PDA

View Full Version : Utility cart as spray rig ?

naturecoast
11-11-2002, 08:09 PM
Is there a utility cart like a mule or gator that has a tachometer and a manual transmission and a very low gear? I have a blueberry farm and my tractor won't fit down the rows of mature plants without rubbing and breaking the canes.I have two golf carts one electric,one gas, the electric one heats up and smokes wires after prolonged slow speed use.The gas one has a centrifugal clutch,its to hard to maintian uniform speed.The field has about a 10 deg. pitch to it which makes up hill slower than downhill. So far I only looked at the E-Z go workhorse it has a centifugal clutch. BTW I keep the wires and connections on my electric cart clean.

longviewlawncare
11-11-2002, 08:46 PM
here are your choices. Cushman truckster, toro workman, JD porgator, toro multipro, JD 1800. all these will work as sprayers. The multipro, and 1800 are dedicated sprayers. The others you can put a spayer on. All will cost around 12-18k though. All have manual transmission exepct for the cushman which ihad an avialble auto also.

naturecoast
11-11-2002, 09:01 PM
12k is a little high for my spring budget. I was hoping to find something around 6-7k. I will look into those units. You never know I might find a deal.

cantoo
11-11-2002, 09:27 PM
They make a speciallized vehicle that would work for this type of job. Most of us here would never admit to using one but we all probably have at one time or another.
It's called a lawn or a garden tractor.. If all you are using it for is spraying I would think the Scott's from Home Depot would work good for you. You could add an after market tach or even a speedo to it and away you go. I'm not sure of the amount of liquid you would need to carrry but you could either put the tank out front or on a trailer behind.

naturecoast
11-11-2002, 09:54 PM
I was at the lawn tractor stage 8 years ago. Went thru a brand new craftsman in one year. snapper in two years. Now I use my lawnmowers for mowing only.I want a multi- purpose vehicle for pulling nursery wagons,spraying,inspecting fence lines,e.t.c...

1grnlwn
11-12-2002, 12:05 AM
Find the best vehicle for durability and constant speed. Don't worry about a speedo you can install one yourself. Hey a 200cc auto four wheeler might make a good base vehicle for spraying only.

Mark

sirsweatsalot
11-12-2002, 01:11 AM
check out snapper. i think they are priced in your range. they are similer to what a toro workman is. i got to ride with a friend that demoed one. hell of a ride. (no alchol involed:) ) did manage to get it stuck in a swamp though. climbed hills like a drunk monkey though!

tremor
11-13-2002, 07:55 AM
Even the best golf utility cart with a lift kit won't have more than 6-8" of ground clearance. Wouldn't a decent used row crop tractor have the height to travel over Blueberries?

You can use a cart thougj you'll be pulling the hose & walking the rows. I've built 3 of these on Cushman's over the years. All had spraybooms & electric hosereels to offer both options. None cost $7,000 since we started with a used Cushman each time.

A good rig can be built with used materials on this budget. Check ebay & other venues for a good used utility card. With all the golf courses in Fla, finding a used one won't take long.
Do make sure that the payload capacity is adequate before buying one.I'd look to spend on half of that budget on the cart. The other half you can spend on the actual sprayer & boom assembly.
You don't need (and at the budget, dont want) an on board computer with flow control & all the other contraptions, bells, & whistles just to spray some blueberries.

The list of Fla dealers is nearly endless.

http://www.golfcar.com/

http://golfcardirectory.com/db_listings/E-Z-GO.php

When calling around, make sure you specify that you're after a large weight capacity, gasoline powered, utility cart.
An electric golf cart will be a complete waste of time.

How much area do you need to spray & with what?

Steve

naturecoast
11-13-2002, 09:02 AM
I can't use a row cropper,the plant are 5-6 feet high,I could use a compact tractor like a small 30 horse diesel ford or kubota. But I don,t want to buy another tractor right now.I wanted something two people can sit on so I can bring a helper when I need to. Right now I have 3ac. planted, within two years I will have 8ac. planted. I spray allette,ridomil,kocide.solicam,round-up,poast.and some others.The new planting will be the newest varieties which require growth regulators to prevent overbaring.I am also going to start applying more liquid fertilizers some of which need to sprayed. Most of the other growers use compact tractors and I may have to get one in the future anyway to pull a mulch spreader. but I would like to get rid of the golf carts and get a utility cart. Just hoping to find one that wuold double as a sprayer for a while.

tremor
11-13-2002, 03:17 PM
I understand.

Maybe a used heavy duty Toyota Pickup would be more practical? No registration needed if it stays on the farm.

I have a Yamaha G1 utility cart that is essentially a stock golfcart with an aluminum dump body. It can't carry a payload of even 1000lbs. That means that even a 50 gallon sprayer is pushing it on rough terrain.

Try to find a decent used Cushman, JD Gator, or other 1 Ton rated machine. $3000 is realistic. The rest is easy. Our brand new 200 gal sprayer is on sale for $3100. The heavy duty off-road running gear is $900.

There you go. $7000 ready to spray.

Steve

John DiMartino
11-13-2002, 09:17 PM
I use a cushman truckster,it works great,I paid 150 bucks for it,put 600 into it,and its been running for 5 yrs now.It has a 2 speed hi/low range,wil go as slow as 2mph,or as fast as 27mph.in high range 3rd gr.I put a tach on it,set the governor at 2500,low gr,low range,and spray away.Mine only has a 1000 lb payload,plenty of the 60-80 gallons i usually use when spraying.My boom/engine weigh about 200lbs.

Runner
11-14-2002, 08:27 PM
Here's one you may want to look into. These babies are AWESOME! They also have some other rather heavy duty ones that aren't in the Professional series.
http://www.polarisindustries.com/product/specs.asp?contentid=03PPSUTV4X4

John DiMartino
11-14-2002, 08:59 PM
Runner,the Polaris is nice,so is my carryall 2,but they both have variable transmissions,which makes them not usable for spraying where accurate speed control is needed.They vary speed way to much,for pesticides this is not acceptable.

naturecoast
11-15-2002, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all of your input. Now I have a better idea what to look for.:)