PDA

View Full Version : Why Bad Boy Mowers are great for our industry.

HenryB
10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Two main reasons: they are priced very fair wich keeps the Exmark and Scago of our industry in line and secondly: they are very progressive and innovative. Like them or not their machines keep evolving and improving in an industry that considers adding more horsepower research and design. I wish them luck. Their new Stander looks nice too. I'm actually holding off on buying two Scag Vrides til I check out their 60 inch version.

JB1
10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
check, this should be good.

HenryB
10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm not really trying to offend anyone But honestly the lack of real improvement and at times sheer arrogance of some of the major mower companies reminds me of the Big Three (Auto industry)in the 80's. Their arrogance almost sank them. People's (consumer's) blind loyalism only goes so far.

Richard Martin
10-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Somebody had better tell both Exmark and Scag because the last time I checked their prices were way out of line.

Groomer
10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
OK, I'll bite. I'm lazy tonight. Tell me why I should buy the 48" walk badboy over the TTHP exmark walk. All opinions considered.

Hawkshot99
10-13-2011, 07:24 PM
OK, I'll bite. I'm lazy tonight. Tell me why I should buy the 48" walk badboy over the TTHP exmark walk. All opinions considered.

You shouldnt. BB does not make any walk behinds. They are going to be producing a stander to compete with the Vantage, but if you need a walk behind they dont have them.

Snapper Jack
10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Two main reasons: they are priced very fair wich keeps the Exmark and Scago of our industry in line and secondly: they are very progressive and innovative. Like them or not their machines keep evolving and improving in an industry that considers adding more horsepower research and design. I wish them luck. Their new Stander looks nice too. I'm actually holding off on buying two Scag Vrides til I check out their 60 inch version.
Wish'em luck myself cuz quite frankly there's competition out there who really do have machines that are Bad Boys.

Groomer
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I said I was lazy tonight. Just assumed they produced a walkbehind. Noted. Exmark it remains then.

GMLC
10-13-2011, 08:30 PM
You can't compare BB to Scag or Exmark. That would be like comparing a corvette to a ferarri. Both very nice but a corvette is no ferarri. BB is not a Scag or Exmark.

Hoy landscaping
10-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Somebody had better tell both Exmark and Scag because the last time I checked their prices were way out of line.

Last i checked dixies were up there in price too...

StanWilhite
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
You can't compare BB to Scag or Exmark. That would be like comparing a corvette to a ferarri. Both very nice but a corvette is no ferarri. BB is not a Scag or Exmark.

I'm proud of you GMLC.....you didn't say it!!!! :laugh:

GMLC
10-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm proud of you GMLC.....you didn't say it!!!! :laugh:

Im a man of my word!! I would like to take a look at the stander though. Thinking of getting one for next season. Going to demo a bunch.

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 08:50 PM
The corvette is an entry level sports car though....compared to the ferrari and others

nepatsfan
10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Im a man of my word!! I would like to take a look at the stander though. Thinking of getting one for next season. Going to demo a bunch.

What did you say?

GMLC
10-13-2011, 08:53 PM
The corvette is an entry level sports car though....compared to the ferrari and others

:laugh::laugh:

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 08:54 PM

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0810_2009_corvette_zr1_vs_porsche_gt2_vs_ferrari_599_vs_nissan_gtr/viewall.html

GMLC
10-13-2011, 08:56 PM
What did you say?

I promised not to use the word "e#@ry level" when talking about BB.

GMLC
10-13-2011, 09:01 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0810_2009_corvette_zr1_vs_porsche_gt2_vs_ferrari_599_vs_nissan_gtr/viewall.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

Over a complete race a 1-2 second difference amounts to being laps behind.

StanWilhite
10-13-2011, 09:18 PM

Oh no you DI-ENT !!! :)

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 09:54 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

Over a complete race a 1-2 second difference amounts to being laps behind.

the vette beat the 599 and the 360 which probably cost 180,000 or more each. Only ones that did actually beat it were probably well over 200,000. Gotta figure you could but one vette for you and one for your best buddy and still be cheaper plus you can have fun racing each other.

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(U.S._TV_series) Here is the american version.

weeze
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
oh no is this the time of year when all the bad boy threads start to appear again?

bad boyz bad boyz what ya gonna do? what ya gonna do when they come for you?

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 10:12 PM
oh no is this the time of year when all the bad boy threads start to appear again?

bad boyz bad boyz what ya gonna do? what ya gonna do when they come for you?

Funny how you complain but i think you were the first to comment on the other thread started about them. I think you have a place in your heart bb orange. Just dont wanna admit it yet.

weeze
10-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Funny how you complain but i think you were the first to comment on the other thread started about them. I think you have a place in your heart bb orange. Just dont wanna admit it yet.

it wasn't a complaint...it was a statement...there is a difference

a complaint would be worded like this: stop posting all the bad boy threads

yeah i did comment about the disc brake thing in the other thread...i didn't say anything negative

i doubt i'll be buying another mower for 5-10 more years so it really doesn't matter at this point what i like lol

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
it wasn't a complaint...it was a statement...there is a difference

a complaint would be worded like this: stop posting all the bad boy threads

yeah i did comment about the disc brake thing in the other thread...i didn't say anything negative

i doubt i'll be buying another mower for 5-10 more years so it really doesn't matter at this point what i like lol

Well hopefully in 5 or 10 years when you need to look again you give Badboy a demo and let us know what you think.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Last i checked dixies were up there in price too...

Yes but you get alot for your $$ I paid 9500 for a 33hp 72'' in that price Standard stuff Spring forks, roll bar,Air ride seat, 5 yr warrenty Life time on frame and caster, Chute Blocker

Ridin' Green
10-13-2011, 11:12 PM
the vette beat the 599 and the 360 which probably cost 180,000 or more each. Only ones that did actually beat it were probably well over 200,000. Gotta figure you could but one vette for you and one for your best buddy and still be cheaper plus you can have fun racing each other.

Since you guys like sports car stats and races, maybe you'll enjoy this one-

http://www.wimp.com/dragrace

TheOctagon
10-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Nice vid, as soon as i saw the nissan in the lineup i was pretty confident who the winner was going to be. They are very much a wolf in sheep's clothing.

MONTE
10-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Curious to know what has bad boy invented? Everything I have seen is just copy or someone else idea that they have taken and improved on in some ways.

justanotherlawnguy
10-14-2011, 12:06 AM
How can a mower that nobody uses be great for our industry?

I gotta think Florida is one of the grass cutting meccas in this country. We have probably the longest growing seasons, and with the heat and humidity its murder on people and equipment, yet I have never seen a bad boy mower!

How great can they be if nobody here uses them?

There is a reason everybody uses exmark and toro down here!
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151
10-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Well hopefully in 5 or 10 years when you need to look again you give Badboy a demo and let us know what you think.

Hmm.. I'm sure that in 7 years, if he's looking at a used Bad Boy that the seller would not have a problem letting him demo it. Problem would be finding places that still have stock of the parts for them after that long..

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 03:16 AM

The truth is, over across the big pond where those other, real, sports cars are, they have great respect for the Corvette. I've seen enough episodes of Top Gear (the real one, not the lamer version produced here in the States) to know that.

TheMadLandscaper
10-14-2011, 05:44 AM

Don't speak on a subject you know nothing about!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4

coolluv
10-14-2011, 07:20 AM

I agree with this. I like to see some small companies challenge the big guys and force them to improve products.

Its a win win for everyone, even if you hate Bad Boy they are improving the industry for everyone.

Dave...

c2weech
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Where is there anything about them making a stander? Not on their site and nothing from googling

hammmerhead
10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Curious to know what has bad boy invented? Everything I have seen is just copy or someone else idea that they have taken and improved on in some ways.

Invented?? Well, for starters that disk brakes style wheel lock looks original. The swing away gas tanks were a first for a modern ZTR I think.

What is your point though?
The evolution of any concept or product is improved upon by others....and yes, almost all the time, by your competitors as well. For this reason you have a new model smart phone in your pocket every year or so, a toothbrush optimally designed to scrub the stank out of your mouth, a better mulching blade with a new metal hardening process, etc, etc. Everyone wants to invent the latest, greatest item, but until it comes you keep on improving on what is out there.

You see where Im going? New concepts and inventions are brought to the table from improvements or taking an idea and making it better.

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Invented?? Well, for starters that disk brakes style wheel lock looks original. The swing away gas tanks were a first for a modern ZTR I think.

Not really. Plenty of mowers have disk brakes for parking. My 1992 Woods CM36 had disk brakes for parking and turning. Dixie Chopper used to have swing away tanks. BTW, Dixie Chopper was the inspiration for the Bad Boys.

hammmerhead
10-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Not really. Plenty of mowers have disk brakes for parking. My 1992 Woods CM36 had disk brakes for parking and turning. Dixie Chopper used to have swing away tanks. BTW, Dixie Chopper was the inspiration for the Bad Boys.

So you're saying their remote operated front disk caster lock was robbed from one of these? Looks and sounds like a stretch to me. Im seriously doubting BB is looking for any inspiration from Dixie these days.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33kc3m85V55T05X3b8578c9571f7bf71c14.jpg

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 12:41 PM

You can say that about any of the brands. They're all a copy of the first one....a very much improved copy, but a copy none the less. You don't have to invent something to improve on it.

As I said, they're ALL a copy of the first one that was built.

To see how much they've improved, look at a "Swisher Big Mow". :) I know it's technically not a "zero turn" mower, but you can see that the concept was there.

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Where is there anything about them making a stander? Not on their site and nothing from googling

The thread i started the other day about badboy dealer meeting photos has the new stander pictured several times on the second page.

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Its not a parking disc brake. Its a brake system for the front casters to hold them straight while doing steep extended side hilling. Makes things easier on the hydros as well as helps with stability.

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm not really trying to offend anyone But honestly the lack of real improvement and at times sheer arrogance of some of the major mower companies reminds me of the Big Three (Auto industry)in the 80's. Their arrogance almost sank them. People's (consumer's) blind loyalism only goes so far.

It's amazing to me that you can buy a brand new car with all of the "creature comforts", automatic transmission, and loads of required safety equipment for a lot less money than a lot of these mowers...and I'm talkin' "zero turn" mowers not "wide area" mowers.

I know that material and labor are both expensive, but some of these mower prices just don't appear to be in line with other things that should be even more expensive.

weeze
10-14-2011, 03:08 PM
It's amazing to me that you can buy a brand new car with all of the "creature comforts", automatic transmission, and loads of required safety equipment for a lot less money than a lot of these mowers...and I'm talkin' "zero turn" mowers not "wide area" mowers.

I know that material and labor are both expensive, but some of these mower prices just don't appear to be in line with other things that should be even more expensive.

do you realize about 30-40 years ago you could get a brand new ford, chevy, or dodge for less than $2000 lol...things sure do change

coolluv
10-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Ive been saying that for years. 10k to 14k for a mower? Look at what it is, there is no way in hell that anyone can convince me that these mowers are worth what we pay for them.

Dave...

weeze
10-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Ive been saying that for years. 10k to 14k for a mower? Look at what it is, there is no way in hell that anyone can convince me that these mowers are worth what we pay for them.

Dave...

ikr...my truck was only $20k and it has a/c, heat, radio, keeps you dry in the rain, 4 wheel drive, a bed for hauling things, and so on lol

MONTE
10-14-2011, 04:00 PM
My point is someone posted that bad boy was inventive! I do not see it. As stated Dixie Chopper had sway away tanks. They also use to have a locking front castor system as did schweiss. The disc lock to me looks almost identical to the ones that bladerunner had a few years ago. The disc is diffrent but other than that not all that original to me. However it is good to see the concept being reintroduced.

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 04:12 PM
So you're saying their remote operated front disk caster lock was robbed from one of these? Looks and sounds like a stretch to me. Im seriously doubting BB is looking for any inspiration from Dixie these days.

I can't even find the device you refer to on their website. What does it do.

BTW Quite a few of Bad Boys accessories are lifted right out of the Dixie Chopper handbook. There's a whole lot more Dixie in Bad Boys than you'd like to admit.

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Economy of scale is a huge factor here. Even Exmark isn't building (and never has) as many of one particular model as most people think they do. There is a big difference between stamping out 100,000 floor pans and stamping out 5,000 mower decks. The stamps alone are very expensive and you have to spread the cost among all of the parts that are actually made. This is just an example, not a real case. When you have a company like Exmark that changes their mowers all of the time it can make manufacturing expensive.

chesterlawn
10-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Talk about expensive mowers. Back in 1981 I paid $2,100.00 for a 52" walkbehind Goodall(Bunton). It had a non commercial 11 hp briggs, no trans just a variable speed drive, top speed was a fast walk. No reverse, you had to pull it backwards, single belt on each wheel, no bearings on wheel castors just bushings. The mowers today are expensive but much better built.

Patriot Services
10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Like many things we have been strategically marketed into believing these mowers are worth what they cost. There is nothing short of minor deck design differences that hasn't been in use for decades now.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Like many things we have been strategically marketed into believing these mowers are worth what they cost. There is nothing short of minor deck design differences that hasn't been in use for decades now.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll bet we would be shocked at the "sticker price" of the engine alone if these mowers came equipped with a typical "compact car" engine....even one of the least expensive ones.

What do you think they would charge us for all of the necessary computers, electrical and mechanical sensors, heating and cooling components, power brake components, power steering components, intake and exhaust components, necessary gauges, etc.

Now, add the cost of an automatic transmission.... and keep in mind....we've just started to build a mower!

Patriot Services
10-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Comparing cars to mowers is apples to oranges. A mower costs 3/4 of a typical compact car yet has maybe 5% of the technology or manufacturing input.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
I can't even find the device you refer to on their website. What does it do.

BTW Quite a few of Bad Boys accessories are lifted right out of the Dixie Chopper handbook. There's a whole lot more Dixie in Bad Boys than you'd like to admit.

There is a picture of the brake on my thread about the dealer meeting.

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Comparing cars to mowers is apples to oranges. A mower costs 3/4 of a typical compact car yet has maybe 5% of the technology or manufacturing input.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Patriot, I'm not sure I follow you.

Seems to me that the cost of all of the technology, the shear number of parts, and the amount of labor involved in building the car would drive the price of the car way above the mower.

Patriot Services
10-14-2011, 05:48 PM
My point is mowers cost almost as much as a car these days. The technology does not justify the price of these mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 05:56 PM
My point is mowers cost almost as much as a car these days. The technology does not justify the price of these mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. I completely agree.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
There is a picture of the brake on my thread about the dealer meeting.Bad boy use a disc Brake And back in the 80s Dixie had band brake on the front casters keep front end falling down a slope swinging tanks had that since 80s
To me out all mowers out there there only one that has its own look thats DC everything else looks the same in my eyes

Dc is the only mower puts OCDC chute from the factory
Started that back in the mid 90s
I dont think I could mow with out one

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 06:44 PM
So you're saying their remote operated front disk caster lock was robbed from one of these? Looks and sounds like a stretch to me.

Nope, I didn't say that. I said disk brakes have been used on mowers for a long time. Bad Boy just found another, albeit useless, application.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231803&stc=1&d=1318474470

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Nope, I didn't say that. I said disk brakes have been used on mowers for a long time. Bad Boy just found another, albeit useless, application.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231803&stc=1&d=1318474470

I dunno if i would call it useless. If i was mowing a lot of sidehills all the time i think it would help with both turf damage as well as the life of the hydros. Its just an option, you dont have to have them.

GMLC
10-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I have that same disc brake on my mountain bike!! Where is this BB stander. That I would like to see...

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I have that same disc brake on my mountain bike!! Where is this BB stander. That I would like to see...

in the other thread about getting back from the dealer meeting.

GMLC
10-14-2011, 06:50 PM
in the other thread about getting back from the dealer meeting.

Thanks Ill check it out.

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Here it is...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231812&stc=1&d=1318475214

The rest of the pics are here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=363174

GMLC
10-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Here it is...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231812&stc=1&d=1318475214

The rest of the pics are here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=363174

Thanks. Looks like it needs some finishing touches and refinement. I would wait a few years before trying that bad boy out.

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks. Looks like it needs some finishing touches and refinement. I would wait a few years before trying that bad boy out.

What are you noticing? Just curious since this probably is exact final assembly maybe its something worth looking into.

JDiepstra
10-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Such as?...

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 07:09 PM
What are you noticing? Just curious since this probably is exact final assembly maybe its something worth looking into.

Perhaps he is suggesting that maybe someone else should do the wide area field testing. It always takes a year or two to get all of the bugs out. Just ask Exmark.

Patriot Services
10-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Its got a cup holder, what more does it need? Maybe a spoiler, flames and a Nascar logo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Its got a cup holder, what more does it need? Maybe a spoiler, flames and a Nascar logo.

They do have a optional wing????? More useless parts.

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Perhaps he is suggesting that maybe someone else should do the wide area field testing. It always takes a year or two to get all of the bugs out. Just ask Exmark.

You could be right, i just seen finishing touches and refinement so i figured he saw something right off the bat.

GMLC
10-14-2011, 07:26 PM
It always takes a couple years to work out the bugs. I'm not a big fan of the boxy look. Lots of 90 degree angles. They usually do this for mass production and not performance.
Posted via Mobile Device

HenryB
10-14-2011, 08:31 PM
It always takes a couple years to work out the bugs. I'm not a big fan of the boxy look. Lots of 90 degree angles. They usually do this for mass production and not performance.
Posted via Mobile Device

I get the feeling you would not buy a Bad Boy even if they discovered Cold Fusion:laugh::laugh:

GMLC
10-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Cold fusion...They still need to discover the wheel! In all honesty my scags and exmarks in the early 90's had this same boxy design. Easy to build and work on but not the best performers comparted to now. Back then I thought they were the cats a#*.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Now don't "fall out" or faint GMLC, but this is one time I'll have to agree with you 100%. After getting over the initial excitement of buying my BB Lightning, all of the 90 degree angles on it have just about driven me nuts.

To be honest with you, I really hadn't paid that much attention to them until after I bought the mower, and I almost took it back after noticing the over use of the 90 degree angles.

In the past 2 years of owning and operating the mower, I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with some of the top Bad Boy design engineers. I have also sent tons of email to them concerning the over use of 90 degree angles.

They have, in turn promised me that they are going to do their very best to try to do away with most of the 90 degree angles, and use more 80 and 100 degree angles. I told them that I'm aware of the fact that they can't please everyone, but if they want me to continue to buy BB mowers, they'll have to use more 80 and 100 degree angles, and hopefully throw in some 70 and 110's when they can.

I really don't think that's too much to ask, but I guess time will tell if I was successful or not. As far as I'm concerned, their future depends on it.

GMLC
10-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Stan, I needed a good laugh tonight. 360 degrees are my favorite.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks Stan, I needed a good laugh tonight. 360 degrees are my favorite.
Posted via Mobile Device

:).........

nepatsfan
10-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Well 90 degree angles are kind of entry level angles. 100's and 80's are not.

StanWilhite
10-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Well 90 degree angles are kind of entry level angles. 100's and 80's are not.

:laugh:........

StanWilhite
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Now don't "fall out" or faint GMLC, but this is one time I'll have to agree with you 100%. After getting over the initial excitement of buying my BB Lightning, all of the 90 degree angles on it have just about driven me nuts.

To be honest with you, I really hadn't paid that much attention to them until after I bought the mower, and I almost took it back after noticing the over use of the 90 degree angles.

In the past 2 years of owning and operating the mower, I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with some of the top Bad Boy design engineers. I have also sent tons of email to them concerning the over use of 90 degree angles.

They have, in turn promised me that they are going to do their very best to try to do away with most of the 90 degree angles, and use more 80 and 100 degree angles. I told them that I'm aware of the fact that they can't please everyone, but if they want me to continue to buy BB mowers, they'll have to use more 80 and 100 degree angles, and hopefully throw in some 70 and 110's when they can.

I really don't think that's too much to ask, but I guess time will tell if I was successful or not. As far as I'm concerned, their future depends on it.

It got really quiet here. I can just picture a few people scratching their heads and wondering if this idiot (me) is serious. I wasn't....just being silly and yankin' GMLC's chain a little. :)

GMLC
10-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I'll get this thread going again. That stander looks like it was made in some dudes garage. Welcome back to the 90's. BB can do better than that china knock off. Reminds me of the "Beast".
Posted via Mobile Device

TheOctagon
10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I'll get this thread going again. That stander looks like it was made in some dudes garage. Welcome back to the 90's. BB can do better than that china knock off. Reminds me of the "Beast".
Posted via Mobile Device

mount the gas tank on one side and the deck height lever on the other and you wouldnt even notice the difference. you're just being difficult.