PDA

View Full Version : How to pick up the junk beside the curb...

BBC.lawn.services
10-19-2011, 11:05 PM
How do you guys do it?

I'm looking for machine which could do this: pick-up gumballs, clean beside the curb, suck leave out of flower beds and hedge trimming.

Possible options include:
Billy goat lawn vac with hose( researched a lot. I know they could pick up the stuff along side the curb and flower bed stuff but I wasn't sure about the gumballs.)

Lawn sweeper: Ohio Steel Industries never seen one off these used before... I think the could pick up curb side debris if blown back into the lawn, and they would pick up gumballs... not sure thou.)

Bag-a-nut- Great for gum balls... worthless for anything else...

Mower bagger - similar to the lawn sweeper but would want to use it on gum balls.

I'm looking for the option which can do all of these things well (yes I know only one can suck leaves out of a flower bed. The other I would have to blow the leaves on the lawn and than take car of them.) It doesn't have to do it all great... I'm just looking for something which does a decent job and is reliable.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time and contribute!

- BBC

Richard Martin
10-20-2011, 04:46 AM
I know you're looking for one "Do It All" machine but it ain't made. I once had a 10 HP lawn vacuum. It had a hose attachment for getting into window wells and flower beds. I found it easier to just blow the leaves onto the lawn. Currently I have a mower bagger, a lawn sweeper, a pull behind powered collection unit and 3 different sizes of blowers. A handheld, a backpack and a wheeled blower. I use whatever gets the job done the fastest.

I have a buddy that uses lawn sweepers for getting up gumballs. I don't care for that. The mower he uses to drag the sweeper around crushes the gumballs into the turf as the wheels ride over them. I'm there to get all of the gumballs, not crush some down and get the rest.

tyler_mott85
10-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Plastic Scoop shovels work great for me for cleaning nastiness out of curbs. :)

ralph02813
10-20-2011, 07:29 AM
ok what are gumballs

Darryl G
10-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Power broom will do a lot of that. Shredder vac for bed detail work. Plastic grain shovel to compliment them.

yardguy28
10-20-2011, 08:20 AM
for most debris in the gutter i just blow it into the turf and mow it up.

if someone insists the gum balls actually get removed from the property i use a rake and make a pile and throw it in my truck bed.

most people are perfectly fine with letting the gum balls rot in the turf until they disappear.

i have a neighbor who insists on removing the gum balls from his back yard. every year he rakes them into a huge pile and has me haul them away.

i personally rake my lawn every spring and do remove some of the gum balls but whatever is left just gets ran over with the lawn mower and pushed into the ground and decomposses.

like i think richard said. there is no one machine to do it all.

as for mulch beds and flower beds. a blower, blowing the debris into the turf and mowing it up works just great.

i do have a trac vac system i modified to fit my 36" walkbehind (use to have a 52" tthp it was made for) but i rarely get it out. it mostly gets used when i have someone helping me or on the few back yards i can't get my 52" into.

scocar
10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
ok what are gumballs

nasty lil b*stards that are a PITA to get out of the grass...I have a few sweetgum trees in my yard and I put an old beat up set of blades on in the spring and windrow them into the wood line...

sorry know this doesn't help the OP... :rolleyes:

http://gardennaturally.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/weeder-sweet-gum-2.jpg[

Darryl G
10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
ok what are gumballs

These are gumballs!

BBC.lawn.services
10-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I like it Darryl! - Ya, for those who don't know.... I mow in malls... They started hiring lawn care companies to clean up because the janitor union is on strike. Worse thing about it is the kids are all ways throwing those gumballs all over the floor. Hard to pick up. :laugh: Apple is suing me because a discharged half a dozen into there store... opps. :rolleyes:

Back on topic -

Yes the correct name for the little beasts are sweet gum balls... sweet really has nothing to do with these monsters thou...

Thanks for all the replies.

What I'm thinking now is... mount a lawn sweeper off centered so that I don't have run over the sweet gum balls. and sweep them up. (how well do lawn sweepers pick up stuff? I would like it if it was nice enough to pick up pecans as well...)
Use a shovel for the stuff along the curb. Throw it into a garbage can or unto the lawn
Uses a mower bagger to pick up all the stuff which I throw/blow unto the lawn.
Sound like the most price efficient/time efficient way to go about it?

BBC.lawn.services
10-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Okay well I did a hedge trimming/flower bed clean up and it helped my figure out a few things.
I have a shop vac and I used it to pick up so the the leaves etc. Worked fine so no billy goat needed!
I blew the other stuff unto the lawn and gobbled it up with the 21" mower. Not to bad either...
so...
I'm either going to get a bag-a-nut or a OSI lawn sweeper... all start a new thread over in the landscape maintenance... thanks for all the replies here!

StanWilhite
10-20-2011, 08:04 PM
How do you pick up junk beside the curb? Most guys start off by asking if she's "working".
:rolleyes: