PDA

View Full Version : I need your suggestion for a new business name

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
10-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I want to change the name of my company and I am looking for a unique name
Any suggestion greatly appreciated. Thanks Alex

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
10-13-2011, 09:27 PM
"let us cut your grass or we will kick your ass!" ...

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Xscapes
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnman24949
10-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Master Plan Lawn and Landscape is one i always thought i should have used but did not.

TNGrassCutter
10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
The Sodfather. Black trucks mowers and wear black suits when working.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys keep em' coming ! -Alex
Posted via Mobile Device

JimLewis
10-15-2011, 04:25 PM
The business name isn't quite as important as people think. But it is important. A good, catchy name, can really help with name recognition. But there are companies out there who totally disregarded that and have done very well. For instance, Gothic Landscape is one of the top 15 biggest landscape companies in the whole nation. Even the owners agree that the name is bad and have wanted to change it several times. Unfortunately, they were too big and too well known. Business advisors told them they would be crazy to ever change it. There was too much brand name recognition already built into their name to ever change it. It was too late.

On the other hand, I think it helps to have a really professional name and get that EARLY in your business. Companies with names like ProGrass, TruGreen, Lawn Doctor, GreenScape, PROscape, etc. are all very well thought out, professional names.

Company name is kind of important. But as you look through the list of the top 100 or top 150 companies in the nation, you'll see that a lot of them also have fairly boring or family names as well. That's because the name is only a small part of the game.

The biggest thing that results in success is having more determination than anyone else. That's really the secret to success, IMO. I started my business 15 years ago with $1200 available on a credit card that I bought some really crappy equipment with. I ran my business initially out of a 1980 Camaro towing a cheap $50 rusty old back half of a truck bed trailer. Used garbage bags to haul away the grass and a $100 used mower and stick edger. That was about all I had. And today we have 28 employees, 14 trucks on the road any given day, we maintain almost 300 yards each week, have a big landscape installation business, and will gross over $2Mil in sales this year. We've passed up dozens of companies in our area that started way before us. And the residential landscape market in our area, we've become one of the larger, more well known companies in our area. And I didn't know Jack about anything when I started. I still find that I am doing things the wrong way. Still constantly correcting our methods, as I learn better ways to do things. But even though I probably did things totally wrong lots of times, what kept us going all this time was just raw determination. I think that's the single most important thing you can have. Of course, it helps if you are good with people and know how to be patient with employees and treat them right. Also helps if you can eventually learn how to market better than your competition. A lot of other things go into the equation. But determination is the biggest thing, IMO.

Company name is just a small part of the equation. But it doesn't hurt to have a great, catchy, company name.

Agape
10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
LOL, Jim I still remember tossing the MTD in the trunk of the camaro and loading the gmc trailer soooo full it would try to go around us when we stopped. we were sooo proud when we rattle canned that friggin thing!
I really miiss that old dodge you sold me and think about it still from time to time- I wish I never sold it back to you.-I miss Freddy too! I wanna find a guy like that around here!

I'm going to focus on my determination factor, great advise bro!

JimLewis
10-15-2011, 07:14 PM
LOL. Don, you're probably the only person other than my wife that remembers the set up we had back then. Humble beginnings. But everyone has to start somewhere! :laugh:

prolinelawncaremi
10-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Haulin' Grass Lawn Care

Agape
10-16-2011, 01:39 AM
How 'bout "AL EX-SCAPES"

HLM HustlerZ
10-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Lawnscapes by Alex

Or Grass Cutters.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
10-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys , Jim I am following in your tracks . I just started this year, I am towing with my mom's 2005 Toyota corolla ( Not old enough to drive yet) :(
I have the smallest trailer from lowes, 2 mtd yard machines push mowers 1 lawn boy self propelled new type :)
Stihl fs 90 r and 2 blowers br 200 brand new and new br 600 mag so I can call myself fournuate that I have all new stuff mom and aunt's credit card $2000 all I had hoping to expand in the coming years but still got 3 yrs until I can drive so we'll see I just joined here 2 months ago ... Maybe will try to keep the name I don't know??? I am determined that everything will get figured out one day
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
10-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Then you probably wanna avoid using anything in your name that indicates you do anything more than maint. without a llc#- you can get a fine.

otherwise good luck, I would have loved a lowes trlr when I first started. and TWO MTD's? You must be rich!!:waving:

Agape
10-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Also; I would avoid anything in your name that hints to how old you are, so "Sponge bob squarepants mowing" or "spidey sense scapes" is right out...

LOL (jk)

I'll tell you though, if you show up to give an estimate in a pair of dockers and a polo (even without your name on it) people will be so impressed with you at your age that it will really help you land business. people will be more likely not to judge your age.

jsslawncare
10-17-2011, 07:28 PM
White Boy Lawncare. Let's white people know that we do, do lawn work. I was told this by one of my elderly customers.

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
thanks for the advice im glad that you started off with little to nothing and now are so successful Jim. you are truly a inspiration to me just being almost 16.how did you get more customer in the earlier years of your business? door to door or advertisement.

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
no one thinks black people do lawn care and im 3rd generation im 16 and my dad is going to be 73 this year hes done it for most of his life and continues to.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions keep bringing them in it's a learning experience for me my mom always helps me she works in marketing and green enviro landscapes thanks guys AGAPE you are funny :) I will ALWAYS! Show in dockers and polls I am going to buy some on the weekend LOL..... I will eventually buy some next year I will even upload pics of them just kidding ..... I am starting to work on my website . But to not disturb the topic what is a good commercial push mower (self propelled) under $700 I just need to run on push mowers. Until I get my wright velke walk behind in 2013 or 2014 because thats what I need for postage size lots up here in the big city I wish I could buy my dream wright sentar.
Good night :)
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
10-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Also; I would avoid anything in your name that hints to how old you are, so "Sponge bob squarepants mowing" or "spidey sense scapes" is right out...

LOL (jk)

I'll tell you though, if you show up to give an estimate in a pair of dockers and a polo (even without your name on it) people will be so impressed with you at your age that it will really help you land business. people will be more likely not to judge your age.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Up to the top...
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
11-05-2011, 04:01 AM
@Alex - Jim Lewis is 100% on the money!

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
@ Ralph you are extremeley right !
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
@Alex - Jim Lewis is 100% on the money!
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Up to the top again!
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
The sodfather is a good one! But Zak's is the only option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Georgia Lawn
11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
The Sodfather. Black trucks mowers and wear black suits when working.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol this is brilliant. Seriously brilliant.

JimLewis
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
This is my submission.......

MAD whacker
11-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I want to change the name of my company and I am looking for a unique name
Any suggestion greatly appreciated. Thanks Alex

what is your focus? what is it you want people to know about your company?

whats the reason for the change?

what services do you offer , what do you do that sets you apart from the competition, how do you want your name to convey that message?

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
This is my submission.......

that is cool:cool2:

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-11-2011, 06:15 PM
what is your focus? what is it you want people to know about your company?

whats the reason for the change?

what services do you offer , what do you do that sets you apart from the competition, how do you want your name to convey that message?

answer to your questions:
1.what is your focus?
A: my focus is to become a successful landcaping business/lawn care company and to have clientele (customers)

2.what is it that you want people to know about your company?
A: the location, have flexibility, cheaper than my competitors:)

3.whats the reason for change?
A:someone in my niebourhood that services lawn care uses their first name and landscaping after it just like me:hammerhead:

4.what services do you offer?
A: lawn mowing,small koi ponds,seeding,leaf cleanup,pressure washing,garden de-weeding,flower planting,flower removal,one time mowing and more I just dont have them in my mind right now

:usflag::canadaflag:

MAD whacker
11-12-2011, 10:32 AM
answer to your questions:
1.what is your focus?
A: my focus is to become a successful landcaping business/lawn care company and to have clientele (customers)

2.what is it that you want people to know about your company?
A: the location, have flexibility, cheaper than my competitors:)

3.whats the reason for change?
A:someone in my niebourhood that services lawn care uses their first name and landscaping after it just like me:hammerhead:

4.what services do you offer?
A: lawn mowing,small koi ponds,seeding,leaf cleanup,pressure washing,garden de-weeding,flower planting,flower removal,one time mowing and more I just dont have them in my mind right now

:usflag::canadaflag:

you DO NOT have to be the cheapest lawn-guy just show value , deliver on you're word, and stay committed.

now as far as the name goes , is this other guys name Alex also? what area do you live in? does the town have a school mascot you can relate to?

and ive got a slogan for you " GREAT WORK at a GREAT PRICE "

im still kind of vague as to the CLASS of customer you're aiming at ?

JimLewis
11-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Alex,

What's your last name? Maybe that could be incorporated into the business name instead of your first. Worked for me...

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Alex,

What's your last name? Maybe that could be incorporated into the business name instead of your first. Worked for me...

Fromunda is my last name

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-15-2011, 08:04 AM
you DO NOT have to be the cheapest lawn-guy just show value , deliver on you're word, and stay committed.

now as far as the name goes , is this other guys name Alex also? what area do you live in? does the town have a school mascot you can relate to?

and ive got a slogan for you " GREAT WORK at a GREAT PRICE "

im still kind of vague as to the CLASS of customer you're aiming at ?

you are right for the first one 150%

no his name is not Alex

no school mascot

nice slogan I will write that one down for the t-shirts next yr

what do you mean? im still kind of vague as to the CLASS of customer you're aiming at?

JimLewis
11-15-2011, 12:13 PM
What he means is like are you hoping to attract more upper class customers in bigger homes with nicer yards? Upper-Middle class in tighter sub-divisions where homes are a little more squished closer together but still fairly nice big homes (with maybe smaller yards)? Or just your average Joe (middle class) who lives in a small home with a not very big or not very nice yard?

What's the target market? What is the sort of area you live in? Are there a lot of rich people around? Do you see a lot of Mercedes and such driving around the areas you'd like to service?

Your marketing plan, your business name, your slogan, all that will depend a little on who your target market is. If it's the upper class homes you're trying to focus on, then using a slogan that has to do with price or being cheap is going to turn them off. They are more interested in working with a company they trust, someone who seems more established, who has experience, who will be around for a long time, solid reputation, and great quality. They care less about price and more about all these other things. So you'd need to plan accordingly. With them you'd want a name, a marketing plan, a slogan, etc. that would infer quality and reliability and professionalism. So names like "Pro Lawn & Landscapes" might be something you'd use.

But if you're target is the upper-middle class then you'll need to focus on BOTH quality and cost. Because while they may have a little expendable money, they're still watching their budget each month. They WANT the quality, professionalism, etc. but they also want it at a fair price. Not necessarily the cheapest price. But something that's competitive. In this case, something along the lines of "Custom Landcaping by Alex" with a slogan like "Dependable, Affordable Care" would be something to consider.

On the other hand, if you're focus is just your average Joe (middle class), then you're probably going to have to be very "affordable" (which is a better word for "cheap"). And you'll want to focus your name, image, marketing plan, etc. on that. So in this case, maybe "Affordable Landscaping" would be a good name. Or "Affordable Lawn & Landscape".

So he's just asking you which of these markets are you thinking you're going to be aiming for? Which of these markets do you have a lot of in your area?

mowZ06
11-15-2011, 04:51 PM
" Mow & Go Lawn Service "
Give us a holler if you want to save a dollar.

On a serious note your last name would work. It is unique.
Fromunda Lawn & Landscape Services.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-15-2011, 05:13 PM
What he means is like are you hoping to attract more upper class customers in bigger homes with nicer yards? Upper-Middle class in tighter sub-divisions where homes are a little more squished closer together but still fairly nice big homes (with maybe smaller yards)? Or just your average Joe (middle class) who lives in a small home with a not very big or not very nice yard?

What's the target market? What is the sort of area you live in? Are there a lot of rich people around? Do you see a lot of Mercedes and such driving around the areas you'd like to service?

Your marketing plan, your business name, your slogan, all that will depend a little on who your target market is. If it's the upper class homes you're trying to focus on, then using a slogan that has to do with price or being cheap is going to turn them off. They are more interested in working with a company they trust, someone who seems more established, who has experience, who will be around for a long time, solid reputation, and great quality. They care less about price and more about all these other things. So you'd need to plan accordingly. With them you'd want a name, a marketing plan, a slogan, etc. that would infer quality and reliability and professionalism. So names like "Pro Lawn & Landscapes" might be something you'd use.

But if you're target is the upper-middle class then you'll need to focus on BOTH quality and cost. Because while they may have a little expendable money, they're still watching their budget each month. They WANT the quality, professionalism, etc. but they also want it at a fair price. Not necessarily the cheapest price. But something that's competitive. In this case, something along the lines of "Custom Landcaping by Alex" with a slogan like "Dependable, Affordable Care" would be something to consider.

On the other hand, if you're focus is just your average Joe (middle class), then you're probably going to have to be very "affordable" (which is a better word for "cheap"). And you'll want to focus your name, image, marketing plan, etc. on that. So in this case, maybe "Affordable Landscaping" would be a good name. Or "Affordable Lawn & Landscape".

So he's just asking you which of these markets are you thinking you're going to be aiming for? Which of these markets do you have a lot of in your area?

JimLewis:

Thanks for clarifing that for me.
I have the upper-middle class area in my nieghbourhood predimoniated by senior citizens.
So I will be focusing on that plan (upper-middle class)

MAD whacker
11-15-2011, 07:59 PM
JimLewis:

Thanks for clarifing that for me.
I have the upper-middle class area in my nieghbourhood predimoniated by senior citizens.
So I will be focusing on that plan (upper-middle class)

older citizens or in this case customers are like children, they take lots of care and time, they need firmillar trustworthy faces , and are ALWAYS LOOKING TO SAVE!!!!!!!!!!!

and a senior citizen discount is going to work great. just learn to "work it into" the pricing..

DEPENDABLE CUT LAWN SERVICE by ALEX

and work the youth ticket its not a bad thing , youre smiling face on a simple and bold card would work great. dont forget the enthusiasm ( which im sure your not lacking) but dont get broad washed into "doing itcheaper "

M.W.

JimLewis
11-16-2011, 01:15 AM
All great advice from M.W.

To add to what he said, every time you give a bid, just increase the price you would normally charge by 10%. Then put "10% Sr. Citizen Discount" on the bottom of your estimate sheets. This way you're still offering a discount, which they will love. But you're raising your overall prices so that you don't really end up losing.

Understanding how real profit works also really essential to a guy who's starting out too. I'll give you a real quick explanation that will make you think about how you give discounts:

Let's say you charge $100.00 per month for a certain account. Flat fee. Same every month - just for demonstration purposes. A typical profit margin for our industry is 20%. So as it is now, you're making 20% profit on every account you have. Which isn't bad. But let's say you just keep prices the same but then introduce a "10% Senior Discount". Every senior citizen is going to love that. And you're going to be thinking "So what? It's just $10 out of $100 I'm making. No big deal." Well, it really is a big deal. Because you just gave away HALF of your company profits!!! Instead of making 20% on that account, now you're making only 10% profit. That's 50% less profit than you used to be making. You keep doing this over and over and soon you're just not making enough profit to stay in business. Happens all the time.

So this is why M.W. and I are saying raise prices first - THEN offer a Sr. Discount. That way your profit margin stays the same. And for those who don't qualify for a Sr. discount, you'll actually be making more profit.

ralph02813
11-16-2011, 06:34 AM
All great advice from M.W.

To add to what he said, every time you give a bid, just increase the price you would normally charge by 10%. Then put "10% Sr. Citizen Discount" on the bottom of your estimate sheets. This way you're still offering a discount, which they will love. But you're raising your overall prices so that you don't really end up losing.

Understanding how real profit works also really essential to a guy who's starting out too. I'll give you a real quick explanation that will make you think about how you give discounts:

Let's say you charge $100.00 per month for a certain account. Flat fee. Same every month - just for demonstration purposes. A typical profit margin for our industry is 20%. So as it is now, you're making 20% profit on every account you have. Which isn't bad. But let's say you just keep prices the same but then introduce a "10% Senior Discount". Every senior citizen is going to love that. And you're going to be thinking "So what? It's just $10 out of $100 I'm making. No big deal." Well, it really is a big deal. Because you just gave away HALF of your company profits!!! Instead of making 20% on that account, now you're making only 10% profit. That's 50% less profit than you used to be making. You keep doing this over and over and soon you're just not making enough profit to stay in business. Happens all the time.

So this is why M.W. and I are saying raise prices first - THEN offer a Sr. Discount. That way your profit margin stays the same. And for those who don't qualify for a Sr. discount, you'll actually be making more profit.

@jim lewis -your thought process is right, but your math is not. check out this write up and table there is a real difference between markup, markdown and margin, if in you example, if you want to make 20% you need to mark up the $100.00 cost by $125.00 this give you a service price of $125.00 a 10% senior discount lowers the price to $112.50 thus your price is raised by $12.50, which you wood deem necessary.
The important part of knowing what you are making, is knowing what you are not making. I forgot where I got this, it is on the web and i guess you can find a fuller discussion if you google Margin

Margin And Markup Table

This table is designed to assist in converting the different methods of arriving at a retail price. Use the multiplier on cost to achieve the desired margin. For example, to achieve a 33.33% margin use a 150% (1.50) multiplier. Another way to express the difference is that a markup percentage of 50% only yields a margin percentage of 33.33%. Markup, defined as the percentage added to cost to arrive at a selling price, is commonly used to price materials. If you want to mark up an item 20%, you add 20% of the item's cost to the cost. However, as we have demonstrated, a 50% markup does NOT yield a 50% margin! It is important that you utilize margin and markup properly. Here are the formulae that should help:

Margin
If the cost for an item is $500 and you want a 30% margin:

$500 / (100%-30%)
$500 / (70%)
$500 / .70 = $714.29

COST / (100%-GM%) = SELLING PRICE

A variation taught by many accountants is to also include what is known as base overhead factor (BOF). That ranges from 1.25% to 5%. The same margin with the BOF method, in this case 5%, would be as follows:

$500 / (100%-30%-5%)
$500 / (65%)
$500 / .65 = $769.23

COST / (100%-GM%-BOF%) = SELLING PRICE

In the Margin example above, do NOT make the common error of multiplying by .70! In this case that would yield a selling price of $850.00; nice if you can get it honestly but the greatest probability is that a competitor would undercut your bid at the same (anticipated) margin!

Markup
If an item cost $500 and you want to add a 20% markup:

500 X 20% = $10
$500 + $100 = $600 SELLING PRICE

The actual margin on this item is less than 20%.
($600 - 500) / $600 = 16.67%
(RETAIL - COST) / RETAIL

MARKUP PERCENTAGE MARGIN PERCENTAGE MULTIPLIER PERCENTAGE
20 16.67% 120
21 17.36% 121
22 18.03% 122
23 18.70% 123
24 19.35% 124
25 20.00% 125
26 20.63% 126
27 21.26% 127
28 21.88% 128
29 22.48% 129
30 23.08% 130
31 23.66% 131
32 24.24% 132
33 24.81% 133
34 25.37% 134
35 25.93% 135
36 26.47% 136
37 27.01% 137
38 27.54% 138
39 28.06% 139
40 28.57% 140
41 29.08% 141
42 29.58% 142
43 30.07% 143
44 30.56% 144
45 31.03% 145
46 31.51% 146
47 31.97% 147
48 32.43% 148
49 32.89% 149
50 33.33% 150
51 33.77% 151
52 34.21% 152
53 34.64% 153
54 35.06% 154
55 35.48% 155
56 35.90% 156
57 36.31% 157
58 36.71% 158
59 37.11% 159
60 37.50% 160
61 37.89% 161
62 38.27% 162
63 38.65% 163
64 39.02% 164
65 39.39% 165
66 39.76% 166
67 40.12% 167
68 40.48% 168
69 40.83% 169
70 41.18% 170
71 41.52% 171
72 41.86% 172
73 42.20% 173
74 42.53% 174
75 42.86% 175

JimLewis
11-16-2011, 11:05 AM
No, I do understand all that. I was just oversimplifying here. This is a young man we're talking to here. I was just trying to identify a simple concept, not explain it out fully. In this case, if he were to raise prices 10% and then offer a 10% senior discount, I understand he would still be losing a little bit. But I'm assuming he can afford to do that with almost no overhead being a really small company. So for now, that's okay. He loses 2% or whatever, not that big of a deal. Better than giving half his profits away.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I do understand all that. And we price accordingly. But there's a big difference between how I operate with 28 employees, 14 trucks on the road, and $2Mil. in annual sales vs. how a very small business needs to operate. You learn the nuances as you grow and get bigger. When you're young, just understanding the general concepts is a better place to start than where 90% of LCOs are.

MAD whacker
11-16-2011, 12:34 PM
@jim lewis -your thought process is right, but your math is not. check out this write up and table there is a real difference between markup, markdown and margin, if in you example, if you want to make 20% you need to mark up the $100.00 cost by $125.00 this give you a service price of $125.00 a 10% senior discount lowers the price to $112.50 thus your price is raised by $12.50, which you wood deem necessary.
The important part of knowing what you are making, is knowing what you are not making. I forgot where I got this, it is on the web and i guess you can find a fuller discussion if you google Margin

Margin And Markup Table

This table is designed to assist in converting the different methods of arriving at a retail price. Use the multiplier on cost to achieve the desired margin. For example, to achieve a 33.33% margin use a 150% (1.50) multiplier. Another way to express the difference is that a markup percentage of 50% only yields a margin percentage of 33.33%. Markup, defined as the percentage added to cost to arrive at a selling price, is commonly used to price materials. If you want to mark up an item 20%, you add 20% of the item's cost to the cost. However, as we have demonstrated, a 50% markup does NOT yield a 50% margin! It is important that you utilize margin and markup properly. Here are the formulae that should help:

Margin
If the cost for an item is $500 and you want a 30% margin:

$500 / (100%-30%)
$500 / (70%)
$500 / .70 = $714.29

COST / (100%-GM%) = SELLING PRICE

A variation taught by many accountants is to also include what is known as base overhead factor (BOF). That ranges from 1.25% to 5%. The same margin with the BOF method, in this case 5%, would be as follows:

$500 / (100%-30%-5%)
$500 / (65%)
$500 / .65 = $769.23

COST / (100%-GM%-BOF%) = SELLING PRICE

In the Margin example above, do NOT make the common error of multiplying by .70! In this case that would yield a selling price of $850.00; nice if you can get it honestly but the greatest probability is that a competitor would undercut your bid at the same (anticipated) margin!

Markup
If an item cost $500 and you want to add a 20% markup:

500 X 20% = $10
$500 + $100 = $600 SELLING PRICE

The actual margin on this item is less than 20%.
($600 - 500) / $600 = 16.67%
(RETAIL - COST) / RETAIL

MARKUP PERCENTAGE MARGIN PERCENTAGE MULTIPLIER PERCENTAGE
20 16.67% 120
21 17.36% 121
22 18.03% 122
23 18.70% 123
24 19.35% 124
25 20.00% 125
26 20.63% 126
27 21.26% 127
28 21.88% 128
29 22.48% 129
30 23.08% 130
31 23.66% 131
32 24.24% 132
33 24.81% 133
34 25.37% 134
35 25.93% 135
36 26.47% 136
37 27.01% 137
38 27.54% 138
39 28.06% 139
40 28.57% 140
41 29.08% 141
42 29.58% 142
43 30.07% 143
44 30.56% 144
45 31.03% 145
46 31.51% 146
47 31.97% 147
48 32.43% 148
49 32.89% 149
50 33.33% 150
51 33.77% 151
52 34.21% 152
53 34.64% 153
54 35.06% 154
55 35.48% 155
56 35.90% 156
57 36.31% 157
58 36.71% 158
59 37.11% 159
60 37.50% 160
61 37.89% 161
62 38.27% 162
63 38.65% 163
64 39.02% 164
65 39.39% 165
66 39.76% 166
67 40.12% 167
68 40.48% 168
69 40.83% 169
70 41.18% 170
71 41.52% 171
72 41.86% 172
73 42.20% 173
74 42.53% 174
75 42.86% 175

hmmmmmmm........... I'm understanding what you said but here is my opinion ...

if i sell a service for $55 and i need $55 to make it work , then i want to show a sales price to some one , so i "MARK IT UP" to say $65 and i knock off my sales price for the "mark up" , and upon closing the sale I've sold a $55 service for $55 what have i lost ?

its not that you're wrong , and I'm certainly not getting in a debate here I'm just showing the ideas of theory to ALEX so he can get more business .

another thing you could do ALEX is an incentive's program.

lets say you have customer who are pay as they go customers , so you cut their grass twice a month for $60 each time , you want to get repeat services here so you could introduce a pay for 10 get 1 free program . on this deal you need to cut each time for $60 , so you do ($60) x (11) and that comes to
$660 then you divide that cost ($660) / (10) that comes to $66 per cut and you aren't losing any money , also the customer get rewarded for their loyalty.

finding what works and what doesn't is not the funnest part of running a business , but if you stay persistent and think creatively you will do fine .

M.W.

ralph02813
11-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Madwhacker, how do you figure you need what you need, you are talking about markups and markdowns, which are not margins. How do you figure you need the $55.00 - and then you decide well let me bullsh&&%t the customer raise the price by $10.00 and then give them a $10.00 discount.

When you said "finding what works and what doesn't is not the funnest part of running a business , but if you stay persistent and think creatively you will do fine" i would agree until you go out of business. The problem with this business is not many people are making the kind of money they should be making for the money they are spending to make it.
Big cash flow is great until you hit a bump in the road and there is enough in your little cookie jar to support the cash drain.

Also when you said " lets say you have customer who are pay as they go customers , so you cut their grass twice a month for $60 each time , you want to get repeat services here so you could introduce a pay for 10 get 1 free program . on this deal you need to cut each time for $60 , so you do ($60) x (11) and that comes to
$660 then you divide that cost ($660) / (10) that comes to $66 per cut and you aren't losing any money , also the customer get rewarded for their loyalty.

How do you make money on this program???? What is your cost of doing the cut, what else are you offering besides the cut, how much are you making on them.

Alex what you need to do first and for most is find out how much it cost you to do business.

Go the the SBA website, down load the programs for writing a business plan, writing a marketing plan and follow the outline, set your goals, know what you are making and not making, know what you are not making is a good thing not as bad thing as some think, it allows you to put practices in place that will sustain you in the long run.

JimLewis
11-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Ralph, what you're saying is all good advice. But unfortunately, it's a long ways away from reality. Sure, everyone should understand the full dynamics of running a business. I would argue that even more important than the things you mentioned should be that every LCO should get some serious training on modern day marketing. Because without calls and customers, the rest doesn't even matter. And I find this is most LCOs and landscaping co's biggest weakness. You could also argue that account is of primary importance. Without proper accounting, you can really screw a lot of things up. You would argue that people need to learn about profit, understand what they're making, etc. Fine, all well and good.

But the reality is most people don't jump into the LCO or Landscaping business because they're good or patient at learning things like accounting, marketing, profit margins, or business plans. They jump into this business because even despite being good at all that stuff, you can often make some pretty decent money right off the bat. This is a business that you can get into and even if you aren't the sharpest business person out there and even if you are lacking the patience to study all that stuff or understand what all of it means, you can still do pretty well. That's the reality.

If you get successful enough, I think eventually those things just fall into place naturally. You'll eventually learn how to do proper accounting, or hire someone who does. You'll eventually learn how to market properly or you'll go out of business. You'll eventually learn how to price so that you are really making a profit. All these things can be taught over time.

Sure, ideally it would be great if everyone learned this when they were just starting or even before they started their business. But the reality is most won't, don't have the patience or are just sick of studying and just want to go out and work and make some money.

ralph02813
11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Jim Lewis,
I hear you - I come from almost 3 decades in the fish business, I have watched dozens go out of business when times got tough ( fuel prices went up, and new regulations) all of a sudden sons couldn't do business exactly the way dad and grandpa did - family businesses over a 100 years old were gone in months...
So, my history makes it difficult to ignore some of this stuff. At what point do we stop supporting the lemonade stands every kid wants to open.There is an old story about to guys who decide to go into the pumpking business, they pool their money $1000, the buy a small truck for $900 and spend the rest on 100 pumpkins they find the perfect spot to sell their pumpkins, they set up shop and in a couple of hours sell there 100 pumpkins for $100 they set there scratching their heads trying to figure out where they went wrong - finally one guy looks at the other and says --- we need a bigger truck.

Glenn Lawn Care
11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
" Mow & Go Lawn Service "
Give us a holler if you want to save a dollar.

On a serious note your last name would work. It is unique.
Fromunda Lawn & Landscape Services.

If you go with the first one you have to change "holler" to 'holla' and 'dollar' to 'dolla'.

And the second one with your last name is a very good idea, thats what I did... but I would leave out services.

MAD whacker
11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Madwhacker, how do you figure you need what you need, you are talking about markups and markdowns, which are not margins. How do you figure you need the $55.00 - and then you decide well let me bullsh&&%t the customer raise the price by $10.00 and then give them a $10.00 discount.

When you said "finding what works and what doesn't is not the funnest part of running a business , but if you stay persistent and think creatively you will do fine" i would agree until you go out of business. The problem with this business is not many people are making the kind of money they should be making for the money they are spending to make it.
Big cash flow is great until you hit a bump in the road and there is enough in your little cookie jar to support the cash drain.

Also when you said " lets say you have customer who are pay as they go customers , so you cut their grass twice a month for $60 each time , you want to get repeat services here so you could introduce a pay for 10 get 1 free program . on this deal you need to cut each time for $60 , so you do ($60) x (11) and that comes to

How do you make money on this program???? What is your cost of doing the cut, what else are you offering besides the cut, how much are you making on them.

Alex what you need to do first and for most is find out how much it cost you to do business.

Go the the SBA website, down load the programs for writing a business plan, writing a marketing plan and follow the outline, set your goals, know what you are making and not making, know what you are not making is a good thing not as bad thing as some think, it allows you to put practices in place that will sustain you in the long run.

im just using examples here , so dont trash the thread , im sure my business practices work fine , i do own a hvac and electrical co. thats where i started , and yes im sure you know what you are saying , but telling a 15 yo young man to go all C.E.O. is absurd to me . im not going to further trash ALEXs thread so have fun mr. and much respect to you and your business ...

ALEX im sure you'll figure out what works and what doesn't and im also sure that it can still be fun as-well ............

whichever name you choose (or keep) im sure it will do fine ,as long as you realize the market your hunting so to speak, and stay enthusiastic.

good luck and well be rooting for you lil' buddy.

M.W.

ralph02813
11-16-2011, 03:14 PM
advice is advice crap is crap peddle what you like madwhacker just don't go whining like so many do on this listserve when some kid or guy comes along and offers to do the lawn you are charging $45 for $25 cause dah da gots no overhead.

MAD whacker
11-16-2011, 04:06 PM
advice is advice crap is crap peddle what you like madwhacker just don't go whining like so many do on this listserve when some kid or guy comes along and offers to do the lawn you are charging $45 for $25 cause dah da gots no overhead.

ive found that there has always been enough work to go around and im not afraid of competition ........

its hard to convey messages and not have something lost in the transfer , i am not bashing you or anyone else , but im sure helping ALEX isnt going to end the world , and reputation being what it is , some people HAVE to lower their prices , im just not that guy .... sorry again if my response seems like a smart-Alec im not trying to be that way , im just helping a young man learn and put those lessons into practice .

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Bump......
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
bump................................................................................................ ................

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Same thing...
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
11-22-2011, 04:05 PM
huh i dont get it

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I mean Bump
@Ralph
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
11-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I mean Bump
@Ralph
Posted via Mobile Device

I was bored and saw this thread when about to shut down for the night. I too have thought about changing my company name to something catchy but can't think of anything and have almost reached the point that it might not be the best thing to do IMO. I do not mow or landscape. I have a weed control/fertilization company. However, a name I always thought would be good but would probably cause confusion with my line of business is (drum roll please....) "DREAMSCAPES". Just a thought...Good Luck

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
I was bored and saw this thread when about to shut down for the night. I too have thought about changing my company name to something catchy but can't think of anything and have almost reached the point that it might not be the best thing to do IMO. I do not mow or landscape. I have a weed control/fertilization company. However, a name I always thought would be good but would probably cause confusion with my line of business is (drum roll please....) "DREAMSCAPES". Just a thought...Good Luck

So just to make it clear you only do
Weed/fert no mowing?
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
11-24-2011, 10:30 PM
That is correct. No mowing, edging, pruning, mulching etc... Weed Control and fertilization ONLY. I am licensed for turf and ornamental trees/shrubs. Any name that had "scapes" in it and I'd be getting calls for landscape work...

JCLawn and more
11-24-2011, 10:38 PM
I juts got my name thins spring. When I was thinking of mine I was banging my head against the wall. Just don't use your name in it, it looks stupid. So I live in Michigan. I wanted Southern Michigan Outdoor Maintenance, but my advertiser said "TOO LONG!!!" So we shortened it up to MI Green. It confuses people when you say it, but it stick in their heads. They are like My Green?, migraine? or Me Green? My friends hated it at first, but my potential customers love it when I get feed back and think its professional. Try to use your location and what you do in your business name. Or something known in your area.