PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Hedges with a Pole Saw

stickleylawncare
10-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I got a call this weekend for a bid on a property and just went out and spoke with them earlier today. Apparently, they have gone through some real "winners" in mowing companies. I was asking about basic hedges and they said not to worry, they do a lot of stuff themselves... the last guy used a pole-saw to trim their hedges and jasmine.

Worst, while they were out of town, they hired a guy to do fresh topsoil and sand etc to the yard. This guy must have just pulled up to a construction site and taken the dirt, you cant miss it all over the yard. Its almost grey in color there is so much rock and gravel in it. We start mowing for them soon, Ill have to get some pictures of it, its just terrible.

Just amazing the people out there that give us such a good name in the industry...

easy-lift guy
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Just curious if there is any thing wrong with using a pole-saw to trim a hedge with?, I use my pole-saw with a hedger attachment and it works fine for me.
easy-lift guy

stickleylawncare
10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
The owner said it was a saw on the end of a pole, no hedger trimmer attachment. He was able to stop him before he got to the second jasmine but the first one is dead nearly to the ground. It was confederate jasmine growing up a trellis, just got chewed up.

easy-lift guy
10-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Sound like a disaster, hope you make out OK with this customer.
easy-lift guy

BrunoT
10-19-2011, 05:03 AM
I got a call this weekend for a bid on a property and just went out and spoke with them earlier today. Apparently, they have gone through some real "winners" in mowing companies. I was asking about basic hedges and they said not to worry, they do a lot of stuff themselves... the last guy used a pole-saw to trim their hedges and jasmine.

Worst, while they were out of town, they hired a guy to do fresh topsoil and sand etc to the yard. This guy must have just pulled up to a construction site and taken the dirt, you cant miss it all over the yard. Its almost grey in color there is so much rock and gravel in it. We start mowing for them soon, Ill have to get some pictures of it, its just terrible.

Just amazing the people out there that give us such a good name in the industry...

And people wonder why I give sarcastic answers to members with 3 posts asking "how do I XXXX?" because they've never worked for someone else to learn how to do it first. They can make us all look bad with their "on the job training" goof-ups.

Example: A mowing only customer had some "landscapers" come in and redo some beds and lawn areas and install edging. In their wisdom they decided to sow Fescue seed in a small area of shade (that will never grow grass once leaves are back on the trees above it) which means that now they have to pay me to come out about 6 more times a year to mow the grass that keeps growing when their Bermuda lawn has already gone dormant. The edging also was iffy and they didn't bother to put it in on the slope, where it was needed most. They also tossed about 10 pieces of Bermuda sod down in a bare spot from some construction they had done. But the spot is in deep shade under a deck. It's not graded to the rest of the lawn, just tossed on top, and already most of it is dead. They also managed to install new red mulch without edging or even raking it back from the lawn so that it just flows over into the grass, making it impossible to edge the grass w/o it flying everywhere. On another lawn they "patched" a lawn with Bermuda sod. Nicely done. Only problem is it was a ZOYSIA lawn! Looks terrible as it grows at twice the rate of the Zoysia.