PDA

View Full Version : Dilemmas

magicmike
10-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Ok for those of you who haven't read my previous threads heres my story, i am a vet who is currently in the Army I am getting out in Jan :us flag: (thank god) and will in the next few years be taking over my dads landscaping business, but heres the problem, I don't like the name of the business even though it is T&M Landscaping (even though it is my sisters and my first initials, I don't think it is professional enough. How do i get him to agree to a name change, without offending him? If anyone has any good "professional", oringinal business names that would help too :)

ed2hess
10-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Don't waste time on something so unimportant....leave it.

TheOctagon
10-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Don't waste time on something so unimportant....leave it.

agreed. By the time you go through all of the effort you wont even care anymore.

bel-nor
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
MM he will be offended....and you would be also. Your taking over a business that he wants to remember, brag about and make reference to when he offers guidance to new business'.

I spent many years in the offset printing industry and operated a solo shop out of the home that taught me one thing...the name has to be dressed up. With that being said you can make changes without hurting his feeling begin now on working on a new logo. There many commercial artist, graphic artist and art students attending your local colleges that would love this challenge for little to no money. Have your DAD help in selecting and guiding in this project if you decide to go this route.

My DAD (deceased 1974/Korean vet) and friends had a social club in the 1960s that pulled major entertainment names to the St. Louis area. They worked their butts off to make it work and it did, however they had to get a license to merely have meetings to plan shows... the name Progressive Nine it took me a year to figure out who were members, living members and the purpose of the license. Bottom line sometimes we overwrite our own history. Start changes slowly and respectfully. Good luck!

mowerbrad
10-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't see what's so "unprofessional" about the name. Some extremely successful businessmen have used some form of their name or initials in their company name. I would just keep the name.

The fact that it has a rather deep meaning (I'm sure) to your father, it will be tough on him to see you change the name.

Some of the larger landscape companies in my area use their name or initials in their company name. The are extremely professional and rather large companies.

magicmike
10-14-2011, 10:44 PM
thanks everyone for the replies, it probably will take to much time keeping the name would probably be best. I could invest that time into other things.

JimLewis
10-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't think the name is bad. It's professional enough. Nothing really wrong with that name, I don't think.

But there are two things to consider about changing the name.

1) Is it a fairly big, well-established company? If it's a company with like 20-40 employees, and already well known throughout your entire area then you definitely need to keep the name. In that case, he's already built up a reputation and as long as it's a good reputation, you can't risk losing that. That can be invaluable.

On the other hand, if it's a small company with just your Dad and a few helpers, probably wouldn't be that big of a deal to change the name at this point.

Point is; at some point, you reach the point where it's really too late to change the company name. One of the top 5 biggest landscaping companies in the nation, Gothic Landscape, which started in California - has wanted to change their name several times over the years. The owners named it after the street they grew up on or something like that. Terrible name. Even they agree. But the problem is, they got so big and so well known that business advisers told them they had too much "brand name recognition" to even think about changing now. Essentially, they were too late. Which brings me to my next point.....

2) It depends a little on what your LONG TERM goals are with your company. If you're super ambitious and have intentions to grow your company into a really big company one day with say 50, 100, or more employees. Something you could sell for a fortune one day. If that's your goal, then changing the name to something more corporate may be a little bit of an advantage. Because if I'm a big investor and I want to come in and buy a big company like that, I'm more apt to buy a company called something like "TruGreen" or "ProGrass" or "Lawn Doctor", etc. than I am to buy a company called "T&M Landscaping" or "Lewis Landscape Services", etc.

Unfortunately, it's almost too late for me too. We've grown to the point where we are very well known in the area. 28 employees. 14 trucks. Well known website. It's almost too late for me to change the name, even though I'd like to. Because it is one of my goals to build my business really big and one day possibly sell it. But unfortunately, I didn't do that when we were smaller. And it wouldn't be smart to change our name now.

So there are some additional things to think about....

StihlMechanic
10-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes change it to "we mows your grass INC."

jk, your name sounds as professional as one would expect. Most guys around me dont even have an assumed name or DBA.

The best thing I ever did was pick my name. Its already become known. I am asked all the time if its a corporation or franchise. Not yet anyway I tell them.

DavidD
10-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Change it to "We Mow and Blow You" JK lol

tlc1994
10-16-2011, 02:20 AM
As long as it doesn`t sound like anyone/thing else, then you`re on the right track. Do you have a motto or slogan? Something catchy may bring it all together.
Posted via Mobile Device

whosedog
10-16-2011, 10:21 AM
In my town of Fair lawn NJ, T@M is the name of the biggest asphalt and concrete contractor around.He's very successful and usually has 2-3 crews,with 25 + employees, running at the same time;you see his signs posted by his job sites everywhere you go.Do what the others suggest,keep the name and change the design.