PDA

View Full Version : belt or hydro

moneyclass
10-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Getting into a landscaping biz and am probably going to go with a walk behind to get started....should i invest my money into a belt driven or hydro?

And was thinking of buying cub cadet....any opinions on that brand?

Jay Ray
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
If you will be mowing flat or nearly flat ground with average obstacles, belt is the most cost effective, jmo. But there will probably be some disagreement on this. You learn to mow patterns where you seldom back up.

For belts slipping in the rain there is belt dressing, but not if it rains like Seattle.

For ditch banks, embankments, and some hills belt will work you to death, and for these hydro is way better than belt, and better than rider. But hydro is not that much less money than a Z with the same deck.

Don't know anything about CC except I have an old CC garden tractor I like.

jsslawncare
10-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I run two belt driven mowers but, I want a hydro. and he's right about the rain.

moneyclass
10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah so many people say when it rains having a belt drive SUCKS lol. Im getting scared about that and probably going to have to spend a few more bucks for the hydro.

I think in the long run ill be happier and itll be a better investment.

sealcutter
10-20-2011, 10:33 PM
My first belt unit and my first rain storm I will never forget, I couldn't get my mower on the trailer. They do have a place and I still have one and it works great when it's dry out.

Jay Ray
10-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Carry a small come along or small portable winch and rigging that can pull from the front of the trailer. Also if you stick a Z, it will not tear the lawn up as bad as when pulling it out with the truck drivetrain.

With luck there's a tree or post nearby and with a come along or 24v. Pullzall and the truck don't have to go on the lawn.

lawnpropm
10-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Get the best that you an afford. But keep in mind if you go ahead with the hydro you will have a machine that you can mow any type of property flat, hills, ditches, while raining. But if you go with a belt drive and find that it has limited uses and a big headache it may be hard to get rid of.
Posted via Mobile Device

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone. My mind is already made going hydro. I didnt know belt was that bad.

Cub cadet a good mower? They have a 52" hydro with a reasonable price.