PDA

View Full Version : Is your area full of low quality commercial work?

Exact Rototilling
10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Businesses, home owners association green belts and perimeters. Generally it seems that the quality and attention to detail is fairly low....ok painfully low.

Clippings blown all over walking paths or street and stay there [they donít own blowers or donít care], looks like a mowed hayfield and not just on rainy days. Lawn edging that is scalped [summer burned] and tapered down to ZERO like a Marine Corps haircut with a touch of moss combined with a nodule of grass that could easily be removed with even vertical edging with a string trimmer.

When round-up is used it looks excessive and miss applied. Weeds growing up in the cracks of the side walks and gutters....?

I would have to say that easily 60% to 70% of the commercial work is in this range... in my area. It might be just be me but thatís the way I see it. :confused:

JB1
10-23-2011, 12:53 PM
they get what they pay for and a lot of them really don't want to pay anything.

Think Green
10-23-2011, 01:40 PM
It is hard to make assumptions without pictures to conclude your thesis. In today's market of increasing fuel prices and labor costs, you are going so see crappy quality work using high dollar materials. Simple as that!
Customers are already asking me for cutbacks to already simple lawns where money cannot be cut...........? No mulching or bagging then! So in essence they are getting what they want and with the best of quality you can perform for the money.

The mindset of the new generation of customers is..........."What can I get more of for less!" To satisfy the demand for services, newer LCO's have bastardized the services us old timers used to charge more for! This is the simple truth!!

GMLC
10-23-2011, 01:45 PM

I agree 100%. They choose the lowest bid and it shows...

williams lcm
10-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I see this all the time. Grass between cracks ect. Even the ones that do get paid well are lacking detail. They just dont care. They get it mowed and go. Some in the business dont even like cutting grass. They just want the money. You got 2 like what you do.

32vld
10-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Too add income has dropped 10% over the last four years.

Many can't afford and have to cut back. Easy to cut back lawn care. Not so easy when the utilites want to cut off the electric gas oil water phone.

michael14
10-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I have that problem in my area some "professional landscapers" here don't even edge so I'm just starting and pretty much have to be dirt cheap to get any clients and I do a better job than most well established company's here
Posted via Mobile Device

slamjamrockinman
10-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Biggest thing I have noticed in area is really bad rutting issues. Guys using Z's on long and more narrow sections of the property where they are really only able to cut in one direction due to a bank/hill or something. Areas that should be mowed with a walk behind and altering stripe directions each week, which would take a lot longer, but is the proper way to do it.

michael14
10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
A lot of what it is, I think it's people who see the potential profit bit don't really ev atleast in my area en know the proper way to mow
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-24-2011, 09:00 AM
A whole bunch in Tampa and its all now called Valley Crest. We had 2 major players get bought out by them and now they took bankrupt Villas accounts too.
Posted via Mobile Device

205mx
10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Not really here. not full, but there is this guy who mows taco bell- well its hilarious. he ahs a nice truck though...

weeze
10-24-2011, 11:21 PM
some look great here others look terrible...the taco bells...both of them have bad ruts in them lol...but the burger king looks perfect...i seen the guy that does it...he has a tractor craftsman mower with a bagger and he goes really slow doing it lol.

bohiaa
10-25-2011, 12:07 AM
some look great here others look terrible...the taco bells...both of them have bad ruts in them lol...but the burger king looks perfect...i seen the guy that does it...he has a tractor craftsman mower with a bagger and he goes really slow doing it lol.

Funny you guys talk about these places. We used to do a Burger King, and they were CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP. Now OUR taco Bell, this is a diffrent story.

Were DOing color change 3 times per year. and it looks like because of Road work in the area, there going to tear down the bulding and rebuild it 500 feet from where it is Now.

Crazy hu ? But this place does a wonderfull Business.

Best of Luck to all

weeze
10-25-2011, 12:18 AM
the burger king here is the busiest in the country i think lol...that place is packed full no matter what time of day...6am until midnite

there a few factories where the job is ok...the car lots all have good looking grass...the rest suck lol

bohiaa
10-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Yea, Kind of funny when a place does Very well, they keep it looking great, and when there NOT then they dont...

This has always been a selling point for me.....

I would turn it around and sell my services to a Location....

Simply inform them,,,,, LOOK AT THE BUSINESS TOCO BELL IS DOING !!!

It's because the landscaping looks so GOOD....

It works sometimes.....

Luck

fastbs
10-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Been doing 8 locations for one customer for 10 years. This year someone is paying someone else to cut one location. We can't figure who it is but theses building are leased to chains and someone must think they are supposed to have it mowed.

Whoever is doing the work doesn't pick up trash, trim the back of the property, or blow off the ac units. They also blow grass all over the side of the building and tear up the lawn turnning.
I straighten up what I can and notify the property owners. Wish we could figure it out cause picking up the shreaded trash sucks. If I wasn't an honest person I could bill like we did the full service and they would never know but the mess and poor job left behind is awful. Wouldn't want someone to notice and think I had left it that way.

On a side note I wish all my customers were like these guys. I can do whatever needs done, bill for it and they say thankyou with no questions asked.
Posted via Mobile Device