PDA

View Full Version : grass problem

jsack12
10-20-2011, 07:33 PM
so i just seeded my yard a couple weeks ago and it looks great so much better, but i have a problem, the grass seed in my back yard didnt hardly come up, the grass there takes forever to grow and has been like that for the past few years and is starting to then out. there is alot of trees in the area and i dont know if thats whats causing it to not grow or if i need to add some nitrogen or what, any ideas would be great

Jimslawncareservice
10-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Soil test would be number 1. If you don't how to do that, or what to do after that, call a respected professional in your area to help would be number 2
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-20-2011, 10:30 PM
so i just seeded my yard a couple weeks ago and it looks great so much better, but i have a problem, the grass seed in my back yard didnt hardly come up, the grass there takes forever to grow and has been like that for the past few years and is starting to then out. there is alot of trees in the area and i dont know if thats whats causing it to not grow or if i need to add some nitrogen or what, any ideas would be great

Lots of trees could be a couple of things right off the top of my head. Is the area getting enough light for the turf selected or is it shaded out?

Have the soil PH tested....your local country extension should be able to do this for you accurately for a few dollars.....dependent on the tree type....the soils PH could of been altered by the leaf droppings etc.

jsack12
10-22-2011, 07:56 PM
im planning on putting down lots of nitrogen throughout my yard in the spring and seed again next fall

Smallaxe
10-22-2011, 09:41 PM
im planning on putting down lots of nitrogen throughout my yard in the spring and seed again next fall

Growing grass under trees can be tricky... What kind of soil is there? Sandy or clay? and what kind of trees do you have? How close are they and what kind of shade do you have?

jsack12
10-23-2011, 04:58 AM
clay, pine trees, close and is shaded at least 80% of the time

Smallaxe
10-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Sounds like worst case scenario... Keeping the pine needles cleaned up as they fall will help... getting the ground between the trees either worked up or filled in will help...definately water sensibly and fertilize lightly... once in the fall and maybe once in June if its growing well... cut it long and always return the clippings to the turf... try poa supina as your main grass, if you want to risk a lot of money or put down new seed every Spring, heavy on annual ryegrass until the stuff starts to establish...

If you insist on the weed killer and crabgrass preventer in your 4-6 apps of fertilizer, you'll never make it happen... Meantime I would look at the pines and decide what you would like to see them as 20 years from now...

Pines really shouldn't be as close together as many of them are in residential areas... I'm in an area where trees are worshipped and they are fighting back with constant property damage by snapping off 60-80 ft. in the air...

jsack12
10-23-2011, 01:29 PM
alright ill do that, i def need to put some crabgrass preventer down early spring