PDA

View Full Version : Did it stop growing?

slemon
10-20-2011, 11:27 PM
I overseeded about 6 weeks ago with KBG/RYE mix. New seedlings seemed to be growing good especially in the spots that received plentiful sunshine. Some bare spots grew to about 1 1/2" and don't seem to be growing anymore. I applied started one week after seeding. We were having some really cold nights even some frost. Did they go into hibernation ir something?

White Gardens
10-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I overseeded about 6 weeks ago with KBG/RYE mix. New seedlings seemed to be growing good especially in the spots that received plentiful sunshine. Some bare spots grew to about 1 1/2" and don't seem to be growing anymore. I applied started one week after seeding. We were having some really cold nights even some frost. Did they go into hibernation ir something?

Yep. Or dormancy is a better terminology.

If you are getting consistent frost, then it's probably done. Just wait till spring, it will come in looking great.

slemon
10-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I guess I can blow out my sprinklers then?

Smallaxe
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
The tops will stop growing in new grass, even in the Spring, as the roots will continue to establish... it is best to not shut off the water until the last minute... I think we lost most of our Sept. seeding in a couple of places because they shut off the irrigation and no rain in Oct. again...

But remember the rule... deep soakings, but ONLY when needed... and of course fertilizer sitting on the surface encourages surface roots rather than deep roots...

slemon
10-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Last minute like extended periods of freezing temperatures? Forecast says 3 nights of 28 F. I was going to blow out my irrigation system but then decided to hold off as there will be more sunny dry weather. Today is 6 weeks since overseeding.