PDA

View Full Version : Another overseeding related question

spyder24
10-14-2011, 12:43 PM
First off, this forum has been incredibly helpful to me. Today makes the 14th day since my lawn was aereated, overseeded (Lesco Transition Blend seed) and fertilized (18-24-12). Overall, I was very pleased with the guy who did the work. I have been diligent in watering the grass every day and am now seeing decent germination.

Here are my questions:

1. When should I mow? The old grass is getting pretty tall
2. At what height should I mow? ( Tall Fescus was planted)
3. Should I bag or mulch the grass when I mow?

Thanks again for all of the advice.

pudgy
10-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I would cut it when it's at 4inches. Set your mower at 3inches so your not shocking your grass. I would bag the clipping the first two times so your not suffocating the grass that hasn't germinated yet. DO NOT make quick turns when cutting and mow when your lawn is dry. (Saw someone today mowing in the pouring rain, NOT smart)

spyder24
10-14-2011, 11:08 PM
I would cut it when it's at 4inches. Set your mower at 3inches so your not shocking your grass. I would bag the clipping the first two times so your not suffocating the grass that hasn't germinated yet. DO NOT make quick turns when cutting and mow when your lawn is dry. (Saw someone today mowing in the pouring rain, NOT smart)

Thanks pudgy!

Rick111
10-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Also make sure your blade is sharp. If not it will pull out the new seedlings instead of cutting them.

spyder24
10-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Also make sure your blade is sharp. If not it will pull out the new seedlings instead of cutting them.

Good point. I am getting my blade sharpened this weekend and plan to mow tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.