PDA

View Full Version : Late Aeration

lawnman4
10-20-2011, 06:10 PM
I have a customer that I just picked up that is set on aerating this fall. My thinking is that its too late. There is a frost warning for tonight here and then it is supposed to warm up with lows in the 40s for the next week with rain chance next Wed. I don't know if the cold temps will hurt after aerating or should I just wait and not do it?
Posted via Mobile Device

G. Ramey
10-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Did you overseed also or just aerate? What kind of grass is it?

lawnman4
10-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I haven't done any of it yet, was going to do it tomorrow if it won't kill any grass. And no overseeding. It's mostly tall fescue, I know its too late to overseed here by this time.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
hhmmm......

my information tells me it's never to late to aerate or overseed unless the ground is rock hard.

i know guys who have barely started aerating and overseeding.

we are doing tall fescue and kentucky blue.

lqmustang
10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Aerate away. I still have more aerating to do here in NE Ohio. You'll be fine.

lawnman4
10-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok thanks guys. I thought seeding should be done 6-8 weeks before frost though?
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
10-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I still have a solid week of aerating left, so you should be fine.

G. Ramey
10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm not that far from you. I aerated and overseeded a yard yesterday and I have three more to do next week. I think you can aerate anytime. As far as seed goes, I have heard of someone throwing seed on snow and it germinating when the ground warmed up. I didn't see it with my own eyes though.

bigslick7878
10-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Ideally you want to aerate before a heavy growth period, but it won't hurt if you are overseeding as well. Worst case you have a little dormant seeding and they sprout in spring as the lawn fills back in.

Tell the customer to keep it watered twice a day and you probably will get most of it germinating this year.

grassman177
10-20-2011, 11:47 PM
this is true, but i dont do it past mid october usually

cpllawncare
10-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Just got finished aerating and overseeding a yard today! We'll see! plan on hitting it with some more seed in the spring!

1966vette
11-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I over seeded a few areas of my Kokomo, IN lawn w/ a mixture of 80% Rye / 20% KBG 10-22-11.

It has taken 10 days for initial germination & I'm still seeing additional germinating as of y/day. I expect germination will continue for the next few days depending of the amount of sun each area receives.

The weather in central IN has been awesome for the last few days 55* in the day. You can work outside wearing a short sleeve shirt if the sun is not being blocked by a cloud.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone seeded this late in the season & had good results?

2. Is there anything I can due to speed up the growing process besides praying the warm weather continues? Maybe, applying liquid fertilizer, thin layer of straw, ect?

Thanks!:drinkup:
Andy

RigglePLC
11-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Good question, Andy. Can new seed be speeded up in fall cold?

Is anybody willing to experiment? Tell us what happened. Get photos if possible. Keep a soil thermometer handy.

A few of the big-budget athletic people try to do this from time to time. Perhaps they will chime in.

Can you water with hot water to warm the soil?

Do you have a solar pool cover? Might help, especailly to prevent soil heat loss at night. Black plastic on a sunny day? If it didn't kill the grass--it should warm it up, (but then you would have to switch to pool cover or clear plastic next day to give the new seedlings some sunlight).

Did you pregerminate the seed?

Fertilizer? Good idea; might help; easy to do.

Five years ago a company did late fall (Oct 19) seeding for one of my customers. It was due to a weather delay. The customer was not too happy. Grass was a half-inch tall by Thanksgiving in the warmer spots. Maybe an inch tall by Christmas. Not much different when snow melted in March. We fed it heavy, and it finally took off in mid-April. And we got the crabgrass control on in early May. It looked excellent by the 4th of July.

americanlawn
11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
We picked up 3 customers last Friday. 3412, 3416, 3420 East XX Court (3 lawns in a row).

Reason: Scotts Lawn Care "aerated" all 3 of these lawns a couple weeks ago and the plugs were merely about 1/2 inch at best. Yep -- the customers/neighbors noticed, and they wondered why aeration companies were out aerating during one of the driest autumns in history when soils were rock hard with cracks in the ground. ($$$$) All three of these homeowners do NOT plan to pay for their aeration bills and are canceling future service with Scotts.

With about 200 aerations still needing to be done, "we waited" (taking the chance of receiving the needed rain to allow us to "properly" aerate lawns or else lose thousands of dollars of valuable income).

But last week the rain came, so now we are currently pulling 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch plugs. We expect even more rain on Tuesday. Deepest plugs we ever pulled were in early December (3 inches). Air temps/ soil temps have nothing to do regarding aeration quality/plugs. Frost?...Who cares? 28 degrees in the morning. 48 degrees in the afternoon. Full sun areas = 78 degrees. To me, this is a no-brainer. I might add that our land grant university concurs.

rsvp - anyone

p.s. Scotts Lawn Care used a Lawn Solutuions walk-behind on these properties. We use Ryan tow-behinds (with John Deere) and TURFCO XT5 walk-behinds.

I have a customer that I just picked up that is set on aerating this fall. My thinking is that its too late. There is a frost warning for tonight here and then it is supposed to warm up with lows in the 40s for the next week with rain chance next Wed. I don't know if the cold temps will hurt after aerating or should I just wait and not do it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
11-06-2011, 10:15 PM
We picked up 3 customers last Friday. 3412, 3416, 3420 East XX Court (3 lawns in a row).

Reason: Scotts Lawn Care "aerated" all 3 of these lawns a couple weeks ago and the plugs were merely about 1/2 inch at best. Yep -- the customers/neighbors noticed, and they wondered why aeration companies were out aerating during one of the driest autumns in history when soils were rock hard with cracks in the ground. ($$$$) All three of these homeowners do NOT plan to pay for their aeration bills and are canceling future service with Scotts.

With about 200 aerations still needing to be done, "we waited" (taking the chance of receiving the needed rain to allow us to "properly" aerate lawns or else lose thousands of dollars of valuable income).

But last week the rain came, so now we are currently pulling 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch plugs. We expect even more rain on Tuesday. Deepest plugs we ever pulled were in early December (3 inches). Air temps/ soil temps have nothing to do regarding aeration quality/plugs. Frost?...Who cares? 28 degrees in the morning. 48 degrees in the afternoon. Full sun areas = 78 degrees. To me, this is a no-brainer. I might add that our land grant university concurs.

rsvp - anyone

p.s. Scotts Lawn Care used a Lawn Solutuions walk-behind on these properties. We use Ryan tow-behinds (with John Deere) and TURFCO XT5 walk-behinds.

Glad too hear that you would aerate only when weather conditions are correct - as opposed to a calendar routine that is similar to Scott's 4-7point program...

BTW, do you really think that the machine is actually more important than, Timing?...

jfoxtrot9
11-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Glad too hear that you would aerate only when weather conditions are correct - as opposed to a calendar routine that is similar to Scott's 4-7point program...

BTW, do you really think that the machine is actually more important than, Timing?...

Obviously there are those that really believe the machine is the biggerst factor. (although he had already explained that the ground was rock hard lacking any rain...:hammerhead:)

I aerated from late august up through this past week and have been pulling 2 1/2- 4" plugs the entire season with...gasp! A Lawn Solutions walk behind! I know it's crazy. (but I can prove it) And I don't always use all the weights because they just weren't necessary.

Unbelievable...