn't have clumping issues when I ran DC's either .... But I never tried this type (above) of blade.
Posted via Mobile DeviceWhats the part number

TLS
10-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
TLS

Are these blades for a 60" deck? I have a 66" deck that cuts almost ok but clippings are terrible. How are the clippings? Do you know if I could order a set of blades for a 66" vx4 deck to fit my xr7?

By the way I saw another thread where I think you bought or demoed a vx4. How much better was the cut versus the xr7? I need to buy something come spring and I'm scared to pull the trigger on the new vx4 yet. I need convincing!

mtmower
03-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Bump. Where did you buy these blades from? How did they compare to the G6s?

TLS
03-23-2012, 04:04 AM
I got them from my dealer. He brought me into the parts room and I looked over a few. He had a tape measure running the length of the work bench. I was simply grabbing blades and measuring them to make sure.

They pull RPM's down considerably with the high lift wing. More than the G6's. They vacuum a lot better than G6's as well.

mtmower
03-23-2012, 10:19 AM
So this wasn't a Hustler OEM blade but just something he happened to have on the shelf that fit and had the dimensions and lift you wanted? Which spreads out the clippings better in your opinion? I'm going to guess the G6s put out smaller clippings than the high lifts. I'm going to probably buy a set of G6s and then also look for a super high lift set as well. I see some threads of guys using an Exmark high lift, so I may check them.

Mickhippy
03-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey TLS, are they an Oregon blade?
They look like fuel and torque hogs but might be good to use in heavy conditions and just put regular med lift on for normal mowing. Im also interested in the G6 blades!
Fuel just went up $18 odd cents here. Expecting to get up to $1.70/lt ($6.43/gal) in next few months so I have to take fuel into consideration.

mtmower
03-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Fuel just went up $18 odd cents here. Expecting to get up to $1.70/lt ($6.43/gal) in next few months so I have to take fuel into consideration.

Holy S@$#! Mic. How do you make any money?!? I'd have to think hard about a manual reel push mower. I wonder if gator makes a blade for them.......:laugh:

TLS
03-24-2012, 09:38 AM
So this wasn't a Hustler OEM blade but just something he happened to have on the shelf that fit and had the dimensions and lift you wanted? Which spreads out the clippings better in your opinion? I'm going to guess the G6s put out smaller clippings than the high lifts. I'm going to probably buy a set of G6s and then also look for a super high lift set as well. I see some threads of guys using an Exmark high lift, so I may check them.

It says EXCEL on the bottom, but I'm not sure if it's made by Huster/EXCEL or not. I'm thinking it might be a Rotary or Stens blade. I would look into buying a set of VX4 OEM blades as they are pretty stout and have a very nice lift foil (notched) profile. Tall curve and wide foil. The G6's are going to make smaller clippings, but the verdict is still out as to how far into the Spring I'll be able to go with them.

Hey TLS, are they an Oregon blade?
They look like fuel and torque hogs but might be good to use in heavy conditions and just put regular med lift on for normal mowing. Im also interested in the G6 blades!

I don't think they're Oregon. They are power hogs for sure! They'll suck the chrome off your trailer hitch! The XR-7 has always lacked suction IMO. These and the G6's give you the suction. However, the XR-7 decks lacked the power (SuperZ's anyway) to properly spin these big heavy blades.

Fuel is rising here as well.

mtmower
03-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Mic, do you feel the 31 Kaw. has enough power with the heavier blades since the addition of the new pumps. It would make sense that the large pumps would put a high demand on the motor leaving less power to the blades.

Snapper Jack
03-24-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm no where in the same league when it come's to your riders but if you'll take 1/4" straight across from the lowest inner point of the air foil off those super hi lifts to 1 1/4" and round the tops you'll be much happier with the performance as far as noise reduction,vacuum, less strain, lower fuel consumption and great discharging.I actually prefer this mod blade over the G6s for the time being during Spring cutting

mtmower
03-29-2012, 10:24 PM
TLS wondered what your baffle set up is. I assume you have the triangles installed at the rear and probably the front lip installed. Did you install the large front wedge baffle in or keep either of the two original front baffle lip plates in?
All I have right now is the triangles and front lip but was considering playing around some more. Skippers haven't been much of a problem. Just clippings.

FYI called Oregon. Some G5 blades are now available. I ordered some for my 36" encore walk behind. Neither G5 or G6 available for my 66" XR7. Going to order some SZ VX4 notched high lifts for it and see what she'll do.

TLS
03-30-2012, 04:00 AM
All I have is the rear baffle triangles.

I tried all the other "Fix Kit" combinations. The font lip and the wedge baffle just didn't give me any better results. Just made a heavy deck even heavier! I lost ALL my QOC at speed with the font lip kit.

I thought by '08 that they went back to a full "normal" rear baffle that didn't require the triangle Frankenstein kits? (Just going by your sig)

My buddy has a 66" XR-7 and doesn't complain about QOC or discharge. He couldn't be happier, I couldn't be worse.

mtmower
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Since your not running the front lip or wedge did you leave the two original horizontal front baffle plates in place?

The PA dealer I deal with for my parts said they seemed to notice the opposite. He said the 66" seem to be the bastard deck with the worse QOC out of the three. I have to wonder about tip speed. Without looking it up I think I remember each step up in deck size drops blade rpm as well, which can't be good for the outcome. The 66" may have been the slowest rpm even.

TLS
03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I've never seen my buddy cut with his in person, nor have I used his. Bu with my constant rants about QOC, he says he's very happy. He only has one triangle too!

I still have the front L baffles.

I don't have issues with discharge. But I have to double cut about 90% of my lawns. Only time I ever double cut with other machines was when it was VERY long.

If I had the suction (and power to create it) it would probably be an OK deck. Just wish they'd never have used the free flow triangle rear baffle. The fix fillers don't fit and create buildup in those areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
03-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Those super lifts look alot like Oregon 21" blades part # 91-628
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Just a quick update.

For you 60" XR-7 guys having QOC issues....

Go out and buy a set of OEM VX4 blades from the NEW SuperZ's.

3" wide, 1/4" thick, 20.5" long. Very stout blade. Generous lift, but not that billboard high power robbing that I had with the EXCEL 3"ers.

Great cut, great discharge, great power.

These act like a giant flywheel. Uphill power is improved, and all around, RPM's drop just slightly under normal mowing.

With stock .204"thick and 2.5" wide blades, RPM's fluctuate considerably, and make you feel like your underpowered.

mtmower
05-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks TLS. I think we're in about the same grass types. With the money you have invested there in blades it's great info to pass on. Ordering a set today. I don't have all the options you have such as G6 due to the fact I'm running a 66" deck.

TLS
05-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I think you 66" XR-7 guys would like the "NEW" SuperZ blades.

I really didn't like the G6's for anything but Fall and early Spring cuts. I was seeing too much balled up juicy clippings coming out and clogging things up.

These Super Z blades keep the deck VERY clean.

highlander316
05-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I think you 66" XR-7 guys would like the "NEW" SuperZ blades.

I really didn't like the G6's for anything but Fall and early Spring cuts. I was seeing too much balled up juicy clippings coming out and clogging things up.

These Super Z blades keep the deck VERY clean.

finally someone else I see that agrees with me about the G6's. My stock Scag blades cut so much better.

TLS
05-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I just didn't get the lift I wanted with the G6's.

If they made the lift wing larger by just removing the first tooth and incorporating that into the lift wing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
01-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Sorry to bring up an older thread but Im not the hunt for a better blade. Without going into detail, those Excel super high lifts cause serious drag when using 3, especially when going up hill.
Ive been using 2 VX4 blades and a Super HL on the centre but having big trouble matching blades so, Im thinking of using standard HL on all 3 spindles. The Exmark 6083 HL looks like a go but I'd have to import from the USA. To make it viable I'd have to get 3 sets so, are these blades any good and is there an Oregon version of that Exmark 6083 blade?

Thunderhead
07-12-2014, 03:04 PM
I know this is an old thread but this is just the information I been looking for, for a long time.
My '09 Super Z 31/60 has the XR-7 deck, which most of u already know. I've had problems with it since new when mowing damp/wet/dew covered grass. It eventually stops discharging because the bottom of the deck gets COMPLETELY stopped up!!
I live in South Louisiana and have the model "A" deck.
The OEM Fusion blades were absolutely pitiful with discharge, but they did last a good while.
So my dealer told me about the "Rotary" brand blades he also sells. Part number 6083.. Said that they would help with the discharge. They were 10x better than the OEM fusion blades but still didnt keep the deck from stopping up after a little while.

So after reading this thread I'm assuming I need the OEM VX4 blades (part # 602771) for my mower and the problem will be solved?
I haven't tried the super hi lift Excel #793935 blades either which I've read about.

So my question is: Which would be better for my 60" XR-7 deck? The VX4's or the Excel's?
I can't seem to find a cross over number for Rotary on the Excel 793935 blades. But if the VX4's are better, then I won't need the Excel's.

THANKS TO ALL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
07-12-2014, 06:32 PM
My VX4 deck gets choked up no matter what blade I use when its wet!

Thunderhead
07-12-2014, 09:30 PM
My VX4 deck gets choked up no matter what blade I use when its wet!

Dang, Mick. That sucks! Sure hope I find the correct blades for mine.
Not sure which ones I wanna go with out of the hi-lifts and the OEM VX4 blades.

Forgot to ask... When you had the old Z with the XR-7 deck, 1) what was the cutting height you normally ran, 2) what was the air pressure in the tires, and 3) what hole were the anti-scalp rollers in??
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
07-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Really dont know. Maybe try and find a "normal" high lift first if you can. Failing that, I'd try the VX4 blades before the super high lifts. I HATE having to use the HL's!

Thunderhead
07-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Really dont know. Maybe try and find a "normal" high lift first if you can. Failing that, I'd try the VX4 blades before the super high lifts. I HATE having to use the HL's!

I'm gonna try the VX4s first then. My dealer told me some customers have already started using the on the XR-7 secs and are pleased. So I'll give them a shot first. If I'm not happy then I'll try the Excel super hi lifts. .. I run my mower with 10 pounds of air in every tire. That's where I get the best results with minimal scalping on 2.5" deck setting. Any more pressure than that and it's just too bouncy. I have the flex forks, along with a "Qwikchute" OCDC.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device