PDA

View Full Version : Deck belts at Auto Parts store?

AderholtLawnCare
10-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I searched but did not see the answer to my question so I'm sorry if this is common knowledge or if the answer is posted on the website.

My question is regarding deck belts and if they can be purchased at an auto parts store. I seem to remember reading that they can be and was wondering if anyone has ever purchased one from a local auto parts store. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

93Chevy
10-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Probably depends on the auto part store.

AderholtLawnCare
10-20-2011, 10:03 PM
What about Autozone, Advance, Napa? I have quick access to most major retail chains locally. Thanks for the reply.

Mikegyver
10-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes you can if you know exactly what you need before you walk into the store.
mike

StihlMechanic
10-20-2011, 10:04 PM
You will be wasting money on automotive belts. OPE belt are made with Kevlar to last longer. That is why they cost more.

93Chevy
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Not to sounds like a jag off, but why don't you just call them and ask? The worst they can say is no...probably.

AderholtLawnCare
10-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks MCC. Just the length and width of the belt?

Good point 93C.

Thank you Stihl, I was afraid of that. I've bought a few at $100 a piece or so and was trying to save myself some money. I'd probably end up losing money if the auto belts are not of the same quality of the OPE belts.

knox gsl
10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
You will be wasting money on automotive belts. OPE belt are made with Kevlar to last longer. That is why they cost more.

Correct, you can get them there but they will wear and break fast.

Jimslawncareservice
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I have had the best luck at car quest or fleet farm of my dealer isn't open, doesn't have it, or is a brand that is sold out of area. Tried auto zone. They don't keep crap and the belts break fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

AderholtLawnCare
10-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Green Star. Looks like I'll be buying the more expensive belt. Thanks for the help guys.

StihlMechanic
10-20-2011, 10:24 PM
There are cheaper belts out there. Stens and Rotary are a few aftermarket companies that make belts. The fit is close, not perfect. You either need the OEM part number or the with and length. Dont think for a minute you will get an accurate measurement from an old worn out broken belt. Most commercial belts are 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch in width.

cvcook
10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I use the Gates Green belts from Autozone for my Walker, lasts much longer that stock ones. tried to get some for my Lazer, but they didn't carry any long enough

AderholtLawnCare
10-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks again Stihl. I can't find specs on the manufacturer's website so I guess I'll just buy the original belt.

CV, I'll check into those belts once I snap the next one. I'll make sure to measure the belt before putting it on the mower so I can try the Gates belts and see how they work for me.

Lbilawncare
10-20-2011, 11:31 PM
I buy a lot of belts from NAPA and O'Reilly. Most belts are either A or B and the length. An A61 belt is narrow and a B99 is wider. Stay away from Gates belts, they are cheap because they are not made as strong.

cvcook
10-21-2011, 12:59 AM
I buy a lot of belts from NAPA and O'Reilly. Most belts are either A or B and the length. An A61 belt is narrow and a B99 is wider. Stay away from Gates belts, they are cheap because they are not made as strong.

That's funny, Gates Green last more than twice as long as OEM's on my Walker........geuss they're not made as good in your neck of the woods!

dfor
10-21-2011, 06:47 AM
I buy belts from Napa usually. Just tell them it is for agricultural use, and they will give you what you need. No problems here with their belts.

mowers1
10-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

mowers1
10-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Check the angle cut on the v of the belt, most auto and ag belts dont match exactly the pulleys V angle.
Most will slip more in wet conditions or burn out if pushed too hard in deep gras. If you have recurring belt problems I have seen the pulleys and idlers older mowers so worn that they will let the belts slip and chatter shortening thier life.
Also check for wear on the idler arm pivots this will make the belt path ride on the edges of spindle pulleys.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
10-21-2011, 09:04 PM
my local carquest stocks the green belts [gates in a carquest package ]

metro36
10-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Napa and Carquest stock most belt sizes. I just tell them its for a mower and they give me a kevlar belt. Much cheaper than the dealer and they last just as long. I usually take the belts off when new and go to and get spares to have around.

Lbilawncare
10-22-2011, 12:50 AM
That's funny, Gates Green last more than twice as long as OEM's on my Walker........geuss they're not made as good in your neck of the woods!

My apologies, the Gates belts we have used were not Green (which I'm assuming is a wrapped belt and much more durable) It doesn't matter to me that the belts are only $10 if I have to change them more often.

corey4671
10-22-2011, 12:55 AM
my everride dealer stocks Gates belts but it has an Everride part number. I just go buy the same Gates belt at O'Reilly. Much cheaper and closer.

cvcook
10-22-2011, 12:55 AM
My apologies, the Gates belts we have used were not Green (which I'm assuming is a wrapped belt and much more durable) It doesn't matter to me that the belts are only $10 if I have to change them more often.

No problem

hackitdown
10-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I just bought some belts from www.vbelts4less.com. Time will tell if they hold up. They were very cheap.

I cross referenced the OEM belt to an Oregon part #. Oregon gave the length and width. Then since I knew the size, I had unlimited options.

Patriot Services
10-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I buy deck belts from Napa, the green ones. Half the price of "factory" replacements. Haven't had a single failure this season. I use regular automotives on the drive system of the wb. It used to have the extra wide doubles on the drive but now I just use 2 per side of dayco top cog style.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-22-2011, 12:21 PM
There is a big difference in quality of belts just like most other things. If you're comparing the same quality belts though, it doesn't matter where you buy them.
Stan

rlitman
10-22-2011, 02:31 PM
I just bought some belts from www.vbelts4less.com. Time will tell if they hold up. They were very cheap.

I cross referenced the OEM belt to an Oregon part #. Oregon gave the length and width. Then since I knew the size, I had unlimited options.

Please follow up and tell us. :)
I've been looking for belts for my snowblower. Dealer wants like $30. Aftermarket from Pix are $20ish. These guys want around $7 for something in the size range I need (in kevlar).
Oh, and thanks for the suggestion to use Oregon as a cross reference! I'll have to try that.

Other than going with a kevlar belt, what else should I be looking for?

hackitdown
10-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Please follow up and tell us. :)
I've been looking for belts for my snowblower. Dealer wants like $30. Aftermarket from Pix are $20ish. These guys want around $7 for something in the size range I need (in kevlar).
Oh, and thanks for the suggestion to use Oregon as a cross reference! I'll have to try that.

Other than going with a kevlar belt, what else should I be looking for?

I bought 4 Kevlar (1/2" x 39")belts to replace the belt that runs the vac system on an Exmark. I paid $5.07 each, but $10.40 shipping. So I paid $30.68 for 4 belts. I bought 4 just to compensate for the $10 shipping charge. If I remember correctly, J Thomas wanted about $8 per belt, plus shipping. The dealer is around $16 I think, and it is a 20 minute drive each way (2 gallons of fuel...$7).

The Oregon version lasted about a year. We use the vacs 100% in the fall, so we will soon see about these cheap ones. It fits just like the Oregon, which fit just like the OEM. I don't know sh1t about belts, but there seems to be little risk in trying aftermarket.

Pennington Lawncare
10-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Dayco makes industrial belts that have worked great on my mowers and even long 5/8 belts are not much over $20.

chevy1968
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
PHow about a belt for the 2011 Pro predator that takes a 175 inch belt. Cost at dealor 103.00.

hackitdown
10-24-2011, 07:53 PM
PHow about a belt for the 2011 Pro predator that takes a 175 inch belt. Cost at dealor 103.00.

Width? Kevlar? Ribbed? OEM part number?

As an example, this is a non-kevlar 1/2" x 175:
http://www.vbelts4less.com/A-SECTION-WRAPPED-BELT-_p_12862.html

chevy1968
10-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Well that looks like it but i cant confirm that because the machine is at dealor with a recall issue. The part number is 4165618. If that is the belt with that price i really do like you.lol

hackitdown
10-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I can't find that part number anywhere except the Bobcat website. You will need to get the size info.

chevy1968
10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I know it can only be bought at dealor. I will get the sizes and get back to you. Thanks for your time

frostedunit
10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
To the OP, I've had great success with the Gates BX (ribbed) series and the Goodyear Gatorbacks. Been using them for 10 years on Lastec Articulators (Z's and pull behinds), a Land Pride 16' AFM, and PTO pumps on trucks. All run almost nonstop 8 hours a day and last a full year unless a stick gets up in there and breaks em.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
10-24-2011, 10:50 PM
At work (for air conditioners, but a belt is a belt) we've switched a number of units in continuous operation to AX and BX series belts. When a belt goes around a sheave that is a bit too small, it heats up, and the ribbed belts can go around much tighter bends without failing prematurely.
The down side, is that they don't work with a flat underside idler (like my snowblower).
Link belts can supposedly outlast ribbed belts, but they won't work with a backside idler (and they're WAY expensive).