PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet good?

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 12:38 PM
New to the landscaping biz and narrowed it down that I want to start with a walk behind. Also definitely going with a hydro over the belt driven.

Cub cadet has a reasonable priced 52" hydro mower brand new 2012. Will I be happy with Cub Cadet? Is that a good brand that will last me a long time.

A+Grounds
10-21-2011, 01:34 PM
my dealer told me cub cadet is made by MTD. do yourself a favor and get a quality mower. bob cat, gravely, bunton, and bad boy all make great discount mowers!

StihlMechanic
10-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Use the search thingy. Cub is a POS.

2stroked
10-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Bought a cub cadet walk behind a month ago to test it out because it was a good deal. Next week it was back at home cheepo with a blown transmission. Simple answer is no, they suck.

jbell36
10-21-2011, 06:55 PM
well, think about it...it's called a "cub cadet." that's gotta be the gayest name i've ever heard of...they might as well have named themselves "fairytrikes"

on a serious not though, if it's made by mtd then definitely not, they are a cheap brand...the others that were mentioned are decent machines for the price, i guess, but i would personally go with a toro, exmark, or john deere as the top three...

wise choice going with hydro over belt

you can find a decent walk behind for around 1200 i would say...i have a john deere 48" walk behind hydro drive that i don't use anymore, i bet i could only get 1200 out of it at most...would be a great start up mower, especially for the main mower...mine has always been a great mower up to the day our grandstands made it obsolete and it was very used before i bought it...look around and get a good brand is my opinion

gebby
10-21-2011, 07:17 PM
I second what everybody else has said. I will add this. Yes you can buy cheap. Cheap will get you no where when your new mower is in the shop more than with you. Your frustration level will be very high. You soon will get disgusted and just give up. Buy professional equipment. There is a difference. The money you think you are saving now will soon disappear in lost sales and, repairs. Good luck with your decision.

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the opinions.....not one good thing about cub cadet. You guys just saved me like 4 grand. Thanks!!! Ill keep looking around

soloscaperman
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I have the push one that my friend sold to me. I think he got it at lowes or Home cheapo. Well it's not even been a year and it keeps shutting off and now it wont start. Throwing it in the road lol.

StihlMechanic
10-21-2011, 08:23 PM
If $4000 is your budget for a used mower you need to look for a used commercial mower, not a new homeowner unit that will break in it first season. $4000 can buy a pretty decent used machine.

Darryl G
10-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't go so far as saying all Cub equipment is crap, but I think you can do better than their walk behind mowers. Their utility and compact utility tractors are actually very nice, built by Yanmar. My Exmark dealer is also a Cub dealer.

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 08:41 PM
If $4000 is your budget for a used mower you need to look for a used commercial mower, not a new homeowner unit that will break in it first season. $4000 can buy a pretty decent used machine.

If you had 2 name brand mowers to recommend which 2 would it be?

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 08:42 PM
You guys like Ferris? I have a Ferris dealer by me.

soloscaperman
10-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Ferris are for over weight or older guys. Hear good things about them.

Darryl G
10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
If you have a good dealer nearby I'd consider a Ferris if I were you. Certainly over Cub. Exmark, Scag and Toro are all top brands but come at a price.

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
This a good deal.....

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2640518503.html

I can pick it up for exactly $4000

StihlMechanic
10-21-2011, 09:01 PM
This a good deal.....

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2640518503.html

I can pick it up for exactly $4000

thats not a commercial mower

Darryl G
10-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Those mowers aren't quite a full blown commercial mower but are close to it. Whether it's a good deal or not isn't as important as what is the best mower for you and the lawns you will be servcing.

Around here, a lot of guys don't run anything but 60 inch riders, but it really depends on your area. Most of the time, if you're just starting out, a 36 or 48 inch walk behind is your best bet. You can mow a 1 acre lawn with a 36 inch mower, but you can't get a 60 inch mower through a 40 inch gate, and you can't get a 60 inch mower in the back of a standard pickup truck.

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
How about this one:

http://www.sksalesonline.com/pages/newvehicles/viewmodel/1380/305/32902/2011/ferris-evolution.aspx

Darryl G
10-21-2011, 09:29 PM
OK...I know you've been asking for advice here lately...my advice to you is to slow down, do some reading, think this over and come up with a business plan. I would suggest that you start out by getting a used commercial walk behind mower (preferably hydro but not essential) with a riding attachment that you can fit in your existing truck. That along with a 21 inch mower, a blower and a string trimmer will get you started. Don't go spending all your money on a mower. You need to have some reserve capital. Having a nice shiny mower does you no good if you have no brakes or a blown transmission in your truck.

moneyclass
10-21-2011, 09:38 PM
OK...I know you've been asking for advice here lately...my advice to you is to slow down, do some reading, think this over and come up with a business plan. I would suggest that you start out by getting a used commercial walk behind mower (preferably hydro but not essential) with a riding attachment that you can fit in your existing truck. That along with a 21 inch mower, a blower and a string trimmer will get you started. Don't go spending all your money on a mower. You need to have some reserve capital. Having a nice shiny mower does you no good if you have no brakes or a blown transmission in your truck.

Very true....Thank you for your advice. I will be doing my homework and learning.

205mx
10-21-2011, 09:48 PM
I bought a Kubota with 250 hours for 4800. They are out there. Seasons over. Keep looking and be patient
Posted via Mobile Device

Randy G.
10-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I like my cub cadet. Havent had any of the problems people say you will have here. In fact havent had any trouble with it. Its been great. I think most just go by hear say anyway. If you are buying it a Home Depot or any of the big box stores its not one of the good cubs. Gotta go to a dealer for those. Just my first hand experience. Good luck with your choice.

StanWilhite
10-22-2011, 07:18 PM

I agree with Darryl.....take a deep breath and slow down. I know it's hard not to become overly excited when buying new eqp, but if I were you, I'd do many, many hrs or research before I bought anything.

Learning about these machines BEFORE you buy will put money in your pocket. There's a lot to learn about the machines because there are so many different manufacturers and so many different features.

It can be overwhelming, but just slow down and learn more before buying. I promise, one day, if you follow these instructions, you'll thank the guys that tell you this.

You're already ahead of the game because you found this site. If you use the search box you can answer a lot of the questions yourself. Then you can ask the guys here for help on the more specific questions.

Stan

StihlMechanic
10-22-2011, 09:24 PM
If it were me, with no accounts I would consider your situation. Do you plan to buy a trailer? You need one to haul a 48 inch or larger machine. Do you need a 48 inch or larger machine? What properties are near you? What is your target property? Lots of tract homes with 1/8 acre lots and and gates? Buy a 32-36 inch walk behind or just get your feet wet with a good 21 mower. Large properties, rural properties? Then consider a larger machine but also get a trailer. A few miles from me are densely populated neighborhoods, tract homes i call them, that I would make a killing with just using a 21 inch mower. I service large properties so I have a 60 inch, but sometimes I wish it were a 52. You dont need a big mower to make money. I know plenty of guys that started with less than you, no truck, no money. They got a truck and a good 21 inch and now 4-5 years later they have a 60 inch because they needed it. One guy has a 36 and a 61 inch ZTR, only after growing and paid for all of it with his cash flow. You have cash but no cash flow, invest as little as possible to start out but be wise about what you invest in. Keep as much cash in your pocket as possible. Good Luck.

ric1
10-22-2011, 10:14 PM
When I first started my business I checked on the forums and was told the same thing about Cub Cadet, that they were cheap junk, they were crap mowers etc. etc.
That was four years ago and I now own four CC mowers, two ZTR One WB and a 98H self propelled and none have ever given me a problem and I run sixty plus residential accounts weekly, so I wouldn't be swayed away from buying a CC

I think it's funny when people claim that one mower is better than another, they talk about Hustler being a good mower but yet I saw a brand new Hustler Hyper drive with a 31hp motor that had never been off the lot that wouldn't start because it had a screwed up fuel system from the factory, three new Bad Boy ZTR's that needed work done before they could be sold and the list goes on.

When it comes right down to it I don't care what mower you buy because it will eventually need to be repair so my suggestion would be to find the nearest dealer to you that you can trust, buy from him and not Home Depot because you'll get better deals on future equipment and a service department when you need back up.

alanauer
11-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Darryl, I always thought so too but there's a CC/Yanmar owner who's been posting his woes to Yanmar sites about a tranny glitch that his dealer can't seem to fix. But maybe it's just a bad dealer.

Darryl G
11-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Maybe? I will say that the little 24HP Yanmar diesel engine in my JD 855 CUT has operated flawlessly. Maybe their transmission manufacturing skills aren't on par with their engine ones.

superdog1
11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I bought a brand new Craftsman 33" walk behind (The exact same mower as the Cub Cadet unit) gear drive unit (Peerless tranny)in the Spring of this year. The positive is that it has a decent cut and the price was right. The negative is that the #@*$! drive belt keeps popping off at LEAST once a day. It always starts and goes and the electric start option makes life easy in that area, but I can see that I am also going to be needing new cables for the PTO and the drive unit every Spring, as they are binding already and I only have like 160 hrs on it.

If it is all you can afford, buy it, as the mower is priced right and cuts fairly well. Just plan on using a few choice words whenever the belt pops off. I can usually get it back on in like 3 to 5 mins. but it still is down time. Good luck!

jvanvliet
11-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Will I be happy with Cub Cadet? Is that a good brand that will last me a long time.

Club Cadet = toy :nono: