PDA

View Full Version : Best equipment for towing aerator?

rdharris
10-14-2011, 08:26 PM
What are you guys using for aerations of 1-2 acre properties? Im thinking a subcompact tractor with 3 point aerator or tow behind?

How tight of a turn are you able to make while aerating with a 3 point hookup?

What are some good options for pulling a tow behind unit?? I don't think my exmark is really built for this application.

Thanks, Dale

americanlawn
10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Ryan pull behinds (48"/36" effective) are great cuz you can turn without ripping up turf. Required hp = 20 or more. 3-point Ryans suck. Better off using a tow-behind w/hydraulic lift.
We use JD 445's. You should be able to buy them cheap. Ours are 1995 models. Ebay or craigslist.

jsslawncare
10-17-2011, 08:22 PM
I use a Rryan Walk behind and a core plug 48" pull behind with my 4 wheeler, works great. I can cover 2-3 acre's pertty quick with the Honda.

Darryl G
10-17-2011, 08:39 PM
The rental yard in my town has a 48 inch Classen that can be set up for either towing or 3 point use. I have used it both ways: 1) on the 3 point hitch of my JD 855 - it's classified as a compact, not a subcompact- and 2) behind my Lazer Z HP. Overall I like towing it with the Lazer better. The Rops on the JD is pretty tall and doesn't fold, it's a lot to haul around and customers get a little freaked out that I'm running it on their lawn....aerating a lawn because it's compacted with a 2 ton tractor...ok maybe not that heavy, but you get the idea. The nice part is being able to lift it up to cross pavement or reverse. I can't really turn the tractor so hard that the aerator will rip things up in turns. The only problem with the Lazer is having to get up and raise the unit manually to cross pavement or go backwards...that unit will rip things up if you go in reverse...an electric lift would be sweet. Just my experience...I don't aerate a whole heck of a lot.

rdharris
10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I use a Rryan Walk behind and a core plug 48" pull behind with my 4 wheeler, works great. I can cover 2-3 acre's pertty quick with the Honda.

Which Honda (recon rancher foreman?) I have had a Foreman in the past but the solid rear axle did a number on the turf making sharp turns. Id love to use a smaller recon just not sure if they have enough weight and power to tug around a 4-5 hundred pound aerator.

jsslawncare
10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Which Honda (recon rancher foreman?) I have had a Foreman in the past but the solid rear axle did a number on the turf making sharp turns. Id love to use a smaller recon just not sure if they have enough weight and power to tug around a 4-5 hundred pound aerator.

Older fourtrax's works great, just work it in a square.

grassman177
10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
tractors are great, but you have to know how to operate one to make sure you dont tear the turf too much. easy to do for sure.