PDA

View Full Version : question on first mower purchase! PLEASE HELP!

matergalc
10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
I will be in the market for a mower soon to replace borrowing one. I am new and part time when off from the fd. I have a 5x10 trailer and have a question on a stand on vs a ztr. I have one large commercial account and 2 medium yards. Hope to pick up more next year. My question is I have measured a new mower on my trailer ans there is no room for it and a wlak behind. Would you do a 54" stand on and a 36" walk behind or a big ztr and a 21" mower. Not concerned with standing vs sitting. I thought the stand on would be a all around mower. It will be my main mower also. THANKS

frostedunit
10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
First off, thank you for putting your life on the line for all of us.

I am in a similar situation as you and asked this same question a few weeks ago. Since then I have had the chance to try out a few stand ons and I have come to the realization that a walk behind only is the way to go right now. If you're working by yourself and have any sort of hills at all, you will need a decent walk behind. The stander will do better than a Z, but nothing beats a WB on the hills. If you're not having to worry about gates, go ahead and just get a 52 or 60" WB with a Velke and you'll be prepared for all types of situations without having to shell out a ton of money
Posted via Mobile Device

matergalc
10-16-2011, 11:45 AM
thanks I don't have hills, I have thought about them and looking at getting on in a 36 and either a stander or a z. My question is which would others do? I have a small trailer and have thought of getting a bigger one but then I need a bigger truck as well. Is the stander worth it? Everyone here has a big z and just go as fast as they can. I want to be different and I spend more time with detail.

mowerman90
10-16-2011, 12:13 PM
My suggestion to you is that if you don't have hills to worry about then get yourself a bigger trailer, no matter what truck you have. Most of the guys on this site think that you have to have big v8's and diesels to haul stuff and for plowing snow in the winter. I'm in FL (no hills or snow) and have never had a problem towing a 6.5x12 trailer with an Izuzu 4 cyl 4 sp or a S10 4 cyl 4 sp. My current truck is a full size GMC with a v6 auto. By getting a bigger trailer you can get the type of mower that you need now and in the future without having to worry about it fitting on the trailer. Granted, I'll never win any drag races with my truck but I never had a bit of problems with any of them. I know there will be other members that will tell you that you'll rip the frame off or tear up the rearend but the biggest problem I ever had was not having enough braking force. That was solved by installing brakes on the trailer -problem solved.

J & D Greens
10-16-2011, 12:33 PM
You are just starting your business so your overhead will determine many things. You will pocket more when you spend less and that is what it is all about when you are first starting out. A new walk behind will cost half what a stander cost and even more than half of a ZTR. You will find that the walk behind will do a great job and if you purchase it new it will last well into your 3rd season without worries. When you get good with it you can avoid rutting where it is difficult in wet conditions to control a stander on slopes and tight turns. Now a stander may make perfect sense once you are well established and can afford and justify such an expense. But then you would have both giving you the ability to do a good job regardless of the conditions.

I work SOLO (35-38 accounts 4 cutting days) but even if I ran a crew, I would stay with only walk behinds just because I want to keep my overhead low. You will find money disappears quickly and every penny counts.

Scag 32"-36" would be my first new mower choice. Right now I run a 32" Encore (used) because it was practically given to me and is making me good money. My 21" mowers are Toro 2-stroke Pro-lines.

I hope this help because I know how much I would like to have all the gadgets
,but I would not last a single season going after things I truly can do with-out

matergalc
10-16-2011, 02:57 PM
thanks guys I am looking at that now and I'll get a stande or ztr in the 2nd or 3rd season. I have a little ranger but it will bearly pull anything so getting a new truck in a month or so. I'm in southeast louisiana.