PDA

View Full Version : The latest verizon droid update

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
So I ran the latest andy roid update and what a ds redo. They totally screwed up the ability to add phone numbers to different groups using the phone. The guy at the verizon store said I need to go online to reorganize or edit my contact groups. All I can do is load it into my main contact list which has like 200+ numbers in it.

Any other gripes about the droid update? Anybody happy with it?

stebs
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
My biggest issue with the android software (I have a droid), is that there is a bug in it that causes the phone to just delete all of the text messages. I've had mine for a little over a year and just had this happen to me a couple weeks ago. Lost 4k to 5k text messages that i can never get back.... Come March.... Hello iPhone...

GreenI.A.
10-17-2011, 04:37 PM
i have the android Cassio Commando. since the last update a week or two ago my phone has been freezing up constantly.

Mike Leary
10-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Most of you know I'm pretty much out of the business after thirty years in the trenches.
My question is, do these android-type gizmos improve productivity and make more profit,
or waste a lot of time (& money) dinking around with them in the field, and why?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-17-2011, 05:32 PM
My biggest issue with the android software (I have a droid), is that there is a bug in it that causes the phone to just delete all of the text messages. I've had mine for a little over a year and just had this happen to me a couple weeks ago. Lost 4k to 5k text messages that i can never get back.... Come March.... Hello iPhone...

ditto.....my contract is up in March as well

GreenI.A.
10-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Most of you know I'm pretty much out of the business after thirty years in the trenches.
My question is, do these android-type gizmos improve productivity and make more profit,
or waste a lot of time (& money) dinking around with them in the field, and why?

I keep a laptop with internet access in the truck so I don't use mine to much, while working. It did come in real handy a few weeks ago when I was doing a service call on a controller I had never encountered before. After a little searching I was able to download a pdf of the manual.

bcg
10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
I didn't really care for it at first but I got used to it after a few weeks. I still like my Droid better than the iPhone, but that's mostly because I was so mistreated by the Apple folks that I've vowed to never buy another Apple product again as long as I live. I was really disappointed when Apple bought Nintendo, we're going to have to become a PS3 or Xbox family now.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
I didn't really care for it at first but I got used to it after a few weeks. I still like my Droid better than the iPhone, but that's mostly because I was so mistreated by the Apple folks that I've vowed to never buy another Apple product again as long as I live. I was really disappointed when Apple bought Nintendo, we're going to have to become a PS3 or Xbox family now.

Apple didn't buy Nintendo.....

mitchgo
10-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Smart phones , while they piss me off. Are extremely beneficial in todays age
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
10-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Smart phones , while they piss me off. Are extremely beneficial in todays age
Posted via Mobile Device

Why? So you could send me a message via the SP?

BrandonV
10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Apple didn't buy NIN. I personally wouldn't mess with the droid. Why would you when the iPhone is easier, more reliable, more secure and works.

irrig8r
10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I am very happy with my Droid X. Only issue I had was a sturdy after-market case blocking the proximity sensor.

Also found out it doesn't like to sit on the dashboard when it's warm out and then goes into cool down mode.

I've had it a couple of months. No issues with text messages going away. (I tend to write anything I want to save, like to and from customers or vendor in emails anyway and delete all old texts once/ week.)

Running Android 2.3.3 and Verizon system version 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.US

The 2.3 upgrade was a nice change from the 2.2 that came with it just a couple of months ago. More intuitive.

My g/f just ditched her Blackberry Storm for the iPhone 4S. Anyone see the news footage of The Woz at the Los Gatos Apple store on CNN? My g/f's daughter works there and was in the background in a couple of shots. They had something like 90 employees rotating throughout the day of release at that store. She worked a 12 hr. day.

Apple puts out some nice products, but the collective followers have the feel of a cult to me.

irrig8r
10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Apple didn't buy NIN. I personally wouldn't mess with the droid. Why would you when the iPhone is easier, more reliable, more secure and works.

I think your conclusions are faulty.

irrig8r
10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
BTW Peter, just checked for updates and it says there are none, so you probably have the same OS and system versions I do? So, what are your problems?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-17-2011, 07:38 PM
I divide my phone contacts between customers friends contractors etc. I used to be able to add to each one with a simple edit. Now after I add a contact to the main list I can't move it to its proper group without going on line.
Posted via Mobile Device

mitchgo
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Why? So you could send me a message via the SP?

Well. It's not just for leisure. I use my phone constantly for real time information via the internet and apps. If I ever have a question about anything I can look it up right then . I love it. If you're resourseful its extremely useful
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
10-17-2011, 08:10 PM
I can create groups on my phone, but it's funny they don't transfer from Gmail Contacts to the phone contacts.

Also, each group on the phone is limited to 100 contacts...

So because in my 500+ contacts over 300 of them are current and recent past customers, then I'd have to make alphabetical or geographic groups I guess. Like "Customers, Los Gatos" or "Customers, A to G".

But to create groups just go to your contacts and hit the groups icon, which looks like two heads. Then just hit the green "+" button.

I tried starting a group with 135 or so contacts, and after I checked them all it said it couldn't do it because it was more than 100. So it didn't create it and I don't know yet whether they will transfer to Gmail Contacts or not. Try it and see.

irrig8r
10-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Well. It's not just for leisure. I use my phone constantly for real time information via the internet and apps. If I ever have a question about anything I can look it up right then . I love it. If you're resourseful its extremely useful
Posted via Mobile Device

What, no Angry Birds? :rolleyes:

Mike Leary
10-17-2011, 08:17 PM
I've got to hand it to your boss, he must realize you guys are not abusing the privilege of having such high-tech gear. A sprinkler contractor friend had GPS installed on his employee phones and the service rigs, except he did not tell the boys about the GPS on the trucks, because he was mostly interested in fuel consumption, etc. Happened to check the GPS on one of his rigs, the tech was 40 miles away from where the service call was supposed to be, bonking his honey. He'd shut his phone down, thinking the boss could not track him, wrong.

BrandonV
10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I think your conclusions are faulty.

thats not what your g/f said :cool2:

BrandonV
10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
I've got to hand it to your boss, he must realize you guys are not abusing the privilege of having such high-tech gear. A sprinkler contractor friend had GPS installed on his employee phones and the service rigs, except he did not tell the boys about the GPS on the trucks, because he was mostly interested in fuel consumption, etc. Happened to check the GPS on one of his rigs, the tech was 40 miles away from where the service call was supposed to be, bonking his honey. He'd shut his phone down, thinking the boss could not track him, wrong.

we have several of the iPhones but I'm thinking I'll be phasing in iPads instead, I sometimes think it'd be better NOT to have email/text/ the internet in my/our front pocket. Just get a basic phone (while you still can) and leave the iPad in the truck, that way I can check it when more convenient. my main guy is doing this now and I think it working good. Being connected in important now, you customers email you, we do out timesheets electronically, and the "less" knowledgable crew members text/email photos and ask for help from us big guns.

Mark B
10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I can see what you are doing working good. Having the iPhone in your pocket makes it easy to kill some time.. But that is what i do 7hrs a day..hehehehe I just got the iPhone 4gs
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
But to create groups just go to your contacts and hit the groups icon, which looks like two heads. Then just hit the green "+" button.

Gregg I've done that and all it wants to do is create a new group. I want to add to an existing group from the main contact list.

mitchgo
10-18-2011, 12:18 AM
our newest lead... ALWAYS ON HIS PHONE ... it irriates the hell out of me...

If he's not texting his wife he's looking up ebay... netflix something stupid online..

I don't mind the occasional phone call /text / fiddling around... But when I have to WAIT ON YOU TO ACKNOWLEDGE ME!!.......

Phones are still good and needed...

years ago I worked as a stocker at a warehouse. I was there for 10 months. 4 months into it ,within 1.5 months my boss caught me texting twice while working.. He held that against me and promoted everyone else around me cept me.. The only job I have ever walked out on and the only job I've wasn't in a leadership position. Ef Corporate! Phones are needed

irrig8r
10-18-2011, 01:12 AM

Gregg I've done that and all it wants to do is create a new group. I want to add to an existing group from the main contact list.

See, I don't miss that feature because I never knew I had it.

If I'm emailing customers I'm doing it from the computer, not the phone. There are usually MS Word or PDF attachments involved.

So, I do have all my contacts grouped on the computer. Not as relevant to me on the phone.