PDA

View Full Version : What size lawns are IDEAL for Walker mowers....?

Exact Rototilling
10-22-2011, 04:03 PM
What is the ideal sized lawn for the more popular deck sizes and tractors?

What is your experience with the C model tractor running the 36” deck and.... how do they cut in wet soggy conditions?

I have heard the C model tractor is a bit anemic, tends to rut in soggy turf and one is usually better off going with the bigger models thus less rutting and more power etc..

Walkers are very common here since most customers want their lawns bagged.

travski
10-23-2011, 10:58 PM
My cheesey response is: any lawn size is ideal for a Walker. I dont know anything about the C model, but I love my Walker 42" MTGHS 23 hp. Seriously the best mower ever made.

Walkers do clog in wet conditions but as long as you go slow, it minimizes the chances of clogging.

Exact Rototilling
10-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Quite a number of the lawns I mow have gates or a narrow path where I have to use a 32 or 36 deck mower. Only the 36 deck would work for most of my accounts. Thus the reason for the C tractor with the 36.deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
10-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Travski,

Prior to running your Walker didn't you exclusively use a Quickie 32? Was there any grousing from clients about using a.riding mower?

Also do you charge for clipping haul off or do you absorb the cost and hassle of disposal?
Posted via Mobile Device

travski
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Exact,

I used only my Quickie32 before. Now I use the Walker on all sizes of lawns. as long as the gate is wide enough, I am using it. I believe an average size lot for Billings, MT is around 8,000 sf to 10,000 sf.

I believe all but 2 clients complained that the rider was "too big" (both elderly ladies)

In my region hauling clippings off is the norm, so cost of that is built in to the price already.

I hope that helps.

TuffWork
10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
I have the 36" Walker. I like the mower, and it does fit in most gates. I did get a TON of complaints when I tried to use it on peoples lawns, though. Mostly from elderly people. "I don't want that big MACHINE on my lawn!!!" There was never a complaint about how the cut looked. It was always just this big issue of people being terrified for no reason. Although sometimes the complaint was about it messing up sprinkler heads, but if the sprinkler heads are low enough it shouldn't break them. I still push mow 50% or more of my accounts with a 21" because they want their lawns to look like their neighbors. Even when I go to do estimates if I don't bring my equipment they always ask: "what kinda mower you gonna use?". The answer is always: "what kind do you prefer?"

tyler_mott85
10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
With a 36" C Walker I would keep it under 10,000 sq ft.

Even with a big MT and 48" deck I wouldn't really want to use it on many yards over an acre. As a solo operator that it.

If you're running multiple crews you can send a fleet of walkers out and mow a lot of grass in a day. Granted you then have a LOT of clippings to dispose of. My fondest memory of going at a property with Walkers was two HOA's across a pond from each other here in town. The smaller consisted of 20 homes. Bi level with walk out basements. Therefore you had nice steep slopes between each of the houses to get into the back yards. Very easy to learn the limitations of walkers in these situations... Three man crew could get this done with the 30,000 sqft commons area in about 2.5 hours. The larger property was 40 houses and about triple the amount of grass overall. This took about 4.5 hours. We would fill a 16 foot long trailer with 4 ft sides full of grass every week we mowed. 4 feet high...7 feet wide...16 feet long.

But yeah for a solo operator I wouldn't go over an acre for a 48" deck. 42" deck on the big tractor I'd keep it a little under that. Maybe 3/4 acre.

But the smaller Model c tractor is just not as powerful and strong as the larger ones. Mix that with a smaller deck and I wouldn't want to do much over 10,000 sq ft with one.

My buddy I help mow has a 1984 36" walker. Chain drive system. On its 4th or 5th motor. We use it on about half a dozen back yards and thats enough for me. :)

Exact Rototilling
10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Exact,

I used only my Quickie32 before. Now I use the Walker on all sizes of lawns. as long as the gate is wide enough, I am using it. I believe an average size lot for Billings, MT is around 8,000 sf to 10,000 sf.

I believe all but 2 clients complained that the rider was "too big" (both elderly ladies)

In my region hauling clippings off is the norm, so cost of that is built in to the price already.

I hope that helps.

Do you having mowing times SOLO when you had just the Q32 vs. the Walker...on the SMALLER lawns.?

If my memory is correct I think your 32 is a single hydro...I have the dually the dually really is faster once you get dialed into the controls.

What I’m getting at is many of my competitors run Walkers with 40”+ decks then have a 21” mowers with a crew of two or just one. They move quickly on the front lawn but the poke factor is high in back with 40” or less gates....?

The fly in the ointment with the Quick mowers is the grass handling drill with the side catcher. :cry:

This is where the Walkers really shine. No catcher hanging off the side of the mower, you can trim left or right, back mower into trailer and dump into trailer, high lift to truck bed etc.

MOW ED
10-25-2011, 02:11 PM
I have a 26 efi that is a MTGHS 42. I also own a 52SD deck and this combo was my front line mowing set up for years. I now use the Walker for spring, fall and spraying and it is my back up mower if the Z goes down. I converted many bagging customers to discharge customers and now do not bag on a weekly basis. However I will always own a Walker as my business makes about 40% of its income from the three uses that were outlined above. A 42 isn't much bigger than a 36 except for those tight gates a 42 goes many places and I have even removed the deck and brought it thru then reconnected it once inside. You will only get in as wide as the front tires will let you thru which is about 42 inches on mine with the wider tires.
Its a great machine and you will definately get good use on lawns about 10K or so. The only thing I would ask is how do you handle all those clippings?

travski
10-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Exact,

I do not have time comparisons between the two mowers. but it is faster and its sure nice to not have to deal with attaching/re-attaching bagger all the time. Also with having a high lift dump it will prolong your career as a owner/operator.

I have to haul clippings to the city landfill which isnt my favorite thing to do, but its part of the job. What made my life easier was this: http://www.loadhandler.com/ grass still got stuck behind wheel wells on the truck, but it still is far superior to shoveling it all. Now I have a flatbed....no more wheel wells and no more side bagger!! life just keeps getting better!!

Exact Rototilling
10-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Before you had.the Walker did you bag, side discharge or mulch with your 32?

I'm kinda stuck on the Quickie dually 32 as my primary mower. My customers love.the cutt.with.the super lift 99-127 blades when bagging. They love.the cut when I.mulch with the 91-313 blades. And most have expressed that they.never.liked having riding mowers on their lawns.

What I hate about running quick mowers is the clipping drill in the spring. Most are.switched over to.mulch mode mid to late.June.

I think I'm going with price increases on about 40% of my.lawns which I expect to loose some of those and replace them with lawns that are more ideal for the BOP mowers especially the 32 dually.

If.I.went the walker route I would.have.to upgrade truck and trailer pronto. However that would be a better route than back surgery with ZERO insurance.

I've changed the way I work to make it less damaging to my back but there.is no guarantee I can.keep.doing.this.without hiring.help or largely eliminate the constant heavy lifting.

Posted via Mobile Device

Jason Rose
10-27-2011, 12:42 AM
I have a MC 18 hp. with a 36" GHS deck as well. It's a lot better than walking the gated back yards for sure! Since I have a 48" MT I don't use the 36" for mowing whole lawns, just places I can't get the other machines in. I'd say 10,000 sq ft is the limit, at least for ones patience, lol.

You have to use the narrow wheels/tires for the 36" deck if you want the deck to be wider than the wheel base. Yes, they can sink a little more but it's not much worse than the heavier MT with the low-pro tires.