PDA

View Full Version : How do you move into more landscaping rather than mowing?

peck
11-11-2002, 06:38 PM
My father and i have started a Lawn Maintenance company up about 12 years ago. And we have some landscape installations and landscaping each year but nothing like we would like to have. We are mainly mowing and snow plowing. I was wondering if there is anyone who has been through this same thing and if they would let me know how they made the move twards landscaping.

Randy Scott
11-12-2002, 12:37 AM
Hey man, you guys are not too far from me. As to leaning towards more landscaping, just advertise it more. If you know something about it and want to pursue more of that work you need to let your present client base know and any advertising you do. Obviously it will require other equipment which gets expensive, but you have to spend money to make money.

Miller
11-12-2002, 04:10 PM
There are basically 3 ways to do this;

1) Go to school and learn landscaping

2) Partner up / sub contract out for jobs you don't know how to do and learn from and watch your partner until you figure out how to do it

3) Start off with small jobs and just learn little by little until you can do big jobs.

Most of us get into it by method #3.

bubble boy
11-12-2002, 06:13 PM
start with your own customers to get jobs. maybe hire a guy who's done landscaping to take a foreman role.