PDA

View Full Version : Truck bed wood

DavidD
10-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Anyone here have a pressure treated trailer or truck bed? I'm trying to decide whether to take a oak log to the mill or just use pressure treated for my truck build.

32vld
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Oak does not stand up to moisture well. Rots to easy. Beautiful grain, strong, though too heavy.

Thing is if you can get oak logs for free, have a friend that has a mill to cut the wood extra cheap, time to spend re sanding, re staining, re varnishing the oak top and bottom every fall then spring so the oak will last as long as possible then go for it.

There's a reason why decks and outdoor/patio furniture is not made from oak

32vld
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Use construction grade cedar. Good rot resistance, nice looking. Or just yellow pine it. Then replace with new pine when floor is shot.

DavidD
10-14-2011, 11:27 AM
The reason i was considering rough sawn is because the surface is obviously rough which gives better traction and it will not shrink like pt and I have plenty of logs around.

32vld
10-15-2011, 11:04 AM
All woods shrink and warp. Rough cut or smooth finished oak rots too easy for outside use. And you can buy cedar and pine rough cut.

So you have some logs. You don't tell us that you will always be able to get logs for free and you can get them cut to boards for next to nothing.

If you can do this at low cost then turn your logs into trailer floor. It will most likely be cheaper then buying lumber from the lumber yard. In that case if you don't mind having to replace the trailer floor at shorter intervals then go with oak.