PDA

View Full Version : echo 280-t timmer problems

Brianj
10-18-2011, 05:35 PM
has anybody had any problems with this trimmer, bought new a couple months ago. runs fine one day then wont crank the next, took it to dealer numerous time he opens the carb all the way sets it back and it works for a week or so.. put a new carb on last week and still same problems..... i have always bought sthil fs80's but since they quit making them we went with echos.

AuburnHort2005
10-18-2011, 06:05 PM
have you ripped out the screen on the muffler? It may be clogged up with soot/carbon.

BrunoT
10-19-2011, 04:31 AM
Try fresh fuel.
Check for strong spark and proper gap at spark plug. Replace if not in good shape.
Inspect plug for signs of too much oil in mix. Echos use 50:1 with approved oils, many mixes are 32:1.
Ensure plug wire is in good shape and making secure contact with plug tip.
Inspect fuel lines for leaks and replace fuel filter.
Make sure air filter is clean, replace just to be sure if it's dirty at all.
Ensure choke is moving correctly into place(remove air filter and crank it briefly w/o it on) Sometimes it can get blocked by the filter assembly.
Check cylinder compression (try to find proper spec on internet or maybe in manual)
Replace vent cap on end of hose, it might be clogged.
Exhaust could be clogged, remove screen if it is and clean it out. But this would be unlikely on a newer unit.
check for loose wire from shutoff switch. (do this first, actually, it might be coming into/out of contact)
Try to determine if on/off switch is defective/out of adjustment and making intermittent contact.
Check throttle cable for correct adjustment.
Remove the plug and spray some starter fluid/carb cleaner in the hole. Crank it, it should fire up from the starter fluid/cleaner. If it starts then dies, it is a fuel delivery issue most likely.

They can be maddening sometimes.

fobaum
10-19-2011, 07:20 AM
0 problems w/ my 280t's. all I run is amsoil and 89oct.

ed2hess
10-19-2011, 07:05 PM
These machine are not going to start on the first pull.....kinda got the idea that might be annoying you. And you will never need a new carb on these the dealer needs to take out the plug that will allow you to tweak the low and high end needles. They sometimes are a little environmental sensitive so something set at plant might not work well at low or high temp.

grassman177
10-19-2011, 08:20 PM
i agree with the above post. wehave had no issues , but one of ours does have something similar sometimes, but mainly when hot outside. otherwise, wehave about 6 or 8 of these in the field with no issues. there is a very specific starting procedure we have found(reguardless of what the manual says) that works like a charm.

it is,

choke, full throttle and pull once

no throttle, choke pull once

if it does not quite start, it will on the third pull every time with no choke and no throttle.

this is very dif from all other echo trimmers we have used for the past 28 years.

mtmower
10-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Only problem I've had is water or fuel saturating the air filter causing lack of air. It will start and run but only gives about half throttle till filter drys out. This is a new unit used as a back up so it's not used regularly. Haven't determined if it's fuel from hanging in the trimmer trap at an angle( carb. down) or water from rain (both times happened after trimmer was in a descent down poor.