PDA

View Full Version : broken window questions

lawnguy1234
10-16-2011, 01:49 AM
I Have broken a few windows and always just cut a check or was told not to worry about it. Well this time we broke a front picture window for a one time mowing job. window is about 6 by 6. Quote A was $690 quote B was $550( cheaper then I thought it would be). I have insurance but I have a 1000 deductible to keep it cheap. Obviously I am going to try to pay out of pocket but these people are being a pain in the a. I get the feeling they may demand I go through my insurance. Can they do that? Also in the last email they wrote that they will have to take the day off work for them to install the window at their house and they want to know what information my insurance company will need for loss of wages and that they can get a letter from work. I think this is BS and I will tell them I am not paying for that, what I want to know from you guys is would an insurance company pay for that and if not what would you say to them? Also they want the bed under the window stripped of mulch and glass from the window as it shattered/crumbled and re mulched by a landscaper. I will offer to do this for them as we do mulching and landscaping but is this something I am even required to do and would an insurance company pay for that too? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

StihlMechanic
10-16-2011, 02:07 AM
They are milking the situation. Turn it over to your insurance and let them haggle with them, they are used to this BS. $1000 is a lot of money but will make this go away.

tlc1994
10-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Seems like stingy people that are just PITAs that can`t understand that accidents happen, and I wouldn`t want them as a customer - but that`s for you to decide...

Anyway, while I`m only assuming that they could go after your insurance (in which they`ll have quite the hassle), I don`t know the legalities of your insurance claims or state law, but I wouldn`t worry too much if you`re only "getting the feeling" that they want you to go through insurance. If I were the customer, hearing "my insurance deductable is higher than the claim but I would be more than willing to cover all damages with cash immediately,..." would sound fine to me. If you think this account is worth anything, throw in some extra stuff just to quiet them down. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
10-16-2011, 02:32 AM
they sound like dairy farmers , scummy ones at that .Good Luck !

easy-lift guy
10-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Get the window replaced ASAP and do not rely on your Insurance company to handle this matter due to the deductible. Regarding loss wages for having to take a day off for installing said window, contact your attorney for and opinion. The law may vary from state to state regarding this "Claimed Loss". by your customers.
easy-lift guy

nepatsfan
10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
This is why you should have insurance. I am not buying that you even have it or else you would talk to your agent about your options. If you really do have it you should have already discussed it with them even if you arent making a claim.

MOturkey
10-16-2011, 09:30 AM
This is a perfect example of situations arising on a one-time mow. Any customer can be unreasonable, but I've found that someone you have a long term relationship with is generally easier to deal with.

That aside, it appears to me these people are trying to get something for nothing, not all that uncommon in situations like this. First of all, did you explain to them that your insurance deductible is $1,000? If they realize that is all coming out of your pocket, they might back off a little.

Also, I'm no attorney, but common sense tells me that under the law, all you are required to do is restore things to original condition, and remulching the beds and replacing the window will do that. As for the lost wages thing, why not talk to the guy you got a bid from, tell him the situation, and see if perhaps he's willing to schedule installation when they are home, like in the evening or on a Saturday? When you say "they", I'm assuming that means a couple, so they both sure don't need to be there to watch someone install a window, probably a 30 minute job.

If all that fails, I'd simply contact my insurance company, and tell the customer that you are turning it over to them, as they are being unreasonable in their demands. It may cost you the entire $1,000 deductible, but at least you won't have to deal with the a-holes anymore.

cutbetterthanyou
10-16-2011, 09:38 AM
If someone talked to me like that I would tell them" Screw you i'll see you in court. I have money and insurance, but acting like a a$$ gets nowhere with me." But, then again I don't really take on jerks for customers.

SouthSide Cutter
10-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Knock on wood but havent ever broke a window. Problem is you broke it. Now put the shoe on your foot. You have to take off so they can install it at your house what would you do. Big problem is I went thru this 25 years ago. Guy drove thru my kitchen. Problems were. Windows wouldnt match, brick wouldnt match, cabinets that got smashed, floor etc. And they told me this the insurance company (his). I told them I had replacement insurance and I didnt care what it cost it matched before you hit it and it will match after its fixed. My insurance back then State Farm told me to get it fixed right they would pay the bill and go after him.

White Gardens
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd get a lower deductible.

chesterlawn
10-16-2011, 10:50 AM
One time mowing job, are you sure you broke it and it's not a set up?

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
10-16-2011, 06:39 PM
i have never broken anything ever...knock on wood but if i were you i would call my insurance. my deductable is 500 for collision on the truck etc. and in a case of injuring someone or my stuff being stolen but for other incidents its 250. yours may be less than 1000 for this sort of incident, again not sure so call your insurance. next i would lower my deductable because 1000 is way to high and i originally was going to have mine at 1000 until i realized it only saves me 50 bucks or so for the year. these ppl sound like a huge PITA, the window guy should be able to do the window at a time when their home...like a 30 min job. we get in car accidents and don't get wage coverage for our time spent at rental company etc. now the glass in the mulch F%$k them...you can go through and easily get the glass out of the beds for the customer but there is no reason to remulch the entire beds. if this were a long time customer and not just a one time PITA things would be a little different but anyways good luck!

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
I would have to agree with the masses on this one. Try to reason with them and if that doesn't work turn it over to your insurance co. Good luck and don't worry it will work out!
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
10-17-2011, 12:40 AM
How did you break it? Was the chute down on your mower, was junk left in the lawn hidden under the grass? I'd be tempted to tell them it was their fault if you were doing everything right and it was stuff hid in the grass. Otherwise bite the bullet or turn it over to insurance.

GreenGiant94
10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I would probably think about turning it over to the insurance also. MJB raises a good point though. Did they leave something in the yard? I had a scare last week I think it was. I heard a little noise, on the next pass looked up and the window was cracked. I though i did it but luckily when i told the owners wife who was home, she said she had done that string trimming. Guess the noise I heard was something else or in my head. This was a first time mow and is one that i might get a call every once in a while. I hope it turns out ok.

hammmerhead
10-17-2011, 06:19 PM
In most instances you want to pay out of pocket for small repairs and things like this to keep your premium somewhat constant and at a reasonable rate. If you were ever canceled for any reason and had a claim or two on your clue report, your INS. premium could double easily.

These folks obviously know there stuff when it comes to claims and my have been burned in the past by not filing one. In this case, I would give them the nice "I want to pay myself " approach, which I think you have already tried. If that failed, I would give them the phone number to my INS Agent and be done with it. There is no sense in exausting your time and energy trying to please people that cant be pleased.....and we all know there are tons of them out there.

Let the adjuster deal with them, its all they do, all day every day. He will play hardball with them on hidden material left in the yard as well as many other aspects of having your personal lawn serviced.

tyler_mott85
10-17-2011, 06:43 PM
We need more details on the circumstances of the actual breakage. If you hit something in the lawn and you have all shields on your equipment you can get out of it fully. You're not responsible for hidden debris in the lawn.

I was edging at a Sonic several years ago and a few rocks went up and chipped a lady's paint that was grubbing her fat little cheeks on a coney and she wanted the whole side of her car repainted. But since we had Edgit disks on our trimmers our insurance company told her we can't be held accountable for objects hidden in the grass and we didn't have to pay a thing. Having guards on is what saves you.

Even if you had your guards off but the grass was extraordinarily tall you may be able to get out of it too.

Just remember...even if you turn it over to your insurance it doesn't mean you have to pay. They have lawyers too....

Good Luck!

Darryl G
10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I just wanted to suggest having it repaired on a Saturday to avoid the lost wages issue. Most glass companies that I know of are open Saturday. I would think that cleaning up the glass would be your responsibility too. I would call my insurance company. Just because you call doesn't mean you have to file the claim. I have had numerous small incidents for which I called my insurance company to confer with them but didn't file a claim. It won't affect your rate unless you actually claim it.

BPS##
10-17-2011, 07:46 PM
We need more details on the circumstances of the actual breakage. If you hit something in the lawn and you have all shields on your equipment you can get out of it fully. You're not responsible for hidden debris in the lawn.

I was edging at a Sonic several years ago and a few rocks went up and chipped a lady's paint that was grubbing her fat little cheeks on a coney and she wanted the whole side of her car repainted. But since we had Edgit disks on our trimmers our insurance company told her we can't be held accountable for objects hidden in the grass and we didn't have to pay a thing. Having guards on is what saves you.

Even if you had your guards off but the grass was extraordinarily tall you may be able to get out of it too.

Just remember...even if you turn it over to your insurance it doesn't mean you have to pay. They have lawyers too....

Good Luck!

The edgit concept interests me.

How ever I'm far from impressed with their website.
They show NO photos of the under side of the operation.
$60 plus shipping is a lot to pay for some thing that you don't know if it'll work.
The disc looks pretty small in comparison to the length of string I normally run.

MJB
10-17-2011, 09:14 PM

$60 plus shipping is a lot to pay for some thing that you don't know if it'll work.
The disc looks pretty small in comparison to the length of string I normally run.

Not everyone likes them but I do. I've got 15 yrs of using edgits on every trimmer. They work best with echo trimmers because they mount on easily, and don't wear out as fast. It also allows you to let out more strings and serves as a guide for the string. I think they are 12 or 14 inches , theybwork best with 2 to 4 inches of string beyond the edge of the disk.

larryinalabama
10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I say you did all you can do. Forget about it and when you get sued in small calms court.... counter sue for the damage to your mower for debris left in the yard that was not possible to see, broken blade broken spindle belt burned up deck relignment tire damage.

Its also argueable that you dont have anyidea that any window was ever broken. Mabey some local kid shot a bebe who knows. You wear hearing protection right?

You tried to to do the right thing and they dont want it so screw them

lawnguy1234
10-17-2011, 09:34 PM
The lawn was extremely tall, I would guess at least 12 inches tall maybe more in areas when I was talking to them after we completed the work they mentioned it had not been mowed in 6 to 8 weeks since the previous company walked off the job. Originally we were thinking it had a decent chance of being a regular job but someone came out once we started and I asked and they said we were only interested in every other week, I told them no way we don't offer that and you have treated and irrigated grass. We should have just walked off the job at that point with how tall it was. We did charge $75 for the one cut and it was done pretty quickly being that it was a little less then a 1/4 acre lot with a big house and we mowed at the highest setting 5in i think but still not how my business is trying to generate income. We bagged the grass, we think it was the string trimmer hit a rock along the driveway and shot it into the window although we will never know for sure. I will be emailing them tomorrow saying we will replace the window and remove/replace the mulch under it but we will not be paying anything for their time off from work. I do have insurance and keep the deductible high because I only plan on using it for big problems. Writing a check for small problems like this every once in a while to keep premiums low is no big deal. This is just the first time I have ever encountered someone being difficult and trying to take advantage of the situation. Thanks for all the advice. I will post an update or two as this progresses.

BPS##
10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Not everyone likes them but I do. I've got 15 yrs of using edgits on every trimmer. They work best with echo trimmers because they mount on easily, and don't wear out as fast. It also allows you to let out more strings and serves as a guide for the string. I think they are 12 or 14 inches , theybwork best with 2 to 4 inches of string beyond the edge of the disk.

Thanks for the come back.

Can you post some better photos than their site has if you have time?

BrunoT
10-19-2011, 06:22 AM
I Have broken a few windows and always just cut a check or was told not to worry about it. Well this time we broke a front picture window for a one time mowing job. window is about 6 by 6. Quote A was $690 quote B was $550( cheaper then I thought it would be). I have insurance but I have a 1000 deductible to keep it cheap. Obviously I am going to try to pay out of pocket but these people are being a pain in the a. I get the feeling they may demand I go through my insurance. Can they do that? Also in the last email they wrote that they will have to take the day off work for them to install the window at their house and they want to know what information my insurance company will need for loss of wages and that they can get a letter from work. I think this is BS and I will tell them I am not paying for that, what I want to know from you guys is would an insurance company pay for that and if not what would you say to them? Also they want the bed under the window stripped of mulch and glass from the window as it shattered/crumbled and re mulched by a landscaper. I will offer to do this for them as we do mulching and landscaping but is this something I am even required to do and would an insurance company pay for that too? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tell them you'll cut them a check for $550 for the repair and remove the broken glass and return the mulch to its previous condition. Otherwise they can sue you. While the general assumption is that you were negligent that may not be the case and they'd have to go prove it. It's doubtful they'd win loss-of-wages unless they are self-employed and can prove the loss.

They'll take your offer if they have any sense and are legit. You do not have to involve the insurance company but by failing to notify them in a timely manner they may later deny the claim if these folks decide to puff it up. Part of the language in your policy will probably cover this.

The downside of that is that claims tend to lead to raised premiums. But if it's below your deductible and results in no payment from the insurer it may not. You have no obligation to tell them your insurer, though.

Be careful and always point trimmers and mowers away from glass. I broke one window my first week in the biz and zero since in 19 years. I learned my lesson. Always assume there is something hard headed out from your machine, even if it means you have to approach from a less efficient angle.

This is why I don't do one-time mowing jobs. You get all the risks of a new customer (scams, non-payment, finding obstacles in the grass the hard way, getting blamed for pre-existing damage to sprinklers, etc) w/o the long term payoff of a revenue stream.

BrunoT
10-19-2011, 06:33 AM

They work just fine, though I'm not sure how much added protection from throwing things they add. I agree their website and marketing could be more sophisticated. The string length will be larger than the disc if you need it to be. Just play out more and trim it to the size you need if it gets too long by hitting the edge of a curb to knock some off.

Like any new tool, it takes a little time to learn how to use it best. It trained me to be able to edge walking forward to the extent that I now don't even always put the edgit all the way to the ground when edging but can free-hand it at full speed. If you only trim with the trimmer and don't use it to edge, it's probably not worth it.

BPS##
10-19-2011, 07:23 AM
They work just fine, though I'm not sure how much added protection from throwing things they add. I agree their website and marketing could be more sophisticated. The string length will be larger than the disc if you need it to be. Just play out more and trim it to the size you need if it gets too long by hitting the edge of a curb to knock some off.

Like any new tool, it takes a little time to learn how to use it best. It trained me to be able to edge walking forward to the extent that I now don't even always put the edgit all the way to the ground when edging but can free-hand it at full speed. If you only trim with the trimmer and don't use it to edge, it's probably not worth it.

Thank you.

Pietro
10-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Just file a claim with insurance. If you pay out of pocket and 3 months later theyre not happy with the window, BAM! More headaces for you. If the high quote was $650 you know theyll want to go with that company. Theyll think more $ means a better job. So cough up the extra $350 and its off your back.

ralph02813
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM
whitegardens is right, and lower your deductible that way your insurance company will take care of the whole thing, for now I think I would get three estimates, give them to your lawyer so he can write them a with the three letters and ask them to pick.

White Gardens
10-19-2011, 12:31 PM
whitegardens is right, and lower your deductible that way your insurance company will take care of the whole thing, for now I think I would get three estimates, give them to your lawyer so he can write them a with the three letters and ask them to pick.

Exactly. Even if you pay more for your premium, you don't have the headaches of dealing with a situation like this.

To me that off-sets the cost of what you are dealing with now.