PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tire wear

Dixie Bluegrass
10-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Hey guys,
Have a 2002 Pace American 7x14 dual axle enclosed trailer with independent torsion suspension. I pulled one of the wheel drums off to check the bearing and it looks fine. But since then, my tire on that one wheel is wearing severely on one side. I have since tightened up the bearing nut but it still seems to wear on one side. Do I need to replace the bearing or is there something that I am missing?

Richard Martin
10-21-2011, 08:14 AM
If a wheel bearing were so loose that it would cause that type of tire wear then it would destroy the bearing. More than likely it had this problem before you messed with the bearing and you just never noticed before. Is there any adjustability in the suspension? This type of wear is usually a camber problem.

airsoft1779
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
If it was wearing like that one a car, then you would need to adjust the alignment of the wheel. Might try that and just check it's on right

vaacutabove
10-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Is it a new trailer or did you get the tire already on the rim bc they probably were not balanced from the start is there a metal wheel weight anywhere on the rim? If not and the bearing is good i would say this is it
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
10-21-2011, 09:31 PM
You have a bent axle.

Dixie Bluegrass
10-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I have had the trailer for nearly 5 years now. If it were a bent axle, the tire on the other side would also wear unevenly but there is not evidence of that. None of the tires has balance weights on them. The mechanic said that it would not matter. Also, I don't think you can adjust the suspension.
Looks like from your suggestions, I need to take this in to a trailer shop. It probably needs new brakes put on it too. Thanks for all your advice.

unkownfl
10-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I have had the trailer for nearly 5 years now. If it were a bent axle, the tire on the other side would also wear unevenly but there is not evidence of that. None of the tires has balance weights on them. The mechanic said that it would not matter. Also, I don't think you can adjust the suspension.
Looks like from your suggestions, I need to take this in to a trailer shop. It probably needs new brakes put on it too. Thanks for all your advice.

You can bend one side only on the axle. If you have normal tire wear on the other side its surely a bent axle. All of those torsion axles tend to bend pretty easily. Usually its the back axle because it sees the most weight because of placement of the bigger mower is in the back and of course it's furthest from the support of the hitch. Also, having the hitch to high will generate a lot of weight on the back axle. Check where the spindle goes into the vertical part of the axle. You could also have bent just the spindle but either way your going to need a new axle.

jsslawncare
10-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Again- You have a bent axle. You could have just bent it in the last couple of weeks. Run the trailer off the road, hit a pothole, curb anything. Most likely you have Dexter 3500lb axles, they are very weak, I think.

ed2hess
10-22-2011, 07:06 PM
I got several trailers and I have various kind of wear patterns and the bottom line for me is replace the tires yearly. I would rotote that tire on rim and forget it. Ain't no way to align these cheap trailers....find a cheap tire dealer.

Dixie Bluegrass
10-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Ok, I got a bent axle. Now that I need to get a new one which axle do you recommend? The tire wear is too severe to replace annually.

Marek
10-26-2011, 08:08 PM
You should do your brakes yourself, you can buy a new backing plate and everything for alot cheaper then taking it to someone. Its very easy to do only 2 wires and a few bolts and you will start with new magnets ,pads, everything.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey guys,
Have a 2002 Pace American 7x14 dual axle enclosed trailer with independent torsion suspension. I pulled one of the wheel drums off to check the bearing and it looks fine. But since then, my tire on that one wheel is wearing severely on one side. I have since tightened up the bearing nut but it still seems to wear on one side. Do I need to replace the bearing or is there something that I am missing?

The spindle Shaft is where its bent at Torsion are known to bend at that point The trailer must been curb or over loaded on one side

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Ok, I got a bent axle. Now that I need to get a new one which axle do you recommend? The tire wear is too severe to replace annually.

I had same problem took to a body shop put on Frame rack they fix it was half the price of a new one

Dixie Bluegrass
10-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Hmm, didn't think about a body shop. Now that I remember, I did have a blowout over a bump in a driveway when the trailer was heavily loaded on that side. So you think that the spindle is bent and they just need to bend it back in place? Marek, do they sell such rebuild kits online? I just heard pace american went out of business a month ago.

unkownfl
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Hmm, didn't think about a body shop. Now that I remember, I did have a blowout over a bump in a driveway when the trailer was heavily loaded on that side. So you think that the spindle is bent and they just need to bend it back in place? Marek, do they sell such rebuild kits online? I just heard pace american went out of business a month ago.

You need to measure your overall length and then your spring centers. Get a 3500lbs axle and be done with it. Straightening a bent axle will never be as strong unless you can weld gussets in somehow?

Dixie Bluegrass
10-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I am opting out for a new axle. I don't want to have this problem again. Gonna replace the brakes, bearings, the whole nine yards.