PDA

View Full Version : New member seeking honest input on the john deee z910

485DEERE
10-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello, i am new here,but definately not the industry. Just curious if anyone here has owned/run the jd z910, and what you think of it. I just ordered one to replace my second problematic x540 in as many seasons. I realize it is only 22hp, but it will only be mowing 1.5acres of fairly level yards. I opted for the 54" deck, so it would have the wider tires. We currently run a 4720 and 2 deere wam's to mow a couple of large esates w/grass runways on them. I just bought this z910 for my home property. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

Jimslawncareservice
10-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Normally people ask this before they buy. Well anyway I have a z950. No problems does great on hills. Does great in wet or dry grass, talk or short, weedy or pure lush grass. Only problem is with the kawi. Mine uses oil and they don't know why. I have a 1xx hours on it. I bought it early-mid summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
The only issue you may have with the Z910 is related to power. From what I hear, they do run quite well even with the 22hp engine. My Z925 has 27hp with the 54" MOD deck, that has more than enough power for side discharging and mulching. So I would assume that 22hp should do well just side discharging and you shouldn't have too many problems with the power...I'd assume only on hills or when cutting heavy growth.

From the sounds of it, the Z910 will do well on your property. I think you'll like it.

485DEERE
10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Normally people ask this before they buy. Well anyway I have a z950. No problems does great on hills. Does great in wet or dry grass, talk or short, weedy or pure lush grass. Only problem is with the kawi. Mine uses oil and they don't know why. I have a 1xx hours on it. I bought it early-mid summer.
Posted via Mobile Devicei would be checking valve guides/seals, kawi has had issue in the past. thanks to all who replied, anyone else have input?

Jimslawncareservice
10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Since its under warranty I'm letting deere handle it
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnCareNoobie
10-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, my 925a's Kawasaki is using up oil too.

Do you ever get white smoke when starting up the mower? I see it now and then. I have warranty still as well, so it's definitely going to get taken care of.

LawnCareNoobie
10-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Hello, i am new here,but definately not the industry. Just curious if anyone here has owned/run the jd z910, and what you think of it. I just ordered one to replace my second problematic x540 in as many seasons. I realize it is only 22hp, but it will only be mowing 1.5acres of fairly level yards. I opted for the 54" deck, so it would have the wider tires. We currently run a 4720 and 2 deere wam's to mow a couple of large esates w/grass runways on them. I just bought this z910 for my home property. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

Should be a great mower for your property. I haven't had any issues with my mower (925a). I love it.

Just curious, what were the problems with the x540 that you were experiencing?

Jimslawncareservice
10-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes I see that smoke too. It smells like burnt Bacon
Posted via Mobile Device

ramcat
10-23-2011, 10:53 PM
our z950 smokes just a little on a cold start but if it only smokes on a cold start i would not worry about it. it smells bad and probably isn't ideal but at least in my situation it barely uses oil and we have almost 1100 hours on ours. no problems except a few deck belts.

485DEERE
10-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Should be a great mower for your property. I haven't had any issues with my mower (925a). I love it.

Just curious, what were the problems with the x540 that you were experiencing?they are great tractors except for one thing. the last 2 i owned, 2 in 2 years that is,i could not keep pto clutch bearings,or idler arm bearings in them. every 35-40hrs i had to replace them.

kubotafan
10-24-2011, 07:19 AM
This summer I bought a Z710A with a 54" deck as I was trying to keep weight to a minimum. I had the optional rear gauge wheels installed on the deck. It has worked very well for me.

weeze
10-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Since its under warranty I'm letting deere handle it
Posted via Mobile Device

mine used oil until 100hrs or so then it seemed to stop...it's been holding steady for 25hrs or so now.

to the OP i have 26hp with 54" and it does pretty well...it will bog down in really tall/thick or wet grass but most any mower will do that lol....any grass under a foot tall it won't bog down unless it's really thick or wet.

485DEERE
10-25-2011, 05:19 AM
i was told my new mower shipped from the factory yesterday. i am hoping to see it by saturday. thanks to all who posted. the biggest thing i hear on the 910 is the power issue. i think 22h.p. should be fine,as i won't use it in any commercial applications, just my 1.5 acre home place.

Robert Pruitt
10-26-2011, 10:29 PM
have the 920,54 PRO deck. bought new Sept. 2010 only problem was at about 200 hours it popped the deck belt. dealer had a service bulletin to add extra belt guides and new belt. if it happens again it says to replace PTO clutch,belt and both wheel motors. other than that it has been great. 360 hours as of today.

LawnCareNoobie
10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
The oil level in my 925a has remained the same for some time now. Looks like it will be ok. Season is winding down though, I'll probably just wait till spring and keep an eye on it.

Robert Pruitt
10-26-2011, 11:54 PM
also, have not had any oil issues. using Amsoil 10W-30 since first change at 5 hours.

luxurylawnsbyJB
07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I just bought a 910 with a 54" deck to replace my 1700hr exmark LazerZ with a 52" mulching. When I went to pick it up Saturday, it had a cracked fly-wheel, so I have to wait till Tuesday. I am looking to add a mulch kit and have been doing a lot of reading about how to change the jets out in the carb to get extra power from the engine, but have not decided to do that yet. The power issue was a small concern but I can live with it.

Ridin' Green
07-29-2012, 11:58 PM
I just bought a 910 with a 54" deck to replace my 1700hr exmark LazerZ with a 52" mulching. When I went to pick it up Saturday, it had a cracked fly-wheel, so I have to wait till Tuesday. I am looking to add a mulch kit and have been doing a lot of reading about how to change the jets out in the carb to get extra power from the engine, but have not decided to do that yet. The power issue was a small concern but I can live with it.

It isn't the jets you'll need to change. It's the throttle plate assembly. You will want to do it to run a mulcher or bagger with that engine/machine and deck size. Was this a used unit? Just curious about the flywheel being cracked.

Jimslawncareservice
07-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Why got through the hassle of changing throttle plates and what not. Why not just get the z920 or what ever size a person would need in any scenario. They can't be much higher. Last spring I was quoted 7750 for a z920 with a 54" and take 500 off that if o took 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Why got through the hassle of changing throttle plates and what not. Why not just get the z920 or what ever size a person would need in any scenario. They can't be much higher. Last spring I was quoted 7750 for a z920 with a 54" and take 500 off that if o took 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jim,
since the 910 and 920 share the exact same engine (other than the throttle plate), a lot of guys here have bought the 910 for a grand - 1500 less than the 920, and for $35 worth of parts and an hour or a bit more of their time have swapped plates and ended up with the 920 powerwise.
One guy here a while back posted that he bought a new 925 and swapped in the throttle plate from a 930. Why he didn't go with the plate from a 950 is beyond me, but he said he had no interest in swapping it out again for another couple ponies.

Jimslawncareservice
07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Jim,
since the 910 and 920 share the exact same engine (other than the throttle plate), a lot of guys here have bought the 910 for a grand - 1500 less than the 920, and for $35 worth of parts and an hour or a bit more of their time have swapped plates and ended up with the 920 powerwise.
One guy here a while back posted that he bought a new 925 and swapped in the throttle plate from a 930. Why he didn't go with the plate from a 950 is beyond me, but he said he had no interest in swapping it out again for another couple ponies.

The 910 and 920 I believe here are priced about 200-300 from each each other. The price really jumps though when you get to the z950 and up. Funny how they are priced so different. The z720 is just a few hundred less than the z910. Most dealers don't even carry them. I just figured for the little price difference here anyway why mess with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-30-2012, 11:35 AM
The 910 and 920 I believe here are priced about 200-300 from each each other. The price really jumps though when you get to the z950 and up. Funny how they are priced so different. The z720 is just a few hundred less than the z910. Most dealers don't even carry them. I just figured for the little price difference here anyway why mess with it.Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, but you know there's always someone who wants to save every last dime. On top of that, some guys just want to see if they can beat the manu's at their own game and save money at the same time.

Jimslawncareservice
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
I agree, but you know there's always someone who wants to save every last dime. On top of that, some guys just want to see if they can beat the manu's at their own game and save money at the same time.

Personally I would like to see from manufactures is a line up something like this. 23,29,35 and maybe one larger size engines. Then toss in similar sized diesels and efi or dfi. It would slim down some of thier lines. Why do they need have 10 models with 2hp between them. And then build a light weight smaller COMMERCIAL mower, like exmark had with thier hp line.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Personally I would like to see from manufactures is a line up something like this. 23,29,35 and maybe one larger size engines. Then toss in similar sized diesels and efi or dfi. It would slim down some of thier lines. Why do they need have 10 models with 2hp between them. And then build a light weight smaller COMMERCIAL mower, like exmark had with thier hp line.
Posted via Mobile Device

I couldn't agree more with all of that, and make them on different sized blocks so there's no crossing back and forth.

I know they do it this way to allow them to price hike for every 2 hp, but it's still BS.

Something about the size of the Z445, but one that is full on commercial duty would be very nice. I don't see why they couldn't use the little twin cylinder LQ diesel they used in the 355's with a 48" deck on a lighter weight machine. It'd be awesome IMO.

ProStreetCamaro
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Yep, my 925a's Kawasaki is using up oil too.

Do you ever get white smoke when starting up the mower? I see it now and then. I have warranty still as well, so it's definitely going to get taken care of.

My new 31hp blows a large cloud once in a while. I have found that if I cut it off at full throttle it almost never blows a cloud of smoke. Anything less than 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and it will blow a large cloud of smoke at least 50% of the time. I have never been a kawi fan and I am regretting buying this new mower with a kawi. I should have known better. Almost 30 years in this business and I have never owned a kawi that did not give us problems.

LawnCareNoobie
07-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The 717A and 727A seemed to fit that description the best. Really simple design. Glad I went with two 727's over the 737s. Same deck size and engine hp, just not as bulky and heavy.

Ridin' Green
07-31-2012, 12:39 AM
My new 31hp blows a large cloud once in a while. I have found that if I cut it off at full throttle it almost never blows a cloud of smoke. Anything less than 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and it will blow a large cloud of smoke at least 50% of the time. I have never been a kawi fan and I am regretting buying this new mower with a kawi. I should have known better. Almost 30 years in this business and I have never owned a kawi that did not give us problems.

You can get good and bad with all brands, but I did a search here a while back and found far more complaints about Kohlers blowing smoke and oil than Kawi's.

I am just the opposite of you I guess, because I'll take a Kawi anyday over a Kohler. I had a POS for a Kohler last year on my 720 when new. They did replace it under warrranty, and the new one was far, far better, but even it huffed smoke every 6th or 7th time often on start up- something the Kawi on my 950 does not do, and only did it one time when brand new on about the 5th start up. It has been a very good engine so far all the way around.

Jimslawncareservice
07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
The 717A and 727A seemed to fit that description the best. Really simple design. Glad I went with two 727's over the 737s. Same deck size and engine hp, just not as bulky and heavy.

But they don't make that frame anymore. I know of 2 companies ran between 6-8 each of the 717's. Not sure what they have now. I just don't understand why manufactures need to make a weigh 1500lbs and rising.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I couldn't agree more with all of that, and make them on different sized blocks so there's no crossing back and forth.

I know they do it this way to allow them to price hike for every 2 hp, but it's still BS.

Something about the size of the Z445, but one that is full on commercial duty would be very nice. I don't see why they couldn't use the little twin cylinder LQ diesel they used in the 355's with a 48" deck on a lighter weight machine. It'd be awesome IMO.

Sounds simple right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Sounds simple right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Does to me.

They already have a ton of parts inventory to support a unit with that engine. I think it'd sell well, especially with the downgrade in HP rating numbers on gassers. That 18 HP diesel would be perfect with the 48" deck, and run the 54'' probably just about as well. Can you imagine the fuel economy if they made the thing around 1000-1100 lbs?

Jimslawncareservice
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Does to me.

They already have a ton of parts inventory to support a unit with that engine. I think it'd sell well, especially with the downgrade in HP rating numbers on gassers. That 18 HP diesel would be perfect with the 48" deck, and run the 54'' probably just about as well. Can you imagine the fuel economy if they made the thing around 1000-1100 lbs?

It wouldn't use hardly any. My 1445 with a 60" goes around 15 hours without filling up.

What I meant was it sounds simple, until you get the lousy people at deere and other brands to make and release a mower like that. I just don't get the mentality of the mower manufactures these days.

Build a 2,000lb mower. Make it ride rough as Hell. And it uses 2 gallons of gas per hour. Having a diesel like the one you mentioned, would save us 50%-75% in fuel savings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
....and, it wasn't that much heavier than the Kawi LQ gas engine of equal HP they used in the later 335/345 series.

I knew that was what you meant Jim. I was just expanding on it a bit.:)

LawnCareNoobie
07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
But they don't make that frame anymore. I know of 2 companies ran between 6-8 each of the 717's. Not sure what they have now. I just don't understand why manufactures need to make a weigh 1500lbs and rising.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm aware of that. It's too bad really. I don't know why these machines are getting heavier either. But I can see where some of it is coming from. I think the frame of the new Deere is lighter weight, but it's the cast iron castor arms/forks and that heavy bumper on the back that gives it a lot of extra weight. Solid castor tires vs pneumatic.Then you have 11 gallons of fuel which adds around another 66 lbs (approx 6lbs gal), then the operators own weight on top. There's also the ROPs which wasn't standard on machines back in the day. Add it up and you get a much heavier machine.

Ridin' Green
07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm aware of that. It's too bad really. I don't know why these machines are getting heavier either. But I can see where some of it is coming from. I think the frame of the new Deere is lighter weight, but it's the cast iron castor arms/forks and that heavy bumper on the back that gives it a lot of extra weight. Solid castor tires vs pneumatic.Then you have 11 gallons of fuel which adds around another 66 lbs (approx 6lbs gal), then the operators own weight on top. There's also the ROPs which wasn't standard on machines back in the day. Add it up and you get a much heavier machine.

Glad to see you posting again LCN

I agree with most of what you just said except for the part about the frame. The C channel frame is really quite massive/heavy duty on both the 700 and 900 series (same exact frame inspite of what deere says in its literature. I have owned each and compared and measured them SXS. I'd bet good money that it actually weighs more than the smaller boxed frames on the earlier 700's.

LawnCareNoobie
07-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Glad to see you posting again LCN

I agree with most of what you just said except for the part about the frame. The C channel frame is really quite massive/heavy duty on both the 700 and 900 series (same exact frame inspite of what deere says in its literature. I have owned each and compared and measured them SXS. I'd bet good money that it actually weighs more than the smaller boxed frames on the earlier 700's.

Thanks, Glad to be back. Good to know that the newer frame is heavier. Too me, it just doesn't look that way. I thought maybe they made a lighter frame that's just as strong if not stronger. I'm just used to seeing the regular square tube style frames. lol

Ridin' Green
07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks, Glad to be back. Good to know that the newer frame is heavier. Too me, it just doesn't look that way. I thought maybe they made a lighter frame that's just as strong if not stronger. I'm just used to seeing the regular square tube style frames. lol

The steel C channel is about a 1/4" thick, and it is about 8" tall, growing in size to about 10"- maybe 12" tall at the rear. It's definately stout and stiff.

Go to this link and and scroll down towards the middle of the page and look at the "tour" of the 900. Click on the dot at the bottom below the picture 7th from the left and take a look at the frame itself-

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/z_trak_mowers/pro900_series/pro900_series.page

LawnCareNoobie
07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
The steel C channel is about a 1/4" thick, and it is about 8" tall, growing in size to about 10"- maybe 12" tall at the rear. It's definately stout and stiff.

Go to this link and and scroll down towards the middle of the page and look at the "tour" of the 900. Click on the dot at the bottom below the picture 7th from the left and take a look at the frame itself-

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/z_trak_mowers/pro900_series/pro900_series.page

Yes, I've seen it on the website. Don't forget I own a 925A. :) I have no doubt about it's strength. I don't think that Deere would make a frame that's weaker than prior models and it's competition. I just thought it would be lighter in weight that's all.

Ridin' Green
07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
See what happens when you stop posting for a while? I end up forgetting all that info? LOL

Actually, I didn't remember that you had a 900 mower. I thought that you had run only the previous 700 series mowers for someone, somewhere, for a living for a while, and still owned one of them.

LawnCareNoobie
07-31-2012, 10:51 PM
See what happens when you stop posting for a while? I end up forgetting all that info? LOL

Actually, I didn't remember that you had a 900 mower. I thought that you had run only the previous 700 series mowers for someone, somewhere, for a living for a while, and still owned one of them.

I have two 727A's and a 925A. I used to have a 757 but I traded that in for the 925. I have a picture of my 925A in another thread. Don't remember which one but here it is. I also run an 820A at work (groundskeeper). So a bit of experience on different models.

Ridin' Green
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I have two 727A's and a 925A. I used to have a 757 but I traded that in for the 925. I have a picture of my 925A in another thread. Don't remember which one but here it is. I also run an 820A at work (groundskeeper). So a bit of experience on different models.

I remembered that pic as soon as I saw it. I also commented in your thread how it looked so nice and new. See what happens when you get older? You get a severe case of CRS.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

luxurylawnsbyJB
08-01-2012, 02:54 AM
It isn't the jets you'll need to change. It's the throttle plate assembly. You will want to do it to run a mulcher or bagger with that engine/machine and deck size. Was this a used unit? Just curious about the flywheel being cracked.

It was a new unit fresh from the crate... the mesh of the starter and the flywheel was off and the person(s) who assembled it at the factory tightened it down, i guess thats where it got cracked.

as an update, I ended up getting a different machine, still a 910 though... I mowed 7 lawns with it last night and have an oppinion on the machine. It is much better than the 10yr old Exmark LazerZ hp that it is replacing.... I don't have a mulch kit on it yet, but in 2ft tall wet bahia, it mowed it down at 4in without bogging it down. I do believe a little more power would be nice,(power is always nice)

luxurylawnsbyJB
08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
You can get good and bad with all brands, but I did a search here a while back and found far more complaints about Kohlers blowing smoke and oil than Kawi's.

I am just the opposite of you I guess, because I'll take a Kawi anyday over a Kohler. I had a POS for a Kohler last year on my 720 when new. They did replace it under warrranty, and the new one was far, far better, but even it huffed smoke every 6th or 7th time often on start up- something the Kawi on my 950 does not do, and only did it one time when brand new on about the 5th start up. It has been a very good engine so far all the way around.

The LazerZ HP has a 23hp Kohler and it puffs smoke after sitting for a couple days, but then its fine the rest of the week, but it is burning some oil, about half a quart every 50hrs. That engine has over 1600hrs on it.

Ridin' Green
08-01-2012, 01:46 PM
The LazerZ HP has a 23hp Kohler and it puffs smoke after sitting for a couple days, but then its fine the rest of the week, but it is burning some oil, about half a quart every 50hrs. That engine has over 1600hrs on it.

The Kohler on my 720 used a quart in the time from when I did the initial break-in oil change at 8 hours up to 45 when they took it in and replaced it. That's a quart in 37 hours. It smoked like mad every single time I started it, sometimes so bad you couldn't see anything in the shop for several minutes. The Kawi I have now hasn't used any at all, and I hope it stays that way. All my other Kaw's have been good about it too.