PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what this is?

jvanvliet
10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Look what I found attached to my boot while doing this (see below). A different type of Florida hydraulics.

Mike Leary
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm getting burned out from you asking a question when you know the answer, slither away. :hammerhead:

jvanvliet
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
LOL... I didn't know the Electro answer, I called the property manager and axed.

I'll wait for some responses from the hydrologists, or do you mean the snake?

Man I can't wait for my wife and I to get out to God's country where you are.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I found images but not the name. I do believe it isn't poisonous. What type is it?

Mike Leary
10-19-2011, 07:49 PM
I found images but not the name. I do believe it isn't poisonous. What type is it?

Is it a Coral snake (young) ?

txirrigation
10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Is it a Coral snake (young) ?

Red touches yellow it will kill a fellow. Red touches black, it's a friend of jack.

Coral Snakes will kill your ace, but red touches yellow.

irritation
10-19-2011, 08:12 PM
So it's just a milk snake. Still would scare the crap out of me.

Mike Leary
10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Snakes are not a issue up north, all harmless on the west side. When we get down to the deep desert in a few weeks, we'll be on the lookout for not only snakes, but these little dears:

ReddensLawnCare
10-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Na, thats a king snake. I used to find those quite a bit when I lived in Florida.

txirrigation
10-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Na, thats a king snake. I used to find those quite a bit when I lived in Florida.

Bingo. For some reason I could not remember the name, just the saying. We have king snakes and Coral snakes, every kid around here knows the difference because of the Kill a fellow rhym.

easy-lift guy
10-19-2011, 09:31 PM
King snake is correct and I believe the King snake can kill a coral snake as well. Good to have around the garden.

jvanvliet
10-20-2011, 06:56 AM
You're right, it's a King snake; good to have around for vermin & often mistaken for one of these; a coral snake (not uncommon here), I crushed it under my foot. I kept this one in the freezer to show clients why we get hazardous duty pay.

As for the pool, this pool was to be resurfaced. Since the pool was near a lake @ 5ft elevation a test hole had to be drilled to determine the ground water level. The water level was right @ 5 Ft. Because the pool is 7ft deep, the deep end of the pool is actually below the ground water level. Emptying the pool would create positive buoyancy and in time, the pool will pop up out of ground.

Because the resurfacing process takes days, we needed to be sure we kept enough water in the bottom of the pool to keep it in the ground, be able to remove the water for prep work and pump water from below the pool to complete the job before refilling the pool.

The main drain on this pool had been compromised as a result of an earlier repair, usually we go in through the main drain. In this case, we had to drill through the bottom of the pool, establish a well head, insert a 1.5" threaded well casing with a small screen. A hydraulic composite was then injected around the casing to assure the seal and the pump was "rigged".

When the pool company needed the pool dry, we would cap off the hole and pump out the water, once the pool was dry, we would connect the pump to the well head and pump water from underneath the pool until end of the day. At that time we would pull the pump off the well head and allow the ground water to seep up into the pool which is what you see in the photographs.

Once the surface was finished, we capped the hole and filled the pool. :waving:

txgrassguy
10-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I had a Coral Snake in a 400 gallon water feature at my old house. I see my thankfully now ex- wife standing there with a confused look on her face like "WTF" is this?

It is a Coral Snake just curled up next to her foot - and she is wearing sandals. She jumped back when I told her it was poisonous then asked why it didn't strike her.

My response: Professional Courtesy.

I have gotten a few good benefits from being married to a real winner. One of them is in the bedroom. Just last evening I was competing in the mattress acrobatics before the floor exercise and my girlfriend asked what I thought of during this time.
So I told her my ex-wife.
She wanted to know if this was due to with-held feelings of sorrow or regret.
Nope, it's just so I don't blow my load quicker. Works better than a cold shower or watching a fatal accident.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
(.):wall(.)

Stuttering Stan
10-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Now that's a classic post from txirrigation.:clapping:

irrig8r
10-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Yep. He oughta to a standup act. Someone else's misery often makes great comedy.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
10-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Could have solved long term issues if you told her it was cuddly & she ought to give it a hug.

As for me, my horizontal enrichment program does not involve memories of that all white, pure bred guinea c.... never mind.

Rock on! :drinkup:

Mike Leary
10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Yep. He oughta to a standup act. Someone else's misery often makes great comedy.

Rodney Dangerfield made a career of blaming himself. :laugh:

Waterit
10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Rodney Dangerfield made a career of blaming himself. :laugh:

Richard Lewis, too.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Coral snakes are good. They eat vermin as well. Unless its threatening your children or dog it should be left alone.

jvanvliet
10-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Coral snakes are good. They eat vermin as well. Unless its threatening your children or dog it should be left alone.

They are reclusive & will slither from humans, but if they bite, they'll hang on and chew. Eastern Coral snakes have one of the most potent venom among poisonous snakes, it'll stop you from breathing within an hour. The snake may be beneficial in general, but it's dead on my job sites.

We tend to shake the bushes and disturb the ground before sticking our hands into anything. All kinds of nasty poisonous creatures around these parts & now we've got a new pest, an Asian snail that is so toxic it can digest concrete, no kidding!

Sprinkus
10-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Giant African Land Snail. (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/55790/giant-african-land-snails-infe-1.asp)

jvanvliet
10-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Giant African Land Snail. (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/55790/giant-african-land-snails-infe-1.asp)

Ah, that's what I meant. Thank you.

txirrigation
10-21-2011, 09:17 PM

While I would love to have my ex-wife hug a Coral snake, that was TXgrassguy.

TXgrassguy is much smarter than I am, bc I am married again.

This time I upgraded :cool2:, and no longer have dreams of... well thats another story.

Maybe TXgg and I could get together and sing all my ex's live in Texas.

I just wish she would move to Oklahoma, then the IQ in both states would go up. Win Win.

txgrassguy
10-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I'd be more than happy to get together and sing about my ex.

Besides, if she decides to show up I'll probably need help with th wooden stake.

So, where are you at?

I'm west of Austin off of Hwy 71 - about forty minutes.

rlitman
10-25-2011, 10:54 AM
They are reclusive & will slither from humans, but if they bite, they'll hang on and chew.

That's because they have no way to inject venom. The bite, creating the puncture wound, and then chew, to get the venom into the wound.

txgrassguy
10-26-2011, 08:49 AM
That's because they have no way to inject venom. The bite, creating the puncture wound, and then chew, to get the venom into the wound.

Definitely sounds like my ex-wife.