PDA

View Full Version : Dock Cleat

trailboss
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Anybody know where we can find a functional dock cleat/light combo? I would prefer something in LED or at least one that we can put an LED replacement lamp in.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

S&MLL
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Terradek

Terradock

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Steve, there are certainly some who like the Terradock product and that is fine. It is a bit of a glare bomb though and I would be wary about tying up any boat of significant size to them.

Have you considered a proper dock light in combination with proper dock cleats? Being an avid boater and 'lighter', I really don't think there is a product on the market that satisfies both tasks.

Regards.

Richie@
10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Anybody know where we can find a functional dock cleat/light combo? I would prefer something in LED or at least one that we can put an LED replacement lamp in.
Thanks!

These dock lights are a bit pricey but really nice and look well built, no cleat though.

http://www.docklights.com/home.php

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Attractive to look at during the day perhaps, but they too would be awful glare bombs at night. Unshielded light causing glare and veiling luminance is not only a nuisance but can actually be dangerous... not to mention the light pollution implications.

"See the effect, not the source." - rules to live by!

Richie@
10-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks!

Sent you a PM

LLC RI
10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Terradek has a variety of the dock lights with or without the cleats. If you're worried about glare, you can do a few things that can tone it down. You could make a partial shield using some tin flashing and fit it inside the white lens to reduce the light output, especially from the upper portion. You could also get some perforated material and install that which will also mute the light output as well.

If you retrofit with LED this would also most likely provide softer light than incandescent. Solecki.. those lights have white lenses.. they're not that glare bomby! ;-)

Geo

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-26-2011, 10:45 PM
C'mon now Geo... any time you have a bare translucent lens with a lamp behind it you have a source of glare. The eye will always go to the brightest object within view and then the iris will adjust to that light level. Perhaps you could reduce the problem by using a very low watt lamp inside so that it just "glows" but then you have rendered the fixture to ornament status. Better is to "See the effect, not the source" and use properly designed, glare free, fully shielded fixtures that project light out and onto the object they are intended to illuminate.

trailboss
10-27-2011, 04:28 PM
We are gonna try a few of the Terradock lights and put LED lamps in them. They will be on a remote switch and only on when they have company coming over via the lake. Thanks for the input!
Steve
Posted via Mobile Device

LLC RI
10-27-2011, 10:20 PM
James... I agree with you in theory and in the majority of the situations but in the case of dock lighting, they need to see the light to know where to navigate the boat to. I have done docks with posts and used LED postliter like fixtures in LED, and those did a nice job of showing the edges of the dock space. If that one he's working on is a flat dock, then the cleat / light combo will do the trick and if it's an issue with glare, I have in the past, put the circuit on a remote that they turn on when they get close to shore.
;-)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-29-2011, 02:26 PM
James... I agree with you in theory and in the majority of the situations but in the case of dock lighting, they need to see the light to know where to navigate the boat to. I have done docks with posts and used LED postliter like fixtures in LED, and those did a nice job of showing the edges of the dock space. If that one he's working on is a flat dock, then the cleat / light combo will do the trick and if it's an issue with glare, I have in the past, put the circuit on a remote that they turn on when they get close to shore.
;-)

George. Have you ever tried the NS INTEGRAliter GD-0402-BR for lighting flat docks? That is the application that the fixture was designed for and to the best of my knowledge it is still the only Dark Sky Friendly, full cut off, fully shielded, zero glare dock light on the market.

Regards

Richie@
10-30-2011, 09:25 AM
James,

Have you used LED Lamps with the INTEGRAliter GD-0402-BR , if so how well did that work out.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-30-2011, 10:24 PM
James,

Have you used LED Lamps with the INTEGRAliter GD-0402-BR , if so how well did that work out.

Yes I have used the Illumicare LED G4 BiPin Rear Mount in many INTEGRAliter fixtures with good success. The only caveat is if the fixture becomes submerged (during season flooding events for example) you should stick with traditional Xenon BiPin lamps.

Regards