PDA

View Full Version : How do you bypass the seat safety switch on Husq PZ?

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Ok...I've made a jumper and bypassed my seat safety cut-off on my Lazer, and I did the same for my new PZ 60 the other day but it must have another gremlin they threw in to make it harder to do it. It'll start, but when you engage the PTO it kills it. I'm thinking maybe it could be a ground or something. Has anyone figured it out yet? PLEASE let me know...I hate having to brake and disengage the PTO a million times in these huge cemeteries to pick up little stuff that I come across. Any help appreciated.

A+Grounds
10-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Why would you want to do that? Just the pto off and engauge the parking brake, then you can get off the mowere while the engine is running.
Posted via Mobile Device

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Why would you want to do that? Just the pto off and engauge the parking brake, then you can get off the mowere while the engine is running.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have to do it a hundred times, just on ONE of my cemeteries, which takes 3 days of just riding to cut. Even picking up stuff ahead of time, there's always a bunch of small hidden stuff that I have to get up..little flowers and things, that turn into a dozen if it's mulched. It's a lot of wear and tear on the PTO clutch and belts....believe me, if you cut the props I do, you'd be doing the same thing.
-David

Darryl G
10-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Can't you just use one of those pickup grabber tool thingys? I keep one on my lazer for trash and sticks.

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Can't you just use one of those pickup grabber tool thingys? I keep one on my lazer for trash and sticks.

but most of the time it's 5-10 pieces the size of a nickel and you'd never get it done....it has to be done by hand. The grabber is good for the larger stuff, and I also have one of those multi-pronged stabbers, and I used both of them when I had my Wright Stander with a barrel strapped to it, and it worked for the larger stuff, but you'd spend your LIFETIME trying to fiddle with the little stuff with a grabber when you can just get off the mower and pinch it out of the grass by hand. Here's a pic of what I picked up after a recent storm...filled up that huge dumpster, PLUS THREE grave-burial vaults....and trust me, you couldn't IMAGINE how many things are in there the size of a nickel. Maybe this'll help everyone understand what I'm up against. This was FIVE DAYS worth of picking up!

A+Grounds
10-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Why cant I just read the whole post....... Now it makes comeplete sense! You pto would thank you too
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
10-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Ooooh. And picking everything up first is too time consuming? I can't imagine having to deal with that.

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Why cant I just read the whole post....... Now it makes comeplete sense! You pto would thank you too
Posted via Mobile Device

he he he! Yeah, and my arm feels like the arm on a Vegas slot machine from all the times pulling the parking brake and hitting the PTO! I thought that pic would get my point across! These pics show just PART of ONE of the three cemeteries I maintain. There's another whole garden not shown in these pics. Any volunteers? *smile*
-David

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Ooooh. And picking everything up first is too time consuming? I can't imagine having to deal with that.

...But there's ALWAYS stuff hidden in the weeds and sandspurs that you can walk right by and not see until you turn around. I buried my 22 year old son out there in 2007, so it's a labor of love, trust me.
-David

JimQ
10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah, the seat switch connector in the harness is a tamper resistant connector. When you unplug the switch, it has a small plunger that is released and connects the two conductors together. look at the end of the connector, you'll see what I mean.

The easiest way is to pull the switch out of the seat and wrap some electrical tape around it to hold the plunger in. It just fools the system into thinking there is someone in the seat.

That being said, I suppose it might be even easier to just cut one of the wires going to the switch and tape it off.

Q

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah, the seat switch connector in the harness is a tamper resistant connector. When you unplug the switch, it has a small plunger that is released and connects the two conductors together. look at the end of the connector, you'll see what I mean.

The easiest way is to pull the switch out of the seat and wrap some electrical tape around it to hold the plunger in. It just fools the system into thinking there is someone in the seat.

That being said, I suppose it might be even easier to just cut one of the wires going to the switch and tape it off.

Q

I thought about wrapping tape around it, but I was just wondering if there was a way to jump it....actually, I was just really curious how the thing actually worked *smile*. Whe I messed with it I was in a hurry, so I just plugged it back in and went on......but yeah, thanks. I'll do one of the two...and I really appreciate it a lot.
-David Innis

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I tried electrical tape first...then a narrow strip of duct tape...it wouldn't hold it down flush, and I KNOW it would gradually stretch the tape and pop back up. At least it wouldn't hold it without wrapping it with so much tape that you couldn't get it to snap back into the seat. I took two TINY REALLY SHORT screws...didn't know how deep I could go without hitting the metal inside...predrilled so I wouldn't crack it. One would have held it, but I KNOW 2 will for sure...since the threads are so fine and it's going into plastic...and not much of that. Works like a champ...and it'll still cut off if you forget and leave the parking brake on and close the handles, which is GOOD!, but other than that, you can get off the seat with the blades running AND the brake off...in other words, opening the handles bypasses the brake safety. DANG, Y'all...you just don't KNOW how much time that's going to save me, and my back...trying to inch up to a little piece of a trash and reaching over trying to keep your butt on the seat...or trying to stretch and reach a few and either keep your hand pushing on the seat, or HURRY HURRY HURRY and get it before it dies! I'm gonna be a new man! Hey, thanks everyone...I can't say enough about how much I've learned on here over the years, this is a GREAT forum, and everyone on here that I've communicated with has been A+++-Number-One! Here's a blurry pic...I KNOW there are many out there that can benefit from this. There's a lot of PZ's popping up around here, and I SURELY understand why...it is, in MY opinion, the finest, most sturdily-built, most comfortable Z I've ever been on....and I've been on a lot. I like my Exmark 60, and I'm sure the New Gens are even nicer than mine is, but there's just NO COMPARISON to this PZ. And at the price, compared to an Exmark of the same size and exact price, $8400, 27 HP, and an Exmark with a 29, $9400! Compared to a 34 Kawi....Brother, with a mulching kit like I have (and wouldn't be without)...well, there's just no comparison in my opinion. I LOVE the thing...it's a pure pleasure to operate. Thanks again everyone...you're the Shiznit!
-David Innis

willowick
10-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Wow, condolences to you and your family for your loss...

StihlMechanic
10-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I am unfamiliar with Husqavarna. Most seat switches can be jumped with a jumper made from 14 gauge wire and two male spade connectors. JD and some others look complex, but all you have to do is unplug them to eliminate them from the safety interlock. I have a grabber for debris but still I jumped the switch to save time on my toro z.

JimQ
10-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice work David. Looks like that will do the trick.

For what it's worth, I have mine bypassed too. :)

Q

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I am unfamiliar with Husqavarna. Most seat switches can be jumped with a jumper made from 14 gauge wire and two male spade connectors. JD and some others look complex, but all you have to do is unplug them to eliminate them from the safety interlock. I have a grabber for debris but still I jumped the switch to save time on my toro z.

Yeah. I know, Stihl...read above...been there, done that. Husq's are different. Better get familiar with the PZ...trust me, you'll like it!
-David

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Wow, condolences to you and your family for your loss...

It's a Long, Hard road you SURELY don't want to go down...trust me on that. I worked in the Funeral Business for 9 years, but I NEVER imagined how hard it would be on me to lose a child...especially your only one. I appreciate it...Here's a pic of his marker...sorry, I GOTTA post it...seems to help keep his memory alive. It haunts me EVERY second of EVERY day...it just won't leave me alone. Peace.......
-David

Ridin' Green
10-20-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm glad that someone else mentioned your loss, because I feel the same way they do. I can only imagine. My sincere condolences bro.

I'm glad that you got the thing figured out, because getting on and off that many times is major PITA. I am pretty good at bypassing Deere's tractor seat switches, but I haven't figured out my Deere ZTR yet. All that on/off crap really takes its toll on the PTO clutch.

I wish I were closer to you. I'd be happy to give you a hand (in reference to your "any takers?" comment).:)

Federal Lawn Company
10-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm glad that someone else mentioned your loss, because I feel the same way they do. I can only imagine. My sincere condolences bro.

I'm glad that you got the thing figured out, because getting on and off that many times is major PITA. I am pretty good at bypassing Deere's tractor seat switches, but I haven't figured out my Deere ZTR yet. All that on/off crap really takes its toll on the PTO clutch.

I wish I were closer to you. I'd be happy to give you a hand (in reference to your "any takers?" comment).:)

If I had any enemies, which I don't, I wouldn't wish it on ANYONE. It's utterly life-shattering. (Suicide) Yeah, I have to weedeat EVERY marker, every other cut (2 cuts a month, one with trimming)..and I DEMAND NOTHING be left on the Granite. I put 3 guys out there for 2 days...till dark...and if I finish cutting in time, I help finish the markers, then I trim all the perimeters and Mausoleum, etc. myself. You'd learn to hate me when I told you it was time for Gethsemane! It's enought to make you throw up in the yard *snicker*! NO ONE rides a mower except me...I don't trust anyone around the Bronze. No one rides a mower except me, ANYWHERE, matter of fact. It's a Job...I guarantee, and I have two more cemeteries besides this one. Regards to you all......
David Innis

dahammer
10-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Hose clamps work well for holding those buttons down and they make it easy to undo, if you were to ever decide to enable them again (like when you sell it).

Federal Lawn Company
10-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Hose clamps work well for holding those buttons down and they make it easy to undo, if you were to ever decide to enable them again (like when you sell it).

I would bet that a hose clamp would prevent the switch from snapping back into the seat frame.

All_Toro_4ME
10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Federal: sorry for your loss man... What is that statue in the pic on page 2 of the dog? Was the dog taxidermied? Hope all goes well for you.

Federal Lawn Company
10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Federal: sorry for your loss man... What is that statue in the pic on page 2 of the dog? Was the dog taxidermied? Hope all goes well for you.

It's a Rottie statue we found...we STILL have the dog...Max...he was Brad's buddy...amazingly enough, he's 15 years old. Getting thin, but still clear-eyed and alert as well. I dread the day, though, when he leaves us...he's like our last link, ya know? Thanks, Bro...I appreciate it.

dahammer
10-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I would bet that a hose clamp would prevent the switch from snapping back into the seat frame.

Yep, but you can usually lay it underneath the seat or tape it up somewhere out of the way. There is no reason for it to be in the seat since it's non-functional.