PDA

View Full Version : mulch removal

944own
10-14-2011, 10:44 PM
How do you guys charge for removing old mulch.

JimLewis
10-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, first of all, I wouldn't normally haul away mulch. Around here, it just degrades over time and you just cover it up with new mulch.

But if we were to haul anything away - including mulch - we charge $20 per yard for disposal costs and $70/man hour to haul it away. But we're a little pricy. I think that's probably a lot more than most companies would charge.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
10-15-2011, 04:34 PM
i would charge $25.00 for round trip gas in the truck to and from dump site(all depends how far you are from there), then roughly $60/ man hr and estimate how long i think it will take me to remove, haul and dump. basically for me it is like installing mulch but just in reverse order

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
10-15-2011, 04:36 PM
^ oh and depending on how much mulch i would also charge the fee the dump would charge me

JimLewis
10-15-2011, 05:32 PM
^ oh and depending on how much mulch i would also charge the fee the dump would charge me

No, man! Always mark that kind of stuff up. Mark up is an essential part of any business. You think the place where you buy mowers sells them at their cost? Heck no! You think the place you purchase mulch from is charging you just what they paid for the mulch! Heck no! They marked that stuff up! You think when you take your truck to the Chevrolet mechanic they just charge you for labor only plus the exact cost of the new alternator and brake pads? Heck no! They marked that alternator up and the brake pads too!

We pay around $12 per yard to dump it off. But we'll charge $20. For years, we were paying closer to $10 and charging $15. But last year it went up and this year I found we could easily get away with charging $20 a yard to dispose of stuff. Our clients didn't even think twice about paying that rate.

You should always mark up every product you sell and every expense like this too. At least 10-20% minimum. That's how you make money, son! We are in this to make money, aren't we? payup Thumbs Up

4 seasons lawn&land
10-15-2011, 05:55 PM
FYI powerbroom kicks azz for stripping mulch off beds!