PDA

View Full Version : Compost Pile Growing Weeds

Smallaxe
10-14-2011, 08:54 AM
What would you do with a pile of compost, that may possibly be contaminated with weed seeds?

Is it still OK to spread on peoples' lawns for overseeding in the Autumn and early Spring?

The compost itself is very good... and isn't 'Full" of weeds, but they do pop up here and there...
Should I be concerned? and what can be done to avoid spreading weeds to other lawns?

JDiepstra
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I would aerate the pile because it probably has too much thatch buildup.

Then id pull the weeds, turn the pile, and see what happens. Just cause i dont have a better answer!

TheMadLandscaper
10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
What would you do with a pile of compost, that may possibly be contaminated with weed seeds?

Is it still OK to spread on peoples' lawns for overseeding in the Autumn and early Spring?

The compost itself is very good... and isn't 'Full" of weeds, but they do pop up here and there...
Should I be concerned? and what can be done to avoid spreading weeds to other lawns?

The compost is usable , but I would not take a chance using it as a topdressing for a lawn. Here is a link with some good information on compost - http://www.extension.org/pages/28585/composting-to-reduce-weed-seeds-and-plant-pathogens

Finished compost can become recontaminated with weed seeds if weeds are allowed to grow and go to seed on or adjacent to the pile or windrow. Similarly, compost can become contaminated with vegetative reproductive structures from some weeds—Canada thistle and rhizomateous grasses, for example—if they are allowed to grow on or adjacent to the pile. Keep vegetation adjacent to stored compost mowed short, and tarp piles or windrows to prevent contamination by wind-blown weed seeds. When moving or spreading finished compost, avoid picking up soil or other contaminants from under or around the pile or windrow

Smallaxe
10-15-2011, 07:16 AM
The main thing I'm concerned about is the quackgrass... but it could be from adjacent weeds near the pile...