PDA

View Full Version : BobCat or Red Hawk? Help me.

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I found a used Bob Cat 48" belt drive fixed deck mower for $500. It is an 2004 model I believe. It has an 15 HP Kaw on it.
I also found a 18 HP Kohler 48" Red Hawk Hydro with sulky with 10 hours on it for $1,000. I like the thought of it being hydro and new vs. 6 years old and belt. Is it a good deal??? What would you do?

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 05:35 PM
The BobCat looks old too. No idea on the engine hours.

Richard Martin
10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd still buy the American made Bobcat. The Red Hawk is a chinese mower.

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Are there any good string trimmers made by an American company? I thought Stihl was a foreign company too.

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Echo is a true American company, I think. It's funny to me how everyone screams BUY AMERICAN! And has a bunch of Stihl equipment. lol

Richard Martin
10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Echo is a true American company, I think. It's funny to me how everyone screams BUY AMERICAN! And has a bunch of Stihl equipment. lol

Echo is Japanese.

"Echo, Inc. is a subsidiary of Kioritz Corporation of Japan"

http://www.echo-usa.com/About-ECHO/About-Us

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Man it's hard to buy American.

nepatsfan
10-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Its not even necessarily buying american as much as it is dont buy chinese or korean. Japan has similar manufacturing standards as does germany sweden canada....and even mexico to a point. Chinese uses inferior steel and components and uses little girls in sweat shops to put out high volumes at super low prices. I like to buy american when I can but if not I will go with something of quality from another country, which never includes china, taiwan, korea....and so on.

nepatsfan
10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Here is something you can probably relate to. Take a chinese bolt which is pretty much all they sell in hardware stores/home improvement stores. You can take a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt and turn the head right off the bolt like nothing. The steel is low quality junk.

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Its not even necessarily buying american as much as it is dont buy chinese or korean. Japan has similar manufacturing standards as does germany sweden canada....and even mexico to a point. Chinese uses inferior steel and components and uses little girls in sweat shops to put out high volumes at super low prices. I like to buy american when I can but if not I will go with something of quality from another country, which never includes china, taiwan, korea....and so on.

I see what you are saying. I thought it was about keeping the jobs and the money here.

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
So you would go with the real old Bob Cat gear drive and not the Hydro New Red Hawk?

unkownfl
10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
The bobcat is a way better mower and you'll be able to get parts now and in the future.

Darryl G
10-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd keep looking but wouldn't buy the Red Hawk.

nepatsfan
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Well, I am not going to get into a big political debate about this but it is a global economy. In other words anyone can buy a piece of ford, chevy, kawasaki, honda because of the stock market. Ford is made in mexico primarily and gm in canada. It is not as easy as buy american and keep it here.

Coumbe
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
True, I hope the motor does not quit next week. Thats probably over a thousand bucks!

GMLC
10-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I would stay away from the Chinese mowers. Keep checking craigslist because there are good deals this time of year. I see hydro walkbehinds for $1000-$2000 quite often.

knox gsl
10-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Most of Stihl's commercial lineup is built in Virgina Beach, VA or Germany.

knox gsl
10-19-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=363343 Fellow member has this for sell and is willing to deliver. This is also alot more mower than a redhawk or belt drive.

Lbilawncare
10-19-2011, 11:47 PM
We're only talking $500 here. Buy the BobCat and make some money with it until you can afford something better.

lawnpro724
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I run only Toro commercial but know people in this business who have and use Redhawk commercial mowers and put them through hell and back and they hold up. Redhawk mowers dont have the fit and finish of the top brands but they also don't cost as much either. In my opinion you would be much better off with the Redhawk mower and the hydro is much better than belt drive and the pumps on the Redhawk are the same as most other companies use. And all you buy American because everything else is junk crowd had better take a good hard look at everything you own because 90% of it isn't made here!

lawnpro724
10-21-2011, 12:02 PM

You may want to reconsider what you are saying here. Chinese imports raw steel from the good old U.S.A, processes it,manufactures whatever and ships it back to us. I'm all for buy American but I'm also a realist. Chinese production is on par with most of the major industrial countries and surpasing many of them. Where they lack is in inovation and new concepts the area where America is still the world leader. Chinese are the kings of copying and there very good at what they do.

Richard Martin
10-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Chinese production is on par with most of the major industrial countries and surpasing many of them.

The Chinese can't even come close to the quality we produce in the United States. Time and again I see Chinese goods that are passed of as "just as good as American" and time and again it turns out to only be half as good.

JDiepstra
10-21-2011, 12:46 PM
It's all well and good to debate who makes better stuff but until someone can actually provide specific examples it's all just hearsay.

lawnpro724
10-21-2011, 01:03 PM
The Chinese can't even come close to the quality we produce in the United States. Time and again I see Chinese goods that are passed of as "just as good as American" and time and again it turns out to only be half as good.

You really need to read posts better. Where did I say Chinese was better than American made? I said Chinese manufacturing was on par with most other industrialized countries and better than some. If your going to quote me get it right!

madisonpressurewashing
10-21-2011, 01:37 PM
How about this " Keep the profits at home" GO USA

Richard Martin
10-21-2011, 02:17 PM
It's all well and good to debate who makes better stuff but until someone can actually provide specific examples it's all just hearsay.

I can do this all day long.

Here's an excellent example. This is a Made In The USA 20 oz Estwing leather rip hammer. I bought one of these almost 20 years ago and still use it to this day.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/vAWavRRpsToQMuwoAYRReiO9N8R8FUdktQ9FiE70tXBW8U2y5tgNxyvorXvZ_7bxaV594Zb3RTc95ECrrp_7u-vOFEk3THQ83S38hjVa0mHh5TPFsdRVwJoQ1cZ1afygLJm_Ng24CgRY

Try buying the equivilent of this hammer at Harbor Freight.

It is rediculous for you to say to provide examples. They're all around us.

lawnpro724
10-21-2011, 04:29 PM
I can do this all day long.

Here's an excellent example. This is a Made In The USA 20 oz Estwing leather rip hammer. I bought one of these almost 20 years ago and still use it to this day.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/vAWavRRpsToQMuwoAYRReiO9N8R8FUdktQ9FiE70tXBW8U2y5tgNxyvorXvZ_7bxaV594Zb3RTc95ECrrp_7u-vOFEk3THQ83S38hjVa0mHh5TPFsdRVwJoQ1cZ1afygLJm_Ng24CgRY

Try buying the equivilent of this hammer at Harbor Freight.

It is rediculous for you to say to provide examples. They're all around us.

You are right! Examples are everywhere! America has been a leader in manufacturing quality everything for over a hundred years so there are millions of examples if not billions. Now in 2011 its a different story other countries like China, Mexico, Korea and on and on are taking over in manufacturing with the blessing of American companies and the Government. America is the leader bar none in innovation. The world uses our software to power their computers. We are the leader in micro robotics and genetics and not to mention WE, THE GOOD OLD U.S.A ...... FEED THE WORLD! We may not be the manufacturing king anymore and thats fine with me but we are the world leader in many more things comming down the road. America is a Great country and will continue to be in the future. Our legacy is that every country in the world is trying to copy what we here take for granted everyday the American Dream.

nepatsfan
10-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I cant believe anyone would say that chinese manufacturing is on par with US. Not even close, especially when it comes to steel. Japan, yes....even maybe mexico to an extent....china and korea. no way. Tell me about the chinese bolts that the head twists right off. I bought a chinese strobe light kit......P.O.S......that was my bad.

As richard said...go to harbor freight and check out that chit. You should see the nice 3/8 chain that I bought for a 1 ton dump....one side broke..(like within a month) and so I only had 1 chain on it. Now this is 3/8 chain....should hold a tailgate and me on it. I hadnt got the other side replaced yet. other chain broke with me on it and I broke my elbow....Thanks china! I went back to the hardware store where I bought it. Made in china. Believe me...no comparison chinese steel products to american. We sell the stuff to china that doesn't pass here. How about electronics...nice chinese tv or even one of those chinese engines. Not close in quality. I didnt say no foreign, I said china sux...

GMLC
10-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Chinese steel is not approved for bridges, power plants or certain buildings. Its the process they use over there. My uncle owns a welding company and has to order steel from here, canada or russia for any important construction projects.

Darryl G
10-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I love my $5 Chinese axe for chopping tree roots and digging trenches :)

GMLC
10-21-2011, 09:26 PM
I love my china wrenches that I bend to get to those hidden bolts.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-21-2011, 09:29 PM
You may want to reconsider what you are saying here. Chinese imports raw steel from the good old U.S.A, processes it,manufactures whatever and ships it back to us. I'm all for buy American but I'm also a realist. Chinese production is on par with most of the major industrial countries and surpasing many of them. Where they lack is in inovation and new concepts the area where America is still the world leader. Chinese are the kings of copying and there very good at what they do.

Raw steel from the US? China makes their own steel.

Richard Martin
10-22-2011, 04:11 AM
///////////////////////////

Richard Martin
10-22-2011, 04:15 AM
I love my china wrenches that I bend to get to those hidden bolts.

The ones I see usually snap off. It's great if you're trying to make a header wrench!

petara
10-23-2011, 09:42 AM
I own a 48 RedHawk belt drive WB. I have had it 2 seasons with no major problems at all.

It has the Kohler Command 18hp and a Peerless transmission, which are made in either the US or Canada, according to what the rep said to me when I bought it.

The deck is heavy duty and most of the other parts are commercial grade in my opinion.

I would definitely look at a hydro RedHawk over a belt driven WB.

Also that price on the hydro 48 is very good. Brand new they are about $2,500 - 2800

Just my 2 cents...