PDA

View Full Version : Education and Experience

cmplumley
10-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I was just wondering what every ones education and experience was in the landscaping field. The main question Iím trying to get around is how you learned to do such things as irrigation, hardscapes, and other landscape techniques. I have worked for a lawn care company, and Iím plowing snow with a company in the winter. Also Iím attending the Institute of Applied Agriculture at UMD with hopes of a degree in landscape management at UMD CP. I was just wondering what else I should do to broaden my horizon.
-Thanks

GMLC
10-18-2011, 06:59 PM
I think the most important classes you can take are business classes if you want to run your own business. Most landscapers fail because of bad business practices not quality of work. So if you can do both you will be a head of the game!!

cmplumley
10-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you sir

Lawn Enforcer
10-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Agreed, while you should know what you are doing when it comes to hardscapes, etc. you also need how to properly bid jobs, control costs, payroll, taxes, record keeping, etc. I took a small business management course at a local community college and learned a ton. Good luck!