PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Diesel Mower

ghunter502
10-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I am considering switching all of my exmark ZTR's over to diesel machines not sure if there are some of you out there that are running exmark's that are diesel. I am looking for the pros and cons of the diesel over gas? Thanks

A+Grounds
10-20-2011, 09:28 PM
not exmark but same idea
http://grasshoppermower.com/diesel.php

ghunter502
10-20-2011, 09:35 PM
not exmark but same idea
http://grasshoppermower.com/diesel.php

Thanks actually looked at this today have had a grasshopper demo mower for 3 days now just wanted to compare the exmark to the grasshopper.

StanWilhite
10-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I am considering switching all of my exmark ZTR's over to diesel machines not sure if there are some of you out there that are running exmark's that are diesel. I am looking for the pros and cons of the diesel over gas? Thanks

If I was you I think I'd do an internet search on "diesel engines versus gas engines" and start reading. There will be plenty info to keep you busy for a while! You can also vary the search and read more.

A+Grounds
10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks actually looked at this today have had a grasshopper demo mower for 3 days now just wanted to compare the exmark to the grasshopper.

25 or 30hp?

ghunter502
10-20-2011, 10:27 PM
25 or 30hp? 25 hp grasshopper and a 30hp grasshopper would proably be a 25hp exmark 60"

ghunter502
10-20-2011, 10:35 PM
If I was you I think I'd do an internet search on "diesel engines versus gas engines" and start reading. There will be plenty info to keep you busy for a while! You can also vary the search and read more. I have been reading alot just trying to find out from some people who have owned exmark diesels to find out their opinions other than a website.

StanWilhite
10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
I have been reading alot just trying to find out from some people who have owned exmark diesels to find out their opinions other than a website.

Oh, ok. I thought you were just asking about the basic differences (pros and cons) of diesel versus gas engines.
Stan

KRookey
10-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I own several Exmark's and also have the sister mower to Exmark. I have a Toro Z-Master diesel 60" with a 23hp Kubota. I can't give a 100% accurate scope on the exmark diesel, but I own and have owned lazer z's and have many of exmark walk-behinds. As far as the diesel goes compared to cons, I will give my humble opinion for what its worth. Diesel advantages--Fuel efficiency, torque, heavy-duty, resale value, reduced downtime due to heavy-duty design, diesel engine life typically much longer. Diesel disadvantages--Upfront costs compared to gasoline powered units, diesel now costs more per gallon than regular gas, parts are more expensive, parts are typically harder to get because many dealers do not stock as many diesel parts, lack of qualified mechanics of diesel engines. Hope this helps. Would I buy another diesel--absolutely, but....given the excellent build quality of many gasoline commercial engines, it would definately be a difficult choice.

DieselHolic
11-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Kubota, nuff said. no but really, fuel savings, power, reliability and longevity.

ffemt1271
11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
i am in the sae situation, will be swapping to diesel engines inthe spring. I have ran exmarks for 9 years now, but decided o take a look at all Mfg's and see who has the best diesel mower., after GIE EXPO, i narrowed it down to exmark and grasshopper. Both have the kubota diesel, but grasshopper is a drop-in power plant from kubota, meaning entire engine, radiator etc., whereas exmark is engine only--they add thier radiator and other stuff. also one thing to remember id the diesel exmark has the triton deck, and theRep at GIE EXPO told me thay have no plans to change it back to the ultra cut because it would cost too much to re-engineer it.

ToroLandscaper
11-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I have a Toro Zmaster with 23hp Kubota Diesel, great mower and powerful. The biggest cons I have found is weight and the expense of the parts. If I were running fleets of mowers, with employees behind the mowers then I would not even think about buying diesel, they are too expensive to put employees on and there is too much room for error with them, which can get costly...very costly. I have owned a bunch of ZTRs over the years, and my recommendation, get a gas zero turn with a sufficient amount of HP on it (27hp-30hp), and don't go power crazy, because then you are just wasting money on fuel.

Simplicity is key when it comes to employee ran machines.

If you are going to be the one behind the diesel, go for it, they are "fun" machines to operate because of the power and torque.

If you are going to have employees running them, I would suggest a ZTR with a common gas engine on it (Kohler 27hp, 30hp, etc), because parts will be cheaper and easier to get...