PDA

View Full Version : Do full-time firefighters make ideal part time "on demand" employees....?

Exact Rototilling
10-15-2011, 02:53 PM
....when you don't have enough work for a full time employee....?

To get hired as a firefighter is very competitive
Typically already make good money with benefits....less likely to get irked if you don't have enough consistent work for them....?
already passed a background check
tend to be more professional in appearance, less likely to be smokers with fewer visible tattoos

The down side is if they just came off a busy 24 hour shift or traded shifts and just came off 48 hours of heavy calls.....they will show up to work beat tired and more accident prone.

I was once a volunteer ff/emt myself and know the drill.

Input ...thoughts?

Exact Rototilling
10-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Okay ...a bit of background. Full-time ft/emt's typically work 24 hours on then 48 to 72 hours off. A few districts have even more off time off such as 5 days off in a row twice a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
10-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I would think the only reason a professional firefighter would work part-time for a LCO is to gain experience so they could start their own business and make 5x as much.

nepatsfan
10-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Look for young retirees....like mid to late 50's that are in good shape and dont mind working. I have one that runs a crew for me. Works harder than the youngsters...no joke and he could give a crap if he works 50 hours or 15. First guy at the shop...usually the last to leave. Might be the exception and if you are looking for solely grunt work....probably not a great fit, but I doubt a firefighter is either. Funny story, last year I called him about 3:30 in the morning to go to a parking lot we do to plow. When he answered the phone the radio was blaring and turned right down. I was like wtf...(to myself) anways...head over and start I tell him. He answers what time? I was like now! He says, I'm already here I will be on the clock starting at 4. I couldn't sleep and I saw it already started snowing so I just came over and got started...

You dont find many guys like this.....trust me, but I have had 2 and similar results. Reliablity is the biggest thing. Never miss a day and always ready to go. You dont need em....thats fine too.

FerrisDiesel
10-16-2011, 12:27 AM
As a fulltime firefighter myself, I stopped working for my former employer when I got hired here. The overtime is just so crazy now, I can't turn down time and a half to work 8 hours cutting lawns. Also, if the dept can't get guys to cover shifts, I get ordered to stay, so it was kinda rough calling my boss at 0700 and telling him I couldn't come in because I was stuck at work. It happened so many times that I felt bad and had to cut ties with him. So now I cut my own lawns, get them done in a day, and hope I don't get stuck at work, or catch a rain day lol

hosejockey2002
10-19-2011, 12:49 AM
As a fulltime firefighter myself I'll chime in. If you hire a firefighter he (or she) will almost without fail be smart, highly motivated and hard working, and probably be able to drive a truck and trailer without wrecking it. There is also a real chance that they may be working for you in order to gain experience in the field, and there is also the chance that they may back out on a day working if they are offered overtime. My advice would be to speak candidly when you interview a prospective part time employee, and ask about some of these issues.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-19-2011, 01:55 AM
I hired one and it was a pain reason he be on call We was doing a install of sod and they was calling rain he had take off to fight a fire and put us behind We had lay sod in rain
So never again will hire one

figaroo
11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Its not the being the firefighter thats the problem, Its his work that is the problem. They may require him to come back on a lot of calls other than being on duty. I'm a firefighter, and I work 24/48 and get the guys that are on my shift to help me all the time and it works out well.

PROCUT1
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Just go into it understanding that his primary job will always come first and there is no way that he will be able to be 100% dependable.

Dont book work that depends on him being there. Like others said, at the last second if the new shift is a man short he can be ordered to stay. Or if he is offered overtime it will surely be a heck of a lot more than he will make working for you so he will take that.

RHR101
11-18-2011, 07:26 PM
As previously stated their FF job would always come first and that can make them unreliable at times especially when ordered overtime. When at work though will probably be one of your most prideful, motivated and proactive workers. This is a generalization and may not apply 100% of the time but more often than not. Most enjoy working with their hands and often have some other skills that can come in handy.

One thing you have to consider though is that without offering steady work from your end it may be hard to expect people be available whenever you need them. Most part-time "as needed" employees come with some issues.

Full time FF's are very good when you get them too work, but those days when you really need them and they can't be there can be a real pain.

pfcjs
11-18-2011, 09:10 PM
As stated before just get some clarification to some questions and they will be one of your best employees. An important question is ask what his overtime situation is at his department. Ask if his department has mandatory overtime which would require him to get stuck some days and not be able to leave the fire house. Also ask what the overtime situation is, if there is a chance to pick up a lot of OT and how much he does normally work. We don't have a mandatory OT policy so our guys can't technically get stuck at the firehouse and we also have some guys that hardly ever work OT. So get those questions answered and you should have a good understanding.