PDA

View Full Version : Bahia please stop growing

williams lcm
10-13-2011, 06:42 PM
My Bahia lawns still have some stalks this week. I cut them short last week and they still need to be cut. Last year It was much different and slowed down sooner. I am ready for Eow . It cant come fast enough.

Florida Gardener
10-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Not sure what the problem is but I skipped Bahia this week. Didnt even grow from last...
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Not sure what the problem is but I skipped Bahia this week. Didnt even grow from last...
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if you got the same amount of moisture as we did last weekend. We got roughly 10 inches last weekend...so some of the Bahia has perked right back up again.

I am with him - I am so ready for EOW....we were able to skip two bahia lawns this week as well as one that is Bermuda/SA mix. The Bermuda was going brown too - but we will see with all the rain.

Florida Gardener
10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Not sure if you got the same amount of moisture as we did last weekend. We got roughly 10 inches last weekend...so some of the Bahia has perked right back up again.

I am with him - I am so ready for EOW....we were able to skip two bahia lawns this week as well as one that is Bermuda/SA mix. The Bermuda was going brown too - but we will see with all the rain.

That's prob the difference then bc we didn't get a lick of that rain.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Every other week or not I'm heading to Maine in two weeks hunting......period!
Posted via Mobile Device

BCL Services
10-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Nov 1st starts eow for us.

Landscape Poet
10-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Three weeks for me co-landscapes....need to work that first week to keep your off weeks so you are off for turkey but it sounds like you have plans of having something else on your plate....what's the matter....this things they call deer down here not big enough :)
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
10-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Three weeks for me co-landscapes....need to work that first week to keep your off weeks so you are off for turkey but it sounds like you have plans of having something else on your plate....what's the matter....this things they call deer down here not big enough :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Deer down here are tiny, no need to fatten up for tough winters.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I woke up to weak cold front that brought a little rain. Florida deer are what we call dogs in NY. Got my plane tickets for NOV 1st.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
10-14-2011, 07:03 PM
I woke up to weak cold front that brought a little rain. Florida deer are what we call dogs in NY. Got my plane tickets for NOV 1st.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good luck patriot. I am heading out two weeks from today to st albans Maine where my uncles hunting camp and cabin are located. Couple days to scout and sight rifles, set tree stands
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Deer down here are tiny, no need to fatten up for tough winters.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deer might be small but the Hogs are Huge and all over the place.

Landscape Poet
10-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Good luck to both of you with your hunting.......enjoy foods while back home that actually taste better up north like Chili.

Ric
10-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Good luck to both of you with your hunting.......enjoy foods while back home that actually taste better up north like Chili.

Mikey

If you love the North, take I 75 or I 95 to Uppa U S a. You Yankee Girls can have your Bami hunting. I take the Man style Florida Hunting Gator and Hogs that can bite back. :drinkup:

Landscape Poet
10-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Mikey

If you love the North, take I 75 or I 95 to Uppa U S a. You Yankee Girls can have your Bami hunting. I take the Man style Florida Hunting Gator and Hogs that can bite back. :drinkup:

I am not much of a Bambi hunting....but did enjoy fishing more up there (noodling) and I will not be doing that down here with the Gators that you mentioned.....oh yeah one other thing about the North....they have trees that change color in the fall....so there is another seasonal color in the landscape other than green!

Ric
10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I am not much of a Bambi hunting....but did enjoy fishing more up there (noodling) and I will not be doing that down here with the Gators that you mentioned.....oh yeah one other thing about the North....they have trees that change color in the fall....so there is another seasonal color in the landscape other than green!

Mikey

You can Noodle down here, Just have your buddy keep an eye out for gators. Remember Florida fishing is not for Babies.

As for the Tree colors. I am not a fan of brown sticks pointing to the sky with white Ice sickles hanging off them.

If you love Ohio, take I 75. :walking:

Patriot Services
10-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm a bowhunter. I don't think anything short of a Rambo style exploding arrowhead would bring down a hog or gator. My father lives up there and I just walk out the backdoor into the woods.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
10-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Deer might be small but the Hogs are Huge and all over the place.

No chit, at the Bright Hour Ranch on Tuesday there were 37 yes 37 hogs, 14 nice turkeys and 7 nice little dog deer inside the final gate going to the lodge and camp area.

Ric
10-15-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm a bowhunter. I don't think anything short of a Rambo style exploding arrowhead would bring down a hog or gator. My father lives up there and I just walk out the backdoor into the woods.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

You transplanted Yankees don't have a clue what real hunting is. We run dogs at night and can not carry a gun because Night shooting is illegal. But Hunting with Dogs is not. After the dog gets the hog down we just hog tie them and bring home alive. If you see a cage on a Trailer, 9 out of 10 times that is for transporting live wild hogs. The Dog Cage is in the back of the truck. Some people like wild hog meat wild other like to grain feed the wild taste out before butchering them.

I might not be a native Cracker (Florida Born) but I have lived here long enough to know what is good. If you know the right people with land, Hog Hunting is a year round season. Hogs are a PITA to Ranchers and Farmers alike. They welcome any responsible person who will help control their Hog Population.

gregory
10-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Patriot

You transplanted Yankees don't have a clue what real hunting is. We run dogs at night and can not carry a gun because Night shooting is illegal. But Hunting with Dogs is not. After the dog gets the hog down we just hog tie them and bring home alive. If you see a cage on a Trailer, 9 out of 10 times that is for transporting live wild hogs. The Dog Cage is in the back of the truck. Some people like wild hog meat wild other like to grain feed the wild taste out before butchering them.

I might not be a native Cracker (Florida Born) but I have lived here long enough to know what is good. If you know the right people with land, Hog Hunting is a year round season. Hogs are a PITA to Ranchers and Farmers alike. They welcome any responsible person who will help control their Hog Population.

very true ric thats how its been done for as long as i can remember. done alot of it when i was in high school and when i worked in immokalee. you think you have balls come down here and run some dogs at night thru the woods down here. that was one of the things we did back in high shool go to the beach or go to the woods...

years ago when they opened gators again a friend of mine got a tag and we went down to the glades and hunted great time.. till you've ran around the glades on an airboat you havent lived.......

fl-landscapes
10-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Patriot

Real hunting involves the elements as well. Hunting in your shorts is a little different then sitting in a tree stand for hours in twenty degree weather.

Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Don't forget the elements. Deer might not bite back but sitting in a tree stand in twenty degree weather isn't for the faint ot heart
Posted via Mobile Device

gregory
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Good point fl. I've done that up north also and it wasn't very fun. Did it for 2 days I passed on the 3rd day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Don't forget the elements. Deer might not bite back but sitting in a tree stand in twenty degree weather isn't for the faint ot heart
Posted via Mobile Device

Brian

Isn't for the faint of heart?? Then it must be for the Faint of mind. No way I am sitting in a tree stand in 20 degree weather.

Karl

I am thinking it was in the Late 1960's when Gators were put on the Endangered species List. Before that they were fair game. two ways we made gas money in High School was skinning Gator hides and Cast Netting Mullet. Mullet paid $ 0.03 a pound and Gator Hides paid $ 6.00 a Lineal Ft. In those days you had to hunt for gators real hard. In 1954 My father drove our family to Florida for the first time. I can still hear him complaining Gas was $ 0.14 a gallon in Florida. Despite the High price of Gas we moved to Florida in 1956. I turned 16 that year and I was mad we didn't move to Florida a year sooner. You only had to be 15 years old for a Drivers license back then.

Patriot Services
10-16-2011, 07:32 AM
The Florida hunt sounds like fun. Right now though I want cool air, no bugs and the challenge of stalking and lining up that one perfect shot. My idea of hunting is not sitting in a tree stand with a pile of deer kibbles on the ground underneath it.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
10-16-2011, 08:45 AM
"Some people like wild hog meat wild other like to grain feed the wild taste out before butchering them."

Ric,

Isn't that game taste in the wild meat from running them down and the build up of Lactic Acid in the tissue(muscle)?

Had a hunter buddy tell me this once, if I still have it right. Like with deer, if you have to run them down, he said, you might as well like them go since the meat will taste like chit. Same way with Hogs too?

Ric
10-16-2011, 09:46 AM
"Some people like wild hog meat wild other like to grain feed the wild taste out before butchering them."

Ric,

Isn't that game taste in the wild meat from running them down and the build up of Lactic Acid in the tissue(muscle)?

Had a hunter buddy tell me this once, if I still have it right. Like with deer, if you have to run them down, he said, you might as well like them go since the meat will taste like chit. Same way with Hogs too?

Rob

You are so right about the adrenaline rush making the meat taste bad. Even those who like the wild taste or don't care to feed out a hog will wait a day or two before butchering them. What I was talking about was waiting a day or two or 30 days of corn feeding. Some will kill the Mother Hog leaving her and capture the babies which they then feed out. There is two different types of fat on a Hog. Yellow and White. White Fat is generally from better food sources like Corn and better for you. Yellow is general from Garbage or wild fed Hogs.

BTW Florida law doesn't allow guns to be used for night Hunting. Hog Hunting is mostly done at night and with Dogs.

What we will call professional Hog Hunters here is Florida will actually sell Live Wild Hogs to commercial Hunting Lodges. The Bigger the better price. City Slicker with big bucks pay huge money for the privilege of shooting Trophy Hogs a few seconds after they are released for a trap or chute. Of course they have no idea it is a set up. I have sold Hogs for $ 200 Dollar that they pay $ 2,000 or more to shoot.

fl-landscapes
10-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Brian

Faint of mind would be trying to hog tie a living breathing wild hog

Isn't for the faint of heart?? Then it must be for the Faint of mind. No way I am sitting in a tree stand in 20 degree weather.

Karl

I am thinking it was in the Late 1960's when Gators were put on the Endangered species List. Before that they were fair game. two ways we made gas money in High School was skinning Gator hides and Cast Netting Mullet. Mullet paid $ 0.03 a pound and Gator Hides paid $ 6.00 a Lineal Ft. In those days you had to hunt for gators real hard. In 1954 My father drove our family to Florida for the first time. I can still hear him complaining Gas was $ 0.14 a gallon in Florida. Despite the High price of Gas we moved to Florida in 1956. I turned 16 that year and I was mad we didn't move to Florida a year sooner. You only had to be 15 years old for a Drivers license back then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Brian

Different strokes for Different folks. I didn't move back to Florida for the Snow Skiing and Ice Skating.