PDA

View Full Version : 2 acres?

THIESSENS TLC
10-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Just wondering how much I should charge to cut a 2 acre property. I haven't seen the property yet so I dont know what kind of obstacles are in the way or even what to take into consideration. Lets say its all grass & no trees or anything in the way. What would you charge. I have a Gravely Pro-Stance 1934fx. Not sure if it will handle the job, I think it will...probly take me quite some time to mow it though. What is your opinion?

THIESSENS TLC
10-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Is there anybody out there?

dieseltech
10-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Just depend on your rate...do you charge by the hour, job, minute? Estimate how long it will take and go from there. If there is alot of trimming also take that into account. Me i charge a flat 40 per acre in my demographic.
Posted via Mobile Device

THIESSENS TLC
10-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Just depend on your rate...do you charge by the hour, job, minute? Estimate how long it will take and go from there. If there is alot of trimming also take that into account. Me i charge a flat 40 per acre in my demographic.
Posted via Mobile Device

40 an acre??? Really, thats it? I heard from a local shop in my area, people are paying 80-90 an acre. But I'm moving to a different community which is an hr away from my current house now, so not too sure what people are paying where I will be moving to.

j-ville native
10-22-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm out there and I say go look at the property and see how easy it would be to cut and how much obstacles to mow around and trimming/edging there is. You really have to see it yourself and see what's it like because a wide open 2 acre property won't take too long but if there are a ton of obstacles it could take forever. Figure out how long it will take you to do everything and then use your hourly rate and do the math.

j-ville native
10-22-2011, 07:45 PM
a 34 stand-on sounds brutal for 2 acres by the way but man up and do it if you need the account. good luck

GMLC
10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I usually get around $60 per acre with no trees or trimming. Its going to take you a while with a 34". So you may have to charge more to make up for the extra time.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
10-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Thinking he should charge more because he doesnt have the right equipment for the job is a sure way to not win the bid. Thats like saying since you have a small plow you should charge more cause it takes longer. Wrong.

cimkill
10-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow $40 an acre is low. I live in Central america and have to charge that rate due to no money down here. When I lived in florida one of my properties was an acre and I paid $75.00 for the guy to just mow it. No trimming or anything else that was back in 2004.

GMLC
10-22-2011, 08:36 PM
JDieastra your right he does need the right equipment. But if he is going to bid he needs to account for his extra time or not bid at all. Let the client decide who wins.
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
10-22-2011, 08:37 PM
40 an acre??? Really, thats it? I heard from a local shop in my area, people are paying 80-90 an acre. But I'm moving to a different community which is an hr away from my current house now, so not too sure what people are paying where I will be moving to.

thats it...you have to remember that price will vary from town to town, state to state and in your case country:laugh:. but like i said if there is more obstacles and trimming and such i will be slightly higher to make up for the extra time. i have one with a million trees and a bunch of landscaping that i charge 65 for an acre. sooo... but i will agree that your mower is small for two acres but should do the job, but you cant charge more just because your mower is smaller than a guy with a 60".

THIESSENS TLC
10-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I do agree my mower is a little small for 2 acres, but it can be done. JD is right about how I can't charge more because I dont have the right equipment. I just might loose money on it or be lucky if i break even...i dont know yet. Maybe I will make some money on it if I win it. Still have to go look at it yet. Better yet, I still have to call the guy first. My step-mom cleans houses for a living and told me she was talking to one of her clients who just moved to a new house with 2 acres. She told him about me, so im going to call him and see what happens. My-step mom is awesome, she actually found my first mower sitting on the side of the road for me.

StihlMechanic
10-22-2011, 09:08 PM
With a 34 inch mower I would pass on it. If you do take it on and its high grass you will have to at least double cut it. It will prob take you 4 hours at a foot tall.

THIESSENS TLC
10-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Ya she said that the guy said it was long, so I might be able to charge more for the first cut.

j-ville native
10-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I think what stihlmechanic means is that double cutting 2 acres with a 60" is enough of a pita, but with a 34" it's just ridiculous so you may want to pass on this one. Do you have a lot of lawns or are you trying to gain more accounts? Because, if your schedule is tight then the opportunity cost of this time consuming property is going to be high if you could replace it with smaller lawns, which would be more profitable with your 34". However, if you need more lawns and have plenty of free time than you shouldn't be turning down any lawns, regardless of size.

32vld
10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
JDieastra your right he does need the right equipment. But if he is going to bid he needs to account for his extra time or not bid at all. Let the client decide who wins.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only thing that can be done is to accept that his profit will be reduced because he does not have a large enough mower. Can't penalize the customer for one's short comings.

It seems that the OP doesn't have too many customers that he has to turn away work.

So this account even at a reduced profit he is still making money and this account if added would increase his overall profit.

Overall profit is where the money comes from to buy that 60" mower.

Darryl G
10-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I maintain about a dozen 2+ acre properties and they range from $45 to $75 per cut.

32vld
10-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I think what stihlmechanic means is that double cutting 2 acres with a 60" is enough of a pita, but with a 34" it's just ridiculous so you may want to pass on this one. Do you have a lot of lawns or are you trying to gain more accounts? Because, if your schedule is tight then the opportunity cost of this time consuming property is going to be high if you could replace it with smaller lawns, which would be more profitable with your 34". However, if you need more lawns and have plenty of free time than you shouldn't be turning down any lawns, regardless of size.

If the lawn is that tall he can rent the right sized machine for the first cut and put that in the first cut price. Then quote the normal height mow cost for weekly cuts.

j-ville native
10-22-2011, 10:19 PM
If the lawn is that tall he can rent the right sized machine for the first cut and put that in the first cut price. Then quote the normal height mow cost for weekly cuts.

by the time he goes to rent the big mower and then return it later he could be done mowing that property with the 34"

THIESSENS TLC
10-22-2011, 10:54 PM
who knows what hides in tall grass, might be a good way to go. Not too sure how lawnmower rentals work, but im sure you could beat the piss out of it and if it breaks you dont have to worry about fixin it. could be wrong though.

gebby
10-23-2011, 12:01 AM
I mow a 2 acre place with a little trimming at 150.00 if that helps you. Charge more for the first cut if it is high. This place was over 18 inches high the first time. I charged them 500.00 and went over it 3 times. Government job too so it must have not been over priced.

Darryl G
10-23-2011, 12:03 AM
He hasn't even seen the place yet so doesn't even know how much of the 2 acres is actually turf. I think this is a waste of time for everyone until he actually takes a look at the place.

tillerkiller
10-23-2011, 12:04 AM
We would do it for $100. Obviously more for the first cut if it's out of control.

No way would I touch it if I didn't have multiple 60" mowers.

THIESSENS TLC
10-23-2011, 12:18 AM
just wanted to know what you guys are charging for 2 acres of turf, thanks to all who replied with their prices. I will let you guys know if I pick up the account and for how much.
I'll try to remember to take before & after pictures if I take it on.

mtmower
10-23-2011, 01:43 AM
It could be done with a push mower if you had to. Ask yourself if you have the time in your schedule, is it irrigated, is it a consistent weekly job, can I get additional work from the property, smooth, weed free, how much trimming, etc? I try to average about $65 per hr. but I'm also running bigger machines. Have a nice, smoother, open, two acre yard that takes me 45min.-1.5 hrs. depending how the starts align and I get $95. Or another way to look at it if the owner had been mowing it, say with a typical riding tractor, how long (even ask them) did it take them? 3.5 maybe 4 hrs.? or more? Then figure most people are willing to pay $25 an hr for good quality labor. Right there is $100 and he doesn't need to store or maintain a mower, buy the gas, and I'm sure it'll look better when your done with it! Good luck.

Snapper Jack
10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
JD is right about how I can't charge more because I dont have the right equipment.
Could you please show me where it's written what equipment is more appropriate to mow two acres.Not trying to be a jerk here but you charge accordingly to what you think is fair with the equipment that you have on hand and the amount of growth. They'll either except the quote or go with someone else, the notion that you're over charging for extra time for using a smaller deck is not true.

THIESSENS TLC
10-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Could you please show me where it's written what equipment is more appropriate to mow two acres.Not trying to be a jerk here but you charge accordingly to what you think is fair with the equipment that you have on hand and the amount of growth. They'll either except the quote or go with someone else, the notion that you're over charging for extra time for using a smaller deck is not true.

its not written anywhere, i think you might have missed the point. i think what JD was saying is. (example) lets say you mow 2 acres with a push mower...you cant charge $500.00 because it will take you all day, no one would buy it! and if you do it for $50.00 with a push mower...now your losing. So yes you do have to charge accordingly to what equipment you have...then let the client decide.

Darryl G
10-23-2011, 02:56 PM

It's written right here, at least for Wright Mfg. mowers

http://www.wrightmfg.com/productivity_chart/

Snapper Jack
10-23-2011, 04:06 PM

A chart that gives a rating of A's to B's isn't quite the same as giving Hour estimations at giving speeds but thanks anyway. I've seen a hour chart some where ,need to keep searching.

MOturkey
10-23-2011, 05:41 PM
The only thing that can be done is to accept that his profit will be reduced because he does not have a large enough mower. Can't penalize the customer for one's short comings.

It seems that the OP doesn't have too many customers that he has to turn away work.

So this account even at a reduced profit he is still making money and this account if added would increase his overall profit.

Overall profit is where the money comes from to buy that 60" mower.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've seen bigger properties mowed with lesser equipment, you just have to allow extra time.

MOturkey
10-23-2011, 05:46 PM
We would do it for $100. Obviously more for the first cut if it's out of control.

No way would I touch it if I didn't have multiple 60" mowers.

Gee, some of you guys act like 2 acres is a quarter section. When I was younger, for a couple of years I mowed the property we lived on then with a 21, and it was a bit over an acre, plus the highway ditch in front. It wasn't fun, but it was doable. Two acres with a 34, especially one of commercial quality, isn't, in my opinion, all that big a deal, if you have the time.

michael14
10-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
10-23-2011, 07:22 PM
A chart that gives a rating of A's to B's isn't quite the same as giving Hour estimations at giving speeds but thanks anyway. I've seen a hour chart some where ,need to keep searching.

You asked where it was written where what equipment is more appropriate to mow two acres and I showed you. If you look at the key, the A, B and C ratings relate to percent efficieny. A 36 inch machine is clearly less ideal for mowing 2 acres. I don't think anyone needs it written to know that.

THIESSENS TLC
10-23-2011, 08:38 PM

well i guess it is written somewhere, thats a pretty cool chart. I wouldn't have a problem cutting his property with my machine...even if I hadn't seen the chart. but I guess my machine is around 75% efficient for up to 2acres. Then again, thats for a "Wright Stander".

Snapper Jack
10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
You asked where it was written where what equipment is more appropriate to mow two acres and I showed you. If you look at the key, the A, B and C ratings relate to percent efficieny. A 36 inch machine is clearly less ideal for mowing 2 acres. I don't think anyone needs it written to know that.
AS I stated in my previous post,that percentage chart link you provide isn't what I'm searching for. What I"m looking for is Chart that provides MPHs for a given deck size that better illustrates the amount of acreage one can mow in a given hour that would give me the knowledge in giving better estimations on job bidding, as in this chart,need to some re-figuring for a 36" deck though and whether or not a 36" deck is less ideal for mowing 2 acres is a matter of opinion.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CubCadetFullPageArticleDisplayView?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=14101&pageView=Cubcadet_Commercial/AcresPerHour.html

JB1
10-23-2011, 10:45 PM
will this help?

Darryl G
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
AS I stated in my previous post,that percentage chart link you provide isn't what I'm searching for. What I"m looking for is Chart that provides MPHs for a given deck size that better illustrates the amount of acreage one can mow in a given hour that would give me the knowledge in giving better estimations on job bidding, as in this chart,need to some re-figuring for a 36" deck though and whether or not a 36" deck is less ideal for mowing 2 acres is a matter of opinion.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CubCadetFullPageArticleDisplayView?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=14101&pageView=Cubcadet_Commercial/AcresPerHour.html

It may not be what you're looking for but it's what you asked for. :laugh:

32vld
10-23-2011, 10:53 PM

How about googling: time is money.

I worked in printing many years ago. You can run an 11" press and run an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet and do 5,000 sph. A job that needed 100,000 copies would take 20 hours.

Same job on a 38" press would print a 22" x 34" sheet will yield 8 - 8 1/2 x 11 sheets up. Same job on the large press would take 2.5 hours.

Also profit is greater because labor costs are lower.

Then for the person that comes in at 9 am and needs the job by noon the large press shop gets the job. The small press guy if he started at 9 am would not get the job done until 5 am the next day if he can manage to not stop to eat sleep or go to the bathroom.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-23-2011, 11:47 PM
I maintain about a dozen 2+ acre properties and they range from $45 to $75 per cut.

I'm in the same region and I wouldn't charge less then a $120.

facework84
10-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm in the same region and I wouldn't charge less then a $120.

I'm with this person on the price. And thats just for the mow, no trimming.

I used to have a 1.6 acre property that was pretty wide open, that took me 2 hours to do with my 38" lawn tractor. With trimming, I was getting 120

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-24-2011, 12:55 AM
I'm with this person on the price. And thats just for the mow, no trimming.

I used to have a 1.6 acre property that was pretty wide open, that took me 2 hours to do with my 38" lawn tractor. With trimming, I was getting 120

2 acres would only take me 20 mins thats if its wide open like your 1.6 acre property That would be with 1 72'' mower
Time is money I wouldnt even think about useing any smaller then a 60'' on that size property

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-24-2011, 03:26 AM
2 acres would only take me 20 mins thats if its wide open like your 1.6 acre property That would be with 1 72'' mower
Time is money I wouldnt even think about useing any smaller then a 60'' on that size property

It is to big for that mower but just cause you have a mower that cuts 4 acres in a hour, doesnt mean you charge 1 hour. It would take a homeowner 2-3 hours to cut it. We spent the money on efficient equipment we should get paid for it.

Snapper Jack
10-24-2011, 06:32 AM
will this help?
Yes it does and Thank You!

Snapper Jack
10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
How about googling: time is money.

I worked in printing many years ago. You can run an 11" press and run an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet and do 5,000 sph. A job that needed 100,000 copies would take 20 hours.

Same job on a 38" press would print a 22" x 34" sheet will yield 8 - 8 1/2 x 11 sheets up. Same job on the large press would take 2.5 hours.

Also profit is greater because labor costs are lower.

Then for the person that comes in at 9 am and needs the job by noon the large press shop gets the job. The small press guy if he started at 9 am would not get the job done until 5 am the next day if he can manage to not stop to eat sleep or go to the bathroom.

How about googling "I"M DEBT FREE'" so there's no pressures to worry about time.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
It is to big for that mower but just cause you have a mower that cuts 4 acres in a hour, doesnt mean you charge 1 hour. It would take a homeowner 2-3 hours to cut it. We spent the money on efficient equipment we should get paid for it.

So you saying it only takes you 1 hour and homeowner takes 3 hrs you should charge for 3 hrs

MOturkey
10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
These threads pop up every so often, and they still tend to irritate me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The going price for that 2 acre lawn is the same whether it is mowed with a 21 or a 72. If you don't have the equipment to do it profitably (which is unlikely), then don't do it. You can't expect the customer to pay more because you have less.

Think of it this way. Let's say the exterior of your home needs painting, and you contact a painting contractor to get a bid on the job. Are you going to be willing to pay more for the job if the painter chooses to use 2 inch brushes instead of 6 inch? I didn't think so. The end result is precisely the same, the house will be painted regardless of the tools he uses. It is EXACTLY the same principal with the mowing, the end result is the same whether it is mowed with a 34 inch WB or a 60 inch Z.

THIESSENS TLC
10-24-2011, 10:44 AM
These threads pop up every so often, and they still tend to irritate me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The going price for that 2 acre lawn is the same whether it is mowed with a 21 or a 72. If you don't have the equipment to do it profitably (which is unlikely), then don't do it. You can't expect the customer to pay more because you have less.

Think of it this way. Let's say the exterior of your home needs painting, and you contact a painting contractor to get a bid on the job. Are you going to be willing to pay more for the job if the painter chooses to use 2 inch brushes instead of 6 inch? I didn't think so. The end result is precisely the same, the house will be painted regardless of the tools he uses. It is EXACTLY the same principal with the mowing, the end result is the same whether it is mowed with a 34 inch WB or a 60 inch Z.

I agree with you Neil, I posted a similar reply earlier on in this thread. But by all means...if it takes a guy an hr to mow a 2 acre property, and he charges the HO 3 hrs, and he gets it, well I think he just picked up a good deal. I wouldn't even go there for fear of loosing a potential client due to overpriced quoting.

JABBERS
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I think you need to look at what you need per hour with your current setup. The cost per hr of a 21" vs a 72" is different. What you need to take home per hour is different from somebody else. A mower rate per hour and a labor rate per hour is different for me because I have to pay for the machine (gas,maintenance,cost of mower) and operator, Vs just labor. So If you haven't thought about it you need to. Overhead is figured in to you hourly rate. High overhead higher cost per hour or your going under. There are some calculators for this.

THIESSENS TLC
10-24-2011, 11:12 AM
I think you need to look at what you need per hour with your current setup. The cost per hr of a 21" vs a 72" is different. What you need to take home per hour is different from somebody else. A mower rate per hour and a labor rate per hour is different for me because I have to pay for the machine (gas,maintenance,cost of mower) and operator, Vs just labor. So If you haven't thought about it you need to. Overhead is figured in to you hourly rate. High overhead higher cost per hour or your going under. There are some calculators for this.

I already thought about it, I know what i need to factor in. From the moment i started this thread my first question was what would you charge for 2 acres with no trees or obstacles? I guess this post turned into something else...just want some numbers from you guys. where are these calculators that you speak of?

JABBERS
10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Gopherhaul has that calculator too. Plug in data. I have never used it so I dont know how accurate it is. Thought I would mess around with it on the off season. All these gentleman saying They get this and that per hour isnt helping matters much. If you know all your numbers you shouldn't be far off.

32vld
10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
How about googling "I"M DEBT FREE'" so there's no pressures to worry about time.

Being debt free has nothing to do with time pressure or using the right size equipment.

Being in business is about maximizing profit.

Unless that using equipment that was too small would cause you to lose money on a job then you shouldn't do that job.

Being debt free has nothing to with time pressure. Either you can fit that work into your sechedule with too small equipment because you have the open time, or you are to busy to take any more on work regardless.

Passing a job because you are debt free is not good business because you are leaving money on the table. All profits passed up lower total profit at the end of the year.

Many people start out with a 21" mower because it's all the equipment they have the money for. They work their way up to the 60" because they realize time is money.

I see nothing wrong with the OP using a 34" because it's all he's got in equipment and if he's not going to lose money doing the job. Profits add up and that's how better equipment gets bought.

THIESSENS TLC
10-24-2011, 12:46 PM
gBeing debt free has nothing to do with time pressure or using the right size equipment.

Being in business is about maximizing profit.

Unless that using equipment that was too small would cause you to lose money on a job then you shouldn't do that job.

Being debt free has nothing to with time pressure. Either you can fit that work into your sechedule with too small equipment because you have the open time, or you are to busy to take any more on work regardless.

Passing a job because you are debt free is not good business because you are leaving money on the table. All profits passed up lower total profit at the end of the year.

Many people start out with a 21" mower because it's all the equipment they have the money for. They work their way up to the 60" because they realize time is money.

I see nothing wrong with the OP using a 34" because it's all he's got in equipment and if he's not going to lose money doing the job. Profits add up and that's how better equipment gets bought.

glad somebody else has good business practices

Darryl G
10-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Go look at the freakin lawn already! This is all pointless otherwise. Have you ever seen a 2 acre property with no obstacles or trees other than a field? What the hell is the point of discussing a fictitious property? It doesn't matter what size mower you have since you can't mow it anyway...it's just a figment of your imagination at this point.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
So you saying it only takes you 1 hour and homeowner takes 3 hrs you should charge for 3 hrs

I would bid it at 3 hrs. I dont cut grass by the hour. If I did I would use a 21" mower. I charge by the acre and not the time it takes. If I didnt it would make no sense in buying 8k mowers.

As posted above I have to charge for my mowers in overhead. If it takes 12 hours manual labor to dig a hole and I show up with a backhoe and do it in one. Do I charge for 1 hour labor? Or for the equipment, labor, and by the job?

facework84
10-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Well, you arent really comparing the same situation. Not everyone has a fancy 60" mower. Some people only have 38" or even 34" mowers, which is slow in relation to a bigger mower no matter what. Isnt it better to get some money than no money if thats all you have?

weeze
10-24-2011, 11:00 PM
for 2 acres i would charge $75 if it's a weekly cut and $100 if bi weekly...that's with a 54" ztr mower...probably take 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs to do everything...mow,trim,blow...will take you twice as long using a 34"...so plan on at least 3hrs or more

THIESSENS TLC
10-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Go look at the freakin lawn already! This is all pointless otherwise. Have you ever seen a 2 acre property with no obstacles or trees other than a field? What the hell is the point of discussing a fictitious property? It doesn't matter what size mower you have since you can't mow it anyway...it's just a figment of your imagination at this point.

Hey man, if you dont like the thread, UNSUBSCRIBE!!! or be patient like everyone else. I have seen a lot of properties with lots of land...but I havent seen a 2 acre property with no obstacles or trees. Thats why I was asking you guys what you would charge to do it...a rough figure, thats all!

Darryl G
10-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Hey man, if you dont like the thread, UNSUBSCRIBE!!! or be patient like everyone else. I have seen a lot of properties with lots of land...but I havent seen a 2 acre property with no obstacles or trees. Thats why I was asking you guys what you would charge to do it...a rough figure, thats all!

No need to yell. I guess you don't get my point. It doesn't matter what WE would charge for a 2 acre property with no obstacles or trees. What matters is what YOU would charge for the actual property to be serviced. You really need to go look at it and see what the access is, the layout, the slopes and grades and all the things that effect the cost to service a property.

THIESSENS TLC
10-25-2011, 01:41 PM
No need to yell. I guess you don't get my point. It doesn't matter what WE would charge for a 2 acre property with no obstacles or trees. What matters is what YOU would charge for the actual property to be serviced. You really need to go look at it and see what the access is, the layout, the slopes and grades and all the things that effect the cost to service a property.

Thanks, I know what I need to do. I wasn't yellin...just talkin.

Darryl G
10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks, I know what I need to do. I wasn't yellin...just talkin.

Yeah, keep pondering it until the opportunity slides through your fingers. :hammerhead:

ralph02813
10-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a ferris 36 wb, it takes me 2 hours to do 2 acres, I charge $45.00 I am generally at the property another 1-2 hours a week in cutting season, and if it isn't snowing or raining I work 4-6 hours there a week all winter. I figure my grass cutting opens up the other opportunities for this property. I work solo.

TNGrassCutter
10-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I have a ferris 36 wb, it takes me 2 hours to do 2 acres, I charge $45.00 I am generally at the property another 1-2 hours a week in cutting season, and if it isn't snowing or raining I work 4-6 hours there a week all winter. I figure my grass cutting opens up the other opportunities for this property. I work solo.

Am I understanding correctly that you are mowing this place for $22.50 per hour?
Posted via Mobile Device

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Am I understanding correctly that you are mowing this place for $22.50 per hour?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cutting his own throat. He gets his gas money and lunch. Do yourself a favor call a landscaper and have him give you a quote for 1 acre. When some charge up to $100 dont be surprised.

I have a 2 acre property that pays me $900 a month april-nov. That includes the spring and fall clean up. I'm there 6-12 hours a month. Ohh and about the extra work I picked up the snow plowing at the property for $122-$230 per push depending on depth. Will take me less then 20 minutes to plow and salt. Dont ever lower your prices for the chance to get more work.

ralph02813
10-25-2011, 04:36 PM
tngrasscutter --000ps no sorry for the punctutation error $45.00/hour

cocoakid
10-25-2011, 05:33 PM
i charge a dollar a minute. ask yourself how long will it take . example... 2 hours...120.00 dollars. 1 minute..1 dollar!! works for me!!

ralph02813
10-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm just thinking here and its all nice to get whatever an hour, but in reality, you charge what you can - what the market will bare. The most important part of the equation is to know what you are not making. You need to know your overhead, and you need to know you cost. This is all the cost of doing business. Two guys charging exactly the same amount per hour 20 or 30 years down the road can end up in to very different places - one fat and happy and the other broke.
If you charge say a dollar a minute which is what most guys charge around here then you have to figure your business backwards - if you can get all your customers to locate on the same street, you can work 12 hours a day - say from 8 to 8 and you can make 720 a day or 2880 a week, nice money for 9 months 11,500 a month 100k a year. Something tell me there is a happy widow in the wings! Life is what you make it.

j-ville native
10-25-2011, 08:17 PM
It's been 3 days since you started this thread so what is going on? How much did you tell them for the estimate?

THIESSENS TLC
10-26-2011, 03:37 AM
Sorry for draggin this thread on guys, I talked to the guy today and he said he just fixed his tractor. Hes going to try it out and see if it mulches probably 10" of grass by now. When I talked to him a few days ago he said it was around 8", and we are getting a ton of rain lately. He said he would call me if it doesn't work out for him, which I dont think his tractor is going to be able to mulch that amount of wet grass and not leave a mess. I think it would be better to side discharge it, and go over it 2-3 times. Anyways, thats whats going on, just waiting now.

FoghornLeghorn
10-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Sorry for draggin this thread on guys, I talked to the guy today and he said he just fixed his tractor. Hes going to try it out and see if it mulches probably 10" of grass by now. When I talked to him a few days ago he said it was around 8", and we are getting a ton of rain lately. He said he would call me if it doesn't work out for him, which I dont think his tractor is going to be able to mulch that amount of wet grass and not leave a mess. I think it would be better to side discharge it, and go over it 2-3 times. Anyways, thats whats going on, just waiting now.

So essentially you're the tire kicker at the car dealership, wasting everyone's time on this thread who bothered to give professional opinions to you?

Why not just pull the trigger when you had a warm lead on a customer and call him? Instead you sat around with your dingdong in your hand just "talking about it".

Jesus Christ, man.

JDiepstra
10-26-2011, 09:42 AM
So essentially you're the tire kicker at the car dealership, wasting everyone's time on this thread who bothered to give professional opinions to you?

Why not just pull the trigger when you had a warm lead on a customer and call him? Instead you sat around with your dingdong in your hand just "talking about it".

Jesus Christ, man.

Wow someone pee in your Cheerios?
He wont be able to mulch a foot of grass with a lawn tractor. I would side discharge that as well. Or, bag it for extra money.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow someone pee in your Cheerios?
He wont be able to mulch a foot of grass with a lawn tractor. I would side discharge that as well. Or, bag it for extra money.
If he a HO he has all the time to do it He cut it and let dry and then he can mulch it up

JDiepstra
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
If he a HO he has all the time to do it He cut it and let dry and then he can mulch it up

I dunno man. Thats gonna be 8" of clippings mulched into 3" grass with a p.o.s. mower. I just dont see it happening successfully.

THIESSENS TLC
10-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Jesus Christ, man.

the reason i didnt call him because he was busy moving into his new house. So go cry to someone who gives a f**k...do you really wanna piss off a potential client. :nono:

Darryl G
10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
New client? You dragged your feet so long that the opportunity slipped through your fingers. I think you should have looked at it right away, given the best estimate of your price and he probably would have had you do it. If he's that busy moving he'd probably been happy to just get it mowed whatever the price.

THIESSENS TLC
10-26-2011, 12:25 PM
if he wanted me to look at, he would've said come take a look. But he told me about his tractor, so I said ok, call me if it doesnt work out for ya. So I might not get a call, maybe i will. who knows. if i dont get it, no worries...if i do its a bonus! maybe he'll get frustrated trying to mulch 8"-10" of grass.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
$40 an acre is low!!!

ralph02813
10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
You charge what you need to charge for your busines - if you are not here next year you screwed up and didn't know your business.

FoghornLeghorn
10-27-2011, 07:25 PM
if he wanted me to look at, he would've said come take a look. But he told me about his tractor, so I said ok, call me if it doesnt work out for ya. So I might not get a call, maybe i will. who knows. if i dont get it, no worries...if i do its a bonus! maybe he'll get frustrated trying to mulch 8"-10" of grass.

Man, you cannot approach a business like this and expect to make money. If you get the job, it's a bonus? NO, it's called your salary. There is no bonus about it. A bonus is if you got the mowing job and he said, "oh, by the way I have a retention wall, sod, and a complete mulch replacement that I'd like you to do. My budget is $30k."

Don't make the mistake of taking such a passive approach to your business. This is about making money, not sitting on the sidelines. If you don't aggressively pursue new leads, someone younger, hungrier and quicker than you will take it...

GMLC
10-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Well said Joseph. There are quite a few here that don't take business seriously. They believe its part of being thier own boss and doing what ever they want but it usually results in failure.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
10-27-2011, 10:44 PM
well it depends on where you are at...if you are doing ok then any business you get is a bonus...but if you are struggling to make ends meet then it's not really a bonus but necessary income lol.

THIESSENS TLC
10-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Man, you cannot approach a business like this and expect to make money. If you get the job, it's a bonus? NO, it's called your salary. There is no bonus about it. A bonus is if you got the mowing job and he said, "oh, by the way I have a retention wall, sod, and a complete mulch replacement that I'd like you to do. My budget is $30k."

Don't make the mistake of taking such a passive approach to your business. This is about making money, not sitting on the sidelines. If you don't aggressively pursue new leads, someone younger, hungrier and quicker than you will take it...

Hey thanks for your concern, but I'm really not too worried about it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ralph02813
10-28-2011, 07:42 AM
I think abonus it getting the yard next door to an existing customer, that you can charge more money and it takes less time cut.