PDA

View Full Version : BOP Quickie 32 front blowout fixed

fatboynormmie
10-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Decided to build an extension flap for the leading edge of the deck to help out with the blowout on my machine.Wanted it adjustable from stock height down to 1/2 " off the ground.Contoured the steel to fit around the deck drilled holes and used the plasma cutter to elongate slots.Used 3/8" carriage bolts to secure (smooth heads)as not to impede on grass discharge.Set the unit up in a middle position and tested and it works A W E S O M E.I did have to come back an notch the corner off by the discharge opening as it did drag on the ground an a hilly area though.Virtually no blowout on the middle position.The sparse leaves that were on the ground were not blown away as I rolled up on them like it normally would have sans the flap.After rolling over them they were vaporized.Will do some further testing and report back.

fatboynormmie
10-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Here are some more pics of the finished product.

Exact Rototilling
10-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Sweet ....I see a long list of aftermarket accessories that one can do for BOP mowers. $

A few years back someone rigged up one from mud flap material.

Mulch kickers would be great....look out toro Turbo force :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

fatboynormmie
10-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Was originally going to run a rubber flap, had it cut out and everything but there wasn't enough room for the rubber and a metal backing strip to mount on the front side of the deck.There would have been contact with the front tires.So I switched and found a piece of 3/16" steel plate and used that instead.

flatlander42
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Looks like you also modified the brace/deal from caster to caster.......added weight?

Exact Rototilling
10-17-2011, 12:13 PM
What is the color # and brand on that paint? Looks like a very close match. I need to do some touch up?

fatboynormmie
10-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Flatlander that is my weight kit .I did modify it yesterday as well added a handle and painted it to match. ER the paint is from BOP.I was using 10 pound barbell weights but they stuck out to far so I made this new flatbar setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
There's nothing new about this. Check out this post from just over 10 years ago.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=177745&postcount=3

fatboynormmie
10-17-2011, 05:50 PM
There's nothing new about this. Check out this post from just over 10 years ago.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=177745&postcount=3

Thanks Richard appreciate the post!!!!

To clarify with everyone I did not invent the adjustable front baffle(apparently Richard did 10 yrs ago).What I did invent was an adjustable metal baffle that fits my machine which happens to be a Quickie 32 from BOP.I have NEVER seen one posted on this forum as well as any other forum .I posted the pics so that someone else could copy it if they like. I like helping out other BOP owners to make their machines more productive. I get alot of good info from this forum that makes me more productive and for that I pass on my knowledge as a thank you to everyone that has helped me through the years.

Richard if I owe you any $ for patent infringement let me know and I'll lawyer up.If not then please keep any snarky remarks to yourself as the previous post you submitted was pointless.

There's a good saying that I want anyone reading this to take heed.You were born with 2 ears and 1 mouth so you should do twice the listening and half the speaking.

Darryl G
10-17-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd be concerned about running something that low to the ground...cruising along and catch a rock...bend the hell out of the deck or dislodge it an run it through the blades. I think I would have figured out a way to attach the rubber.

See post #7
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362375&highlight=blowout

fatboynormmie
10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I'd be concerned about running something that low to the ground...cruising along and catch a rock...bend the hell out of the deck or dislodge it an run it through the blades. I think I would have figured out a way to attach the rubber.

See post #7
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362375&highlight=blowout

Will get a measurement from ground to lip as the pic taken at an angle makes it look like it's on the ground.My guess is 1"-1 1/4" from ground.The steel I used is way thicker then the Bop deck and with the curves and angles welded into the deck really don't see much of an issue there.Not saying flying over the handles bars isn't an issue when clipping a tree root, been there and done that:laugh: I will never run it at it's lowest setting .I am going to start raising it up from the middle position it's at now and see where the point of blowout begins and run it just below that point.My main use for this contraption is for leaf mulching.90% of the time I side discharge and it will in the all the way up position which is level with the stock deck.

fatboynormmie
10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Just measured floor to lip height and I have 1 1/4" of clearance .Thats with the mower set up to cut at 3" .Raising the mower up with caster spacers will change the height that's why I made it adjustable.BTW don't assume that using rubber would be alot safer .The rubber I would have used if I had clearance is very stiff especially with the deck backing it.I have a striper ( same rubber strip) mounted on my 152z deck bottom that drags the ground .When I back up the deck lifts off the ground until the rubber deflects in the opposite direction .That deck is heavy and have been running the same rubber for 2 years with barely any wear .

fatboynormmie
10-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Here is a better straight on pic with 1 1/4" clearance.The flap is sticking down 1 3/8 " below the original deck.Actually you can see the rubber strip I cut out laying on the ground behind the mower.

Darryl G
10-17-2011, 07:46 PM
OK, I just can't imagine running something rigid that low but it's pretty rocky here. I also have a lot of properties with other obstacles I'd hit at 1.25 inches...property monuments (concrete and iron pins), stumps, roots, water shutoffs and just plain uneven grades. I have a hard enough time not hitting things at 3 inches, lol.

Richard Martin
10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Richard if I owe you any $ for patent infringement let me know and I'll lawyer up.If not then please keep any snaky remarks to yourself as the previous post you submitted was pointless.

I wasn't trying to be snaky there fat boy, just letting you know it's been done before. And there is a fundamental deficiency with your design. You see what it is as soon as the leaves start to fall.

Darryl G
10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I wasn't trying to be snaky there fat boy, just letting you know it's been done before. And there is a fundamental deficiency with your design. You see what it is as soon as the leaves start to fall.

You mean what he really made was a leaf plow? :laugh:

fatboynormmie
10-17-2011, 08:27 PM
You mean what he really made was a leaf plow? :laugh:

If the leaves are thick and at that clearance It will be a leaf plow .My custs are cleaned up weekly and aren't usually a foot thick .But the flap being adjustable up to stock height I can change on the fly for my needs.I just built this thing yesterday and put the flap in the middle just to see how it would do.I cut 1/2 my property with the chute blocker down in the middle position on the flap while cutting grass and some leaves and got good results with virtually zero blowout.Am I done my testing, not even close. I do know with the deck in stock trim as I came up on any leaves on the ground the air coming out of the front of the deck ALWAYS pushed the leaves away before I could run over them. I tried using the mower for cleanups last year and it was pointless.From what I have seen with my own eyes I feel this mower will be productive this cleanup season because of the extra flap .Time will tell and I will report my findings good or bad.

Richard maybe I took your post out of context, it seemed snarky when I read it.It read like I was taking credit for inventing the wheel.And that was never my intention.Thats the problem with reading type as it's open to interpretation.

Darryl G
10-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Richard maybe I took your post out of context, it seemed snarky when I read it.It read like I was taking credit for inventing the wheel.And that was never my intention.Thats the problem with reading type as it's open to interpretation.

Richard always comes across that way, don't take it personally. :laugh:

And I know what you mean about blowout, I mostly just get it out of the right front corner on my machines (Exmarks). I applaud you for trying to solve the problem, even if it seems like I'm shooting down your idea. That it is adjustable is the key for sure.

Turf Tracer
10-17-2011, 09:05 PM
yea, i did the same thing on my Tracer eXcept i used Thick Rubber so the leaves could get under the deck.