PDA

View Full Version : Need help building leaf box for EZ-Dumper

MaloneyLandscaping
10-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Just wondering if I could ask for some help on what size wood goes in the stake pockets for an EZ-Dumper dump insert. It is a couple years old. For the leaf box I plan on using for post on each side and two 4' x 8' sheet of PT plywood. I measured the opening as rough 1 1/2" by like 3 1/2".......any help and pictures are greatly appreciated as leaves are falling like crazy in new england. Thanks!

metro36
10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
A standard 2x4 will fit. Most dimensional lumber is measured when it is rough cut. It is then surfaced in a planer. This makes the finished dimensions 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

By PT I assume you mean pressure treated. A pressure treated 2x4 will most likely not fit because it swells when the treatment is applied. I dont really think that is necessary if you paint it. Pressure treated will not take paint as well either. I made my leaf box out of fir framing lumber and fir CDX plywood. 1/2" on the sides and front, then 3/4" for the door. If you are using a leaf loader, you might want to make the front out of 3/4" as well. It will help stop and rocks from flying through the sides and will wear better, as it will be basted by leaves. Then gave it two good coats of exterior paint. I plan on repainting it after the seasons over to help it last.

MaloneyLandscaping
10-21-2011, 10:24 PM
thanks metro! anybody else have any pics of one being built or a link to a thread i might have missed?