PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Metro Problem

R&MLawnServices
10-23-2011, 02:36 PM
I bought a late 90's Exmark metro 36" mower about a week ago, everything seemed fine when I ran it around at the previous owner's house. After using it a few hrs the other day I started to notice it jerking about every 8 secs while mowing. It feels almost like what a stick shift car would feel like if you pushed the clutch in while going down the road then dump it.

Its like it loses power from the belts for a sec then catches and jerks and pulls like normal again. I've never seen a problem like this so I was hoping someone on here had seen this type of problem before out of a belt drive walk behind. Thanks in advance.

TLS
10-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Peerless transmission is crapping out on you.

fatboynormmie
10-23-2011, 03:10 PM
If the output shafts from the trans stop turning intermittently then restart again check for a slipping trans belt.

Richard Martin
10-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Sounds like the shift keys in that Peerless tranny to me. Been there, fixed that.

StanWilhite
10-23-2011, 03:40 PM
That may be the reason he sold it. I believe I'd go see him and tell him what's happening and see what his reaction is...he might pay for part of the repair bill.

TLS
10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Sounds like in input shaft pinion gear is worn, or there are broken gear teeth somewhere.

Does it happen in all gears?

In any event, parts are available to repair, or you can buy new for under $300

Patriot Services
10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
If it happens in all gears look at the shaft couplers. The fine splines are known to strip out. If your lucky only the axle end stripped and not the tranny side.
Posted via Mobile Device

JABBERS
10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Just a side note

Make sure you don't leave the mower in gear on your trailer. The constant starting and stopping will hurt the transmission.

R&MLawnServices
10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Sounds like I have a few things to checkout, thx for all the great info. Worse case I'll just buy a new transmission if and when this one craps out.