PDA

View Full Version : Dont judge people by the way they look or what they drive

williams lcm
10-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I was maintaing my commerical property today and some bummy looking guy pulls up in a crappy car. I said to myself " what another guy looking for work" I have had bummy people looking for work in this same location before. They come up to me and usually ask if I am hiring. So I blew the guy off until i was done working. He just walked around and looked at me. I really tried to avoid him. Well when I was done blowing he said do you want to stop by my house and give me an estimate. In my mind I said " no not really he probably dosent have money to pay me". I followed him home to a beautiful street on the waterfront. He has a big house with alot of land on the waterfront. He had a nice Mercedes in the garage. Well I gave him my offer to mow and he says that it was a good price and when could I start. I said today since I am here. This guy has a sucessful real estate company. Was I surprised or what. Who knew this would turn out to be an excellent added income to my business. Good thing he waited around. I told him I was sorry for making him wait. He said it was ok. You never know who will stop you just because they look different or drive a crappy car. Keep this in mind.

jsslawncare
10-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I seem to do what you did all the time.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-22-2011, 06:18 PM
We had the same incident happen now we take care ornithology the clients homes. One on the water one inland. Both in the same down. Glad it worked out for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I learned a long time ago that some of the people who look like they have the most money actually have the least because they're spending money they don't have trying to look like they have money!

I was maintaing my commerical property today and some bummy looking guy pulls up in a crappy car. I said to myself " what another guy looking for work" I have had bummy people looking for work in this same location before. They come up to me and usually ask if I am hiring. So I blew the guy off until i was done working. He just walked around and looked at me. I really tried to avoid him. Well when I was done blowing he said do you want to stop by my house and give me an estimate. In my mind I said " no not really he probably dosent have money to pay me". I followed him home to a beautiful street on the waterfront. He has a big house with alot of land on the waterfront. He had a nice Mercedes in the garage. Well I gave him my offer to mow and he says that it was a good price and when could I start. I said today since I am here. This guy has a sucessful real estate company. Was I surprised or what. Who knew this would turn out to be an excellent added income to my business. Good thing he waited around. I told him I was sorry for making him wait. He said it was ok. You never know who will stop you just because they look different or drive a crappy car. Keep this in mind.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-22-2011, 06:31 PM
We had the same incident happen now we take care of both the clients homes. One on the water one inland. Both in the same down. Glad it worked out for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
10-22-2011, 08:13 PM
That reminds me of the landlord I had when I first moved to Knoxville. He drove a mid eights mustang and always looked kind of rough, but was worth serveral million. He was a home builder for almost 40 years and owned 30 something (paid for) rental houses. He also was one of the nicest, down to earth guys you could every meet.

gebby
10-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I'd rather deal with one of them than the guys smoking a big cigar and in a big car. They think a lot of them selves. If you don't believe me just ask them and they'll usually tell you.

Cutgrassfast
10-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Finishing the current job you were being paid for might have been a selling point too. Dedication to the job at hand means a lot to some people.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-22-2011, 11:54 PM
That is very true. Most of my customers that have money drive cars that are older but well maintained. The ones that drive newer flashy cars usually pay late and don't have me do anything except mow. Might not be true, but it definitely seems that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

nightshutter
10-23-2011, 09:02 AM
The ones that drive newer flashy cars usually pay late and don't have me do anything except mow. Might not be true, but it definitely seems that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

This one customer I have has this crazy nice and big house. Brand new. New landscaping. Nice cars. He only has me mow. Wont even talk to me about doing anything else. Grass is not so green, plants are dying. I told him several times I can make everything look good if he has me fertilize and put a treatment on his plants. Almost everytime im there cars drive by to look at the house. Theres me mowing this not so green lawn and the plants are dying. :hammerhead: Oh and he usually pays 2-4 weeks late. Minus that he is still a pretty good customer. One of the best areas to be in, in my area! :)

White Gardens
10-23-2011, 09:20 AM
The CEO of State Farm Insurance (Son of the original founder), is known to go to auctions dressed in older blue-collar clothing, driving a mid-nineties chevy truck, and looks a tad disheveled sometimes.

Easily approachable guy too, had a couple of conversations with him about random stuff.

In a crowd you just wouldn't of figured that is who this guy is. He is a decedent from generations of blue collar farmers and it still runs in his blood I guess.

Patriot Services
10-23-2011, 11:48 AM
This one customer I have has this crazy nice and big house. Brand new. New landscaping. Nice cars. He only has me mow. Wont even talk to me about doing anything else. Grass is not so green, plants are dying. I told him several times I can make everything look good if he has me fertilize and put a treatment on his plants. Almost everytime im there cars drive by to look at the house. Theres me mowing this not so green lawn and the plants are dying. :hammerhead: Oh and he usually pays 2-4 weeks late. Minus that he is still a pretty good customer. One of the best areas to be in, in my area! :)

Sounds like he is living on credit and coming to the end of the line.:usflag:

MOturkey
10-23-2011, 12:16 PM
When Sam Walton was still alive, I read a story about him in some magazine. They said he lived in a modest home, answered the door himself if you happened to knock on it, and drove a 20 year old pickup around town. I'm guessing that many of those he made rich, are not so down-to-earth. :)

SouthSide Cutter
10-23-2011, 08:53 PM
We have a 06 Focus which we run the wheels off of. The Denali, Buick and Dually just set at the house when we go out. But thats what we got it for, most people wouldnt be caught dead in it.
Theres a story about a man in Mich. who owned alot of asphalt plants everybody should read. It was in one of local papers a few years back. Sold his company, gave alot of the money to his employees. A Millionaire but sure didnt look like it. Lived in the same house about all his life, a small brick modest home. Had a boat a 14ft jon boat. Not to many people like him anymore.

larryinalabama
10-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Truth is anyone in America can become a millionare, it does take a lifetime. Buy 10 new fancy cars and you lost your million and live on social security.

greendoctor
10-24-2011, 01:32 AM
That is very true. Most of my customers that have money drive cars that are older but well maintained. The ones that drive newer flashy cars usually pay late and don't have me do anything except mow. Might not be true, but it definitely seems that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

The people who spent all of their money trying to look rich, do not have much left over to take care of their property. There are entire neighborhoods I avoid because of that. Same story: two new Lexus in the garage, kids in either private school or Ivy League and more than $50 a month for lawn care is too much. Mind you, the house always worth over $1 million.

davidcalhoun
10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I would rather deal with a unpretentious real person over a want-a-be any day of the week. Many of new bank tellers have been surprised when they deal with a unpretentious real person.