PDA

View Full Version : leveled a home owners deck

Jimslawncareservice
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Mowed a lawn this spring as a one time deal. The guys neighbor comes over. He looks pissed. So I get my self ready for a butt chewing. Well he asked if I could tell him what was wrong with his mower. We walk in the back yard to find the side cutting 2" or so shorter then the right. He said I will give you a hundo if you can make it better. So at the end of the day I picked it up. Spent about 20 minutes and a trip to town to get new blades. Drop it off and gives me 50 more. So I get home tonight from doing field work and find the guys mower sitting by my shop door with a note and boxes of stuff. The note said please change oil sharpen blades change plugs and air filter. Oh and the big box is a bagger. The note also contained 300 bucks.

I take it he must have been burned in the past by repair shops, or maybe he sees how my stuff runs smooth and cuts level. His cheapo mower stripes about as well as any other mower. Oh well what's one more mower to maintain and few more dollars in my pocket
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Mowed a lawn this spring as a one time deal. The guys neighbor comes over. He looks pissed. So I get my self ready for a butt chewing. Well he asked if I could tell him what was wrong with his mower. We walk in the back yard to find the side cutting 2" or so shorter then the right. He said I will give you a hundo if you can make it better. So at the end of the day I picked it up. Spent about 20 minutes and a trip to town to get new blades. Drop it off and gives me 50 more. So I get home tonight from doing field work and find the guys mower sitting by my shop door with a note and boxes of stuff. The note said please change oil sharpen blades change plugs and air filter. Oh and the big box is a bagger. The note also contained 300 bucks.

I take it he must have been burned in the past by repair shops, or maybe he sees how my stuff runs smooth and cuts level. His cheapo mower stripes about as well as any other mower. Oh well what's one more mower to maintain and few more dollars in my pocket
Posted via Mobile Device

Some days you wonder why we mow yards....

Ridin' Green
10-19-2011, 10:53 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Good for you Jim. You probaly had it back to him to use the in record time compared to most dealers.:dizzy:

A few years ago, I made more money each summer by doing spring/fall tune-ups/clean-ups than from mowing. I would clean the entire engine so that it looked like new, service everything that needed servicing, level the deck (again, since most were people who were abusive to their stuff:rolleyes:, and were repeat customers), air the tires properly etc., etc.

Some I even charged a minor pick up and delivery charge to, and they were happy to pay since I charged about exactly half of what all our local dealers do for less service by far than what I gave, and I still made good money.

knox gsl
10-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Reading the title I thought it was going to be a story of how you took out a deck attached to a house. You making money sounds better.

cpllawncare
10-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Reading the title I thought it was going to be a story of how you took out a deck attached to a house. You making money sounds better.

LOL I did to! Glad it wasn't!

Jimslawncareservice
10-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I guess I should have said it differently
Posted via Mobile Device

cvcook
10-20-2011, 05:23 PM

I thought the same thing LOL!

StanWilhite
10-20-2011, 07:25 PM
I thought the same thing as several others. I was wondering how rotten the deck had to be,and/ or how fast the mower was going? :-)

punt66
10-20-2011, 08:04 PM
was looking for pictures of a second floor deck riped from a house. Oh well. hahha

Jimslawncareservice
10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah yeah. I know I moss worded it. I guess I would think the same thing if it wasn't my post. Haven't been getting much sleep for the last 3 weeks
Posted via Mobile Device