PDA

View Full Version : 2 more weeks after Friday(EOW)

williams lcm
10-20-2011, 04:24 PM
After this week I will mow my regular schedule for 2 more weeks then EOW. I want to time it right to have Thanksgiving week off. Cant wait.

Patriot Services
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Already started a few this week. With the cooler night temps coming I think things are going to drop way off now.
Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
It has slowed down considerably on the coast of SC. Time to catch up on my pruning.
Posted via Mobile Device

stickleylawncare
10-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Weve got several yards that we will start EOW for sure next week. Several yards even today were more wind clean up (peat moss/ palm fronds, etc) than mowing. Finally! :drinkup:

Florida Gardener
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I already started EOW on Bahia 2 weeks ago and St. Aug i prob could start nov 1, but i will go to nov 15, then go EOW on St. Aug. The thing I am happiest about is the plants and weeds slowing down.

billslawn89
10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
I already started EOW on Bahia 2 weeks ago and St. Aug i prob could start nov 1, but i will go to nov 15, then go EOW on St. Aug. The thing I am happiest about is the plants and weeds slowing down.

same here, but i always make sure i am working the week of the holidays to make sure my clients properties are looking good and cleaned up. week of thanksgiving, i work a day ahead to have thanksgiving day off.

GainesvilleLawnscaping
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't think I'm as excited as you guys are. This is our first full winter in business so I'm working my butt off trying to find some clean ups and new customers to keep my top guys busy all month. I've had a hell of a time finding dependable guys and the last thing I want to do is lose the 3 I have now because I can't get them enough hours.

Florida Gardener
10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't think I'm as excited as you guys are. This is our first full winter in business so I'm working my butt off trying to find some clean ups and new customers to keep my top guys busy all month. I've had a hell of a time finding dependable guys and the last thing I want to do is lose the 3 I have now because I can't get them enough hours.

Do you service people per cut?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-20-2011, 08:36 PM

Things slow way down here on the maint side of the business....so given your location....I would assume you would have to find a heck amount of clean ups....and I would think most folks would wait until spring if they have not done so now as they will start thinking about thanksgiving and Christmas and all the expenses associated with them. Good luck though...I hope it works out for you.

zturncutter
10-20-2011, 08:45 PM

You must have built your business very fast to need 3 full time the first year, don't bury yourself giving them busy work. Remember you can rotate them on unemployment one at a time when you need to in the winter, it will increase your rate but is cheaper than keeping someone on you don't need,

unkownfl
10-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Better get some holiday lighting or something... Sprinkler repair, mulch, tree work to get you through the winter. Hell I took on painting about 500ft of wooden fence last year to keep my guys working. I'm not paying anyone unemployment if I can help it.

Keith
10-20-2011, 11:37 PM
The thing I am happiest about is the plants and weeds slowing down.

I goofed. I was "chemically" maintaining some of my hedges and backed off on the growth regulator in July. They are growing more right now than they did all year :laugh:

GainesvilleLawnscaping
10-20-2011, 11:42 PM
We've done pretty well in our first year. This week was our 1yr anniversary and we're over 150k in sales thus far for the 2011 months. We have a few larger accounts that take us full days so right now we only need to fill about 7-10 days of work a month to be able to get them 30-40 hours each during the off months. We normally get a few a month, as we're willing to do some of the uglier property clean ups that the other local companies aren't wanting to touch. I think we'll be OK. We had been getting away with two full time guys and some part timers, but promoted one of our part timers to full time last month because we needed more hours out of him.

zturncutter
10-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Damn, 52 degrees this morning, growth will be slowing down now.

Patriot Services
10-21-2011, 04:09 PM
It was the first one shirt day today. Started with a sweatshirt. Hardly any growth even on the irrigated yards. Got a ton of detail work done this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Lots of driveby's today ....even on well cared for lawns - nothing. We did some detail work in the beds....made being out worth us getting up in the morning...but overall ...it was a big waste. Tomorrow should be interested because they are some of my most cared for lawns.....interested to see what happens.

williams lcm
10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
I did have growth on the lawns . Not much but just enough to still cut. I had leaves to mulch up and driveways to blow off. I just dont want to get those dreaded calls. " where are you at....I did not see you this morning. It happens every year. People this you are slacking off.

Florida Gardener
10-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Growth on St Aug has def slowed down for sure. I am fertilizing everyone this week, but I don't expect a lot of growth, just more of a greenup. It has been high 60s-low 70s as the low and barely eclipsing 80 as the high with very low humidity. I imagine you C. and N. Fl guys have had even cooler temps.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
High's have been about the same but the low's have been running mid 50's, 56 last night.

Landscape Poet
10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I did have growth on the lawns . Not much but just enough to still cut. I had leaves to mulch up and driveways to blow off. I just dont want to get those dreaded calls. " where are you at....I did not see you this morning. It happens every year. People this you are slacking off.

Not me - most of the subdivisions here are new enough that the tree's leaves do not create that big of a mess. I explain to them from the start that if the turf does not need cut....I am not sticking a big mower on it and running over it...I did that a couple years ago and just had enough of that as it was wasting my time and gas and running overly perfectly happy grass just cause is kind of abuse if you ask me:laugh:

We only mowed 2 lawns so far this week and I must of been cursed as I did just get a text from a client who has zoysia asking if we were coming this week as I have been writing this. I texted back remember I do not cut turf that does not need cut, your shrubs look good, beds are in great shape, did you need something addressed. The answer was no but could I edge the jasmine by the mailbox next week....OK:walking:

Now because we only mowed 2 lawns does not mean we did not address issues on full service accounts that needed something addressed but we have been working on putting things to rest little by little over the last couple of weeks looking forward to this. Add to this that many feel the need to to put Halloween decor all over there lawn (which means I don' t move that crap as I am not being compensated too)....I have a feeling this week will be full of lots of driving by the properties and waving:waving:

Landscape Poet
10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Growth on St Aug has def slowed down for sure. I am fertilizing everyone this week, but I don't expect a lot of growth, just more of a greenup. It has been high 60s-low 70s as the low and barely eclipsing 80 as the high with very low humidity. I imagine you C. and N. Fl guys have had even cooler temps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep things are slowing way down....life is getting better all the timeThumbs Up

Florida Gardener
10-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Yep things are slowing way down....life is getting better all the timeThumbs Up

Im not 100% about this, but I remember last October being warmer and more humid....

In any case, trimming has slowed down a lot, and by mid nov, everyone will be EOW, except for 3 homes.

My new property that I picked up has been great. We spent the first 2 weeks cleaning up and trimming ALL the hedges. This month, we have done very little trimming and the past 2 weeks have been all extras from re-sodding a small section, 3 days of cleanup stuff, filled in bare areas with plants today, and doing ~900 new guinnea impatiens this saturday along with an 8 ft. OA podocarpus "pillar."

After we put the impatiens in I will take some pics of the place as it is looking really good.

I really hope, wish, and have a good feeling that I will pick up 1-2 more of these this winter while these types are in town. That will keep me busy all winter and give my employee enough hours.....we shall see.

stickleylawncare
10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Today almost felt like a waste of time loading everything up and headed out. Just mow in my old neighborhood on Tuesdays and only two yards needed full mowing. Instead we just did the tedious hand cleaning various things, tidying up stuff. I think it will be a long weekend to enjoy Halloween with.

unkownfl
10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Last year I went on Vacation on the 11th and had no issues taking a week off and starting EOW. I'm guessing thinks slowed down later this year. I have to mow everything this week even if its just taking a 1/2 inch off as I'll be gone next week.

Patriot Services
10-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Last year I went on Vacation on the 11th and had no issues taking a week off and starting EOW. I'm guessing thinks slowed down later this year. I have to mow everything this week even if its just taking a 1/2 inch off as I'll be gone next week.

My plan in 5 days. Then off to Buffalo for a few days of deer hunting.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
My plan in 5 days. Then off to Buffalo for a few days of deer hunting.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm outa here Friday morning for a Maine hunting trip myself......can't wait!
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
10-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Last cut today and then EOW cutting grass; Have sod jobs lined up; annuals to install; mulch; renovate & replace hedge plantings; general clean ups; irrigation wet checks & upgrades; looks like we'll be busy until at least the middle of December when I get my knee replacement on 12/15 :cry:.

I'll have to lay off a couple of seasonal workers tomorrow, 1 week severance pay, don't come to work Monday :nono:. I'll remain at 1/2 staff and a four day work week until May 2012 if I'm still kicking.

Off season is a great time to get all the properties in AAA+ condition, make our presence known while everybody else is off. It's also a great time to catch customers, property managers (ask to bid for new business) and neighbors to chit chat and develop relationships. It'll be an opportunity to tear down the machines, catch up on maintenance & get everything ready for the coming season.

We'll be sending out seasonal thank you cards (magnetized calenders) and gift cards to the commercial property managers. Not much time to goof off for us, we'll take some but we ain't gonna coast; we'll be working to make 2012 a spectacular year. I'm betting Valley Crest, US Lawns and the other major players will be out there looking to take food off everybody's plate.

Florida Gardener
10-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Last cut today and then EOW cutting grass; Have sod jobs lined up; annuals to install; mulch; renovate & replace hedge plantings; general clean ups; irrigation wet checks & upgrades; looks like we'll be busy until at least the middle of December when I get my knee replacement on 12/15 :cry:.

I'll have to lay off a couple of seasonal workers tomorrow, 1 week severance pay, don't come to work Monday :nono:. I'll remain at 1/2 staff and a four day work week until May 2012 if I'm still kicking.

Off season is a great time to get all the properties in AAA+ condition, make our presence known while everybody else is off. It's also a great time to catch customers, property managers (ask to bid for new business) and neighbors to chit chat and develop relationships. It'll be an opportunity to tear down the machines, catch up on maintenance & get everything ready for the coming season.

We'll be sending out seasonal thank you cards (magnetized calenders) and gift cards to the commercial property managers. Not much time to goof off for us, we'll take some but we ain't gonna coast; we'll be working to make 2012 a spectacular year. I'm betting Valley Crest, US Lawns and the other major players will be out there looking to take food off everybody's plate.
I'm with you, winter is a great time to try and pick up new business and get everything in order for next season. My truck and trailer need a full detail which I intend on doing my first "off week." I also will be studying for and taking the ISA exam. I'm hoping and praying to pick up 1-2 more 1-K+/mo. resi's this winter...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-27-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm with you, winter is a great time to try and pick up new business and get everything in order for next season. My truck and trailer need a full detail which I intend on doing my first "off week." I also will be studying for and taking the ISA exam. I'm hoping and praying to pick up 1-2 more 1-K+/mo. resi's this winter...
Posted via Mobile Device

My area or town being more of a wintering ground for Snow Birds has big fluctuation in population and marketing potential. There are two times of the year when sales go wild. Right now is one of them and I picking up several new customers with out advertisement. As the snow birds come back they are unhappy with their yards and other services and start switching service providers. So from Sept 15th to Nov 15th is prime marketing time. Thanksgiving to Super Bowl People are too busy buying Xmas or paying for Xmas to be thinking about Yard Care. Then again from Feb 15th to April 15th snow birds are getting ready to Fly north and are looking for service providers.

To me the fall Snow Bird Spike in sales is the best quality Customer. These are the Snow Birds who want year round service. Spring snow birds sales for the most part only want summer service and quit you in the fall when they return and look for a new guy next summer.

Florida Gardener
10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Welp, this is my last week of weekly. Goingt to cut, trim hedges, and spray weeds on all properties this week, and then it's EOW except 3 homes. We actually had some rain fri, sat morning, and tonight and are supposed to get more tomorrow. I don't think it's enough to push a lot of growth though.

I hopefully can pick up enough side jobs to keep busy this winter and bring more $$ in......

Congrats FL guys, we did it, EOW!!!

jvanvliet
11-01-2011, 06:03 AM
First cut of the EOW today :laugh:. We were going to cut yesterday but there was too much rain & soggy ground.

All the areas we prepped for turf are now showing signs of life as are all the planting beds :cry:. We'll have to treat them again. We've been using a combination of Glyco & "Knockout" by Helena Chemicals, it's comparable to Scythe only much cheaper. We get a total burndown in about 36 hours. Home owners are always impressed when they see their weeds gone in about a day.

Out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for New Guinea Impatients and 18 count flats of regular impatients? We are seeing New Guinea's for $1.10 in 4" pots and 18 count flats of regulars @ $9.00. Since they overdeveloped West of where we are, it's hard to find a whole sale nursery. They all seem to have gone retail with maybe two exceptions.

Time to go: :waving:

Patriot Services
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm in Buffalo!!! Bambi season is open!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm in Buffalo!!! Bambi season is open!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

How you gonna find Bambi under all that snow :laugh:?