PDA

View Full Version : Question about fall clean-up?

Kleen Kutz
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
I was wondering how do you charge for fall clean-up. What would you charge someone for fall clean-up if you normally charge them $50.00 per cut?:confused:

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-19-2011, 05:12 PM
You really can't tell until you see the job and what it entails. We will not give anyone a price until its ready to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
10-19-2011, 05:13 PM
You cant go by that. You have to figure out how long it will take you and price it out from there. This is still one of the hardest things to estimate for me. The problem with the per cut thing is that you could have 500 trees and 50 per cut or some could have 10 trees and 50 per cut. Probably different where you are too....I am pretty sure we get a lot more leaves up here.

Kleen Kutz
10-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Ok, what would you pay yourself per hour for fall clean-up?

fastlane
10-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I base the cost on the number of trees ,time to clean beds, removal, etc. Very little to do with the cost per cut.

nepatsfan
10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Ok, what would you pay yourself per hour for fall clean-up?

what do you pay yourself per hour to do anything. How much do you need to make in a day to pay your bills and make a profit. You have to figure that out for yourself.

nepatsfan
10-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I base the cost on the number of trees ,time to clean beds, removal, etc. Very little to do with the cost per cut.

these are things you should think about

douglee25
10-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Here's what factors into an estimate for me:

1. Figure out what the real cost is to do business. Figure out what it costs you to run your equipment per hour, factor in depreciation, repairs, insurance, fuel, truck, building (if you have one), and labor (if you have supplemental help). You need to charge this just to break even on a per hour basis.

2. Estimate how many hours it will take you to complete the job. Multiple this by your per hour cost. This is what you need to charge to break even on this specific job.

3. What do you want to make profit percentage wise? 5%? 10%? 30%? 40%? Run these formulas and solve for revenue to find out what you should charge for the job.

Revenue (what you're charging the customer) minus cost = profit. (R-C)=P

(Profit/cost) x 100 = Profit percentage. (P/C) x 100 = PP

Some other things that will help figuring out the time to complete the job:

1. How many beds? (more backpack blower)
2. How many fence lines? (more backpack blower)
3. How many trees per yard?
4. How many times will you be doing this yard? I typically would try to sell 3 cleanups per customer. We actually have a leaf collection with the township, so I would try to time the work just prior to the vacuum coming around. If the customer is someone who tries to save money by only having 1 cleanup done, they get charged appropriately.
5. How much of the job requires the push blower? More open yards that can be done by the bigger machine can actually cost less than a yard that is smaller and requires a lot more backpack time.
6. Are you tarping leaves?

These are just some of things that I typically calculate when pricing a job. Of course something that you can't factor in is the weather. Rain and wind are the two things that can dramatically increase the time on a job. If the leaves are wet, they don't move = more time. If it's windy and the leaves continue to blow backwards as you work the job = more time.

Doug

Darryl G
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
I just do it and send them a bill based on my hourly rates and hauling fees for all my regular customers.

For one time cleanups, which I don't do many of, I give them an estimate but bill actual time/hauling based on my rates most of the time. The problem I've had in the past with one timers and flat fees is that I go and look at it and price it out, not realizing that all the leaves from the whole frakin neighborhood blow into the lawn and they fertilized it heavily but haven't cut it in a month. I will sometimes lump sum small jobs, say under $150 or jobs I've done before.

StihlMechanic
10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Personally I have done a few earlier this year in June after we had a bad hail storm. I quoted them $30 per hour plus disposal fees. One job came to $480 (16 man hours) and dumped the leaves on site in their woods. This was raking and tarping after creating windrows with my Z. It was tough work. I then mowed the property (regular weekly account) for $75. It was profitable but I would of rathered it not take as long.

mak
10-19-2011, 11:11 PM
We try to give a ballpark to the customer... but tell them it will ultimately come down to manhours. Usually $30/manhour to cover time, handling, disposal, and overhead. Most of the time they hesitate and think it is too much. But it works nicely for our regulars that trust us. One timers think your out to get rich off them!! Yeah right!!

I'm looking for other ways to speed up cleanups and for better ways to charge for them too...

noobie206
10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
what tools are you using for that $30 per hour fall clean up job? rakes and blowers and scooping it up to be dumped into their bin or to be disposed by you for or an extra charge? Or rakes, blowers, and vacuums?