PDA

View Full Version : golf cart or gator platforms to assist with high hedge over 12ft

southfla
10-16-2011, 09:45 AM
As my commercial accounts continue to increase i am finding hedges over 12 ft are slowing down my crew.

I am tring to find pictures or suggestions on what could replace the typical ladder. does anyone have any pictures or can direct me to a website that can convert an older golf cart to a moving platform?

Thank you in advance

Florida Gardener
10-16-2011, 09:55 AM
What part of south fl you in? This is a good topic that I am interested in getting some answers for.
Posted via Mobile Device

southfla
10-16-2011, 10:27 AM
I am in the boca/boynton/delray area and the majority of the hedges are ficus and well over 12 ft tall. they are currently trimmed by ladder, but I have seen a few companies that use an old vw tucked with a scafoling(sp)
welded in the back and they drive along the sidewalk.

I was hoping to copy this with a golf cart or gator.
I was hoping someone had some pictures of there set up or give me some pro's and con's

Kelly's Landscaping
10-16-2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.armlift.com/prods_p.htm Check out the patriot its a 23 foot aerial lift that mounts to utility vehicles like the gator might be just what you need why copy some one when you can surpass them.

Az Gardener
10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
We also have a lot of hedges that size, Oleanders and Ficus. We use an aluminum scaffold on wheels. This seems to be the best balance between speed and economics.

RoyalTree
10-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Anybody try anything like this? Dont know if it would be tall enough.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=310351962924
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
10-16-2011, 12:57 PM
This look's mighty handy. http://www.armlift.com/prods_p.htm I saw the little downriggers on the toro workman. Do you think it is stable? I wonder how much one cost's?

metro36
10-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Aluminum scaffolding works well for really big jobs. It can be a pain to set up and take down though. Where I used to work we used 2 guys on these ladders with extended shaft trimmers. These ladders are great because they get you close to the hedge and are very stable.

http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/ftp.php
I have an eight foot one now but I have used the twelve footers and love them. Much easier to use than my 12' stepladder. I am going to step up a 12' tripod next year.

Florida Gardener
10-16-2011, 09:00 PM
We also have a lot of hedges that size, Oleanders and Ficus. We use an aluminum scaffold on wheels. This seems to be the best balance between speed and economics.

Az

Is the scaffold adjustable meaning can it go up to higher heights and what does it run cost wise?

knox gsl
10-16-2011, 09:18 PM
What about a camera cart, I know a guy here in Knoxville that has a bunch of these that his shop built. They go up to about 10' and are built on a chassis about the size of a golf cart. He uses them for football games and some nascar races but they could be stripped down of the camera wiring to be a trimming platform.

Mikegyver
10-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Guys y'all work too hard! Do what one of the local crews do. Stand on the back of your Turf Tiger! Yep numero uno drives at a decent pace while numero dos stands on the engine shroud (IDK what he was standing on it looked like he was standing on it or the frame). I stand on the seat of my scag while trimming individual tall hedges. A extended hedge trimmer is a given.
Mike

RoyalTree
10-16-2011, 11:12 PM
If you are currently using a 12 foot ladder standing on a mower is not going to cut it. We send a bucket truck to cut hedges atleast a few days per month. I am always looking for the best way to do hedges, we spend way to many man hours on big ladders. I an very interested in the cart with the scissor lift or maybee a scissor lift with turf tires. Does anybody know of anything like that out there? If it could fit in a 36 gate even better.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
10-16-2011, 11:59 PM
How flat and solid is the ground, yes you can get a lift that narrow but will only drive on the best of conditions (hard floors, or concrete).
Posted via Mobile Device

Az Gardener
10-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Az

Is the scaffold adjustable meaning can it go up to higher heights and what does it run cost wise?

The scaffold has 3 sections and is very stable you have the bars every 2' you can set the platforms on. They are fixed platforms, not just the typical scaffold boards. The wheels also are on long threaded stems so they can be adjusted for slopes and other irregular bases.

The price was right for me, a former employee left them in my yard and has not come back for them :) I don't have any idea what they would cost. Best guess about 1-K maybe 1500... they are very firm and professional not like any of the junk I have seen the stucco guys and masons use.

siclmn
10-17-2011, 12:19 AM
All you need are two people with this setup

Florida Gardener
10-17-2011, 12:32 AM
The scaffold has 3 sections and is very stable you have the bars every 2' you can set the platforms on. They are fixed platforms, not just the typical scaffold boards. The wheels also are on long threaded stems so they can be adjusted for slopes and other irregular bases.

The price was right for me, a former employee left them in my yard and has not come back for them :) I don't have any idea what they would cost. Best guess about 1-K maybe 1500... they are very firm and professional not like any of the junk I have seen the stucco guys and masons use.

Cool, if you have the time and don't mind, would you take a pic?
Posted via Mobile Device

seabee003
10-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Saw this posted on the internet.

:laugh:

jsf343
10-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Saw this posted on the internet.

:laugh:

ahhhh... dang you, I just got that image and was ready to post it. hahahaha

:laugh::laugh:

Darryl G
10-23-2011, 11:00 PM
You can use an extension ladder for tall hedges. Attach a wide rigid board or piece of plywood to the top of the ladder and you can lean it against the hedge without falling into it. It's actually very stable.