PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried working down South during the winter months?

soloscaperman
10-22-2011, 10:14 PM
To be honest I am thinking about moving down south and mowing or doing some sort of work even being drywall and Taping. I just can't stand the cold up here and my body has a hard time adjusting from being in the sun. I do love the fall cleanup season and snow plowing but its the in between that sucks and I get bored during the winter time.

In a way it will be like a vacation and time away from the crappy state of CT.

THEGOLDPRO
10-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Nope i make too much money plowing snow to want to leave for the winter.

Springmeadows
10-22-2011, 10:21 PM
That is if you can find drywall work down South. There is hardly any work done here for those of us that are here in the South.

deerewashed
10-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Mathematically it is not smart, but some of you dumb lawn boys dont know math!!!!! Lol Jk

drywall pay - (south house cost+north house cost) < plowin pay - north house cost.

my calculations show you will make less money drywallin, also you wont get to hang out with all of us when we go over plowsite!

nepatsfan
10-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I head down to CT and plow there

jsslawncare
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
We all get part-time jobs for 3 months and you'd better move further south then Jacksonville,Fl. Drywall-South? We don't have any new houses being built here. I don't know.

soloscaperman
10-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Nope i make too much money plowing snow to want to leave for the winter.

Well I'm not there yet, this will be almost my 3rd year in my business. I only have about 15 plowing accounts and would be nice to go down south and work in nice weather. Also meet the nice country women. CT is full of spoiled lazy snotty girls.

knox gsl
10-23-2011, 02:08 AM
We don't need anymore help down here, and we're stingy with our women. Seriously winter sucks here too but with no snow work. The grass will go till Nov. then pick up mid March. There's also not alot of leaf work. We shut down when there is talk of snow.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-23-2011, 02:26 AM
There is work here for drywall. $80 a day for 10 hrs. You'd e better off working at Disney seasonal or one of the other parks. Setting up lights or another seasonal contracting job here pays closer to 15=20 an hour if you can get on with a contractor.

deerewashed
10-23-2011, 09:23 AM
you could at least be a sub for another plow company.

Landscape Poet
10-23-2011, 09:42 AM
There is work here for drywall. $80 a day for 10 hrs. You'd e better off working at Disney seasonal or one of the other parks. Setting up lights or another seasonal contracting job here pays closer to 15=20 an hour if you can get on with a contractor.

+1 - but if you want to come spend your money at Disney or in our economy in some other way... I am all for it.

landscaper22
10-23-2011, 09:59 AM
We all get part-time jobs for 3 months and you'd better move further south then Jacksonville,Fl. Drywall-South? We don't have any new houses being built here. I don't know.

That's about what I was thinking. You would have to go to the Southern part of FL, otherwise after the leaves fall, there is not much lawn care to do around the south. I wouldn't depend on any other type work, not in this slump. I still find plenty of odd things to do to keep me busy, or just enjoy a little time off in the winter and do some things I want to do. Up north, there is no reason why you can't plow or something. We don't have that option in the south.

Ric
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM

DON'T COME TO FLORIDA UNLESS IT IS A VACATION. Even in good times winter work is not abundant or high paying. I put an ad for help on Crag's list and it was Flagged and Removed after being up for only 3 hours. I had 9 E mails from People looking for work in that short of a time period.

Florida has very little industry other than Tourism. Retail and construction are the only other large job areas. Construction is at a stand still and Retail stores including the Big Box stores are closing each day. Surprising my business is up slightly. But I feel that is because I am Networking with more people now, not the economy in general. If it was good times I would be swamped given the same networking.

whosedog
10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Did you ever consider getting a CDL and delivering heating oil? Another possibility driving a limo,that requires a passenger endorsement.

BPS##
10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
There is work here for drywall. $80 a day for 10 hrs.

Illegal wages.

205mx
10-23-2011, 10:34 AM
That is if you can find drywall work down South. There is hardly any work done here for those of us that are here in the South.

South as in North Carolina? or south as in Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia? Or south as in Florida?
Big Difference in the three. I lived in Bama before. Liked it there.

Ric
10-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Illegal wages.

Yep and we have Plenty of Illegals here in Florida to work for those wages. In Fact with our High unemployment we have plenty of Legals who will work for those wages.

Patriot Services
10-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Where do you northern guys get this foolish notion that Florida is the land of milk and honey with abundance for all?
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenie
10-23-2011, 10:49 AM
It was tough finding work in Florida when I lived there (college) back in 1972-1974. Sounds like it hasn't gotten any better.

soloscaperman
10-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Really? I can't even live on a farm for a few months milking cows and mend a fence lol?

Just want to get out CT for a bit and meet new people and see the work ethics in a different state.

Patriot Services
10-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Fence mending? Cow milking? You might want to think more along the lines of a "we buy gold" sign spinner. Maybe Ric will let you pull hose for him, at least you could glean some good info to take back with you.:usflag:

KrayzKajun
10-23-2011, 12:31 PM
And I was thinking opposite. Maybe coming up north during some good snow storms and driving a plow for someone. I've got a lot of family in the Fargo/Bismark area in North Dakota.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
10-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Here's Florida's secret.

Relatively low cost of living, especially in the center of the state. But with it comes low wages. Retirees' paradise. They made their money up north where the wages were higher and came here to live out their years at discount rates. At least half of your work will come from these peoeple. Remember why they moved here.

Weather. It's pretty hard to beat from mid-October to April. Sunny most of the time that time of year vs. the overcast and frigid temps of the north. It's absolutely miserable May through September. There is not enough work here as it is. If you think the people who have to live here in the unbearable heat and humidity are going anywhere when the weather is good, you are kidding yourself. I'm not letting you in here when the weather is good. Pay your dues :D

And that's it. That is what Florida has going for it. No pots of gold. But feel free to come on a vacation and see if you can prove me wrong. There are quite a few ratty wooden fences that could use repairing. But not many dairies. The smaller operations are all gone now.

soloscaperman
10-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the implies, shocking there isn't a D-bag that said something off topic or to make me look stupid. Didn't know Florida was that bad for work. I guess I better get more plowing accounts.

nepatsfan
10-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Where do you northern guys get this foolish notion that Florida is the land of milk and honey with abundance for all?
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont. I think of florida as a nice place to vacation with a lot of poor people and retirees and also loaded with illegals. I would never go there for the purpose of working. Better off staying where I am. Cost of living is low in florida, that's about the only thing I see they have going for them, that and the warm weather.

unkownfl
10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I really don't see this cost of living thing you guys are talking about. My power bill is 400+ rent in my neighborhood is 1600+ water is 100 and groceries are 150 a week??? I think there is places with a cheaper cost of living than Florida. Keep in mind its just my wife and I. Yes I could live a little cheaper but then what would I be living next too??? Hell just my fire insurance is over $3000 a year and I live far from the coast. Never mind how much fuel you will burn here because you have to drive to go anywhere no matter where you live. To those that can't find work in Florida you have issues. Retail is crazy this time of the year alone. $8 an hour is still legal in Florida BTW and is about what your going to make anywhere without some kind of skill. If you can lay hardwood or tile get with a sub for Lowes or Homedepot and you'll make a ton of money until the snow birds leave.

larryinalabama
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Well I'm not there yet, this will be almost my 3rd year in my business. I only have about 15 plowing accounts and would be nice to go down south and work in nice weather. Also meet the nice country women. CT is full of spoiled lazy snotty girls.

The only difference in the women is the accent. Also the Deep South has the largest women in the country.
Even the spring trornados havent been a huge boom for construction, the illagles have ruined the drywall trade, an all that industry does is ruin your back.

HRidgeLandscapes
10-23-2011, 11:11 PM
We don't need anymore help down here, and we're stingy with our women. Seriously winter sucks here too but with no snow work. The grass will go till Nov. then pick up mid March. There's also not alot of leaf work. We shut down when there is talk of snow.
Posted via Mobile Device

You all in knox quit mowing to early we mow til christmas on alot of accounts.. i figured there would be alot of leaf work in knox we stay busy for 2 months doing leaf work and we stay busy with snow removal too

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-23-2011, 11:40 PM
To be honest I am thinking about moving down south and mowing or doing some sort of work even being drywall and Taping. I just can't stand the cold up here and my body has a hard time adjusting from being in the sun. I do love the fall cleanup season and snow plowing but its the in between that sucks and I get bored during the winter time.

In a way it will be like a vacation and time away from the crappy state of CT.

real good money in snow but when there no snow I hunt and draw my employment Im Inc. so I can get a weekly check help pays my gas for my hunting hobby

slamjamrockinman
10-24-2011, 12:38 AM
And I was thinking opposite. Maybe coming up north during some good snow storms and driving a plow for someone. I've got a lot of family in the Fargo/Bismark area in North Dakota.
Posted via Mobile Device

Theres plenty of contractors looking for skid ops.(follow your thread in pics forum) We got NAILED with snow here last year. If you've never pushed snow, It's a blast!! especially in a skid. I'd go for it, Its something everyone's gotta do, theres just something awesome about it that's unexplainable.

Keith
10-24-2011, 01:11 AM
I really don't see this cost of living thing you guys are talking about. My power bill is 400+ rent in my neighborhood is 1600+ water is 100 and groceries are 150 a week??? I think there is places with a cheaper cost of living than Florida. Keep in mind its just my wife and I. Yes I could live a little cheaper but then what would I be living next too??? Hell just my fire insurance is over $3000 a year and I live far from the coast.

I guess everyone has a different standard which they can live with. Personally, I don't think $1600 a month is the norm. I haven't rented in ten years, but it would be high for a lot of areas in central Florida. Maybe not some areas, maybe not your neighborhood, but many areas. If you are paying $3000 on a year for homeowners insurance, inland, and paying $400 on electricity, I would say you are living in a pretty big place. That's great. But one could live here for less without living in the hood.

205mx
10-24-2011, 09:57 AM
You all in knox quit mowing to early we mow til christmas on alot of accounts.. i figured there would be alot of leaf work in knox we stay busy for 2 months doing leaf work and we stay busy with snow removal too

We do a lot of leaf work here in Brentwood/Franklin Williamson County.

knox gsl
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM

I'll finish up my leaves in the first of Dec. and then I'm dead till the first of spring. We don't get enough snow here to fool with and being a one man show I don't even offer anything.

Most everyone here freaks out and schools close down when we get a 1/2"dusting. It may be better that way because most people can't drive on clean dry roads.

hammmerhead
10-24-2011, 10:45 AM
I really don't see this cost of living thing you guys are talking about. My power bill is 400+ rent in my neighborhood is 1600+ water is 100 and groceries are 150 a week??? I think there is places with a cheaper cost of living than Florida. Keep in mind its just my wife and I. Yes I could live a little cheaper but then what would I be living next too??? Hell just my fire insurance is over $3000 a year and I live far from the coast. Never mind how much fuel you will burn here because you have to drive to go anywhere no matter where you live. To those that can't find work in Florida you have issues. Retail is crazy this time of the year alone. $8 an hour is still legal in Florida BTW and is about what your going to make anywhere without some kind of skill. If you can lay hardwood or tile get with a sub for Lowes or Homedepot and you'll make a ton of money until the snow birds leave.

Wow. You shell out $1600 a month for rent and $3000 for a renters policy or is the 3K for your Commercial GL?

Patriot Services
10-24-2011, 11:01 AM
No 3000 is for a homeowner policy. Thanks to hurricanes and sinkholes all the insurers bailed out. Now we have a state insurer called "citizens". They were just approved for a 400% increase after they claimed insolvency from sinkhole claims. Incidentally the sinkholes were caused by massive growth and piss poor water management. Basically this state got raped six ways to Sunday with the real estate boom. Sure you can live cheap in the hood or a trailer same as any other state.
Posted via Mobile Device

hammmerhead
10-24-2011, 11:21 AM
No 3000 is for a homeowner policy. Thanks to hurricanes and sinkholes all the insurers bailed out. Now we have a state insurer called "citizens". They were just approved for a 400% increase after they claimed insolvency from sinkhole claims. Incidentally the sinkholes were caused by massive growth and piss poor water management. Basically this state got raped six ways to Sunday with the real estate boom. Sure you can live cheap in the hood or a trailer same as any other state.
Posted via Mobile Device

He said he rented. You cant rent and have a homeowners policy that I am aware of.

Patriot Services
10-24-2011, 12:57 PM
He said he rented. You cant rent and have a homeowners policy that I am aware of.

He said rent in his neighborhood runs 1600. Houses in my community rent for that too. 2200 sqft 3/2/2 with pool. In metro Tampa a 2bdr apt will run a grand in an ok area. Point is it's a fallacy that Florida is cheap living.:usflag:

hammmerhead
10-24-2011, 01:54 PM
He said rent in his neighborhood runs 1600. Houses in my community rent for that too. 2200 sqft 3/2/2 with pool. In metro Tampa a 2bdr apt will run a grand in an ok area. Point is it's a fallacy that Florida is cheap living.:usflag:

Well that makes a little more sense. A lot of renting going on in Florida though and Im guessing it is as affordable as it has ever been considering where the market is. Things were so overbuilt in the Vaca. areas, wasnt there like two Condo's for each citizen a one point:)

Landscape Poet
10-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Well that makes a little more sense. A lot of renting going on in Florida though and Im guessing it is as affordable as it has ever been considering where the market is. Things were so overbuilt in the Vaca. areas, wasnt there like two Condo's for each citizen a one point:)

Actually the rental market I would say is strong...you forget we have had a foreclosure problem down here too.....people who get in a foreclosure usually end up renting while getting there credit/financial house back in order as not too many are going to give them a loan again. Also certain parts of FL have lots of internationals that rent there seasonal homes here too along with a select number of snowbirds that rent.

HRidgeLandscapes
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I'll finish up my leaves in the first of Dec. and then I'm dead till the first of spring. We don't get enough snow here to fool with and being a one man show I don't even offer anything.

Most everyone here freaks out and schools close down when we get a 1/2"dusting. It may be better that way because most people can't drive on clean dry roads.

everyone up this way thinks they can drive in the snow and it ends up creating a big mess

HRidgeLandscapes
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
We do a lot of leaf work here in Brentwood/Franklin Williamson County.

i figured there would be alot of high end clients down that way... im in murfeesboro alot and see peachtree down there all the time

weeze
10-24-2011, 10:44 PM
florida is expensive compared to here...you can rent here for $500 a month and florida has high property taxes and they are really cheap here...alot of retired people move here from florida because of that lol

but there's nothing to do here in the winter...chop wood maybe but there's no money in it....if it does snow here noone wants snow removal because everything shuts down and it will melt on it's own by the time things open up again......there's only 2 houses being built in 3 cities around me that i've seen so construction is a no no....only thing you could do here is find some part time work for holiday shopping rush lol...jan and feb there's nothing goin on...everyone here is afraid of cold weather and they don't even leave the house during those months...but i love it...i love the snow and cold weather...best thing to do during the cold months here is go hunting or something...just do stuff around the house....maybe go watch a basketball game lol

JodyG
10-26-2011, 10:56 AM
It just looks like paradise down here. With all the new buildings and such. Problem is that most are either vacant or owned by the bank. Seriously, I have been sidetracked since last year in the food service business and I have been considering getting back into the business. I am just not sure if it’s a smart move. After talking with some of the other local LCC’s the trend is for the customer to downsize the work. Maybe an account that you did everything now becomes a cut, blow & go. The south especially Atlanta was hit very hard with the housing market downfall. People are afraid to spend money. We just started doing some junk removal to have a little extra work. My advice, think of us as a Dayton, Ohio with a new paint job.

dhardin53
10-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I would love to winter in the South. I don't do snow around here. Is there any LCOs that have a employee problem? Need help. OK winter help only. I'm good for 5 month than I got to get back and mow my own accounts.

I speak good English, with plenty of experience, hard worker. Would like one day a week to enjoy the great weather.

Patriot Services
10-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I would love to winter in the South. I don't do snow around here. Is there any LCOs that have a employee problem? Need help. OK winter help only. I'm good for 5 month than I got to get back and mow my own accounts.

I speak good English, with plenty of experience, hard worker. Would like one day a week to enjoy the great weather.

Most operations layoff help in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Most operations layoff help in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup, your VC and Brickmans will downsize quite a bit in winter and keep their main guys through the winter. Your small operations will either go solo or 1 guy in the winter unless they have high-end homes. Stay where you are northern guys.

Patriot Services
10-26-2011, 02:52 PM
This thread is giving me the mental image of zombie northern LCO's banging on my windows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-26-2011, 02:58 PM
^hahahaha......need worrkkkkkkkk

Patriot Services
10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Noooooo brains.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
^hahahaha......need worrkkkkkkkk

this may or may not also be floridians...

KrayzKajun
10-26-2011, 03:31 PM
This thread is giving me the mental image of zombie northern LCO's banging on my windows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

dhardin53
10-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Did I mention I have a green card AND speak prefect English.

No I am just kidding you Florida guys. I just got back from a well deserved vacation in Florida 2 weeks ago.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Nope, if I'm not plowing snow or working, I'm either hunting or sitting in a ice house on Mille Lacs!

Duffster
11-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Did you ever consider getting a CDL and delivering heating oil? Another possibility driving a limo,that requires a passenger endorsement.

That'd have to be a dang big limo.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Perhaps instead of going south you should go way north and we can watch you on the deadliest catch opilio crab season.

Lugnut
11-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Theres plenty of contractors looking for skid ops.(follow your thread in pics forum) We got NAILED with snow here last year. If you've never pushed snow, It's a blast!! especially in a skid. I'd go for it, Its something everyone's gotta do, theres just something awesome about it that's unexplainable.

Any of the Southern guys who wanna see what plowings about, come up and spend a night out there with us, the snows falling and listening to the sound of the blade scraping over the music, strobe lights reflecting off everything...its a good time, and definitely a thrill...especially if you go up on some of the private backroads I personally plow on my route, Ill admit that usually once or twice a year I have to call another one of my trucks to come up and pull me out of a tight spot...

You guys might have so much fun that you'll wanna start coming up every winter...you gotta promise not to take any of my accounts if you do tho :drinkup:

Patriot Services
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Any of the Southern guys who wanna see what plowings about, come up and spend a night out there with us, the snows falling and listening to the sound of the blade scraping over the music, strobe lights reflecting off everything...its a good time, and definitely a thrill...especially if you go up on some of the private backroads I personally plow on my route, Ill admit that usually once or twice a year I have to call another one of my trucks to come up and pull me out of a tight spot...

You guys might have so much fun that you'll wanna start coming up every winter...you gotta promise not to take any of my accounts if you do tho :drinkup:

Born and raised in Buffalo, been there done that. That's the kicker, we work year round down here. If we disappeared for 3~4 months we wouldn't have any customers to come back to. I only visit and hunt in snow now.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
11-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Plowing snow in the middle of the night boy that sounds like real fun:sleeping:

Triplex
11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
This wouldn't help get you out of the cold, but I hear there's a huge demand for labor on North Dakota's gas fields - would probably be a good way for a landscaper to make money during the off-season.

KrayzKajun
11-13-2011, 09:57 PM
This wouldn't help get you out of the cold, but I hear there's a huge demand for labor on North Dakota's gas fields - would probably be a good way for a landscaper to make money during the off-season.

I was just in North Dakota last week. The demand for labor in the oil fields out there is crazy. If you have a CDL they will hire u right away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
11-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh boy! Cold, wet and greasy! Perfect environment for a LCO.
Posted via Mobile Device