PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat, Little Wonder, or Giant Vac

CJC3
10-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I am planning on buying a truck loader this coming Monday. I went to three different dealers that sell all three. All three said that a different one was better. They all have the briggs vanguard 18 hp engine. Construction and durability wise what one is better?

wcb607a
10-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I am planning on buying a truck loader this coming Monday. I went to three different dealers that sell all three. All three said that a different one was better. They all have the briggs vanguard 18 hp engine. Construction and durability wise what one is better?

I have the 18 vanguard billy goat truck loader and it is ok. I wish I bought a bigger unit, like the 27 little wonder. Leafs do get clogged in the intake pipe, but overall it does the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
10-14-2011, 11:02 PM
My old boss had a giant vac leaf loader that was atleast 15 years old, and it seemed to work pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device

SpudsM15
10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Had a 16hp Billy goat and wore it completely out in 4 seasons. Works good with dry leaves, but the pace slows considerably once you start dealing with wet or mulched up debris. I considered going with a 27hp LW or giant vac, but those units are heavy to tongue mount on a landscape trailer but i have seen this done before. Depending on what you plan to do in the future the bigger the better.. if your going to stay small 1-2 man operation 18hp of any of the 3 will serve you well, but if you plan on expanding best get a bigger unit.
I went the overkill option got a 87 hp diesel giant-vac, its pretty dangerous but I love it!

BlackBirdWS.6
10-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I have a Giant Vac and love it. Never once caused a problem and does a great job. I don't see a lot of Little Wonders in my area, but I do see a lot of Billy Goats and everyone I know with one hates it. They all say they wear out quickly, and the top chute that curves into the box wears away because the metal is so thin.

CJC3
10-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I have a Giant Vac and love it. Never once caused a problem and does a great job. I don't see a lot of Little Wonders in my area, but I do see a lot of Billy Goats and everyone I know with one hates it. They all say they wear out quickly, and the top chute that curves into the box wears away because the metal is so thin.

What engine do you have on the giant vac?

BlackBirdWS.6
10-16-2011, 02:55 PM
What engine do you have on the giant vac?

The Kohler 16 Horse

deerewashed
10-16-2011, 04:27 PM
frandan......

Lbilawncare
10-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Whichever model has the largest diameter discharge. The 18hp Billy Goat models I have used clog really easily if the debris is mulched already. I have a 27hp Little Wonder that only clogs if small sticks are sucked up.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
We had a little wonder 16 and worked just fine. We just picked up a giant vac 25 we will see. The add anywhere to the little wonders to me would be the standard wear plates and the tallon shredder on the impeller really did grind up debris better. As far as the gusts of steel they all seem similar. Good luck with your purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device

wcb607a
10-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Whichever model has the largest diameter discharge. The 18hp Billy Goat models I have used clog really easily if the debris is mulched already. I have a 27hp Little Wonder that only clogs if small sticks are sucked up.

How do you like the little wonder 27 hp. Does it really shread up the debris really well. And how is the suction compared to my 18hp Billy goat, which I am not really impressed with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
10-16-2011, 07:14 PM
A couple years ago I owned a Billy Goat 20hp loader. It was a few years old when I bought it. I used it for a season before selling it off, mainly because I just didn't have the right set-up back then. The 20hp was pretty powerful and the 12" intake hose was nice. It wasn't too easy to clog, but would clog in heavy amounts of wet leaves (not often and easy to clear by shaking the hose a little bit). My one complaint is that it didn't shred the leaves very well. It would cut up the leaves a little bit, but not very well. I wished it would have shredded better so I could fit more in each load. Now, the unit I had was well before the companies started adding the small shredding blades in the loaders.

I have heard that the Little Wonder units shred quite well, but I have no experience with them. But as I am once again contemplating a loader, I've started to look closer into the little wonder loaders.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-16-2011, 07:28 PM
We had the little wonder with tallon ring. You can easily make them for any impeller.
Posted via Mobile Device

wcb607a
10-16-2011, 07:52 PM
We had the little wonder with tallon ring. You can easily make them for any impeller.
Posted via Mobile Device

How?
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Take a look at the talons. We measured them and cut new ones welded them on and it has worked great.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwsland
10-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I just bought my first lleaf loader this year. 18hp Billy goat. I choose it mainly because of the weight and size. I often work alone or with one other person. Didnt want a tow behind because I needed compatability with pick-up truck/ dump trailer.

I have used it once so far this year for an early leaf clean up. The leaves were dry and I was very impressed. Small sticks went right through with no problems.

I'm surprised to see all the comments bias towards the billy goat. I dont have anything to compare my billy goat too though, I've been dragging tarps for years and got fed up.

Lbilawncare
10-16-2011, 10:02 PM
How do you like the little wonder 27 hp. Does it really shread up the debris really well. And how is the suction compared to my 18hp Billy goat, which I am not really impressed with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

We rarely use it for piles of leaves that haven't already been mulched thoroughly by our bagger. It does shred well and has plenty of horsepower and suction.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
10-17-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm accused of being biased... but, all Billy Goat DL's (12hp to 25hp) have serrated 3/8th armor plate steel impellers (tough to say the least), dual shredding technology (reduces it the best of anyone) and clear hoses (so you can see what's actually going on).

I recommend you get a side by side comparison to really know how one stacks up versus another. We own those competitive units and I've run them and know how we stack up performance wise. That's exactly why I recommend running them side by side. Blowhards like me are silenced when the products speak for themselves.

We're family owned, US designed and made, support Lawnsite, and you get someone as charming as me to answer your questions. :dizzy:

Lbilawncare
10-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Clear hoses are a plus, that is one thing I wish ours had.

bonzo1012
10-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Billy goats and Little wonders are good for beginners. Giant Vacs for the more serious debris removal (a little better constructed). If you want to kick some serious a$$, Xtreme Vac is the way to go. Its belt driven and built like a tank. The impeller is huge and has six gussted blades not four.

jwsland
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
I just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRpdkBBLVQ and honestly my 18hp billy goat killed piles that size in less time and if I put my intake hose that close to the ground it woulda sucked itself onto the grass, chain tight or not, those tubes flex. That box doesn't look anywhere near 14 yards! Whats a setup like that cost? 10k? doesn't look like it could anything alse except for debris.

The little wonders, giant vac and monster loader were all considered but seeing them side by side billy goat had an advantage that fit my needs over the others.

bonzo1012
10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRpdkBBLVQ and honestly my 18hp billy goat killed piles that size in less time and if I put my intake hose that close to the ground it woulda sucked itself onto the grass, chain tight or not, those tubes flex. That box doesn't look anywhere near 14 yards! Whats a setup like that cost? 10k? doesn't look like it could anything alse except for debris.

The little wonders, giant vac and monster loader were all considered but seeing them side by side billy goat had an advantage that fit my needs over the others.

HAHA didnt u see that was a diesel engine and they werent even challenging it? Mine has a liquid cool 27 hp kawi and it eats piles as big as my truck and trailer in no time. There were some dudes lookin at me in awe and ya know what they were usin? Billy goat dl loader. Don't even need a clear exaust because its never clogged on me.

jwsland
10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
FOR NOT EVEN CHALLENGING IT that took a while AND alot of leaves were left behind, just sayin...

jwsland
10-18-2011, 11:36 PM
I couldn't find a price online for that setup but I bet its expensive and I think most leaf loader owners would agree that video wasn't really impressive. For around 3k you could own a loader of the 3 mentioned brands that will handle just about any common leaf job without the purchase of a dual axle trailer which requires extra costs for reg and inps since it most likely needs a high weight reg, has electric brakes and will need tires + basic trailer maintinence.

bonzo1012
10-18-2011, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=jwsland;4190744]FOR NOT EVEN CHALLENGING IT that took a while AND alot of leaves were left behind, just sayin...[/

blame it on the truck driver, he should have been driving at a steady pace instead of pausing. I deliver hand signals when im loading, slow down(palm down), speed up(palm up), keep the pace(thumb up), and stop(fist). He def didnt have it at full throttle either. Gotta use a rake for those stragglers.

Aaronnc
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
fradan......

+1

But out of your stated choices, I'd say Giant Vac.

SITEWORKS
10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
I have a giant vac, 16 hp b&s, very good condition, runs well and ready to work. Hitch mounted with optional swing away. Has discharge chute and intake hose. $2650/cash.
Manassas, VA. If interested, save yourself a couple thousand dollars, good used equipment is much better than brand new equipment. Bill 571-259-1000

wahlturfcare
11-01-2011, 02:35 PM
i have 3 billy goat ones and love them. 2 of them are the 11hp ones and the other is a 20hp one and i think the 11hp ones work alot better.
The only problems i've had is the hoses ripping or their kill switch on the intake flap that i removed right away.

DieselHolic
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
FOR NOT EVEN CHALLENGING IT that took a while AND alot of leaves were left behind, just sayin...

it has a 31 horse diesel, torque is easily double, of what your gas billy goat has the cfm on those xtreme vac's is second to none.

SpudsM15
02-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Here's my 80HP beast for sale!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=417280